It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 am 

I got a cheeseburger in a tijauana donkey show bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i bet it was quite flavorful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Learn a few Mexican words and phrases, too.

Cerveza es muy importante.

Nah, if I'm on vacation in a tropical location, it's tropical drink time for me. Laying at the pool with a margharita or pina colada by my side.

With the way my My Favorite Poster and Hero has been bothering me this year, I'd be a little hesitant to eat something that can possibly bother me even more. Maybe by then the medicine I'm taking will be taking full effect and allowing me to be a little adventurous. I don't want another vacation where I miss out on things like I did several years ago in Jamaica when I got food poisoning :puker: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

one thing to note. the meat tastes different down there. much leaner and not full of steroids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
one thing to note. the meat tastes different down there. much leaner and not full of steroids.

If you like that, let me know if you ever want some Venison chops. I've got shitloads at the moment, and always willing to share a harvest.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli

Maybe, but the level of competition in the cow races is significantly lessened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I have been to "Vacation Mexico" (Acapulco, Cancun, Mazatlan, etc) about 20 times and never once got sick eating the street vendors stuff. Almost always fresh tacos.

Also had a bunch of trips to Nogales and Tijuana, only got sick once, but that was from a Margarita in Tijuana, and it was a quick 'toss' and right back in the game.

Nogales. (I decided to delete everything I just typed here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:40 pm 

I like to say that it's not corn fed beef like we have here. The burgers are awful typically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:22 am 
1000 CLUB

i actually liked the burgers once I got used to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:16 pm 

i actually liked the burgers once I got used to them.

How many cold Corona's did you have at that point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I like to say that it's not corn fed beef like we have here. The burgers are awful typically.

Latin American beef is typically grass fed, which is a much healthier and more environmentally sound way to raise cattle than feeding them on corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
But tastes worse, IMO. Never been a huge fan of grass-fed beef, although considering I'm downing a Lean Pocket right now, you probably have the right to question my culinary acumen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Latin American beef is typically grass fed, which is a much healthier and more environmentally sound way to raise cattle than feeding them on corn.

Care to explain how corn fed and grass fed differ in terms of the environment? Because grass is renewable and technically corn is not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

well, i got used to them. what can i say? after about the 4th or 5th burger doused in ketchup, they started to taste o.k.

the place we stayed had dos equis, not corona....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:27 pm 

well, i got used to them. what can i say? after about the 4th or 5th burger doused in ketchup, they started to taste o.k.

the place we stayed had dos equis, not corona....

I actually drank quite a few modelo lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Care to explain how corn fed and grass fed differ in terms of the environment? Because grass is renewable and technically corn is not?

pretty much. corn requires processing....native grasses are native. they just grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Corn fed cows eat enormous quantities of corn and need protein supplements, antibiotics and other drugs, including growth hormones to fend off bacteria. Also to produce the corn takes more energy and produces more waste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Corn fed cows eat enormous quantities of corn and need protein supplements, antibiotics and other drugs, including growth hormones to fend off bacteria. Also to produce the corn takes more energy and produces more waste.

If you have ever been to a cow ranch, they produce alot of waste regardless and damnit, it smells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:42 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

If you have ever been to a cow ranch, they produce alot of waste regardless and damnit, it smells.

New York Times wrote:
We know a lot more about what 80 million acres of corn is doing to the health of our environment: serious and lasting damage. Modern corn hybrids are the greediest of plants, demanding more nitrogen fertilizer than any other crop. Corn requires more pesticide than any other food crop. Runoff from these chemicals finds its way into the groundwater and, in the Midwestern corn belt, into the Mississippi River, which carries it to the Gulf of Mexico, where it has already killed off marine life in a 12,000 square mile area.

To produce the chemicals we apply to our cornfields takes vast amounts of oil and natural gas. (Nitrogen fertilizer is made from natural gas, pesticides from oil.) America's corn crop might look like a sustainable, solar-powered system for producing food, but it is actually a huge, inefficient, polluting machine that guzzles fossil fuel - a half a gallon of it for every bushel.

Michael Pollan authored the above excerpt for the times. Anyone interested in the pernicious effects of corn on American health--including the obesity epidemic and the rise of diabetes--and the environment via the commodification of food and the industrialization of agriculture should check out Pollan's newest book, The Omnivore's Dilemma. It is an incredibly illuminating book, one of the best ever written on the food chain, the American diet, and the social and ecological effects of our agricultural system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 am 

I'm not worthy