It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:12 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Dan Bernstein wrote:
IS THAT A THREAT?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:52 am 
1000 CLUB

vitoscotti wrote:
Jason Goff was on with Larry Tuesday. It was very bizarre indeed.

Goff- Make sure we don't forget about the people that are still ...ah ...shouldn't be forgotten. The times seem like they're quieting down. Shouldn't be quiet because people are still being taken advantage of. (Making threats on sportsradio. On a station he was fired from.)
Larry- (Closing out the lovefest) One of Chicago's real "heros"...Jason Goff.

I heard the interview. I didn't take it as a threat. I actually didn't understand what Goff meant. I'm not sure Goff knew what he meant. He's always been the type of guy to just puke out words. He loves talking.

Larry did call Goff a hero. How is Jason Goff a hero?

It's always weird when Larry interviews Goff. He feels the need to suck Goff's dick. It's just two guys telling each other how great they are. I've said it before, I think it's cuz they are both black and feel they have to do this love fest. I actually don't think they're friends in real life.

But Larry saying Goff is a hero made me laugh. I like the Larry/Goff interviews for the entertainment. It's so stupid which makes it funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 am 

didn't some anonymous station employee who posted here back in the day report that when Larry had a party, cool kid producers like Goff and drinky tried to find every excuse not to attend. When they were forced to, they showed up, drank his free booze and took off as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am 

Goff is a hero because he spent a couple of hours cleaning up the commercial district in his neighborhood after the looting. He's a hero because he didn't want anyone to know about it. He just quietly put it all over twitter, had a reporter follow him around and is on the radio announcing it to Sir.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Isn't Larry the only black host on the main Chicago talk stations? Score, ESPN 1000, wgn, wls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Goff is a hero because he spent a couple of hours cleaning up the commercial district in his neighborhood after the looting. He's a hero because he didn't want anyone to know about it. He just quietly put it all over twitter, had a reporter follow him around and is on the radio announcing it to Sir.

:lol: yeah i love the constant bragging online about all the work

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

:lol: yeah i love the constant bragging online about all the work

Ok. I didn't know that. Goff is one of those types.

Don't get me wrong, sweeping up the glass from broken windows is a nice gesture. So it means you're nice. It doesn't make you a hero. Larry likes to build Goff up. Just do it Goff without telling people you did it. A bunch of non public figures did it as well, Jason.

I sometimes help old ladies load their cars at grocery stores when I see them struggling in the parking lot. That doesn't make me a hero either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:40 am 

I think its great that he did the cleanup. However, he made sure to spray it all over his Twitter and have a reporter out to document and have Sir interview him about it all the while feigning a desire for anonymity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:41 am 

RFDC wrote:
It just never stops with this dude :lol:

In transition with Mac and Parkins they are talking about physical altercations following the deal last night with the Cubs. Parkins asked Larry when the last time he had a physical altercation. He hemmed hawed around a little and then after more prodding says that two times in his adult life he had to be pulled off of someone.

A couple weeks ago he was telling people how he really should have went to law school because he is that bright...

Real talk. Laurence is a lot of things, but I dont think he is dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

In transition with Mac and Parkins they are talking about physical altercations following the deal last night with the Cubs. Parkins asked Larry when the last time he had a physical altercation. He hemmed hawed around a little and then after more prodding says that two times in his adult life he had to be pulled off of someone.

A couple weeks ago he was telling people how he really should have went to law school because he is that bright...

And let's be honest, you can be a moron and a lawyer.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:45 am 

Darkside wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Right and you can be book smart and street dumb.

My brother is a great example. Straight A's his whole life. Then we run out of gas on his fuckin boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Goff is a hero because he spent a couple of hours cleaning up the commercial district in his neighborhood after the looting.

Like rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
RFDC wrote:

There's nothing stopping him from going to law school now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He's definitely not dumb. He's just stunted in his emotional growth and does not have a creative mind. All the "I could have" stories flow from these flaws (baseball tryout, Yale, law school). That doesn't make him a bad guy or bad at his job. He puts together a very technically precise show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He's definitely not dumb. He's just stunted in his emotional growth and does not have a creative mind. All the "I could have" stories flow from these flaws (baseball tryout, Yale, law school). That doesn't make him a bad guy or bad at his job. He puts together a very technically precise show.

He is manipulative. Which doesn't make him smart or dumb.

And his emotional growth as you stated, is incredibly stunted. And his grasp on his personal reality is tenuous at best.

The odd part of all of this is he runs a technically sound show, which he learned from observing Murph.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
rogers park bryan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Right and you can be book smart and street dumb.

My brother is a great example. Straight A's his whole life. Then we run out of gas on his fuckin boat.

My older brother, perfect score ACT and SAT. Considered boy genius. When he was 16 his car broke down in the middle of Lake Cook and Waukegan road intersection. major intersection. My brother decided that was a perfect time to go to Cisco's restaurant and have a sit down dinner and then afterwards he walked 3 miles to a friend's house to use his phone. Meanwhile, cops show up at our house demanding to know why our car is sitting in the middle of a massive intersection.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: What??
There's no correlation between wisdom and IQ. It's been researched. Going around the block a few times and soaking in that experience is every bit as valuable as raw intelligence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:49 pm 

Larry's " A Chicago hero...Jason Goff" statement will go down in Score history as one of the funniest quotes ever uttered by a host. And there have been quite a few by another hero of Larry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=le ... ORM=WRVORC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Caught a bit of Sir the other day, and he had a new (?) producer on air named Julio Rosaio (not sure of the spelling). This guy has a golden voice for radio. Couldn't tell from the short sample whether he can put two thoughts together, but maybe he can get some air time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He's also full of shit..."I was being scouted by the Sox while on my club team at DePaul" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Check our Larry’s twitter and see his goofy awkward recaps after the Sox game.

The first one from last night is particularly good.

He looks and acts like a large child. Yikes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Apparently losing his TV gig.

NBC Sports Chicago is scaling back its programming and laying off employees as part of cuts across parent company NBCUniversal.

Among those let go are host Leila Rahimi and Laurence Holmes, and dropped programming includes “Sports Talk Live.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Thoughts and prayers am I right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
It's not like it was a sprawling operation to begin with. I just read last week that they laid off all their technical staff and outsourced it all back to Secaucus or Stamford or whichever suburb NBC warehouses its cable operations in. Somehow this is more cost-effective than running a Chicago channel out of Chicago.

The RSNs may as well switch to being gametime-only (which would actually come full circle for a lot of markets) since game telecasts are about all they're going to produce anymore. I think they discovered that people are perfectly fine just having old games on in the background during the day and have no real desire to watch Dave Kaplan's Midday Radio Host And Tertiary Beat Writer Roundtable or anything like that. Hour for hour, you pay so much for these channels and get so little.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Apparently losing his TV gig.

NBC Sports Chicago is scaling back its programming and laying off employees as part of cuts across parent company NBCUniversal.

Among those let go are host Leila Rahimi and Laurence Holmes, and dropped programming includes “Sports Talk Live.”

Has Leery made an announcement that he was just about to tender his resignation anyway, or something along those lines? IIRC, when he was wasn't retained by Ch. 5 he essentially said he didn't really want that job anyway because he wanted to devote more time to his radio show and 120 Sports.

Curious Hair wrote:
I think they discovered that people are perfectly fine just having old games on in the background during the day and have no real desire to watch Dave Kaplan's Midday Radio Host And Tertiary Beat Writer Roundtable or anything like that.

:lol:

Good for him for having a successful, decades-long career in the 3rd largest market in the country, but I have no idea how he has lasted so long. He sounds like someone doing a parody of a stereotypically cheesy sports-talk host.

Edit: As good dolphin said, he does hustle his ass off. Part is his longevity is likely attributable to that -- "sometimes your best ability is availability."

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm 

yeah, Kaplan is definitely a direct descendant of Chet in terms of his broadcasting DNA

I have to give the guy credit, he is an old school hustler. No job is too small and he travel far and wide for a payday. I respect that, especially in light of today's four hour workday producers happy to rely on their wives jobs to be given their daily bread

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
yeah, Kaplan is definitely a direct descendant of Chet in terms of his broadcasting DNA

I have to give the guy credit, he is an old school hustler. No job is too small and he travel far and wide for a payday. I respect that, especially in light of today's four hour workday producers happy to rely on their wives jobs to be given their daily bread

Chet was a bit before my time.. Kap is a husslin MFer tho. He'll drive to Peoria to call a hoops game at 6 pm after working 3 hours at ESPN. Benetti is a husslin MFer as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Kap offers the best product in town. He’s not the best per se at a thing...but he’s sure and steady. Takes calls. Talks sports and only sports. And has fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 am 

The guy loves sports and would be talking about them all the time if he were not paid to talk about them. Which hosts at the Score do you think that is true of right now? Maybe Mully, Haugh and Sir.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
The guy loves sports and would be talking about them all the time if he were not paid to talk about them. Which hosts at the Score do you think that is true of right now? Maybe Mully, Haugh and Sir.

Too bad the annoyance factor takes over about 15-20 minutes in. He's like those CBS radio guys except he's local.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next