It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I bought a new driver today and fell in love with it on my way to a 75. Ping G410 LST.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Played pretty well at Countryside on Sunday (for me). I had a 7, *8, and fucking *10 on the front nine, but still ended up with a 50. Got a bit tired on the back so wasn't hitting it very far, but had a 50 as well. Probably my best overall round since I can remember. I'm figuring out the driver. Lost 3 *balls, two on the front, one on the back. Putter was decent. Greens were very fast. I should crack 100 this summer/fall.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:45 am 

Shot 83, Blue Tees, at Whispering Springs on Saturday 43-40. Drove it well, iron play was terrible, bunker play was terrible and my lag putting sucked, other than that it was great :P .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
shakes wrote:
playing tomorrow for first time in a couple weeks. Deerfield with a buddy. Resident rate is $44 with a cart, pretty sweet for a solid course that's always in good shape.

Played out here a few weeks ago and struggled on the front and then did great on teh back. Front is much tougher at Deerfield. I'd say the 5 or 6 hardest holes on the course are all on the front. Hoping to get off to a better start tomorow. The key is coming off of #2 at at most 1 over. #1 is super easy and must be parred to have any shot at a good round cause there's a par 4 out there that I'm ecstatic to walk away with a bogey. #2 requires a ass tightening drive to a very narrow landing spot between a pond and OB. After that the hole opens up.

Back 9 out there is wide open and not that interesting, but will always hold a special place in my heart since I got my ace on #16. Back then it was #7.

Played well at Deerfield except for one awful blow up hole. Got off to a great start parring the first 3 and even parred the par 4 that I probably average 6.5 on lifetime. Shot a 40 on the front. Was playing well on the back and then shanked a wedge. Next hole had a great tee shot on par 3 and parred the hole. Next hole I hooked my drive OB. Dropped and shanked the ball OB. Dropped and shanked the ball OB. Took my quad and went to the next hole. Then got back on track and played well again, even birdied the hole I own, #16. Got my lone ace on that hole back in 1984. Friday I hit one to about 15 feet and sunk the putt. Finished the back with a 42 even with the quad for a mostly smooth 82.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The way I hit that new driver yesterday you could not get the smile off my face. Sure the short game left me a couple times but to go 9 and have 3 pars while driving the green once is just fun for a duffer like me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
76 with a double and half a dozen missed putts inside ten feet. They are getting ready to host the county open this weekend and they were much faster than usual.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Getting to the green, for the most part, I've been doing pretty well the last few rounds. On the green however my game is absolutely atrocious. I shot a 94 the other day and had 40 putts. 22 on the front nine, 18 on the back. It's Dreadful, embarrassing, and makes shooting any kind of a decent score nearly impossible.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
No round this week, Lee Trevino weather⚡ for the next three days. I will try to get to the driving range on Friday and work on driver and 3H off the mat's tee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

I went to Club Champion a few years ago. And while I am happy with the irons and hybrids I bought, they definitely up sell you. You just trust what they tell you and I guess that is their business model. I still think club fitting has a role for us amateur golfers (if you are torn between two drivers you might as well look at the numbers), but it is really meant for golfers who have a consistent, repeatable swing. Which isn't most of us.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 pm 

My index has gone from 11.9 on June 21st to 8.1 today. Good news is I have mitigated some of the problems I was having this spring; bad news is I've lost 4 shots on my home course handicap. I need those net birdies to win some money!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Franky T wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I went to Club Champion a few years ago. And while I am happy with the irons and hybrids I bought, they definitely up sell you. You just trust what they tell you and I guess that is their business model. I still think club fitting has a role for us amateur golfers (if you are torn between two drivers you might as well look at the numbers), but it is really meant for golfers who have a consistent, repeatable swing. Which isn't most of us.

Their prices are indeed beyond outrageous, but, like you said, that's their business model. I did a full bag fitting once at the Ohio St. location. While it was cool to hit a number of head/shaft combinations, I'm pretty skeptical of the benefits of shaft puring and no way I'm buying irons and wedges at full boat prices without experiencing turf interaction. The SAM putter fitting was an eye-opener. Learned a lot about my stroke.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:58 pm 

Fun little experiment today. I found a Titleist Professional 90 in my bag and decided to play it. These were the ProV before there was a pro V. I made it 14 holes with it before dunking it in a pond. I managed not to scuff it up too bad. It was so interesting the distance difference. Drives were a good 20-25 yds shorter. Most irons were a club less and the wedges were not too noticeable. Really soft feel and fun to chip with. Amazing the things we take for granted these days with the ball.

Playing tomorrow and that will be round 50. I might get to 75 if I get lucky with the weather and get out at least three times a week.

Also got a good look at the new Mizuno 921 line. Great article on Golf Spy about them. If I were in the market I’d take a serious look. Just love my MP25s too much right now. First time in forever I like everything in my bag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:13 pm 

88 today Washington County from the Blue Tees. 3 Triples and 3 Doubles, but I did hole a shot for 3 on a Par 5
I was 81 yards out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hawg Ass wrote:
88 today Washington County from the Blue Tees. 3 Triples and 3 Doubles, but I did hole a shot for 3 on a Par 5
I was 81 yards out.

Was it the one with the water on the left and the little creek right in front of the green?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 am 

Played a muni down here today for the first time. I got paired with another guy and we were the second twosome off.. Foursomes behind us, we teed off five minutes early so we were never pressured. $27 to ride.

Course was a really nice older design along a river from a guy named Ellis Maples who studied under Donald Ross and built a lot of courses in NC and neighboring states. It poured last night so the fairways had no roll. Greens were dead with dozens of big divots and bare patches, unacceptable. I shot a 55 on the front but I was striking the ball much better off the tee. The soft grass was fucking up my approach shots. Between that, testing out a stronger grip adjustment, and playing off the regular tees on some holes because they had moved the senior tees up to the ladies tees in those holes, I was ok with it.

The other guy asked if he could play solo on the back 9 as he had an 11:30 appointment. I sent him on his way and played a few of the shorter par 4s on the back 9 and skipped the holes with forced carries. I played much better, three legit bogeys and a double. Best part was hitting a good 7 wood off the tee, first round breaking it out this year. On some of the other holes I hit three or four fairway shots to work on my grip.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Played the par 3 course in Grayslake last Thursday. This is a tough little course with water on 6 or 7 holes. I lost 4 balls and shot a 48. Greens were super fast and I just could not put anything together. It didn't help that there were three groups ahead of us that were SLOW as fuck. We'd wait on each tee for 5-10 minutes. I'll play it again, but not in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

Went to Cinder Ridge in Wilmington this morning. Tee boxes kinda beat up, but fairways and greens were in great shape. With the lack of rain, the rough is like straw but it was playable. $40 to ride during the week, $50 on weekends. Cool layout with some interesting elevation changes. A few weird tee shots with some doglegs, but overall an enjoyable round.

Put together a pretty solid round start to finish for the most part. 45-42 for an 87, which is one of the few times I have broken 90 over the last year or so. Lost three balls, but managed to bogey two of those holes and minimize the damage. Three 3 putts, but overall was better on the green. Lagged several 20-25 footers to tap in distance, and chips and pitches were on point. The highlight was nearly driving the green on #15, a short downhill par 4. Was about 10' short of the green, putted to about 4', then sank that for a birdie. As a twosome, my buddy and I finished in just about 3 hours. Great morning with glorious weather.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:07 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Went to Cinder Ridge in Wilmington this morning. Tee boxes kinda beat up, but fairways and greens were in great shape. With the lack of rain, the rough is like straw but it was playable. $40 to ride during the week, $50 on weekends. Cool layout with some interesting elevation changes. A few weird tee shots with some doglegs, but overall an enjoyable round.

Put together a pretty solid round start to finish for the most part. 45-42 for an 87, which is one of the few times I have broken 90 over the last year or so. Lost three balls, but managed to bogey two of those holes and minimize the damage. Three 3 putts, but overall was better on the green. Lagged several 20-25 footers to tap in distance, and chips and pitches were on point. The highlight was nearly driving the green on #15, a short downhill par 4. Was about 10' short of the green, putted to about 4', then sank that for a birdie. As a twosome, my buddy and I finished in just about 3 hours. Great morning with glorious weather.

The guy who created Cinder Ridge owned the RV park behind it. He came to the US on the same ship as my uncle, knocked around the city for a while in the 50s and 60s and got the hell out to the boonies and ended up in the RV site business. He loved golf and so he designed the course by himself based on holes he enjoyed either watching on TV or playing in person.

The course was always a bit of a dog track as the money for maintenance has never been there, but I played it a lot in the 2000-2010 time frame as it was easy to get on as a single even on a Saturday morning. It was $50 then and $50 now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

There are definitely areas of the course that could be improved, but I would not call it a dogtrack. The fairways and greens were in great shape overall.

That RV park looked....interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Last minute invite yesterday to the Green Oaks/Libertyville/Mundelein/Vernon Hills "GLMV" Chamber of Commerce outing at White Deer Run.

First time swinging a club this summer. Had a cart to myself. Surprisingly good turnout. Saw a few friends I hadn't seen in a while. People were respectful and wore masks after the golf. I ducked out after grabbing my burger.

I hit them better than expected...still bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

White Deer is a really pretty course. My PGA buddy Tim worked under Todd Sonnes there. How was the goose shit? Was is everywhere?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
There are definitely areas of the course that could be improved, but I would not call it a dogtrack. The fairways and greens were in great shape overall.

That RV park looked....interesting.

It's been a decade since I've been there. I thought the layout was good, the maintenance was limited. Hopefully it has improved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
doug - evergreen park wrote:
White Deer is a really pretty course. My PGA buddy Tim worked under Todd Sonnes there. How was the goose shit? Was is everywhere?

Incredibly, we only dealt with geese on one hole. No problem at all with goose turds.

Greens were fast as hell. Made it very tough to get a feel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 am 

88 Monday(was +5 on the 14th tee and totally collapsed),80 Wednesday and 74 yesterday, finally figured some things out with my irons on Wednesday and really worked yester6. Played a awesome course in Nashville called The Hermitage, and turned -2, shot 40 on the back. Played from the blue tees about 6450 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Played a short 9 hole muni dog track yesterday. Three par 3's and only about 2700 yards.

Impromptu 4:00 tee time here today. Got some beers on ice. I'll probably put up an 8 on the par 5 I eagled three weeks ago :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 am 

76 this morning with two 3 putts, a 4 putt and a lost ball. I put my regular putter in jail for the weekend and now I have to put it back in after that performance. I’ve been putting like shit the last month. I’d be posting up some stellar numbers if I could just use the flat stick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
T, I think yesterday they were saying that DJ brings ten different putters to each tourney and decides on one to use on Wednesday putting them all to the test on practice time. Thought that was an interesting approach.

Popov is tearing it up at the Women's Open here. She walks from hole to hole wearing oven mitts. That is also an interesting approach.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:40 am 

newper wrote:
T, I think yesterday they were saying that DJ brings ten different putters to each tourney and decides on one to use on Wednesday putting them all to the test on practice time. Thought that was an interesting approach.

Popov is tearing it up at the Women's Open here. She walks from hole to hole wearing oven mitts. That is also an interesting approach.

Yeah I have it down to two putters finally. I sold one to Franky and I took another one to my moms house a month ago and left it with my set I have at her place in Charlotte. I bought a refurbished Scotty Cameron Bullseye and that is the backup I was using. It works great in general for shorter putts but it is not weighted like a more modern putter so it takes some getting used to. I’m starting to think I don’t really have a good enough stroke for it but it’s fun to use once in a while. I’m just at a point where I have no confidence on any putts outside 2 feet. I probably just need to practice for an hour and get the stroke down. I have two other putters in the basement I could also try including my dads old Ping Anser from the early 70s but I have a hard time lining up putts with a stick that has an offset.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Maybe try the oven mitts and see if that helps. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next