It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yeah the old par 3 204 yards can bite me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:26 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Teeing it up at Pine Meadow tomorrow. One of my all time favorite tracks. Should be a fun day. Kicks off potentially 4 days of golf in a row if the weather behaves.

Have fun, i don't have a tee time currently this weekend and I am not sure how to feel about that. My first nothing weekend in about 3 months.

Made the turn at 37. Greens were like glass. Almost all sloped back to front. No three putts amazingly. I was +2 through 13 and then the wheels came off with a triple-bogey-double bogey. Limped in with an 81. Very frustrating to say the least but it happens. My second double my drive hit the cart path and bounced straight right and was lost. Weather was great and still love the layout. I played the gold which was just under 7000 yds so I would maybe move up a box to make it a bit more enjoyable but it wasn’t unfair by any means.

6,500 is about all I want to play anymore. getting old and loosing distance sucks.

6600 is generally where I look when playing a resort course or somewhere new. I play a 6700 and 7000 yd course on the regular. I still hit it plenty far to play those but the long par 3s are an annoyance.

6500 is all I want anymore, I just don't hit it far enough anymore to get any enjoyment out of playing a course I have no chance of reaching a Par 4.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
pittmike wrote:

That's usually a smooth 7W for Furious.

225 and over par 3s are no bueno.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:58 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That’s cool with the 7W. I don’t have it but read they are getting popular. At any rate it’s not good if the trajectory of a wood is low.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:04 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That’s cool with the 7W. I don’t have it but read they are getting popular. At any rate it’s not good if the trajectory of a wood is low.

With 21° loft, the trajectory should be anything but low. That's why I carry it.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I don’t like them more than 175. :shock: :?

Today’s played 190, 205, 217, 159.

The other course is usually 190, 215, 238, 190

Gets pretty old when you are Usually scrambling for a par on an “easier” short hole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I played at a course a couple of hours from my home today. It was a gorgeous day, only 81 for the high with minimal humidity. But, I now remember why I stopped playing years ago when I could only play on weekends.

Four hours and 45 fucking minutes. I was ready to watch a Hawk-LTG argument by the time I got to #14.

What's worse is that I was paired with a threesome, and the starter realized that they really didn't want a 4th. Because they were playing off the "men's" tees and I was playing off the 5700 yard senior tees (there was a teebox in the middle as well), the starter took pity on me and had me go out solo. Which was nice of him, but it meant that my day was "wait ten minutes, hit a tee shot, wait five minutes, hit an approach to about 70 yards, wait five m and minutes and then finish the hole, and repeat." Nowhere to go. Too many 14 hcp types playing the long tees, and a couple of groups with two husbands and two wives.

No rhythm and it was a tough course (slope 120 off the senior tees), and I kept picking my head up. Greens were punched six weeks ago and were really slow, to the point that putting against the grain completely blew up any breaks. The rough was deep as there was minimal water and the bunkers were mostly inoffensive. The other problem was that the tee boxes were like cement.

Given all off that, I was very happy with 54-55=109. I was shitty off the tee with driver but not horrific with 3H or 4 or 5 iron. I got to practice with most of the bag, conceding a few bad shots in the name of practice. I didn't feel weak physically until the last two holes, and my distance is up to about 70% of ten years ago. It was a very hilly course with a lot of raised greens, my fitness tracker clocked me in at 12 flights of stairs and I handled it well except for one bullshit bunker.

No round this Tuesday due to the holiday and all my typical Monday meetings moved to Tuesday. But hopefully three rounds the following week as I take some time off from work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:00 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:

With 21° loft, the trajectory should be anything but low. That's why I carry it.

I have the other problem with it off the tee, I tend to pop it up too much, then tee it lower and toe it! Thus the 19 degree 3H now in my bag as well. But even I used to be able to get 165 with a 7w off the tee.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I don’t like them more than 175. :shock: :?

Today’s played 190, 205, 217, 159.

The other course is usually 190, 215, 238, 190

Gets pretty old when you are Usually scrambling for a par on an “easier” short hole

It drives me crazy when courses handicap the par 3s as the four easiest. My home course has them somewhat properly rated. They play 165 with a creek to cover (small green with bunkers left and right) as the 9 handicap hole, 175 (again with a small green with bunkers left and right) as the 15, 205 well bunkered as the 16, and 165 over the river as the 10. They all play into the prevailing wind and are the defense of the course.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:57 pm 

The truth hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:08 am 

68 would still be a massacre.

Olympia Fields normally plays 75.9/146 off the tips. For the BMW, it had to be playing at a 160 slope. I watched the featured holes coverage on 13 and 16 for the Sunday round, and of 69 guys the closest on 16 got to 8 feet, and only half the field got within 20 feet.

Your typical 12 would take a 5 on that every time, especially since they'd probably need two more clubs off the tee.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
68 strokes and he'd still win by 20.

Most players have never sniffed the course conditions these guys play.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:48 pm 

Shot a Jackie Robinson nine today 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:48 am 

Made the turn -1 with a clean card. Got through 13 at -2 with still no bogies. Then I pushed a drive into the water. Still -1 going into 18 with a par four I can almost drive the green on. Big dogleg left and a huge pond covering the entire left. It’s 250 to clear the water on a safe line. Pulled it a bit and dunked another one. :eye: managed to bogey for 72. So damn close. Just not in my DNA to play for par on a birdie hole.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Played Countryside in Mundelein on Monday. Nothing was working. 13 strokes over the last time I played there. Had one 4, so it was pretty fucking awful. I'm running out of time to break 100 this season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Played Countryside in Mundelein on Monday. Nothing was working. 13 strokes over the last time I played there. Had one 4, so it was pretty fucking awful. I'm running out of time to break 100 this season.

Prairie or original course? Was it in nice shape? Been a couple years since I’ve been out there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Made the turn -1 with a clean card. Got through 13 at -2 with still no bogies. Then I pushed a drive into the water. Still -1 going into 18 with a par four I can almost drive the green on. Big dogleg left and a huge pond covering the entire left. It’s 250 to clear the water on a safe line. Pulled it a bit and dunked another one. :eye: managed to bogey for 72. So damn close. Just not in my DNA to play for par on a birdie hole.

Disappointing finish, but great round!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Prairie course. It's in good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I'll have to sneak out to Steeplechase before season ends.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Played Sunday for the first time in a month. Makray Memorial in Barrington with a few of my Gold medal brothers. Course was very wet with lots of standing water. Amazingly, the greens were running faster than any greens I've seen in Chicago in years. Some pins were downright unfair with any balls above the hole resulting in putts that went off the green if they didn't hit the pin. Even with that it didn't bother us as it was fun to putt on some really fast greens.

I struggled at the start as that course is very difficult and I'm pretty much already in season over mode. Shot a 46 on the front. Played much better on the back with an 42 for an 88 that I'll take all day out there in those conditions. We were losing balls in the fairway because they plugged 2 inches underground.

I did roll in a 40 foot putt on 17 which was pretty funny cause I did it with my wedge leaning against my leg cause I didn't want to have to bend all the way to the ground to pick it up.

Cart path only was rough on my buddy who had a gout flare up and could barely walk. Guy is on one foot and also coming off a hip replacement this year as well as a knee surgery and he's even par through 7.

I think that officially concludes my season. Not much of a season at that. Only played 9 rounds, but did pretty good. 80,96,84,83,82,82,86,82,88. only one round in the 90s and that was at Thunderhawk with some friends where it's always a total screw around round. I've fully accepted and adapted to total old man golf. I can get my driver out there about 220-230 with a nice draw, but my next furthest club in my bag is my 3 hybrid and that goes about 170-180 at most. I was 11/14 with the driver on Sunday and as long as I do that and play from the old man tees I can put up a decent score. I hit every club pretty straight.

I was hoping to get a lesson this year, but it never happened. Next year if it's normal I'll get a lesson and see if we can figure out a way to lengthen my swing and get some more distance from my hybrids.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 pm 

Weird round today. I drove up to Virginia Beach on my way further north for some vacation and it was cloudy but a perfect 73 degrees. I played a typical 80s residential community course. Nothing fancy, narrow in places, some good grass bunkering along some of the rough that cost you half a shot if you landed in it. (One hole I had to hit 7w from thick rough because the sidehill lie was so severe my only other club long enough was driver. Greens were mostly but not completely fast which was annoying if you didn't know where to hold up. Senior tee box as always.

I ham and egged it for much of the round and somehow ended up with 53-48. One good shot, two crappy shots but at least the ball advanced. On the back 9 I got back into "old guy from the 1980s" mode and just focused on advancing 110 yards on most shots, and finally started hitting better (not great, better) off the tee. Four bogeys and a par 3 on the back 9, in a row.

I hit my best shot of the year today. My lob wedge (a 20 year old Alien with the crazy weighted head) was perfect for their second cut of rough around the raised greens. Hit four or five good high floppy ones but was having trouble with judging distance because I was hitting knucklers. Finally on 16 I nailed one from 55 yards in the second cut that stopped on the lip of the cup for a tap in bogey. For you guys who shoot 72-82, that's not much, but for me it was validation of this whole summer of play.

I'm hopefully going to play again on Thursday if it doesn't rain where I am headed up the coast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Put up a smooth 104 yesterday at Silver Lake, and that was with six one putts to "save" bogey and worse. Tee to green was just dreadful. I did not hit a single fairway, and the only GIR and par of the day came on the 18th. I think I had five 7's and four doubles otherwise. Around and on the green was perhaps my best performance of the year through the first 13 or 14 holes. Pretty brutal and downright embarrassing yesterday.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:58 am 

Range/practice area today at Mt. Prospect. Need to figure a few things out. Playing Bartlett Hills on Sunday with a childhood friend that I haven't golfed with in quite some time.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 pm 

Tremendous range session. Figured out the hands weren't staying connected and I was getting too wristy with longer clubs. Wedges and 4 hybrid were SOLID, but the putter was point-and-shoot. Why I bother looking at other putters is beyond me, but hopefully a thing of the past.

Ready to take on Hawger.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:56 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Tremendous range session. Figured out the hands weren't staying connected and I was getting too wristy with longer clubs. Wedges and 4 hybrid were SOLID, but the putter was point-and-shoot. Why I bother looking at other putters is beyond me, but hopefully a thing of the past.

Ready to take on Hawger.

Hawger is not ready to take on the Furious, haven't touched a club in about 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm 

Got out this morning. Going to be like fall golf this weekend and then nicer next week. I’ll be going Saturday and Sunday and then enjoying the US Open in the afternoons. On pace to hit my goal for rounds for the season as of now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Ready to take on Hawger.

Hawger is not ready to take on the Furious, haven't touched a club in about 3 weeks.

Why do you think I was being so boastful?

Plus, I would get you stoned to the bejeezus.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:10 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Ready to take on Hawger.

SHENANIGANS!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:11 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Ready to take on Hawger.

I’d be up for a round with you guys. No smoking for me though. That just means more for you. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 pm 

That's going to require some effort. I think it's been 7 years since I played w/ Hawg.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next