It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Nice work on the new gear.

Whittaker Woods is a fun course to play. Tough, narrow driving holes.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Got out on Saturday, felt great! Didn't rake my traps!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
The traps were concrete on Wed. and Friday. We didnt hit out of them.

Got the irons today. Titleist T300s with AMT R300 Red shafts.

I have to play this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
First round in 9 years and 51 weeks.

We played the senior tees, as we are both over 55. I shot 57 on the front 9 (about 2800 yards), with the only cheat that on two forced carry tee shots I just dropped in the fairway about 100 yards off the tee and called it my tee shot. Highlight besides just getting out was sinking a 22' putt to save a bogey. My chipping and putting was really good, my pitching from inside 40 was consistently a bit short as I was decelerating at times.

I didn't play every hole on the back nine as my lack of physical conditioning combined with 88 degree heat and humidity combined with a lot more forced carries wore me out. My tee time was at 8:45, next Tuesday I will try to tee off around 7:30. Down this far south, they don't have the 5:45am tee times that I used to grab.

They were back to two to a cart, which would be annoying right now if I got paired with a random guy who thought COVID was a liberal hoax. So I will have to be strategic about using GolfNow to make bookings the night before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nice job getting back on the wagon, chet.

Let us know how the irons work out, doug.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Three days in a row of 18 holes with wife and other couple friends out of state. Looking fort to fun and hopefully good play.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:13 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
pittmike wrote:
Three days in a row of 18 holes with wife and other couple friends out of state. Looking fort to fun and hopefully good play.

Good luck and hope you get good weather. I’m headed out the next three days myself as long as the weather holds

Edit—- rained out after 7 today. Oh well

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm 

Played well this weekend. I’d say the most inconsistent club has been my 3 wood. It’s a 13 degree Callaway X Hot 3 Deep. Essentially a 2 wood. Very difficult to hit off the ground. Long story short, I’m on a club junkies group on Facebook and a guy was selling the exact club with exact shaft in 14.5 degree loft. These were new back in 2013 so not easy to find really. $75 shipped seemed reasonable to me. Looking forward to getting it. I’ll take the other one to my moms and put it with my set down there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Shot at 93 at Coyote Run on Saturday morning it what was yet another horribly inconsistent round of golf. Two balls in the water off the first tee. It has a forced carry over water, but its maybe 100 yards at best, so that was frustrating. Starting off the round with a 9 then a 7 is not a good thing. Then I birdied #3 in the pouring rain with a great drive, and a 7iron from 167 to about 15'. Then birdied a short par 4 and parred a parred 3. Its rare for me to have two birdies in a round, let a lone back to back birds so I know I have some good shots in me. Had two 6s and another 7 on the back 9, but also only had one 3putt on the day which was nice.

Figured about the 14th or 15th hole I was lifting my head a bit which was leading to a bladed chip here and there and some topped shots. Focused on keeping my head down the last few holes and struck the ball much better.

Going out Thursday afternoon for a freebie round at Stony Creek. Hoping to break 80 (its a short par 66 course).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm 

Heading out tomorrow before the rains come. I picked a "country club" about 35 miles east of me somewhat out in the country. Right now, only 4 people have tee times all morning, so I figure that my 8am time will be solo, and I may even be the first one out. I just don't know what the members do, and how many are likely to sneak out at the last minute for a semi-early round. When I lived in suburban Boston back in the day, most courses opened at 6. Here they open at 7:30 or 8, which is annoying and I figure detracts from morning rounds. Then again, it is a holiday week.

I had to break down and buy golf balls with a yellow color on them, otherwise I will pick my head up on way too many shots. The only place I used to use the yellow ones was at Maravitz when it was still called Waveland, because their dandelion control was awful and the rough would be a sea of white puffs in August.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm 

For $27 riding, you get a goat farm. Fairways were beat up, the first cut of rough had huge bare spots where they need to reseed, and three holes on the back were under construction and converted to par 3s. But I got a chance to hit both my drivers, and give my new 19 degree hybrid a workout from both the tee and fairway. I also hit PW exclusively inside 90 yards to start stretching out my swing a little. I pretty much hit driver, hybrid, PW, chip, two putts on every par 4. I picked the tee box closest to 300 at each par 4, so I went back and forth between the senior and regular tees. 5400 is a good length for me right now until I can get my driver to 180 consistently.

There was a threesome two holes in front if me on the front, and a guy walking at a fast pace who started when I was on 4 and who I slowed down to let pass me on 15. Still, I got around in 3 hours even and I started 20 minutes early, so even with a 45 minute drive I was home by 11:20. It was 76 when I started and 91 when I finished, but I packed Gatorade and breakfast.

Next Tuesday, I'm hoping to be able to play in Southern Pines, as the courses catering to timeshare visitors are getting hammered by COVID fear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 am 

Rounds scheduled for F,Sat,Sun. Going to be steamy. 35 in so far this year so just going to keep plugging along. Worst news was that a guy in our group apparently had a mild stroke before Sunday’s round and backed out. Waiting to hear how his Upcoming tests go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am 

Quick question. If you take step dad and 20 y/o son out on a course for the first time assuming limiting to 9 holes how do you guys roll? Only early on weekdays. Only late twilight? double par pick it up? Other tips?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am 

Go to the practice range.

Otherwise, twilight. Definitely twilight.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am 

Playing Friday at Whispering Springs in Fond du Lac, Shakes knows this course well. Not sure on Saturday yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:

This. Pickup as well. They dont necessarily have to be done with the hole, but if they are on their 6th shot and still 150 out from the green, just have them pick up and drop on the green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am 

I played 9 this morning before it got too hot out. Played about as well as I could and finished 1 over. I putted really well today with a rather long birdie putt and a couple decent par putts.

I am going to be investing in a new driver and some hybrids. I am not looking to spend a ton of money. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Playing Steeple Chase in Mundelein Saturday late-morning. It will be the first time out with the new clubs. I need to get to the range today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:
I played 9 this morning before it got too hot out. Played about as well as I could and finished 1 over. I putted really well today with a rather long birdie putt and a couple decent par putts.

I am going to be investing in a new driver and some hybrids. I am not looking to spend a ton of money. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Look on 2nd Swing. Can usually find clubs that are a couple years older and discounted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm 

eBay or callawaypreowned.com.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

This. Pickup as well. They dont necessarily have to be done with the hole, but if they are on their 6th shot and still 150 out from the green, just have them pick up and drop on the green

Twilight. Red tees. If there is a forced carry from the tee, drop at the beginning of the fairway and call it 1. Pick a course with minimal creeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:56 pm 

Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Look on 2nd Swing. Can usually find clubs that are a couple years older and discounted.

Dicks/Golf Galaxy is selling their Top-Flite 2019 hybrid senior flex for $39 on sale. I bought the 3h (19 degrees) and I liked it the first time out. Easy to hit. Suggest to your stepdad that he use something like that outside about 135 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:56 pm 

Dicks/Golf Galaxy is selling their Top-Flite 2019 hybrid senior flex for $39 on sale. I bought the 3h (19 degrees) and I liked it the first time out. Easy to hit. Suggest to your stepdad that he use something like that outside about 135 yards.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Twilight. Red tees. If there is a forced carry from the tee, drop at the beginning of the fairway and call it 1. Pick a course with minimal creeks.

Most importantly make sure they have fun, we need more people playing golf.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Agree with both of the above.

And also let them know that you are just playing this way to start. If they keep practicing and get better, maybe later in the fall they can play nine holes where they count every stroke. Or they can start off that next summer after a couple of warm-up rounds in the spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Agree with both of the above.

And also let them know that you are just playing this way to start. If they keep practicing and get better, maybe later in the fall they can play nine holes where they count every stroke. Or they can start off that next summer after a couple of warm-up rounds in the spring.

A good way for newbies to score is "Did I make a good shot on that hole?" Maybe they keep on duffing it, but then they hit a chip from the fringe to 4 feet. Thats a good hole. When they can shoot an "eight" for 9 holes then convert to the traditional scoring method.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:52 pm 

Used 3 wood arrived today. Got it regripped and ready to go for Friday. I think it’s going to work really well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

That’s what I meant by double par. You pick it up whatever double par is for the hole.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
pittmike wrote:
Quick question. If you take step dad and 20 y/o son out on a course for the first time assuming limiting to 9 holes how do you guys roll? Only early on weekdays. Only late twilight? double par pick it up? Other tips?

I say anytime, assuming that you will implement a stroke maximum and don't spend too much time looking for balls and just drop often.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hawg Ass wrote:
Playing Friday at Whispering Springs in Fond du Lac, Shakes knows this course well. Not sure on Saturday yet.

I barely know that course. Now as for navigating the many streams and waterways that run through the course I'm pretty much Lewis and Clark in that department.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next