It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:20 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
interesting insight, and I think he is right.

https://nesn.com/2020/11/why-colin-cowh ... FNwxI1P7Fs

Tom Brady defined the most dominant era ever for Boston sports, winning six Super Bowl titles with the New England Patriots and cementing himself as the greatest quarterback in NFL history.

Still, according to Colin Cowherd, there was a distinct difference between Brady and the region where he enjoyed unprecedented success, and it’s becoming more evident as the 43-year-old QB navigates his first season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“In New England, we thought he was stoic and part of the system. In Tampa, he’s taking these unnecessary risks,” Cowherd said Thursday on FS1. “Or is he? Or is this who Tom Brady’s always been? He was just conforming to New England? California dude, this is who he is. He’s a risk taker.

“Derek Jeter always felt like New York: the good-looking single guy for all those years. He felt like a Yankee. Troy Aikman has always felt like a Dallas Cowboy to me. Big Ben (Roethlisberger) has always felt like a Steeler. Tom Brady’s never felt like Boston. He just conformed.”

Brady, who grew up in California before attending college at the University of Michigan, joined the Patriots as a sixth-round draft pick in 2000. He took over as New England’s starting quarterback in 2001 after Drew Bledsoe went down with an injury. The rest, of course, is history.

Boston embraced Brady, a fiery competitor who helped make the Patriots a perennial championship contender, and vice versa. The marriage lasted two blissful decades. But sometimes, you just need a change. Maybe the divorce was inevitable, and perhaps we’re now seeing the Brady we would’ve seen had he been drafted by a different organization and not played under Bill Belichick for 20 years.

“Tom Brady is aspirational. He married a supermodel. He’s creating a global brand. He has houses in Costa Rica, Montana. Tom’s always been about growth and evolving. That’s not Boston,” Cowherd said. “Boston is you work hard, make a decent living, you buy a summer home on the Cape or maybe Maine, and that’s about as far as you leave, an occasional vacation down to Florida. That’s what Boston is. They stay there forever.

“Tom Brady is fun and happy. Boston is cranky and intense. Look at Tom Brady’s lifestyle brand — does it say Boston? No drinking, avocado ice cream, lots of yoga. That does not say Boston. It says California where Tom has multiple homes. It says west. Tom Brady was never Boston.”

Cowherd believes Belichick, on the other hand, is very much a Boston-type guy. It’d be interesting, then, to see how Belichick would adjust to coaching in California or somewhere a little more laid-back.

“I don’t buy that Tom has changed. I keep hearing that,” Cowherd said. “I think that this is closer to who he is: fun, adapting, evolving, thinking big, taking big risks, California thinker, always evolving, trying new stuff.

“That is the opposite of Boston, and it’s absolutely what I think Brady is.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I like it when people hammer Boston.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Colin “marriage metaphors” cowherd.

He’s terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:52 pm 

I'm sure the same is true for Larry Bird for opposite reasons.

Imagine how hateable a superstar who acts like someone from Boston would be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:36 pm 

Boston ignored the Patriots for decades, their best coaches made their bones in New York and the area had no football tradition at any level. And their biggest fans were women enamored with Brady.

And they've always been the New England Patriots, playing closer to Providence Rhode Island than Boston.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
fake news

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Regular Reader wrote:
And they've always been the New England Patriots, playing closer to Providence Rhode Island than Boston.

Not true, they started as the Boston Patriots, bouncing around between Fenway, Harvard, and whoever else would have them. They slapped up that dump in Foxboro because it was the only place their loser franchise could get cheap land. All true about being the distant fourth, though. I wish it were still true.

I think it's actually perfectly equidistant between Boston and Providence, actually, though one city obviously has more gravitational pull than the other. It's like Zion being closer to Milwaukee than Chicago but not in spirit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I agree with slamming Boston at every opportunity, but Cowherd still remains an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Waiting for CH to do his parody column featuring a North Carolina boy who found success in Chicago, which by reports, is completely different from North Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am 

When I think of a guy looking for fun, I think of Tom Brady.

Stupid article.

It would be fun to determine an athelete who "feels like Tampa"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:

Stupid article.

John Rocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
:lol:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Stupid article.

John Rocker

:lol: I was going to say John Daly, but Rocker works.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
That's interesting, because Cowherd has never felt intelligent nor interesting.