It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goff to 1000?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

North gave an occasional political opinion, but it wasn't his calling card like Goff. North didn't drive away listeners in droves like Goff did. Goff is a big nothing, compared to North's legacy in Chicago sportsradio.

Umm, North reinvented himself as a political talker with Ann & Fred riding shotgun after his steak-and-a-BJ pairing with Doug failed.

His poorly considered entry into social commentary brought the station into deep crisis.

That show was awful. About as bad as Bernstein and Goff. Honestly don't remember it that well.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

North gave an occasional political opinion, but it wasn't his calling card like Goff. North didn't drive away listeners in droves like Goff did. Goff is a big nothing, compared to North's legacy in Chicago sportsradio.

Umm, North reinvented himself as a political talker with Ann & Fred riding shotgun after his steak-and-a-BJ pairing with Doug failed.

His poorly considered entry into social commentary brought the station into deep crisis.

That show was awful. About as bad as Bernstein and Goff. Honestly don't remember it that well.

That Mike North morning show was a disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Goff can't be worse than Tomasulo reading sports highlights every 12 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
"North pointed to being ranked eighth in the city in the morning among men 25-54"

From the White Sox scoreboard in 1984-
"Julio Cruz has hit .287 in 9 of his last 11 games"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
The Mike North Morning Show was worlds worse than Bernstein and Goff. Remember Fred Huebner doing fake EPK interviews with Alyssa Milano? or Jen Patterson trying to read the news? or the Bookie Priest? B&G was really just a gloomy show for gloomy times, it sucked because we knew they were capable of so much more. I don't think that crew was capable of much more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 am 

That Mike North Morning Show was as bad of radio as the Score has ever produced, and its content and creation are entirely on North. First, the show was a format change for the station. It was not a sports talk show and Mike never intended it to be. That half wit must have read a trade publication that showed the high salaries for all the conservative political talkers and decided that he would try to reinvent himself to make big money. I remember hearing that first day and loyal listeners were calling in asking him WTF he did to the station. At that point his ego was so huge and management was so appeasing that nothing could separate North from his great ideas.

Second, he staffed the show with an intern he was looking to nail, the wife of an executive who had taken care of him in the past and Fred, who was thankful to have a spot on a prime hour show. A full time show was a step up from what each of these people had ever done in the business. North envisioned the show as some balance between his crazy right wing thoughts and Maxfield's batshit liberalism. Nothing balances with Mike in the room. However, the more Maxfield revealed about herself, the less anyone wanted to listen. I think it topped off when she let it be known that she was still breastfeeding her kid at some uncomfortably advanced age.

Oof, the whole thing gives me the shivers just thinking about how it continued on the air for as long as it did. I loved Monsters and I give North a supreme amount of credit for shaping the station and sports radio in this city. However, he also deserves every bit of criticism he gets for destroying the golden age of the station simply because of his vanity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Terry's Peeps wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

i think it was purposeful

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
billypootons wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

i think it was purposeful

Just setting himself up for the Webio windfall!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Amen.

How anyone can't at least agree that Jason is FAR better than Tomasulo, is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Seacrest wrote:

Amen.

How anyone can't at least agree that Jason is FAR better than Tomasulo, is beyond me.

They both suck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 am 

I suspect that this is a short term tryout while Lauren Jiggetts is on maternity leave, that way they still have a person of color on the broadcast.

WGN has something like 6 weather people, so maybe they're going to start adding to their bench to plan for Dan Roan eventually retiring. Jason can become this generation's Howard Sudberry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Personally, I’m a huge Tomasulo fan. I get that he’s not for everyone, but even Chet Coppock and Seacrest can agree that Vegan Guy Fieri was epic.

https://youtu.be/_ka0-wvccRY

You can NEVER have enough cashew cheese! And you can only get this type of flavor from deez nuts!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am 

whiskey dick wrote:
Personally, I’m a huge Tomasulo fan. I get that he’s not for everyone, but even Chet Coppock and Seacrest can agree that Vegan Guy Fieri was epic.

https://youtu.be/_ka0-wvccRY

You can NEVER have enough cashew cheese! And you can only get this type of flavor from deez nuts!

Meh.

But i don't want the real Guy Fieri reading highlights of Clippers-Nuggets on my TV at 6:10am, either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
But i don't want the real Guy Fieri reading highlights of Clippers-Nuggets on my TV at 6:10am, either.

That sounds like it would be awesome, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
However, the more Maxfield revealed about herself, the less anyone wanted to listen. I think it topped off when she let it be known that she was still breastfeeding her kid at some uncomfortably advanced age.

I seem to remember it being eight. I wonder what I sacrificed from my memory to retain this.

I think it was right before I started listening regularly that Mitch intervened with the show to install Drinky as a co-host, relegating Anne to reading the news only, but somehow North and Fred overruled their boss and got Drinky sent back to afternoons for being a "bad fit." I know morning shows can be semi-autonomous, but North must have had one hell of a contract to reject a lifeboat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm 

The Mike North Morning show was a disaster. Bernstein and Goff was just as political and phony though. Goff said the NHL was failing because it "did not look like America". It's the same race baiting bullshit that North peddled in, but from the MSNBC side. Goff was Mr. Highbrow look down on the callers when Bernstein was around. When LoHo filled in he went up and down the ESPN 1000 line-up, and told us who he could "throw hands" with.

North and Goff are roughly at the same intelligence level. North at least embraced his inner meatball for his first few years.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm 

There is no way they were equally political shows. MNMS billed itself as a political show. B and G dabbled in politics.

Jason is much more intelligent than Mike, but intelligence has nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Good to hear about Goff!

North was great when he had a partner to reign him in a little like Jiggs.

North's sports thoughts are still great and unique. The rest of the stuff is old.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:08 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
There is no way they were equally political shows. MNMS billed itself as a political show. B and G dabbled in politics.

Jason is much more intelligent than Mike, but intelligence has nothing to do with it.

North had a nestegg to fall back on, with multiple years of big salaries. He was tiring of Chicago sportsradio and experimented with his format. Chicago sportsradio got tred of Goff's hateful venom spewing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:13 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:

Goff and North are way too dumb to dabble in politics or social issues.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:

If you think they only dabbled in politics you weren’t listening. And Goff isn’t smarter than North. He just acted like he went to Duke instead of failing out of Southern Illinois.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Don Tiny wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Franky T wrote:
He's doing sports on WGN morning news today.

Yep ... just saw him now.

Good for him.

THIS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
It's an interesting phenomenon that people like sports journalists and comedians often aren't satisfied with their role in society after they achieve a certain level of success. On the sports side you see it with Bernstein, Goff, North, Parkins, and Keith Olberman. On the comedy side you see it with Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, and probably several others that aren't springing to mind right now. To some extent, I understand why they feel that way, they fell that they're intelligent and successful and society is not taking them seriously. On the other hand, no one is tuning in to hear political commentary from Bernstein or Goff, or to hear Parkins' plans to end gun violence. Also, while I know many of you will probably disagree, Murray's and Ferrell's attempts at serious/semi-serious roles, almost always suck.

Everybody gets type-cast in their careers to some extent. The Bernsteins, Goffs, and Norths of the world are just going to have to accept that fact and deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Talking about something like Penn State or NFL anthem thing is one thing for a brief period of time, but Goff wanted to talk it non stop. Everything isn't a race issue. Just talk Sports, if people want to hear the other stuff they will turn on CNN, etc. His other issue was he just doesn't know sports either lol. You can't talk basketball non stop and dismiss hockey, baseball, etc just because you don't understand them. Again talking NBA is fine now and again, but really besides Chicago the rest of Illinois could care less about what the bulls or the minnesota timberwolves did last night

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Previous posts courtesy of Mults R Us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Scooter wrote:

Who gives a fuck? Searching out, identifying, and announcing mults is boring and useless. I'd rather hear a thought from a mult than some worthless gossip from a mult hunter bitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Anyplace we can sit together as a team
Nardi wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Who gives a fuck? Searching out, identifying, and announcing mults is boring and useless. I'd rather hear a thought from a mult than some worthless gossip from a mult hunter bitch

Word.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

I would say Mike and Jason are pretty close in that intelligence battle. Like was said, Goff carries himself like he's smart. But a lot of stupid came out of his mouth over the years. The beauty of proud stupid people is they don't realize they're stupid. Both Mike and Jason fall into that category. Proud and stupid. And both those attributes got them both fired from the SCORE.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Beardown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I would say Mike and Jason are pretty close in that intelligence battle. Like was said, Goff carries himself like he's smart. But a lot of stupid came out of his mouth over the years. The beauty of proud stupid people is they don't realize they're stupid. Both Mike and Jason fall into that category. Proud and stupid. And both those attributes got them both fired from the SCORE.

I think you are misremembering. Mike left to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a professional handicapper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Beardown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think you are misremembering. Mike left to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a professional handicapper.

Oh yeah. Forgot. And I know North wasn't "technically" fired. But they made him a salary offer half of what he was making knowing he wouldn't take it. So that was their way of firing him without actually doing it. And North was still stupid cuz it was 800k a year. Nobody in sports radio makes close to that now a days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next