It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Frank Coztansa wrote:
But lets keep vape shops open! I guarantee if there was an excise tax on golf like there is a liquor and cigarettes, courses would be staying open.

Don't give JB any ideas.

FWIW I saw two doctors (one retired) out there so they must think it's safe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I am calling Bittersweet in Gurnee this morning and planning on getting out. I don’t like that course much and $35 seems excessive but I have to get out. I’ll report back as to how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 am 

Never mind I see the spineless slug that looks like Jabba The Hut closed all courses in IL after one day. What an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:03 am 

Got the email from my club that we can still play, with the social distancing restrictions in place. The board is taking the position that as members, we are each part owners of the course. We'll see if the cops show up, but that is a good angle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am 

Franky T wrote:
Got the email from my club that we can still play, with the social distancing restrictions in place. The board is taking the position that as members, we are each part owners of the course. We'll see if the cops show up, but that is a good angle.

Nice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Seriously. I get that this disease is brutal. So have it walking twosomes only, tee times at 20 minute increments, no touching of the flagstick, and remove the ball washers. It doesn't seem that hard to do. Certainly I would come in contact with way fewer people on the golf course than I would have the 606 trail yesterday.

This also would pump some sorely needed funds into the local economy, as well as save a few jobs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

Hopefully common sense will prevail and courses will be open for walking only soon.

Other states have deemed golf as an essential business so there is precedent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I don't see it happening. I don't know if it's not trusting people to keep social distance on the course, the perception of golf as an upper-class/white activity or "why can they do their activity and I can't do mine?" mentality, but I think we are in this for the long run.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 am 

My prediction is we won’t see it until May at the earliest. One of the courses I play has a 100 yard range where you shag your own so I may go up there tomorrow or Friday as I have a few dozen bright yellow balls I can easily find. Much talk about this thing peaking in two to three more weeks so no way they are going to change their minds now, may even go till June

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am 
100000 CLUB

Indiana courses, for now, are open. I'll probably drive over there while I can if the weather cooperates. Even if its a dogtrack course, I won't care.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:29 am 

I plan on becoming one with my shag bag.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:34 am 
100000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:
"why can they do their activity and I can't do mine?" mentality
This is definitely it. Why a husband and wife can't walk/bike themselves on the Lakefront path or play a round of golf together makes zero sense, other than to justify it the way you listed FS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 am 

Yeah. Friday temps in the 60s will bring out the fools. Golf courses aren't going to open after that.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:49 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
This is definitely it. Why a husband and wife can't walk/bike themselves on the Lakefront path or play a round of golf together makes zero sense, other than to justify it the way you listed FS.

They had an editorial in the paper up here this week asking why courses can’t be open and I put in my two cents. People were calling it a rich person sport, saying the clubhouse would still be open serving beer, and just to stay home. Ugh.... people don’t take the time to understand the changes that would be in place. People.... they’re the worst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 am 
100000 CLUB

:lol: Thing is, if golfers were able to get out, 99% of them would be the last ones to congregate in a group. They would self police with social distancing the same way they do with the rules of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Furious Styles wrote:

Wonder if they'll chase you off the practice areas if you have your own shag bag of balls.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Thing is, if golfers were able to get out, 99% of them would be the last ones to congregate in a group. They would self police with social distancing the same way they do with the rules of the game.

:lol:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6024507/uploads/10 ... KTNQK2.jpg

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am 
100000 CLUB

:(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 am 

People just can't stick with the program. I live in a condo building and was chatting with a neighbor from a distance in the lobby. Two more residents came in and instead of keeping a distance or just moving along, they crowded the area. I made some joke about our mayor watching on the security camera and moved along.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

Is your picture posted on the wall? Any "kiss hello's" happening down there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Wonder if they'll chase you off the practice areas if you have your own shag bag of balls.

I’ll let you know what I find out later this week when I do it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
T-Bone wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

They had an editorial in the paper up here this week asking why courses can’t be open and I put in my two cents. People were calling it a rich person sport, saying the clubhouse would still be open serving beer, and just to stay home. Ugh.... people don’t take the time to understand the changes that would be in place. People.... they’re the worst

This is obviously a big issue. When we allow people the kind of power we have in this crisis, it quickly and easily moves beyond "the common good" to authoritarianism for its own sake.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” ― C. S. Lewis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I have a forest preserve a few blocks away that is usually crowded with soccer and flag football games during peak hours. Now that that ain't happening, I should be okay.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

This is obviously a big issue. When we allow people the kind of power we have in this crisis, it quickly and easily moves beyond "the common good" to authoritarianism for its own sake.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” ― C. S. Lewis

I’d hate to see what would happen if someone put a boot on JORRs bike wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:59 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I have a forest preserve a few blocks away that is usually crowded with soccer and flag football games during peak hours. Now that that ain't happening, I should be okay.

I have a big park by me that is usually used for the same reasons, that now sits empty. I was in the Golf Shack right before this hit and they had a big bin of shag balls for sale. I joked with my buddy about buying some now i wish I did.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:49 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I have a big park by me that is usually used for the same reasons, that now sits empty. I was in the Golf Shack right before this hit and they had a big bin of shag balls for sale. I joked with my buddy about buying some now i wish I did.

How many would you need? I bet I have a bunch sitting around I could try to send you Franky. Are you guys still playing your course or did you get shut down?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

How many would you need? I bet I have a bunch sitting around I could try to send you Franky. Are you guys still playing your course or did you get shut down?

Thanks. I may hit you up if our range doesn't open. Course is still open for walking or private carts only but I'd still like to just hit some balls as I'm working on a bit of a swing change. My guess is the range won't open until the clubhouse is allowed to open though. I think we should find out about that this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:58 am 

I’m going to tote some shag balls up to the course this afternoon and see what’s up. If too many people I’ll scrap it. The pro told me he’d be up there so I can chat with him a bit. There is a county in western WI that has golf open but it is the only one. My guess is we aren’t going to see any changes to golf until we get past the peak. I hope I’m wrong but May 1st is looking better in my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:11 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I’m going to tote some shag balls up to the course this afternoon and see what’s up. If too many people I’ll scrap it. The pro told me he’d be up there so I can chat with him a bit. There is a county in western WI that has golf open but it is the only one. My guess is we aren’t going to see any changes to golf until we get past the peak. I hope I’m wrong but May 1st is looking better in my mind.

I heard from a buddy of mine yesterday that Hawthorne Hills and Meekwon in Ozaukee County are going to do the same tbing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:19 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I heard from a buddy of mine yesterday that Hawthorne Hills and Meekwon in Ozaukee County are going to do the same tbing.

Sounds promising but I likely wouldn’t drive that far to play April golf. One of the guys in my usual foursome walks the course with his wife and took pics. Looking really nice so that made me anxious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next