It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:22 pm 

I find Laurence Holmes to be a good guy.just victimized by things beyond his control. I have difficulty listening to him pronouce words like "to" as "te-u" . He does this with several words and I don't know if it is a speech impediment or an affectation.

Within his control are his dry reads,no enthusiasm at all and his flirtation with most of the female guests he has on the show. Last week when he had the NBC 5 sports reporter on, you could almost hear his slobbering as well as his bragging about knowing "Ginger Z" to the point he knew she was a good dancer. Fascinating insights. It was unlistenable.

One poster said it best- the world needs beat reporters "te-u" and Laurence is much better in that role. If he indeed does know what we care about, how about giving us better radio between 10 and noon?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Funny you say that. I've noticed that he says "to" as "t-eu". It is fucking annoying. He can't even pronounce Illinois. It's "Ellinois" in Larry's world.

He's also one of those ass holes that won't pronounce the "H" on words like Houston. It's "U-ston" for Larry. I actually heard him pronounce Fred Huebner that way. He said "Fred U-bener". That's just wrong. If the actual person pronounces his name with the "H" then you should as well. You should also pronounce the "H" on Houston but Larry isn't the only guy that does that.

The lusting over the channel 5 girls is very creepy. I really feel sorry for Paula and Ginger. They have to be weirded out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Beardown wrote:
The lusting over the channel 5 girls is very creepy. I really feel sorry for Paula and Ginger. They have to be weirded out.

They should have the common sense not to guest on his show(s)...

Seriously, you would expect these gals might have some weird stalker-types sending them email. Heh. I miss the Julie Sweica Sunday morning baseball show :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I see Larry recreating this scene one day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnSCSBMmYg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's pretty slick. He was able to grab a hot girl's ass under the guise of a bad comedy bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

I haven't heard Larry's most recent weirdness with the NBC girls. I remember when it started on his night show by doing a bit about being engaged to Ginger. It was weird. Especially when he started talking about his weekly sement on Sunday with her. It went something like this...

Larry - Ginger is sooooooo nice. We have a really, really, reallly, really good working relationship. It's just great. Like I said, Ginger is soooooo nice. Really, really, really, really nice.

Larry uses "Sooooo" and "really" a lot. Especially when he patronizes his listeners. "I'm soooooo looking forward to the show today. I'm really, really, really looking forward to taking your calls. I'm soooooo excited."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:57 pm 

yeah, hes kind of gay with that.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
kinda... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

When he speaks like that he comes across as either a "wide eyed teenager" or a "disingenuous bullshiter." One of the two.

Plus, he likes to tell everybody how great and acomplished he is.

-Hinting that he has a relationship with Ginger.

-Telling people he was close to being in MLB.

-Telling everybody about how he works out and runs.

He doesn't know he comes across as an ass wipe, of course, cuz if he did he wouldn't do it. He thinks people will be impressed but he just comes off as being full of himself or a stroke. What's more amazing, he thinks that people actually beleive his bullshit lies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Beardown wrote:
Funny you say that. I've noticed that he says "to" as "t-eu". It is fucking annoying. He can't even pronounce Illinois. It's "Ellinois" in Larry's world.

He's also one of those ass holes that won't pronounce the "H" on words like Houston. It's "U-ston" for Larry. I actually heard him pronounce Fred Huebner that way. He said "Fred U-bener". That's just wrong. If the actual person pronounces his name with the "H" then you should as well. You should also pronounce the "H" on Houston but Larry isn't the only guy that does that.

Why not just live and let live?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Why not just live and let live?

If we did that we wouldn't have Redacted. Hell, if it was live and let live we wouldn't have sports radio either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
was I listening to my imaginary radio or was Carol Slezak on? Sounded like Julie's mouthbreathers were back...I remember one time Doug was on and he got asked about Julie...poor Doug had no clue what happened to her and the next five minutes were like a long Doug golf course read as he tried to explain where she might have gone..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
He ought to change the name to Flatline because the show has no "Pulse".I feel like stabbing a white person ...namely myself, in an eardrum for listening to this shit!!

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

"The Pulse" is incredibly stupid. Why do you need to force a segment name on callers who want to just talk about latest sports news?

The only thing worse is him explaining what the topic is between every caller like he's just discovered oil in the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Right. 90% of the pulse segment is Larry telling you how amazing it is and explaining what it is. You're right BD, he'll always say "What are you talking about around the water cooler and on the streets."

That fuckin' "water cooler". Like we're living in the 1970s or something. Who the fuck gathers around water coolers anymore? That sounds so stupid. Who talks in the streets? That reminds me of an old 1950s movie where Mac would meet Buddy in the street, talk about Micky Mantle's homer, as they walked to the pool hall.

It's not an amazing thing Larry. This "pulse" of yours. Just open up the lines. We're talking about yesterdays fuckin' game. Or we're talking about whatever the hell is in the news. Same shit that you use as a talk show host. It's not complicated. Taking calls isn't amazing even if you give it a fancy name like "The Pulse."

This is another example of Larry patronizing his listeners with this bullshit.

That's what I've noticed about Bernsie. He just starts talking about something and gives out the number. He never introduces a topic. People just jump in on whatever he is talking about. It's not this canned bullshit that Larry does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:56 pm 

Location: A little town called none of your god-damned business
Larry is all canned bullshit. The only one who is amazed at his pronouncements is him. I thnk he really has very little to offer so the window dressing takes up time and space. Yet he is so amazed that he is on the air that he has to walk each caller by the hand through his little world and all of its amazements. It is torture for most of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 am 

Beardown wrote:

"Fuck HHHUUUGGGHHH..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 am 

Beardown wrote:
Right. 90% of the pulse segment is Larry telling you how amazing it is and explaining what it is. You're right BD, he'll always say "What are you talking about around the water cooler and on the streets."

That fuckin' "water cooler". Like we're living in the 1970s or something. Who the fuck gathers around water coolers anymore? That sounds so stupid. Who talks in the streets? That reminds me of an old 1950s movie where Mac would meet Buddy in the street, talk about Micky Mantle's homer, as they walked to the pool hall.

It's not an amazing thing Larry. This "pulse" of yours. Just open up the lines. We're talking about yesterdays fuckin' game. Or we're talking about whatever the hell is in the news. Same shit that you use as a talk show host. It's not complicated. Taking calls isn't amazing even if you give it a fancy name like "The Pulse."

This is another example of Larry patronizing his listeners with this bullshit.

That's what I've noticed about Bernsie. He just starts talking about something and gives out the number. He never introduces a topic. People just jump in on whatever he is talking about. It's not this canned bullshit that Larry does.

a pro-bernsie post! I've got happy feelings all over now...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:35 am 

Quote:
Laurence Knows What We Care About

mmmhmm...getting him put back in Bears reporting, for starters...that's a cause I could rally behind...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
aparicio wrote:
Larry is all canned bullshit. The only one who is amazed at his pronouncements is him. I thnk he really has very little to offer so the window dressing takes up time and space. Yet he is so amazed that he is on the air that he has to walk each caller by the hand through his little world and all of its amazements. It is torture for most of us.

Zach's a little banal in his pronouncements as well. But no-one's carting him out for a daytime slot, so I don't mind as much.

Time for this experiment to end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 am 

right on...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Beardown wrote:

fwiw: this post weirded me out...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 am 

Beardown wrote:

I didn't realize playing club baseball in college quantified as being close to MLB.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
conns7901 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I didn't realize playing club baseball in college quantified as being close to MLB.

He tried out for the Cubs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I know I really care about Larry trying to sing karoke to Biz Markie's "Just a Friend"

Could there possibly be any worse radio?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:23 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Beardown wrote:

He tried out for the Cubs.

Suckers Playground tried out for the Tigers.....so did almost make the MLB also? I tried out for the Phillies back in 93, does that count too?

What a crock of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Suckers Playground tried out for the Tigers.....so did almost make the MLB also? I tried out for the Phillies back in 93, does that count too?

It does, according to Larry. Next time you call make sure to mention that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I've heard about five minutes of the Laurence Holmes midday show. In those five minutes I heard the Dramatic Hamster soundbite (in reference to the Twins chasing the Sox) about five times. Forced meme.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:33 pm 

Bagels wrote:
I know I really care about Larry trying to sing karoke to Biz Markie's "Just a Friend"

Could there possibly be any worse radio?

yeah MJH parody songs :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've heard about five minutes of the Laurence Holmes midday show. In those five minutes I heard the Dramatic Hamster soundbite (in reference to the Twins chasing the Sox) about five times. Forced meme.

It seems all the hosts these days wear out a catch phrase or inside joke that makes you crazy.