PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Per Feder.

What's old is new again.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/20/ ... ning-host/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I've never understood the fascination with Bob Sirott. What's his appeal?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Tall Midget wrote:

Old people like him?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tall Midget wrote:

He's the Chicago radio version of the Member Berry from South Park.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
Cochran has been stealing money for years. What a bore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bob and Marianne on wls was pretty good radio. They'd talk about various topics and have quite interesting guests. Both are very likeable, Cochran is very unlikeable. Sirott is very pro Chicago. They don't go heavy on political views unlike Cochran. Sirott is getting up there age wise. I've read the Sirott's house was up for foreclosure recently.

Cochran used a anti Trump theme constantly. His chats with Dick Durbin were classic. Cochran getting the axe is quite gratifying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:09 pm 

Cochran repeatedly showing up late to his own show (and this was before they moved him up an hour) probably had more to do with his departure than being mean to Daddy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
Cochran repeatedly showing up late to his own show (and this was before they moved him up an hour) probably had more to do with his departure than being mean to Daddy.

I'm almost afraid to ask. Who is Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It’s weird that Bob Sirott was on radio when I was born and likely will when I die.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
pittmike wrote:
It’s weird that Bob Sirott was on radio when I was born and likely will when I die.

:lol:

He's like Zelig or something. I think he was a boom mic operator at the Hindeburg disaster.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm almost afraid to ask. Who is Daddy?

the guy's name is curious hair FFS; it's obviously David Foster Wallace!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Curious Hair wrote:

I don’t think the question is why did they get rid of Cochran as much as it is why replace him with Sirott? Think of it this way: His peak radio popularity was before Dahl’s.

Last edited by Zippy-The-Pinhead on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:45 pm 

I haven't listened to a WGN morning show in approximately twelve years, but if it's structured the same way now as it was then, then you don't want/need a big personality in the chair so much as a "game manager" who will throw to all the news, weather, traffic, business, sports, agriculture reports. Bob Sirott, being a name people recognize but not necessarily an outsize personality at this stage of the game, is probably a good fit for that. Greg Jarrett was boring and no one knew who he was, Brandmeier was a legend but was never allowed to do Brandmeier things.

But more than any of that, it was probably just that the boss doesn't like Cochran personally but does like Sirott. No one expects him to be a resounding success who will restore glory to WGN, it's just a matter of how they choose to manage the decline.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
I haven't listened to a WGN morning show in approximately twelve years, but if it's structured the same way now as it was then, then you don't want/need a big personality in the chair so much as a "game manager" who will throw to all the news, weather, traffic, business, sports, agriculture reports. Bob Sirott, being a name people recognize but not necessarily an outsize personality at this stage of the game, is probably a good fit for that. Greg Jarrett was boring and no one knew who he was, Brandmeier was a legend but was never allowed to do Brandmeier things.

But more than any of that, it was probably just that the boss doesn't like Cochran personally but does like Sirott. No one expects him to be a resounding success who will restore glory to WGN, it's just a matter of how they choose to manage the decline.

I disagree with your "game manager" characterization. WBBM has more of the "managed game" morning radio show. I listen more to WGN on the morning drive than any other station, and I thought Cochran was a perfect fit for their show. He had a recognizable personality, was flexible enough to talk about everything, and was able to express a political opinion without beating the listeners over the head with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:33 pm 

from Feder:

Quote:
As WGN’s seventh morning host since Phillips stepped down 34 years ago, Sirott brings a lifetime of goodwill and unmatched equity to “Chicago’s Very Own.”

He's also the fifth since Spike O'Dell retired 11ish years ago. I didn't realize it had become that much of a revolving door until I saw it in print. Brandmeier did mornings! Remember that? And Greg Jarrett! Which twentysomething market did he wind up in?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
from Feder:

Quote:
As WGN’s seventh morning host since Phillips stepped down 34 years ago, Sirott brings a lifetime of goodwill and unmatched equity to “Chicago’s Very Own.”

He's also the fifth since Spike O'Dell retired 11ish years ago. I didn't realize it had become that much of a revolving door until I saw it in print. Brandmeier did mornings! Remember that? And Greg Jarrett! Which twentysomething market did he wind up in?

I think Jarrett went back to San Francisco where he came from. Fucker couldn't accent the right syllable for Devon Avenue even a few months into his time here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Interesting blurb from that Feder article - Sirott was offered the Cubs radio PBP in the 90s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
from Feder:

Quote:

Robert Feder also wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Crain's article on future of WGN, speculating on a sale this year.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/marketi ... -wgn-radio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
"Nine to 10 months from now . . . don't be surprised if WGN Radio gets sold for $18 million. They are trying to maximize the value of this," says Adam Jacobson, editor-in-chief of trade publication Radio & Television Business Report.

WGN Radio is worth one season for a #3 starting pitcher. Sad state of affairs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:07 pm 

I'd say the Rickettses should buy it and reunite 720 and the Cubs, but they can't afford a #3 starter, either.

Quote:
However, market experts say that sustaining ratings boosts is hard in the radio business without exclusive programming, particularly in sports. Once home to the Chicago Cubs, now only the Chicago White Sox can be heard on the AM station, but Compton believes experiments like the Sinatra hour will pay off.

Oh, definitely, people are dying to listen to one guy's songs from the 1950s on the radio band that sucks for music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Reared on the Score wrote:
Crain's article on future of WGN, speculating on a sale this year.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/marketi ... -wgn-radio

heh WGN threw a hissy fit over this https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/01/14/ ... -business/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:11 pm 

Interesting note on the looks-like-1996 message board (as compared with our looks-like-2006 message board):

Quote:
Changes to the newscast format on the weekends:

News is once an hour and only live from 6am-7pm.

The newscast starting at 8pm through the overnight hours is pre-recorded.

The weekday newscasts are live from 5am through 10pm (once an hour starting at 7pm),then on tape from 11pm through the overnight hours.

Not happy about this,but at least the hosts are live (except the early Sunday AM rebroadcast of Dave Plier's Friday 11pm-1am show).

A news talk station doing taped newscasts is pretty low-rent. You may as well not do them at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm 

It's probably not going to be Robert Feder's comment of the day, but someone remarking on 720's Sinatra show with "I'd rather listen to Steve Dale talk about cats, at least the cats are alive" made me laugh out loud.