It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
Jason got Terry's spot because Dan wanted Jason to have Terry's spot.

I like Jay as a guy, but when he came back fro ATL he wasn't himself at all. He embraced the Bernsie and became a know it all bag who thought social issues were more important than the topics he was paid to discuss. Add in a little it of Larry that EVERYTHING is about race (yes, we know some things are) and that was the final nail. Fun producer/ Last Call Jason would have done just fine. This Jason wasn't going to succeed.

The irony is that if you told this to Jason, he'd probably say "no no no, you can't tell me what to talk about and expect me to be good, I gotta be me." But you're not being you! You're actively trying to be what Ralph Nas would have been if he had lived long enough for Twitter.

I think this is where Jason's lack of formal training really did him in. The balance between doing your job for your audience and doing your job for yourself has to be one of the biggest basics of journalism school.

Yeah but that’s where maybe the guy that’s been doing the job for 20 years or the manager of the station needs to reign him in instead of acting like there’s nothing that could be done or even encouraging him to be that way.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
Jason got Terry's spot because Dan wanted Jason to have Terry's spot.

I like Jay as a guy, but when he came back fro ATL he wasn't himself at all. He embraced the Bernsie and became a know it all bag who thought social issues were more important than the topics he was paid to discuss. Add in a little it of Larry that EVERYTHING is about race (yes, we know some things are) and that was the final nail. Fun producer/ Last Call Jason would have done just fine. This Jason wasn't going to succeed.

The irony is that if you told this to Jason, he'd probably say "no no no, you can't tell me what to talk about and expect me to be good, I gotta be me." But you're not being you! You're actively trying to be what Ralph Nas would have been if he had lived long enough for Twitter.

I think this is where Jason's lack of formal training really did him in. The balance between doing your job for your audience and doing your job for yourself has to be one of the biggest basics of journalism school.

Yeah but that’s where maybe the guy that’s been doing the job for 20 years or the manager of the station needs to reign him in instead of acting like there’s nothing that could be done or even encouraging him to be that way.

As bad as B&G were, most of the failures of that show fall upon Mitch as it is his job as the PD to step in if the content of the show is not what he wants or what the audience wants. They really needed to have show meetings daily

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 am 

I mean , that’s literally a PD’s job isn’t it ? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
I mean , that’s literally a PD’s job isn’t it ? :lol:

Maybe Mitch felt that when you fall into a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Jason Goff, you just stand back and let the magic happen, even if the magic is "LEBRON DOESN'T SUCK YOU SUCK MAYBE YOU'RE GAY I LEASE A LUXURY CAR"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:39 am 

I don't think that's really the job of a program director. They are more like GMs in sports. It was his fault there wasn't a producer to work on these things though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I read an article a few weeks ago where a Tampa site did an interview with Rock, and in it he had some thoughts on Mitch and how he was as a boss.

I have to try and find it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am 

No, the program director is supposed to take responsibility for stuff like that on talk stations, not producers. Producers are there to tell the host he's doing a great job, book guests, run the board, send interns for coffee, etc. You wouldn't have Nick Shepkowski sit Dan and Jason down to tell them they're losing their way and need to get back to the comedy and weirdness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think that's really the job of a program director. They are more like GMs in sports. It was his fault there wasn't a producer to work on these things though.

Yeah Goff seems pretty receptive to criticism, especially from someone like Shep which is where it would’ve came from in that scenario .

Edit : of course , what CH said .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:46 am 

Here it is. Not a Tampa site I guess.

http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/03/qa-with-john-mamola/

Quote:
The one thing I always respected about working for Mitch Rosen is he gave you tons of feedback.

Quote:
The one thing I give Mitch Rosen a lot of credit for — and there will be many, many other people if you ever ask about Mitch Rosen that have worked or work for him, they will say the exact same thing that I’m about to say — that guy will tell you point blank exactly what he thinks and he will help you get somewhere else if you want to go somewhere else. And that’s exactly what he did. We sat down in the office and he told me, “Look, you’re doing a great job, but unfortunately right now there’s just no possible way to crack the daily lineup.” So I asked him, “Well in that case if I were to find something, could you assist in that process?” He didn’t hesitate. He said, “Absolutely. You’ve worked very hard for me. I’ll do my very best to help you build your future here in this business.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Quote:
The one thing I always respected about working for Mitch Rosen is he gave you tons of feedback.

Quote:
The one thing I give Mitch Rosen a lot of credit for — and there will be many, many other people if you ever ask about Mitch Rosen that have worked or work for him, they will say the exact same thing that I’m about to say — that guy will tell you point blank exactly what he thinks and he will help you get somewhere else if you want to go somewhere else. And that’s exactly what he did. We sat down in the office and he told me, “Look, you’re doing a great job, but unfortunately right now there’s just no possible way to crack the daily lineup.” So I asked him, “Well in that case if I were to find something, could you assist in that process?” He didn’t hesitate. He said, “Absolutely. You’ve worked very hard for me. I’ll do my very best to help you build your future here in this business.”

Is Mitch still doing that 15 years later?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Well based on that article, unlessRock is just spewing bullshit to be nice to a fairly powerful guy in the radio industry the only conclusion you can draw is that Mitch didn’t give any criticism because he didn’t think they needed any criticism and that he thought the show was great. Which also means that Mitch him self was overruled went deCastro came in and spanked him and put into a corner for not reigning those guys in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 am 

Quote:
Noe: So you have “The Rock” on your arms?

John: I do. I have my nickname on my right forearm and my last name on my left forearm.

What, in case he forgets?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

John: I do. I have my nickname on my right forearm and my last name on my left forearm.

Any chance he will discuss mustache rides on his show?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol:

Nas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is Mitch still doing that 15 years later?

Sounds like no.

I remembered reading it and thought it was interesting to contrast what Mitch was to what he appears to be now.

Curious Hair wrote:
No, the program director is supposed to take responsibility for stuff like that on talk stations, not producers. Producers are there to tell the host he's doing a great job, book guests, run the board, send interns for coffee, etc. You wouldn't have Nick Shepkowski sit Dan and Jason down to tell them they're losing their way and need to get back to the comedy and weirdness.
I'll defer to you on that for obvious reasons.

It just seems like a producer should be the primary driver of what is and isn't working about a show but I guess the personalities may be too big for it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Well based on that article, unlessRock is just spewing bullshit to be nice to a fairly powerful guy in the radio industry the only conclusion you can draw is that Mitch didn’t give any criticism because he didn’t think they needed any criticism and that he thought the show was great. Which also means that Mitch him self was overruled went deCastro came in and spanked him and put into a corner for not reigning those guys in.

Yep.

Sounds like he liked the show and couldn't recognize that it had gone south.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:06 pm 
Digging through some old files the other day I found a folder with some of the old TB Diddlers commercials and the Bruce Webber answering machine and stuff like that. THAT is what made that show funny and gave them huge ratings. Not entire weeks of entire shows devoted to Penn State.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:24 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Digging through some old files the other day I found a folder with some of the old TB Diddlers commercials and the Bruce Webber answering machine and stuff like that. THAT is what made that show funny and gave them huge ratings. Not entire weeks of entire shows devoted to Penn State.

Put that shit up on YouTube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

Sounds like he liked the show and couldn't recognize that it had gone south.

Quote:
we brought in Jen Patterson who was a waitress at Gibsons Steakhouse that went to I think Columbia. She wanted to get into media in some sort of fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Mitch is like Marv Lewis..I have no idea how this clown has held onto his job this long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:29 pm 

312player wrote:
Mitch is like Marv Lewis..I have no idea how this clown has held onto his job this long.

Yes you do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Baby McNown wrote:

the goofy shit. like i said when this went down. thats what the masses want. funny drops, hilarious segments. not diatribes. Goff couldnt' realize that. maybe dan didn't either. the moment goff came on all that stuff went away. maybe dan was like finally we can get rid of that crap. and goff did too. or maybe it was just goff.

but the more i think about it you were probably right. this is what dan wanted too. and people stopped listening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Jen Jen ..The Engine!!
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Panther pislA wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Will Goff ever learn that airing this stuff publicly isn't great for future career opportunities?

Jason is a messy bitch who loves drama. Maybe he should have been Mac's partner.

I always got the feeling that Goffer liked dudes.

He gushed about guys being good-looking an awful lot.

Maybe he should give San Francisco a try for a fresh start.

as i've pointed out several times over the years, i went to bourbonnais 09 to do a b&b live remote and see the cutler era kick off and ~2-3 times outta nowhere while watching practice i get tapped on the back of my shoulder and turn around to see jason george goff there staring at me with a "sup?" nod before he walked away. after multiple instances of this i just kind of was "huh?" and ran out to the car to get a freestyle CD for him cuz i figured he might have been a fan from the messageboard or something? i had no idea, but it was definitely odd, weird, and kind of intense. you know, you got this dude all up in your shit multiple times trying to convey some message and you have no idea what the fuck he's on about. plus he had the natural ability to get right behind you within inches without you detecting it, which is a trait i've only observed in one other person who disappeared from the ol party-apartment-above-exedus-II scene after he baited someone to go see DJ spunkshooter with him and proceeded to disappear in a disrobing congo line.

from there goff wanted people to facebook him and comment on his sports stories, so i did it with some grade A wit and intelligentsia and he'd go out of his way to delete all of my comments every time without fail.... tho he didn't block me until i e-mailed him like "what the fuck is up with your creepy ass?" to which he called me a weird dude, started blocking me everywhere (including accounts i've never even efforted the guy on) and then spmack over here decided to pick up pom poms for him via ether and yeah. i reckon most know the rest.... goffralopithicus flipped it to where i was his "stan" / deranged-superfan even tho this dude is just.... idk. i wish him well in his future endeavors but there's just something "off" about this dude.

and i'll always chuckle when i hear the dichotomy of him carrying on about brothers in their white shirts on chicago ave like he's some authority on that... cuz he once dated a girl from oak park =D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

Put that shit up on YouTube

seconded. holy shit we need TB diddlers commercials on the youtubes..... if you wanna do it simpler than making a video, you can dump it to a mp3/audio-file and go to http://www.tunestotube.com and upload a picture and the mp3 and it'll make the video for you (provided you let it have access to your youtube-google account.... i've done all of my songs this way and i can vouch for them as being perfectly innocuous-to-trustworthy =)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Bernstein was a big influence behind the scenes in all of this.

We're talking about Parkins knowing about this. What about Bernstein? He was aware. He sold Goff out to save his own ass. He blamed the bad show on Goff. No doubt about it. Bernstein knew about this a month ago. I'm sure of that. And wanted to make sure he had a chair when the music stopped.

The show wasn't very good, obviously, way too much non-sports topics, too much name calling to listeners with different views, etc.

But....Was the ratings on this new show any worse OR just the thought that the show itself wasn't very good?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Obviously Goff doesnt understand this but sorry bruh, Dan Bernstein doesnt owe you a fucking thing. As good dolphin has alluded to many times, Bernstein has said he feels no need to mentor or provide opportunities for people whom he's worked with. why is he surprised by anything Lil Danny may have done to save own ass?

Agreed.

But Goff has always been a naive sucker.

But in his defense, The SCORE is all he's known his entire life. Calling as a kid, and he got to work there at 19.

Goff loved Dan Bernstein. He never realized that Dan Bernstein never loved him. Hell, he never realized Dan Bernstein was a racist for the love of God.

Goff thought of Bernstein as his daddy. Or at least a cool ass cracker Uncle.

In the end, Bernstein "wang-whipped" Goff. Granted, if the Jewish stereo type is true, it didn't physically hurt Goff that much. But emotionally this "wang-whipping" has crushed Goff.

Once again, this is sad. But I warned Goff a long time ago.

Just because Goff may feel that Bernstein did him wrong doesn't mean that it actually happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

It doesn't mean it. But I think Goff is correct.

Being fired stings no matter what. But this hurts Goff more for two reasons.

1. Bernstein back stabbed him.

2. Da Ma Na got hired to replace him. Da Ma Na was Goff's long time enemy. At one point Goff thought he had defeated Mac. But Mac came back to officially claim victory. That sucks for Goff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next