It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 pm 

I am going to disagree on the Von Erichs.

Sad we never got to see David reach his potential. He was going to be great. If you could combine Kevin and Kerry into one guy you would have had an all timer as well. Mike don't really even count :lol:

Greg Gagne is a GREAT choice, talk about lucky sperm club.

CM Punk could go, look back at some of his stuff with Samoa Joe during their indy days.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:24 pm 

Donald Trump

He's like the Tracy McGrady of the WWE Hall Of Fame.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
I can't remember shit about the guy but there was a guy before Warrior, Lex, etc. Vince picked out to succeed Hogan. Apparently the guy had the looks+, was okay on the stick, and had his first match at a house show with Bret Hart, and he looked phenomenal. Of course, when they put him out there with someone else, they quickly discovered the guy was the drizzling shits without Bret to carry him. Like, REALLY bad.

They say the match was never released but I thought at some point I'd seen the match. Like I say I can't remember his name. I imagine someone in the thread will eventually research/remember the guy.

There's a youtube video out there about this guy and his match with Bret. I'll try to track it down when I'm in front of a computer, but I watched it sometime in the past 6 months.

Edit: I think Boyd got the name right above

I think there was a doc on the WWE Network about that a few months ago

I will have to check that out, do you know a name of this doc?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
long time guy wrote:
Yeah the WCCW Austin was the real deal. Agree with you on the Rock too.

Hell, the stuff Austin did with Paul E and the Dangerous Alliance was what got him hired in WWE.

Nikita Koloff is another name that comes to mind, too. Before his face turn, he was a solid tag team with Uncle Ivan (who could go back in his day)...the problem is that Magnum TA crashed his Porsche...and Dusty needed someone to turn with a roster that was pretty thin in terms of guys who could be babyfaces. Nikita only had good matches with Flair, but Flair in the mid 80's was great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:26 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I will have to check that out, do you know a name of this doc?

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-most-in ... we-network

Looks like it is Holy Grail: The Search for WWE’s Most Infamous Lost Match

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Even Verne was smart enough never to make Greg AWA world champion. He just created the International Television Title for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:31 pm 

August Schell wrote:
Even Verne was smart enough never to make Greg AWA world champion. He just created the International Television Title for him.

The AWA was the drizzling shits after Vince raided them.

I remember many a Sunday night watching AWA wrestling on ESPN. Bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:33 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Yeah the WCCW Austin was the real deal. Agree with you on the Rock too.

Hell, the stuff Austin did with Paul E and the Dangerous Alliance was what got him hired in WWE.

Nikita Koloff is another name that comes to mind, too. Before his face turn, he was a solid tag team with Uncle Ivan (who could go back in his day)...the problem is that Magnum TA crashed his Porsche...and Dusty needed someone to turn with a roster that was pretty thin in terms of guys who could be babyfaces. Nikita only had good matches with Flair, but Flair in the mid 80's was great.

I was a Nikita Koloff fan. Even though the Russian Sickle was nothing more than a glorified clothesline It still seemed to be a devastating finishing move.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:33 pm 

Roddy Piper was an overrated wrestler. One of the best mic guys in history but he blew as a wrestler.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:34 pm 

August Schell wrote:
Road Warriors. They wrestled one match.

This is another bad call.

Sure they were not great technical wrestlers, but they were a great draw. And they had some great matches with the R n R express, Horsemen, and Midnight Express.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:38 pm 

My favorite Federation of All Time was the old Mid South which eventually became UWF. That was one deep ass roster. They had guys and they had some of the best in ring stuff this side of the stuff that Japan used to put on. Highly underrated and mostly forgotten Federation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:41 pm 

long time guy wrote:
My favorite Federation of All Time was the old Mid South which eventually became UWF. That was one deep ass roster. They had guys and they had some of the best in ring stuff this side of the stuff that Japan used to put on. Highly underrated and mostly forgotten Federation.

Dr Death was one of my favorites as a kid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm 

Yeah Mid south was great, so many guys got their start there and moved on to amazing things.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
dudley boys... hardy boys tag team

i never did care much for sting

i never found any of mark henry's in ring work compelling... same goes for billy gunn's solo work

and screw goldberg and his dumb spear

Last edited by billypootons on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:43 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

My guy was Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm 

billypootons wrote:

Yikes...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:47 pm 

billypootons wrote:
dudley boys... hardy boys tag team

i never found any of mark henry's in ring work compelling... same goes for billy gunn's solo work

and screw goldberg and his dumb spear

I can go with you on the Dudleys. They had some fun moments at times, but it was usually always other teams carrying them in matches.

Goldberg - absolutely. WAY overrated and shoved down our throats to attempt to be the WCW version of Stone Cold.

But I cannot go on Sting. Sting could do it all.

Mark Henry had a run for awhile as a monster that I thought was pretty good. I have always thought he was underused and could have been more.

Billy Gunn good with the New Age Outlaws.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Luger
Nash
Hogan
Warrior
Brock Lesnar
Goldberg

Good call on Goldberg.

Goldberg did have some legit functional strength though...

https://youtu.be/gQBG_YtkJuQ

Last edited by MongoMuller on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

My guy was Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer.

Buzz Sawyer was a fun heel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Yes ... Tom Magee sounds right.

HHH is a bad answer indeed.

His ring psychology was nearly above reproach ... the fact that people still hold a grudge against the guy to this day is proof of that. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Nash
Waltman

Goldberg

Larry Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Holy shit this is fantastic topic.

Some good answers already like Luger and Greg Gagne.

The only von Erichs that should be listed are those after Kevin. David, Kerry, and Kevin were all solid.

Most of ECW roster should be on here.

Of recent vintage, Roman Reigns is entirely forgettable most of the time. And of course Jinder Mahal and Great Khali.

Big Show too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I would ass Sasha Banks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:37 pm 

Jinder Mahal is a great choice for more recent times. Dude sucks.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
chaspoppcap wrote:
I would ass Sasha Banks

Hell yes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
August Schell wrote:

But that was fine in the territory days. They did their no-sell gimmick and it was quite novel and it's not like the whole country saw it on TV last week. They'd come to town every once in a great while and squash someone or have a Chicago Street Fight match and that would put asses every eighteen inches each time.

long time guy wrote:
I always thought CM Punk wasn't shit as a grappler too.

I begrudgingly agree with the CM Punk opinions ... he was a special talker, and he wasn't bad in the ring, I just really never quite got what made him so special in a match. I want to think better of him, I just can't bring myself to do it.

If you never saw the Dudley Boys in ECW live, then you never saw the Dudley Boys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:57 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Holy shit this is fantastic topic.

Some good answers already like Luger and Greg Gagne.

The only von Erichs that should be listed are those after Kevin. David, Kerry, and Kevin were all solid.

Most of ECW roster should be on here.

Of recent vintage, Roman Reigns is entirely forgettable most of the time. And of course Jinder Mahal and Great Khali.

Big Show too.

In Big Show's WCW days he could move pretty damn well for a guy his size. Then he got fat and hurty and bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:00 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
I would ass Sasha Banks

Hell yes

I just cant do the women's wrestling. I know that is bad and all, but I just can't. Becky Lynch is interesting once in awhile. Charlotte Flair occasionally. But I just don't like it. I have tried and tried, but I just can't get myself to like it.

During this lock down my daughters and I have been watching a ton of wrestlemanias. And as we made our way into more recent ones my 16 yr old daughter said, "Dad why are they now showing so many more woman's matches? I don't really like them they don't look real. Can we just fast forward past them?" I smiled and said, YES, YES we can!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:00 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
August Schell wrote:

But that was fine in the territory days. They did their no-sell gimmick and it was quite novel and it's not like the whole country saw it on TV last week. They'd come to town every once in a great while and squash someone or have a Chicago Street Fight match and that would put asses every eighteen inches each time.

I was a huge Road Warrior fan but man did they get a ton of mileage out their early-mid 80's AWA work. They were on cruise control after that mostly living off of their reps.They were never able to get back to that period and they weren't really good workers. Took too much time away only to show up and provide a shitty performance. Especially Animal. I would still roll with them anyway even knowing that they really didn't have it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
August Schell wrote:

I was a huge Road Warrior fan but man did they get a ton of mileage out their early-mid 80's AWA work. They were on cruise control after mostly living off of their reps at that point. They were never able to get back to that period and they weren't really good workers. Took too much time away only to show up and provide a shitty performance. Especially Animal. I would still roll with them anyway even knowing that they really didn't have it anymore.

Part of the issue is they were booked bad a lot of the time. They kept trying to put them with other big muscular teams like Barbarian and whoever his partner was. That was bad. They needed to be with teams like the RnR express and Midnight who would make them look good and take major bumps for them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next