It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PFF Rankings
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Just the dumbest shit.

They just showed the honey badger as the 67th best safety, and he intercepts a pass on the next play.

Enough.

Post subject: Re: PFF Rankings
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:34 pm 

Agreed. Absofuckinguseless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:43 am 

It's all part of the strange trend in sports the last 10 or so years where you can call something "advanced analytics" and then it's assumed they are correct without any sort of justification of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Their QB expert is an Irishman who never played football. With all the former college and pro quarterbacks out there looking for something to do they hired a guy living in Ireland who might have never held a football in his life.

A Philadelphia radio host had a PFF editor on and took exception to the grades they were handing out. He told the guy he'd fly out to where their grader was to watch film with him or he'd pay to fly him in to Philadelphia. The editor said that wouldn't be possible because the grader lived in Bangladesh. That sounds like they've got some kind of sweatshop operation going on out there.

The entire concept is ridiculous because it takes at least 10 hours to do a good film grade so they need someone for each team. So they have at least 32 people with different backgrounds grading this film then they put the results together. The only way it could work is if it was the same person grading everyone. It wouldn't be correct but then at least you could compare. These beat guys that cite PFF non-stop seem to think they have a supercomputer and they just enter the film and it spits out a result.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:18 pm 

been saying this for years

They aren't really stats, just as most baseball defensive stats aren't stats. There is far too much subjectivity in the inputs for them to be stats.