It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
They get a $1 million match from a donor for hitting $14 million by midnight. They're going to do it over 6 hours before the deadline.

Dozens upon dozens of businesses saved and hundreds if not thousands of jobs saved. The way they are doing this with the payments to businesses recurring monthly until Covid ends is genius.

Yeah but do you have any specific but easy resolutions I can claim I didn't give up on instantly?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:10 am 

Wow. 12 people!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
Wow. 12 people!

I think you forgot to count the bartender.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The Barstool face turn has to be the biggest story of late 2020/early 2021.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
The Barstool face turn has to be the biggest story of late 2020/early 2021.

Probably.

Pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 am 

Go Pres Go

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:39 am 

Today Show had a good segment on the Barstool Fund

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Aaron Rodgers is showing his charitable side by throwing $500,000 to the Barstool Fund, a non-profit organization helping small businesses struggling in the pandemic.

Barstool President Dave Portnoy hosted the Green Bay Packers’ quarterback on an Instagram live Friday not knowing what Rodgers wanted to discuss. But shortly into the conversation, Rodgers made his intentions known by matching Portnoy’s gift to the fund, CNN reports.

“I’ve been following you for a while, and I love the brand and what you guys have done. But this far exceeds anything you have ever done,” Rodgers said. “I just want to get involved. The videos everyday are so inspiring. I’m in. I want to be in the same amount you put in, $500,000.”

The Barstool Fund has raised more than $21 million to help small businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and shares videos of recipients on social media. Several celebrities have given money already, according to CNN.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
‘No good deed’, as always…

If you have even a passing familiarity with the website Barstool Sports you probably are aware of the man behind the popular website, Dave Portnoy. While the site may trend too close to close to a frathouse mystique for some, Portnoy has at least made himself likable with a willingness to stand up to politically correct attempts at canceling him. He has not only shrugged off charges of insensitivity and sexism, he fights back.

One other reason to applaud him is that currently he has taken another stand. In this miasma of government over-control restaurants and bars are struggling mightily. Portnoy has started a fundraising effort to help out these businesses, called the Barstool Fund. Initially begun as a $500,000 venture it has swelled in popularity to now over $20 million and is still going. Portnoy has seen fit that dozens of businesses across the country have been receiving assistance to stay open and to pay employees.

One such eatery getting help was The Tadich Grille, a 170-year-old fixture in the Bay Area. You would be correct to say it is a great story that an institution like this is being helped — you also would not be working at the San Francisco Chronicle. When it became known that the historic eatery was receiving assistance from Barstool much had to be made of the controversies involving Portnoy over the years.

Follow along here. The Chronicle linked to a Daily Beast article that is well over two years old, it it details events with ESPN canceling a show with Barstool that happened a year prior to that, over comments that had been made three years earlier than that. So ultimately what were 6-year-old controversies, which had long been dealt with and moved past, now needed to be dredged up in the Chronicle piece detailing the great work in aiding a failing family business.

The family members behind the restaurant were compelled to comment on Portnoy’s past. ‘’(The owner) said the family was not aware of Portnoy’s history of making racist and misogynistic remarks or the accusations of sexual harassment against him. Wherever in his heart he had the ability to make a meaningful difference for small businesses, he’s doing that, and for that we’re grateful.’’

This is the mindset of many in our press pool these days. The Chronicle has to lash out, has to bring up wholly unrelated controversies, in a story concerning the needed help of a local business. Of course, going unsaid was The Chronicle supporting the lockdown orders that Portnoy is helping to combat. Even though the paper has recently recognized that the forced closures are leading to, as it reports, ‘’a restaurant apocalypse’’, it still felt the need to tear down the source delivering some needed relief and good news.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 am 

This is pretty cool. They seem to be contributing too so it isn't a publicity stunt like when a grocery stores asks me if I want to "Round up to donate to Toys For Tots" and then they take my money and use it as their donation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am 

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread on the message board.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm 

BigCat and PFT getting their twitter followers to mass vote for Mitch as NVP last night was one of the few highlights during a miserable game

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
The horror of Mitch winning a fake award! Oh my!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
BigCat and PFT getting their twitter followers to mass vote for Mitch as NVP last night was one of the few highlights during a miserable game

:lol: :lol:

THAT IS AWESOME

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Tadich makes the Berghoff look like a startup.

Is the Chronicle going to photograph every customer and try to cancel them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 am 

Billy is going to be quicker, but damn Canseco probably packs more in his punch had has a greater reach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
About a decade ago we saw Canseco playing a sit n go ten person Hold Em tournament at the Mirage. The buy ins are normally $60, so I thought it was quite a fall. You would expect a guy like that to be playing at the Bellagio or Venetian where the real action takes place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Billy is going to be quicker, but damn Canseco probably packs more in his punch had has a greater reach

There’s a non-zero chance billy football gets seriously injured here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
denisdman wrote:
About a decade ago we saw Canseco playing a sit n go ten person Hold Em tournament at the Mirage. The buy ins are normally $60, so I thought it was quite a fall. You would expect a guy like that to be playing at the Bellagio or Venetian where the real action takes place.

we played against him in a coed softball tournament in st louis. hitting lazer beams at girl 3rd basemen and and bat flipping after hitting balls onto the infields of other fields.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Cramer talking about Barstool/Penn right now on CNBC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Among the reasons I bought the fight. :lol:

I like Billy, but I think he might have bit off more than he can chew here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am 

denisdman wrote:
Cramer talking about Barstool/Penn right now on CNBC.

NY State moving to fast track legalization of mobile sports betting is going to be be a boon for them. I don't think anyone is better positioned in that market day 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

When this popped up again a few weeks ago, he seemed way too convinced his only disadvantage was size. He’s an idiot but I assumed it was a bit.

I know Canseco’s old, but he was a legitimate top tier professional athlete who’s been mainlining PEDs for decades.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:11 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

When this popped up again a few weeks ago, he seemed way too convinced his only disadvantage was size. He’s an idiot but I assumed it was a bit.

I know Canseco’s old, but he was a legitimate top tier professional athlete who’s been mainlining PEDs for decades.

I'd say Barstool probably shouldn't get an intern killed, but then again Billy is the one who pushed for this and wanted this so it's sort of on him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:08 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'd say Barstool probably shouldn't get an intern killed, but then again Billy is the one who pushed for this and wanted this so it's sort of on him.

I’d put it squarely on Big Cat. I’m anticipating some type of flurry to start and then Big Cat throws in the towel before Billy actually gets hit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I’d put it squarely on Big Cat. I’m anticipating some type of flurry to start and then Big Cat throws in the towel before Billy actually gets hit.

I really hope they try to arrange an Ozzie vs Canseco fight. I mean my brain says Canseco wins that, but Ozzie is crazy and probably has a shit ton of aggression to let out.

Ozzie has the TWTW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next