It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
A place like ND doesn't really have a comparable.

It certainly does though it is dependent mostly on your major on where it is.

not really if you consider location important. If your principal desire is to go to school in, say, Chicago you will be able to meet your wishes. Even if De Paul isn't Northwestern, the big attraction is the location so there is some comparability. If your goal is ND, you are only going for ND or Mayor Pete.

Sure, academically and community wise ND is comparable to BC or schools of that nature. Half of Marquette seems to be ND rejections.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
K Effective wrote:
K Effective wrote:
Dishwasher suffered a split hose between the main pump and the wash manifold- it's a short, molded hose that reduces from one inch to three quarters, nothing off-the-shelf. Haven't been able to find just the hose available online tonight, will have to check Factory Service Parts tomorrow. Fortunately, it was noticed quite quickly, some water made it downstairs into the furnace room, no visible damage to the kitchen hardwood floors. Man, dishwashers are nasty things.

Project Update: Even Whirlpool Parts does not offer the single hose, a kit of two was found online for $96.40 plus $12 tax/shipping, should be a couple of days. I suppose not a bad idea to replace both hoses while I'm in there.

Wow.. I'd probably look on let go for same dishwasher.. low ball the shit out of them and buy it for the part.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:59 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

not really if you consider location important. If your principal desire is to go to school in, say, Chicago you will be able to meet your wishes. Even if De Paul isn't Northwestern, the big attraction is the location so there is some comparability. If your goal is ND, you are only going for ND or Mayor Pete.

Sure, academically and community wise ND is comparable to BC or schools of that nature. Half of Marquette seems to be ND rejections.

Location? Location is one of the worst things about Notre Dame. South Bend is bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Location? Location is one of the worst things about Notre Dame. South Bend is bad.

Indiana is bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Indiana is bad.

If you're on a cool campus, it doesn't really matter where the school is. But affordability trumps location anyway, doesn't it? My daughter got accepted into a school in a really hip neighborhood in another city, but I'm a little light on funds, and I am relieved that she did not have her heart set on it. (Fortunately, she was accepted to her first choice, a local school, and is going to live at home, which makes it less financially crazy.)

That's a bummer about ND, Jawbreaker. I am sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Indiana is bad.

Pretty much. South Bend isn't even good for Indiana.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Thought about posting this in the Student Loan thread, but my oldest child just found out he didn't get into Notre Dame. This despite being in the top 1% in every academic metric. Took every available AP class/test. National Merit Scholar semi-finalist (the highest you can get, as they haven't announce the finalists yet). Tons of extracurriculars, played varsity sports as an underclassman. My wife is an ND alum/legacy. Did the early admissions application.

I'm taking it harder than he is, though I know he has plenty of company. His childhood friend, a girl he's known since they were 6, has literally PERFECT everything...and she just found out she didn't get into Stanford.

My Brother-in-Law is an alum. He's not insufferable about it (or maybe he is -I don't spend that much time around him) but he grew up in a rough area of Detroit proper, and he's a later-in-life converted Catholic, I know it's really important to him. He and my sister have 4 sons, I know he will be more crestfallen than they will if none of them a.) want to go there or b.) get in.

You have to set your expectations appropriately early in the process. The difference between acceptance and denial at all of these schools is razor thin these days.

Yep, though the thing that irks me the most is my kid wasn't even waitlisted... in their eyes, he wasn't even projected to be a "maybe." When you break down the number of available spots, I guess I should have expected it. Let's say they have 2,000 openings. I'm guessing a couple hundred of those are set aside for athletes. Then you divide in half for male/female. Then you take a certain number of disadvantaged/minority/foreign/etc kids. Then look at the requested major (business, humanities, engineering, etc). And then, unfortunately, there is probably the donation factor. My son was probably vying for one of only a couple hundred spots, or less, for his demographic.

It's such a different world now. Northwestern has always been a good school, but as recently as 2008 the acceptance rate was over 25%. Now it's under 10%. Twenty kids from my son's school applied last year (many with 35 and 36 ACT scores) and none got in. When I was in high school, a 28 could get you in.

There are more kids applying than ever before and each one of those kids is applying to more schools than ever before. That results in these insane acceptance rates. It makes the kids mental as it is rejection. The truth of it is that a good chunk of the kids rejected are every bit as viable of a student than the one's accepted.

My boy got deferred at Georgetown this weekend. I was pretty impressed he made it to a second review given the rates of acceptance. The good thing about wanting to go to school in DC though is that there are several other schools offering good programs in politics and unlimited internships. You can make a case that any school in DC is fungible if the student is diligent about pursuing the internships. I'll be perfectly happy if he goes to American or GW. Georgetown does open doors though. A place like ND doesn't really have a comparable.

On the good side he is currently at 5-0-1 with Dr. Ken's letter of recommendation pushing him over the top at ILL.

I know I mentioned this in another thread re: college admissions. The son of one of my closest friends attended the most elite prep school in the country. He got a perfect SAT. He had a good internship and was a 7 time varsity letterman. His grade point average was okay but he went through a tough time his sophomore year and that really knocked it down, his last two years were strong though. His counselor told him he should not even bother applying to the Ivies. He got waitlisted at Northeastern. I guess that's just how tough it is to get into these schools nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Just some unsolicited advice for those that worry about such things. Getting into the highly respected state schools is easier a year out of HS. Killing yourself if you are on the edges of acceptance is not worth all of the trouble. Going to the directional for a year or even two gains you an edge in later and you get the good degree in the end.

Of course, you don't have that if you goal is the really high privates and especially Ivies. Some though do now have their own version of directional campuses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Thought about posting this in the Student Loan thread, but my oldest child just found out he didn't get into Notre Dame. This despite being in the top 1% in every academic metric. Took every available AP class/test. National Merit Scholar semi-finalist (the highest you can get, as they haven't announce the finalists yet). Tons of extracurriculars, played varsity sports as an underclassman. My wife is an ND alum/legacy. Did the early admissions application.

I'm taking it harder than he is, though I know he has plenty of company. His childhood friend, a girl he's known since they were 6, has literally PERFECT everything...and she just found out she didn't get into Stanford.

My Brother-in-Law is an alum. He's not insufferable about it (or maybe he is -I don't spend that much time around him) but he grew up in a rough area of Detroit proper, and he's a later-in-life converted Catholic, I know it's really important to him. He and my sister have 4 sons, I know he will be more crestfallen than they will if none of them a.) want to go there or b.) get in.

You have to set your expectations appropriately early in the process. The difference between acceptance and denial at all of these schools is razor thin these days.

Yep, though the thing that irks me the most is my kid wasn't even waitlisted... in their eyes, he wasn't even projected to be a "maybe." When you break down the number of available spots, I guess I should have expected it. Let's say they have 2,000 openings. I'm guessing a couple hundred of those are set aside for athletes. Then you divide in half for male/female. Then you take a certain number of disadvantaged/minority/foreign/etc kids. Then look at the requested major (business, humanities, engineering, etc). And then, unfortunately, there is probably the donation factor. My son was probably vying for one of only a couple hundred spots, or less, for his demographic.

It's such a different world now. Northwestern has always been a good school, but as recently as 2008 the acceptance rate was over 25%. Now it's under 10%. Twenty kids from my son's school applied last year (many with 35 and 36 ACT scores) and none got in. When I was in high school, a 28 could get you in.

There are more kids applying than ever before and each one of those kids is applying to more schools than ever before. That results in these insane acceptance rates. It makes the kids mental as it is rejection. The truth of it is that a good chunk of the kids rejected are every bit as viable of a student than the one's accepted.

My boy got deferred at Georgetown this weekend. I was pretty impressed he made it to a second review given the rates of acceptance. The good thing about wanting to go to school in DC though is that there are several other schools offering good programs in politics and unlimited internships. You can make a case that any school in DC is fungible if the student is diligent about pursuing the internships. I'll be perfectly happy if he goes to American or GW. Georgetown does open doors though. A place like ND doesn't really have a comparable.

On the good side he is currently at 5-0-1 with Dr. Ken's letter of recommendation pushing him over the top at ILL.

I know I mentioned this in another thread re: college admissions. The son of one of my closest friends attended the most elite prep school in the country. He got a perfect SAT. He had a good internship and was a 7 time varsity letterman. His grade point average was okay but he went through a tough time his sophomore year and that really knocked it down, his last two years were strong though. His counselor told him he should not even bother applying to the Ivies. He got waitlisted at Northeastern. I guess that's just how tough it is to get into these schools nowadays.

That's it. You have to be perfect from day one and also find some bullshit activity that makes sounds greater than it actually is and is probably performed by the parents. It's really a ridiculous system we have created.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's it. You have to be perfect from day one and also find some bullshit activity that makes sounds greater than it actually is and is probably performed by the parents. It's really a ridiculous system we have created.

Then you wonder why the privileged people in Hollywood do what they did in the USC thing. Of course, it is not right but people will do anything mostly for their kids to get a leg up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Maybe this is why kids are exhausted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 am 

Pffft. No Tiger Moms on this board.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I should add this because it's funny. When the kid's counselor told him he wasn't going to get accepted at the Ivies he responded, "Not even Brown?" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Being born in a baby bust era like I was made college admissions a wee bit less competitive which was a good thing for young Squirrel. Might of tested well, had decent activities and gotten good recommendations but my gpa was nothing special.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I should add this because it's funny. When the kid's counselor told him he wasn't going to get accepted at the Ivies he responded, "Not even Brown?" :lol: :lol:

I taught at a pretty high-powered high school for a while and what I learned is that there is sometimes no discernible reason to applicants why they did not get accepted. I had the chance to talk with admission counselors at Harvard Columbia, and Notre Dame and I was surprised that some decisions came down to things like book lists ("List the ten books you think every teen should read") and what kind of job the students had. (Class, race, and gender were factors, but that's different.) In one case, the better student--the son of a prominent local politician, and one of the best kids I have ever known--got zapped because of his book list, while his best friend got in because "he worked blue-collar jobs as a high school student." (He did, albeit briefly; his parents were close to being upper-middle-class.) As far as ND goes, girls seemed to have an easier time getting in than boys.

I guess most students, unless they are gonna be miserable the rest of their lives, realize that they are fine where they are. Still, some of these schools pop on a resume.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:56 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Being born in a baby bust era like I was made college admissions a wee bit less competitive which was a good thing for young Squirrel. Might of tested well, had decent activities and gotten good recommendations but my gpa was nothing special.

No doubt. What got me into U of I in '88 would not get me in there today....same with NU.

I'm sure I could always get into Purdue or Indiana, though. God bless those safety schools!

#RFDC
#RFDJulie
#BRick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 am 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I taught at a pretty high-powered high school for a while and what I learned is that there is sometimes no discernible reason to applicants why they did not get accepted. I had the chance to talk with admission counselors at Harvard Columbia, and Notre Dame and I was surprised that some decisions came down to things like book lists ("List the ten books you think every teen should read") and what kind of job the students had. (Class, race, and gender were factors, but that's different.) In one case, the better student--the son of a prominent local politician, and one of the best kids I have ever known--got zapped because of his book list, while his best friend got in because "he worked blue-collar jobs as a high school student." (He did, albeit briefly; his parents were close to being upper-middle-class.) As far as ND goes, girls seemed to have an easier time getting in than boys.

I guess most students, unless they are gonna be miserable the rest of their lives, realize that they are fine where they are. Still, some of these schools pop on a resume.

Yeah, this kid ended up going to a small liberal arts school and he's doing great. Things probably worked out better for him than if he had gone to Harvard. The kid is pretty funny though. When he visited his school for orientation the basketball coach asked him where he went to high school and when he answered the coach said, "Whoa, most of those guys go to Yale or Harvard." My guy said, "Tell me about it!" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Doing some running around on Sunday, and after my last store my car wouldn't start. Had lights, heat, horn, everything, but no cranking. Bummer. At least I didn't have my kid with me and was close to home. Took an Uber home, towed the car to the shop yesterday to have them diagnose a bad key. Yep. The chip in my key failed and of course I have no spare key for the car. So I have to take it to the dealer to get re-keyed and re-programmed.

It looked like this would take at least a week as dealers were all booked up which would have been a total pain trying to borrow a car or catch Ubers while carting a 15 month old around. Fortunately in a stroke of luck, I called Joe Rizza again today and they had a cancellation and can get this done on Thursday.

TL;DR
DON'T BE STUPID LIKE FRANK. GET A SPARE KEY FOR YOUR CAR.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Doing some running around on Sunday, and after my last store my car wouldn't start. Had lights, heat, horn, everything, but no cranking. Bummer. At least I didn't have my kid with me and was close to home. Took an Uber home, towed the car to the shop yesterday to have them diagnose a bad key. Yep. The chip in my key failed and of course I have no spare key for the car. So I have to take it to the dealer to get re-keyed and re-programmed.

It looked like this would take at least a week as dealers were all booked up which would have been a total pain trying to borrow a car or catch Ubers while carting a 15 month old around. Fortunately in a stroke of luck, I called Joe Rizza again today and they had a cancellation and can get this done on Thursday.

TL;DR

Those keys are absurdly expensive, aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

No doubt. What got me into U of I in '88 would not get me in there today....same with NU.

I'm sure I could always get into Purdue or Indiana, though. God bless those safety schools!

#RFDC
#RFDJulie
#BRick

U if I was as simple as an ACT and gpa combo too. You didn’t need directional U as a fallback if you hit those numbers. I bombed out on my stretch schools, no ivy for squirrel (not even Brown) but that was to be expected. Actually was 0-2-3 out of state with one if those three accepting me the day after I got the wait list. God has cursed me with staying in Illinois apparently as that was 3-0.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 am 

Friend of my that is overly techie bought a key fob programmer over the internet. You can find these fob things cheaper from guys like that or if you like start your own hobby/business.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

TL;DR

Those keys are absurdly expensive, aren't they?

I'm not sure about Fords, but we've had to get new keys for our two Chevy's a couple of times because those cheap fucking plastic fobs like to break, and they've been about 50 bucks a shot. Luckily, the dealership by my house usually has them in the parts department, and it takes them all of 10 minutes to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Depending on the key, I'm told it will be $120-$300 for a new key and the computer diagnostic to reprogram.

I'll ask them to use lube at least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

U if I was as simple as an ACT and gpa combo too.

I recall that. The application was like a tri-fold pamphlet. It had chart on the back to tell you if you were accepted or not. Please fill in your name address and include $200 deposit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
My key guy, if you're ever in a pickle:
http://www.bullislock.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:17 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

U if I was as simple as an ACT and gpa combo too.

I recall that. The application was like a tri-fold pamphlet. It had chart on the back to tell you if you were accepted or not. Please fill in your name address and include $200 deposit.

Yep.. A few years latter people were telling me how hard it was to get in and I was like “wtf you talking about?”.. apparently it’s not 1992 anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Depending on the key, I'm told it will be $120-$300 for a new key and the computer diagnostic to reprogram.

You really are the big shooter. Expensive keys and not stringing your own guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:18 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

#RFDC
#RFDJulie
#BRick
I don't know how much it has changed but at UofI there were majors that were virtually impossible to get into without a perfect academic record since you were 3 years old and others that were easy to get into. I think they closed the loophole but I think a lot of people that were desperate to go there went into Agriculture and then tried to switch majors.

The weirdest part of my college choice was that NIU told me I had to wait a year to apply to get into my major but Purdue was happy to let me start right from day one. I don't know if that was standard for everyone but it was a pretty easy decision to not take the chance that after a year of being at a school I was denied doing the major I wanted to do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:19 am 
100000 CLUB

My issue is that the car's computer needs to be reprogrammed as well, and only Ford can do that. If it was just a key I would have had this fixed yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

You really are the big shooter. Expensive keys and not stringing your own guitar.
Hey when you make $52 per show, it's very easy to buy extra keys and strings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 190  Next