It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Went to the local course to hit some wedges to a temporary green. The pro texted me and told me it might be a bad idea to be out there. They caught two people playing last night. $200 ticket for each of them. Meanwhile there were at least 100 people walking in the park surrounding the course

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:45 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Went to the local course to hit some wedges to a temporary green. The pro texted me and told me it might be a bad idea to be out there. They caught two people playing last night. $200 ticket for each of them. Meanwhile there were at least 100 people walking in the park surrounding the course

Those cops are total dicks and literally have nothing else to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 pm 

$200 fine for playing golf?!?! How fucking stupid. We have gone insane

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Insanity. At the very least, there should be a warning first.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This was going to finally be my year to get back on the course, after a decade off for a mix of work and health reasons. And now this fiasco happens.

My clubs are all shit. Custom made driver from about 2005, a 7 wood that is even older, and a cavity back iron set that I bought in about 2007 and never liked. I have a very slow swing speed and a short backswing, so I already had senior flex clubs.

I was an enthusiastically bad golfer, when I was playing frequently in the late 90s, I could shoot 97 on a somewhat average 6000 yard par 72 without too much water, like Village Greens of Woodridge. I grew up playing at Billy Caldwell and Chick Evans on the north side, and Marovitz when I was in graduate school. So in addition to being a poor athlete, I grew up playing where greens never held and you basically could be better off just hitting 2-iron.

I'm now off most Mondays and live in a 10-month season location. Courses are open, but driving ranges do not appear to be. And I need to start over with equipment, and the equipment stores are closed.

Any recommendations on filling out a bag for about $900? I'm thinking a driver with a bit more loft (closer to a 2 wood), a couple of hybrids, and 6-9+PW+SW. The one thing I was always good at was chipping, and I still have my trusty 1970s Wilson Staff 8 iron from the set (with persimmon woods...) I got for my 16th birthday from the old golf shop on Lincoln in Skokie. I will chip with that fucker until I die.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:50 pm 

Chet, clubs have come a long way and with that kind of budget you can likely put together a nice little bag shopping out of the used section. Even play it again sports has stuff occasionally. It might be worth getting fit once shops open back up. What will likely cost the most are the driver and hybrids and my recommendation would be to try to get all the same model or at least manufacturer if possible with matching shafts. Might be hard to find used matched stuff but you can find almost anything online.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Chet, clubs have come a long way and with that kind of budget you can likely put together a nice little bag shopping out of the used section. Even play it again sports has stuff occasionally. It might be worth getting fit once shops open back up. What will likely cost the most are the driver and hybrids and my recommendation would be to try to get all the same model or at least manufacturer if possible with matching shafts. Might be hard to find used matched stuff but you can find almost anything online.

I definitely need to get professionally fit, last time i had my custom driver done i was something like +1.75 inches on the length.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:14 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
i was something like +1.75 inches on the length.

Ya know they have pills for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
i was something like +1.75 inches on the length.

Ya know they have pills for that.
ok, I laughed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
1.75 over "standard" (assuming a 45" standard) is really long for a driver. Unless you are freakishly tall or consistently hit the center of the face, that sounds like a big mistake. Maybe he was trying to get you more distance (wider arch), but the trade-off is making solid contact less consistently. Bubba Watson plays a 44" driver and he's like 6' 3". Tiger Woods plays his at 44.25". For irons, there are many lightweight steel shaft options out there, often as no-upcharge. Make sure the club head suits your eye, aesthetics matter.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am 

Franky T wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
I plan on becoming one with my shag bag.

Wonder if they'll chase you off the practice areas if you have your own shag bag of balls.

I have a forest preserve a few blocks away that is usually crowded with soccer and flag football games during peak hours. Now that that ain't happening, I should be okay.

I have a big park by me that is usually used for the same reasons, that now sits empty. I was in the Golf Shack right before this hit and they had a big bin of shag balls for sale. I joked with my buddy about buying some now i wish I did.

Went out yesterday with the a 6 and 9 iron. Hit about 100 balls. Foot was no issue and, other than thinning the 1st shot w/the 6 iron, pretty solid contact overall. I'm ready.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
1.75 over "standard" (assuming a 45" standard) is really long for a driver. Unless you are freakishly tall or consistently hit the center of the face, that sounds like a big mistake. Maybe he was trying to get you more distance (wider arch), but the trade-off is making solid contact less consistently. Bubba Watson plays a 44" driver and he's like 6' 3". Tiger Woods plays his at 44.25". For irons, there are many lightweight steel shaft options out there, often as no-upcharge. Make sure the club head suits your eye, aesthetics matter.

I just went out to the garage and measured it. 44.5 to the top of the club head, plus more to the center of the club face. And I still topped the ball a lot.

I'm misproportioned. I'm 6'4" but with short legs. So I can sit at a table next to guys who are 6'7" and while sitting I look like the tallest guy at the table. On regional jets, my head touches the air vent if I sit up straight. So I'm a 6'7" person above the waist, and 5'11 below the waist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:12 pm 

Shaft length is measured through the club head to the bottom, so probably 46-46.5". Proper shaft length is most important on your irons since they interact with the turf. I'm about 6'2" and play standard length irons. I have a buddy who is about 6' 0". I recommended he go to a reputable fitter and he is really glad he did. He got fitted for irons 1.5" over standard and immediately became a much better ball striker.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:27 am 

Messaged a guy considering selling a Scotty Cameron Bullseye on a forum. I used to play with a Bullseye in high school and putted very well with it. It made start thinking of all the extra clubs I have to sell or trade so I think I’m going to start putting some stuff up and getting rid of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Furious Styles wrote:
Shaft length is measured through the club head to the bottom, so probably 46-46.5". Proper shaft length is most important on your irons since they interact with the turf. I'm about 6'2" and play standard length irons. I have a buddy who is about 6' 0". I recommended he go to a reputable fitter and he is really glad he did. He got fitted for irons 1.5" over standard and immediately became a much better ball striker.

So, I’m 6’3”, but I have arms like an orangutan (like a 35” sleeve length). I take it with my freakishly-long arms that I probably would stick with standard-length shafts, no?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:04 am 

I listed some clubs for sale if anyone is interested in the ‘for sale’ section.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:06 am 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

So, I’m 6’3”, but I have arms like an orangutan (like a 35” sleeve length). I take it with my freakishly-long arms that I probably would stick with standard-length shafts, no?

Maybe. My buddy's stance/posture at address is what dictated the additional 1.5".

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Furious Styles wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Maybe. My buddy's stance/posture at address is what dictated the additional 1.5".

I would love to go for a custom fitting when the shitstorm blows over, but even then, I generally have to stick to certain times on weekends only due to my job, so I don’t know if it would be worth the investment for a fitting/custom clubs if I’m potentially only going to go out 8-10 times :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:50 pm 

Just bought a custom refinished Scotty Cameron Bullseye putter. I think I’m doing this wrong, I was supposed to be selling stuff. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

https://www.golfoakknoll.net/

$13 to walk. Seems like kind of a dog track and its a bit of a drive (Crown Point, IN), but I think I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I'm looking for a pushcart if anyone has an extra. I have a titleist stand up carry bag. I hear that limits the push carts that work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:32 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

$13 to walk. Seems like kind of a dog track and its a bit of a drive (Crown Point, IN), but I think I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow.

The only NWI course I've played is Palmira and it's a really nice layout.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:

9am tee time. Get up with the little guy at 7ish, give him his milk, then hit the road. Got my push cart. Free drop from bunkers (no rakes out there), cup is 2" above the grass so once you hit the cup you're holed out. No need to touch the flagstick. No ball washers or water coolers. Clubhouse closed, pay thru a walk up window. Course restrooms open. Concession pickup window is open with drinks-including beer- chips, and pre-made sandwiches.

Giddy up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
my buddy from Orlando called me yesterday to tell me I was lucky our yearly golf trip wasn't right now cause he's playing the best golf of his life thanks to quarantine. He lives across the street from a course, goes there every day and plays 18 with his kid in the afternoon. Then at night he goes back and chips and putts for a couple hours. Says the course is open for walking, but no pins or rakes. The practice green is a mess though as everyone is going out there. People who don't even play are going out there to try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 am 

shakes wrote:
my buddy from Orlando called me yesterday to tell me I was lucky our yearly golf trip wasn't right now cause he's playing the best golf of his life thanks to quarantine. He lives across the street from a course, goes there every day and plays 18 with his kid in the afternoon. Then at night he goes back and chips and putts for a couple hours. Says the course is open for walking, but no pins or rakes. The practice green is a mess though as everyone is going out there. People who don't even play are going out there to try it out.

I hope you said your goodbyes to your friend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Not trying to rub it in, but man did it do wonders for my mental health to get out and play a round of golf today. Not the best course in the world, but hitting some golf shots and enjoying the nice weather was a huge bonus. I will be driving across the border to play again if our course is remained closed through May.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I know what you mean, Frank. I played 9 today. The "compromise" with my course, the board of health, and law enforcement was that if you are out there playing by yourself they aren't going to say you can't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not trying to rub it in, but man did it do wonders for my mental health to get out and play a round of golf today. Not the best course in the world, but hitting some golf shots and enjoying the nice weather was a huge bonus. I will be driving across the border to play again if our course is remained closed through May.

Sorry you had to slum it in the region, but glad you got out and got some fresh air and got to swing some clubs. Stuff like that does really help.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 pm 

Definitely going to hit up NWI next week for my 1st round.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm 

Set up my new golf net and it works pretty decent I just don’t have a great place to set it up so I’ll likely be hitting off the driveway. Hey it’s better than nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next