It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Don Tiny wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Edited:
-have Parkins axed from m&p instead rotation of north, rozner Chet terry or other old score guys as 2nd guy with mac

I'd never axe Mac. I still think the rotation is brilliant.

It's your 'rotation' roster that's dumb ... still is.

I predict;
The 2nd guy rotation will happen
The score or more likely ESPN 1000 won't be sports in 5 years
Parkins, McKnight wont get contract renewals
Julie Dicaro will be a regular main host
Les won't know what side to butter his bread on

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Edited:
-have Parkins axed from m&p instead rotation of north, rozner Chet terry or other old score guys as 2nd guy with mac

I predict;

I predict you'll be dead of dementia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
vitoscotti wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Edited:

I predict;

Say it like you mean it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
vitoscotti wrote:
I predict;

nah... clearly they're using mac to try and "get parkins over" with the oldschool scorehead audience. just notice the sheer amount of reads/plugs parkins does to know that he's a company-guy/team-player and there's a reason they got him in afternoon drive with damaneel; they wanna try and toss a bone to the "millennial" audience by having one of them while not completely offending the sensibilities of the kind of people who took off of work yesterday to come into the studio and see the reunion. you know, the kind of people familiar with the "elmhurst steve" brand.

otherwise, replacing goff with damaneel probably would have been the biggest immediate impact radio move the score coulda made (especially if damaneel got bernstein to lighten up and have more fun with the radio format) however that would essentially "waste" the damaneel shine on someone who already "got over" years ago and then in 10yrs score 2028 would be "laurence holmes and literally who?"

you know, it'd be interesting to find out what the long term (10+ year) projections for sports talk radio as a format are cuz i figure the post-millennials (gen Z) aren't as beholden to "traditional formats" such as radio to get their sports news/information/opinion and are more likely to champion someone on twitter or youtube/streams with more of a grassroots vibe than they are turning on the local CBS/entercom/ESPN radio station because "that's just what you do" -- where are the kids born in the late 90s / early 00s who grew up with penn state radio and said "man, someday i wanna get in on this and take to the airwaves and champion human decency like my radio hero, dan bernstein?" the same way old listeners like goff did on the 90s/ish product?

but hey, maybe that's why they give everyone's twitter address when they start an interview. they're attempting to toss a bone to that coveted young/er demographic? otherwise, as it stands i can't see sports talk radio really being a "big deal" en masse to people under 30.... unless laurence is their professor at de paul, of course =P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 am 

Douchebag wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Edited:

I predict;

I predict you'll be dead of dementia.

Get my predictions tattood on your forehead. You'll be the talk of the trailer park.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
vitoscotti wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Edited:

I predict;

I do not think a rotation of washed up hosts would be a good idea, nor do I think Parkins is going anywhere unless he decides to leave. McKnight could be the new Hanley. You forget he's even there and the next thing you know he's been at the station for two decades.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Finally able to listen to the Podcasts. I can imagine this might have been a tough listen for those that haven't been listeners for a long time.

For me, the hour long segment of Murph imitations and stories was comedic gold. Just hysterical...."Hey.....that was 6 seconds will never get back"

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 am 

Mac used his car salesman line of bs saying Parkins is the future of the score.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
vitoscotti wrote:
Mac used his car salesman line of bs saying Parkins is the future of the score.

How did all you fucking new posters find this place all at once?

Twitter?

You're twitter level posters.

And that's coming from me.

The gif/movie guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 am 

Sorry cocksucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:55 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nonnos
Woop Woop its the CFMB board police!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
A bit late to ask this, I know, but I was catching up on the podcast over the weekend and was listening with interest to the transition with Lawrence Holmes, middle of the week. He mentioned that he was in Terry's book, although not named. The implication was that his identity was left out so he wouldn't get in trouble. Terry said that was true. It sounded like they were going to go ahead and reveal the story, but on the podcast there is a jump-cut, and that content is omitted. Anyone here listen live and remember what the story was?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I was catching up on last week's podcasts and couldn't help but be thoroughly entertained with the Wannstedt interview. Overall, their three days were great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 am 

fiveolddogs wrote:
A bit late to ask this, I know, but I was catching up on the podcast over the weekend and was listening with interest to the transition with Lawrence Holmes, middle of the week. He mentioned that he was in Terry's book, although not named. The implication was that his identity was left out so he wouldn't get in trouble. Terry said that was true. It sounded like they were going to go ahead and reveal the story, but on the podcast there is a jump-cut, and that content is omitted. Anyone here listen live and remember what the story was?

Thanks!

Laurence got into a fist fight with Pete Myers after a Bulls game and was nearly arrested, but Reinsdorf stepped in and told Myers to let it go. Word is it took 2-3 players to get Laurence to stop. I guess it all started with Myers calling him Larry. Terry tells it better than I do though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: No Place
wdelaney72 wrote:
Finally able to listen to the Podcasts. I can imagine this might have been a tough listen for those that haven't been listeners for a long time.

For me, the hour long segment of Murph imitations and stories was comedic gold. Just hysterical...."Hey.....that was 6 seconds will never get back"

You’re right. All that shit was lame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:44 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Last week, Mac correctly diagnosed that the Score has lost its way as a voice of the fan and as an open forum where regular callers are part of the content. Has the effort to restore this approach begun? Given that the station has strongly encouraged written interaction over aural interaction, arguably a foolhardy approach for an aural medium, how do you go about cultivating a new generation of Scoreheads?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Last week, Mac correctly diagnosed that the Score has lost its way as a voice of the fan and as an open forum where regular callers are part of the content. Has the effort to restore this approach begun? Given that the station has strongly encouraged written interaction over aural interaction, arguably a foolhardy approach for an aural medium, how do you go about cultivating a new generation of Scoreheads?

As a listener, is this what you want? I don't want to necessarily hear any callers. The best content IMO are the hosts discussing the sports news and segments with non-team employed reporters (Jonah Keri, Jeff Passan, ect.) Perhaps it is best for the station to create a community of fans centered around the Score and different shows but greater interaction with listeners is not the type of shows I want to listen to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
DAC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

As a listener, is this what you want? I don't want to necessarily hear any callers. The best content IMO are the hosts discussing the sports news and segments with non-team employed reporters (Jonah Keri, Jeff Passan, ect.) Perhaps it is best for the station to create a community of fans centered around the Score and different shows but greater interaction with listeners is not the type of shows I want to listen to.

That's ESPN Radio. Not really interesting.

The Score was built on the backs of listeners and it's regular callers. It's why the Score was so wildly successful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:26 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
DAC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's ESPN Radio. Not really interesting.

The Score was built on the backs of listeners and it's regular callers. It's why the Score was so wildly successful.

ESPN does it poorly by closely controlling the edginess of their hosts. Since they are broadcasting the leagues they are never going fully go after them if it warrants. That's why ESPN radio is not interesting. It's not because they don't take many calls. A show like Boers and Bernstein would have never been allowed on ESPN.

I completely understand that what I prefer in a sports talk show might not be the optimal way to build a show with a huge following and good ratings. Overall, most callers either add nothing to the conversation or have poor sports thoughts. I don't want my time wasted hearing Bob from Blue Island's Cubs trade thoughts. Obviously, hosts should read and comment on emails and texts that advance the conversation. While I know Bernstein hated it, the best part of WYC was the ecraps he read.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:22 am 

DAC wrote:
As a listener, is this what you want? I don't want to necessarily hear any callers.

And I don't want to hear "here's something I read on the internet." I'll read it myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:22 am 

DAC wrote:
As a listener, is this what you want? I don't want to necessarily hear any callers.

And I don't want to hear "here's something I read on the internet." I'll read it myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
DAC wrote:

Depends what it is. There's better content online if you look in the right places than your average caller.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:59 pm 

Give me conversations. If I want to be read to, Wisconsin Public Radio does Chapter a Day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Give me conversations. If I want to be read to, Wisconsin Public Radio does Chapter a Day.

Obviously, whatever they pull from online is just to spark conversation. I am not suggesting that Dan Bernstein should read a long form article about defending the pick and roll. But summarizing the article and applying it to the Bulls is much better content than hearing Rick from Skokie complain about GarPax.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Score depended on it's callers to provide content for years. They developed a relationship with their listeners through their calls, radio trivia contests and remotes that allowed listeners to interact with the on air talent. At some point, The Score seemed to change their approach and because of it, they lost what I believe was a crucial element in the stations success. If they now want to return to those roots, I applaud that decision, as I believe it to be a smart one. Young listeners seem to prefer texting and would sooner fire off a tweet as they are a part of a generation that goes on a dinner date and texts during the date. The art of conversation is lost on many today. To be able to articulate a position effectively and spontaneously is too much for many. I will certainly do my part, as I have long been a Mac supporter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10