It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
denisdman wrote:
I don’t care about their merch. The ads are annoying, but as a free market guy, have at it. Something’s gotta pay the bills.

luckily 30 second skip works wonders on the podcasts

agree with you that the "expert" just sounded like a loon. he was proud of his don gibson pitching to little leaguers analogy since he used it 4 times during his rambling responses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:52 pm 

good story on how Kurt Warner the HoFer lucked out and didnt become a bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
billypootons wrote:
denisdman wrote:
I don’t care about their merch. The ads are annoying, but as a free market guy, have at it. Something’s gotta pay the bills.

luckily 30 second skip works wonders on the podcasts

agree with you that the "expert" just sounded like a loon. he was proud of his don gibson pitching to little leaguers analogy since he used it 4 times during his rambling responses.

Hah yeah that too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:

The merch is essential if you're going to be a Barstool and be comfortable with the type of controversy that makes ad buyers skittish.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
PMT interview with Canseco was fantastic. Billy looking like a guy on his way to a severe concussion...

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:12 pm 

Jose Canseco is still a little b*tch but damn that Shizzat KO in an earlier fight.

Shizzat put him to sleep before hit hit the canvas. He was out for several minutes, he probably still doesn't know what day it is

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Canseco's dive last night was worse than Liston in Lewistown.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The merch is essential if you're going to be a Barstool and be comfortable with the type of controversy that makes ad buyers skittish.

Just received an email that this has shipped. I’ll make sure to wear it anytime I’m visiting CVS in Aurora

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Sir, this is what we on the internet call an Epic Win. I doff my cap to you my fine gentleman.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:44 am 

Does this count as a snuff film? Need to know before JLN starts a thread calling for my banning

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:03 pm 

"worst days of the year" snake draft on The Dog Walk today

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... agodogwalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:58 pm 

The Burrata Gang vs Red Ed rivalry is becoming a favorite of mine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm 

Portnoy playing blackjack live on the podcast at $5,000 per hand was moderately entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:05 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Portnoy playing blackjack live on the podcast at $5,000 per hand was moderately entertaining.

I don't think he won a single hand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:06 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I don't think he won a single hand.

I thought he won the first one. Eddie has the perfect style for interviewing Dave. The show is quite silly, but I absolutely love it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am 

Good Dave Portnoy Show this week

https://youtu.be/p0_ZSbfmqXc

Also, Red Ed is at it again with his dictatorial rule of the DogWalk draft leaving WSD off of the poll once again despite arguably having the strongest draft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:52 pm 

It’s not a matter of them inventing it, and they are not claiming patent protection. It is a trademark. People use generic language and symbols for trademarks all the time. Given that they are in the same business, there may be a legal issue if Barstool violates it. But I do not see how Tweeting that out would cause the type of brand confusion required to be a trademark violation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm 

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/12/20/barstool-sports-portnoy-sue-nfl-copyright-infringement-saturdays-for-the-boys/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm 

How was dave vs the robinhood ceo tonight?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 pm 

Just listened to it. Both guys were very calm. I think Vlad explained it as best he could, and Dave just did not agree with the responses. I think Dave’s solution of freezing the stock is not feasible. The exchanges do that, not individual firms. If Robinhood froze all trading, then customers could not have sold. Unless all firms froze trading, Robinhood customers would have been stuck watching the stock fall with no way out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 am 

denisdman wrote:
Just listened to it. Both guys were very calm. I think Vlad explained it as best he could, and Dave just did not agree with the responses. I think Dave’s solution of freezing the stock is not feasible. The exchanges do that, not individual firms. If Robinhood froze all trading, then customers could not have sold. Unless all firms froze trading, Robinhood customers would have been stuck watching the stock fall with no way out.

so who all of a sudden jacked the collateral requirements that forced RH to halt buying? i assume that action was done knowing full well that RH and the other shops that reddit retail investors use didnt have the liquidity to cover the requirements? that part of the story i havent read much about yet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
billypootons wrote:
denisdman wrote:

so who all of a sudden jacked the collateral requirements that forced RH to halt buying? i assume that action was done knowing full well that RH and the other shops that reddit retail investors use didnt have the liquidity to cover the requirements? that part of the story i havent read much about yet

It was DTCC, but the fact that gets glossed over is that the only reason the collateral requirements got jacked is because of customers who were buying on margin (or, to a lesser extent, short selling, but I don't think that's a big part of RH's clientele). For a customer who wanted to buy GameStop and had the funds in his account to pay for the stock fully, there was ZERO risk to RH and they should not have prevented the customer from doing so. RH should admit that they put restrictions on their responsible customers because of the reckless actions of their other customers as well as not having enough cushion as a broker to pay for spikes in the collateral requirements. In fact, RH was able to get DTCC to lower the requirement from $3b to $1.3b simply by promising to halt any new buy orders in GME. They can claim that prevented a meltdown, but it was their own fault.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:44 am 

It was a one in 3.5 million event according to Vlad in their risk models. Aside from things like the flash crash, I cannot recall anything like it in an actual stock. Even the dot com laddering bubble was not that crazy.

Regardless of whether people like it or not, financial institutions do not have unlimited excess capital. They use value at risk models to hold a cushion, and they typically hold three deviations or more from the mean. The problem is that black swan, fat tail events like this happen more often than any model can predict.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am 

denisdman wrote:
It was a one in 3.5 million event according to Vlad in their risk models. Aside from things like the flash crash, I cannot recall anything like it in an actual stock. Even the dot com laddering bubble was not that crazy.

Regardless of whether people like it or not, financial institutions do not have unlimited excess capital. They use value at risk models to hold a cushion, and they typically hold three deviations or more from the mean. The problem is that black swan, fat tail events like this happen more often than any model can predict.

But there is no risk at all for letting users who already have money in their account from purchasing a stock. Add in the fact that they didn't stop all buying of all stocks. They targeted specific stocks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 am 

denisdman wrote:
financial institutions do not have unlimited excess capital.

The funny thing is that Citadel, which had just injected a couple billion into Melvin and now had a large stake in that company, could easily have kicked in a billion or three to RH for them to meet their DTCC calls, but despite already being a partner with RH (payment for order flow representing 40%+ of RH's revenue), they knew if they did that, Melvin was toast. So Griffin let RH twist in the wind and told Vlad to make DTCC the scapegoat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am 

Jaw, two things regarding Citadel?

1) Would the SEC and anti trust regulators have let them take a material stake in Robinhood?
2) How would Robinhood’s competitors that also use Citadel have reacted to such a strategic investment?

They raised $1B in a night. I think the Citadel thing would have slowed that down. And Citadel raked the hedge fund over the coals for that capital. Robinhood would not have wanted that big of a dilution for such a temporary liquidity issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 am 

denisdman wrote:
Jaw, two things regarding Citadel?

1) Would the SEC and anti trust regulators have let them take a material stake in Robinhood?
2) How would Robinhood’s competitors that also use Citadel have reacted to such a strategic investment?

They raised $1B in a night. I think the Citadel thing would have slowed that down. And Citadel raked the hedge fund over the coals for that capital. Robinhood would not have wanted that big of a dilution for such a temporary liquidity issue.

Good questions...but I think it's wrong that RH took the easier way out in limiting purchases (even to customers who had plenty of funds to buy), rather than seek funding to pay the full collateral call that was due.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:45 am 

Big strategic mistake for sure given all the blowback. But that level of capital getting raised in a hurry has a huge dilutive cost. Plus, what if the market kept exploding for another week, exponential as Vlad explained on the Portnoy interview? You cannot model the potential capital needs.

How much do they raise?

It is an interesting situation. And lots of layers to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 36  Next