It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barstool Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Congrats to these guys. They spent the last several years blogging and doing their podcast as a side gig. Their work has reached the point where they could quit their jobs and become a full time Barstool outlet for Chicago.

Post subject: Re: Barstool Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 am 

If you haven't subscribed to Red Line Radio, I suggest you start listening to it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I can't say I really paid attention, I thought BarstoolBigCat was in charge of the Chicago chapter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you haven't subscribed to Red Line Radio, I suggest you start listening to it as well.

Yep very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Their red line radio signal dies at 35th Street right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Congrats to these guys. They spent the last several years blogging and doing their podcast as a side gig. Their work has reached the point where they could quit their jobs and become a full time Barstool outlet for Chicago.

You mean they actually did the work building a brand and slogged their way into success? I thought you just sit and whine on twitter all day about your lack of opportunities and demand a seat at the table based on your gender or race . Interesting .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You mean they actually did the work building a brand and slogged their way into success? I thought you just sit and whine on twitter all day about your lack of opportunities and demand a seat at the table based on your gender or race . Interesting .

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am 

Cashman wrote:
I can't say I really paid attention, I thought BarstoolBigCat was in charge of the Chicago chapter.

He has been in NY for almost 3 years now so he hasn't been able to take on a local focus with his work. He has said on multiple occasions that his ultimate plan would be to return to Chicago permanently so this may be a piece of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:33 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I know, right? What a weird concept of having a goal and then working your ass off towards it. Such a foreign concept for some.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
badrogue17 wrote:

Nice

On a side note, I have the impression that Barstool is millennial, trashy, shock-style media. Is that right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 am 

DAC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Nice

On a side note, I have the impression that Barstool is millennial, trashy, shock-style media. Is that right?

Maybe that's what they were 5 years ago. Today, I'd say they are probably what sports radio/media was before it got sanitized by the Dan Bernstein's of the world.

It's the closest thing you will get to The Score of the 1990s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
DAC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Nice

Maybe that's what they were 5 years ago. Today, I'd say they are probably what sports radio/media was before it got sanitized by the Dan Bernstein's of the world.

It's the closest thing you will get to The Score of the 1990s

I may have to take a look into it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am 

DAC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Nice

Yes. Go look at their front page.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
there are a few slots at 670 they'd do well in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
DAC wrote:

Pretty much, but they're remarkably self-aware about it. Portnoy would be writing "The Pizza Idiot Tries Pizza Like An Idiot For Some Idiot Blog" for Deadspin in an alternate universe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Follow all these guys on Twitter. Don't follow any score people. They're fun and make sports fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 pm 

McDude wrote:
Follow all these guys on Twitter. Don't follow any score people. They're fun and make sports fun.

But they harm women or something !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm 

McDude wrote:

The true voice of the fan.

Take a look at Barstool Carl's rant as he exited Soldier Field. That used to be what you could get on 670 (minus the vulgarity).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:49 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McDude wrote:

Take a look at Barstool Carl's rant as he exited Soldier Field. That used to be what you could get on 670 (minus the vulgarity).

I thought that was kinda lame actually. Came off as phony and just wanting to make a viral video after a big game.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
FavreFan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McDude wrote:

I thought that was kinda lame actually. Came off as phony and just wanting to make a viral video after a big game.

Yeah, it seemed like a self-conscious performance of "authenticity"--and an unimaginative one at that. Far below the level of the Score during its "star caller" halcyon days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:08 pm 

you cant go full meatball everyday though... havent given these guys a listen. i do find portnoy's big cats and pft twitter to generlly be a hilarious follow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Carl has done that a few times this year. it's mostly unwatchable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:13 pm 

barstool gold... another wbesite to pay for content.... like DLC for video games. no thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McDude wrote:

So it's basically Mike North for Millenials?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McDude wrote:

I’m sure they’ll throw in some PECOTA rankings once in while, don’t worry .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
McDude wrote:

I’m sure they’ll throw in some PECOTA rankings once in while, don’t worry .
I, for one, won't consume any media that doesn't spend multiple segments discussing the NBA GM Survey, where every answer is "LeBron".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Honestly how much longer are the score and ESPN going to be on the radio? 5, if they're lucky 10 years? Podcast and Barstool going to keep getting more popular. Eventually teams are going to stream their own content and not need the radio. And the whole dumping of swear words on the radio is so fucking stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:04 pm 

McDude wrote:
And the whole dumping of swear words on the radio is so fucking stupid

JLN wrote:
REPORT THIS POST! REPORT THIS POST!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
McDude wrote:
Honestly how much longer are the score and ESPN going to be on the radio? 5, if they're lucky 10 years? Podcast and Barstool going to keep getting more popular. Eventually teams are going to stream their own content and not need the radio. And the whole dumping of swear words on the radio is so fucking stupid

The answer is for however as long as today's population of Age 55+ individuals can be relied upon as a driving demographic. I'm 24 and virtually all of my friends who consumer sports audio content do so exclusively from podcasts like Pardon my Take, Barstool Radio, Cowherd (surprisingly to me) and Bill Simmons and crew. While I still consume the Score and 1000, I now only do so through podcasts so I can skip ads and guests/topics that I don't care about. To me and I think people similar to me, the idea of settling for a show/topic that isn't exactly what I'm looking for, and putting up with commercials, is something that one would only do if they don't know any better (which isn't a sustainable business model).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
chimrichalds wrote:
McDude wrote:

The answer is for however as long as today's population of Age 55+ individuals can be relied upon as a driving demographic. I'm 24 and virtually all of my friends who consumer sports audio content do so exclusively from podcasts like Pardon my Take, Barstool Radio, Cowherd (surprisingly to me) and Bill Simmons and crew. While I still consume the Score and 1000, I now only do so through podcasts so I can skip ads and guests/topics that I don't care about. To me and I think people similar to me, the idea of settling for a show/topic that isn't exactly what I'm looking for, and putting up with commercials, is something that one would only do if they don't know any better (which isn't a sustainable business model).

i'm sorry your taste in podcasts is trashy