It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
per Feder. who cares anyway I guess. They should do away with entire Sports dept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Newspapers are dead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:02 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Newspapers are dead
:alien:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am 

Chris Hine made the right call jumping the Tronc ship

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hopefully fellow geezers JORR ,Reader and Pasta will vouch for me here but I feel kinda sad that this generation of kids won’t know the excitement of waiting to open the newspaper sports section and read the columns of lifers like Ray Sons, Bill Gleason , Jerome Holtzman, etc . I know that info has been replaced by the internet but there was something said to be sitting at the kitchen table eating your breakfast before school and reading about your favorite sport.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
Hopefully fellow geezers JORR ,Reader and Pasta will vouch for me here but I feel kinda sad that this generation of kids won’t know the excitement of waiting to open the newspaper sports section and read the columns of lifers like Ray Sons, Bill Gleason , Jerome Holtzman, etc . I know that info has been replaced by the internet but there was something said to be sitting at the kitchen table eating your breakfast before school and reading about your favorite sport.

Those were the days.

Hopefully someone comes along and kills the internet soon so people can regain some semblance of sanity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Those were the days.

Hopefully someone comes along and kills the internet soon so people can regain some semblance of sanity.

You are spot on BR. I delivered the DH on foot from ages 10-15. I loved seeing the box scores every day. I have had home delivery my entire life and still enjoy reading the paper in a traditional sense. It is one of those simple pleasures in life, like a hot cup of black coffee, that I look forward to each morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:

Great point, Rogue!

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
When I lived with my grandparents for awhile, I was inducted into the "sit around the kitchen table reading the newspaper" morning club. It was really comforting, actually. Collecting the newspaper from the porch and sitting down with a hot drink and a piece of toast while reading through the Trib and Daily Herald is a simple, quiet pleasure.

Whereas sitting at my coffee table with my phone out swiping around reddit as I eat cereal is devoid entirely of humanity or pleasure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am 

Dewskie wrote:
When I lived with my grandparents for awhile, I was inducted into the "sit around the kitchen table reading the newspaper" morning club. It was really comforting, actually. Collecting the newspaper from the porch and sitting down with a hot drink and a piece of toast while reading through the Trib and Daily Herald is a simple, quiet pleasure.

Whereas sitting at my coffee table with my phone out swiping around reddit as I eat cereal is devoid entirely of humanity or pleasure.

Yup.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Booby's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Those were the days.

I agree!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:53 am 

The long early morning bus rides were made tolerable with a newspaper. I actually had forgotten how all the "jocks" would sit around talking about what we'd read, as opposed to today's practice of forwarding video clips alone.

I think the routine was: front/back page, Royko's column, then game stories and game recaps. Later followed by a detailed exam of the agate page.

Newspapers suck. Give me a phone or tv.

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
denisdman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Those were the days.

You are spot on BR. I delivered the DH on foot from ages 10-15. I loved seeing the box scores every day. I have had home delivery my entire life and still enjoy reading the paper in a traditional sense. It is one of those simple pleasures in life, like a hot cup of black coffee, that I look forward to each morning.

Was about to say the same thing. Delivered the Times and Trib from 8-14. Loved reading the box scores, the stories and columns (especially Sons). Hated Tuesdays and Saturdays because the paper (and the sports section) was so thin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
The long early morning bus rides were made tolerable with a newspaper. I actually had forgotten how all the "jocks" would sit around talking about what we'd read, as opposed to today's practice of forwarding video clips alone.

I think the routine was: front/back page, Royko's column, then game stories and game recaps. Later followed by a detailed exam of the agate page.

I wasn't a Trib guy, but I used to make it a point to read Royko if a paper was laying around. I probably only got about 25% of what he wrote because I never lived in the city nor did I have a grasp of Chicago politics at 16 years old. It was my opinion that his writing was genius, and I was just too naive to fully enjoy it all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I dont necessarily miss having to wait until the next morning to use the newspaper to see the standings and leaderboards because my mom was on the phone all evening the night before, I just miss the world that surrounded me when that was part of my routine.

Same reason people are fretting about Toys R Us going under. Nobody fucking went to Toys R Us anymore. They didnt go backrupt because they were too popular :lol: . People just attribute Toys R Us to a better, simpler time. You ever hear someone bitch about Home Depot and then say "now Handy Andy, THAT was how to run a big box hardware store"? Everyone will sort of nod and agree. Even though I was only 9 when Handy Andy went under and even I remember distinctly how shitty Handy Andy was when I went there with my dad. But the world that surrounded Handy Andy was better, and looking back on things from that time that are no longer here makes them attributable to those better times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the citizens of this country are too cheap an ignorant to pay for news, so they get free news, which is worth exactly what they pay.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
the citizens of this country are too cheap an ignorant to pay for news, so they get free news, which is worth exactly what they pay.

When it comes to sportswriting, The Athletic has proven that we will pay for a quality product. I believe the same is true when it comes to news.

I'm a proud subscriber to The Athletic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
McNeil is Handy Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Those were the days.

Its funny you say that.

About a month and one week ago, one of my kids threw an errant ball that struck my $3,000, limited edition, highest-rated, no longer make them, plasma television that gets the darkest darks on the market and cannot be repaired or replaced.

However, . . . it has been a blessing in disguise, as my kids were watching way too much tv and youtube on tv (smart tv). They were almost not even touching any of their toys, just vegging out on this thing, but. . . the weekend it broke, I have all these Presidents' Day flyers spamming my email, so I actually found a suitable replacement, . . . but my wife said "No" and wanted to see how this would play out.

Truth be told, it is a blessing. The kids play waaaay more, and if I really need to watch a show, I can do it on my computer. Now Mrs. Panthro is yelling at me for not cancelling Xfinity, which is still billing us about $300/Mo. I tried, but they make you take a physical trip to turn in your equipment, and I just have not found the extra time to make that trip.

Either way, you should try it - it is liberating!

-PP

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
to me, even with the advent of the internet the baseball box scores in the paper the next morning were the best thing about them. it's like as long as the box scores are in the paper the world is OK, you know?

i didn't grow up with the halcyon era of newspaper columnists or anything, but i do remember jay mariotti attempting to coin the term "the blizzard of oz" for ozzie guillen and things like that. i remember calling the guy "the windsock" cuz his superpower seemed to be going hard in whatever direction the wind was blowing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

When it comes to sportswriting, The Athletic has proven that we will pay for a quality product. I believe the same is true when it comes to news.

I'm a proud subscriber to The Athletic

I am as well. And I still get the Trib.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Those were the days.

I'm a subscriber to the WSJ. I tried doing digital subscription but it sucked. Physical paper is the only way to go especially with the weekend edition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
badrogue17 wrote:

Still can. On your tablet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Newspapers suck. Give me a phone or tv.

Pick a lane. You're gramps in one thread and a wannabe millenial in this one.

Get it together before the Purdue game pal :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

The DH has a terrific online edition newspaper (not their crappy website articles). It looks exactly like the regular paper. But even with that, it is still easier to navigate with the old fashioned type.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Tribune also didn't bother sending a reporter to cover the IHSA basketball state finals, even though CPS teams were involved. The Sun-Times did have a lot of coverage from Michael O'Brien.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I'm a younger generation - still in his mid-30s - and I subscribe to a newspaper. It's the best place to still get local news.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The Tribune also didn't bother sending a reporter to cover the IHSA basketball state finals, even though CPS teams were involved. The Sun-Times did have a lot of coverage from Michael O'Brien.

The DH does a great job with local reporting. It is the only reason to read anymore. They are all over IHSA stuff and have different editions depending on where you live. If a local team is in it, they do long form articles. Larkin got a ton of press with their run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
As a youth, used to love going to see my Grandma in Lemont and getting the Sun Times and Tribune.