It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm back! Got medical clearance to resume exercising today. First workout back felt pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I may not be super fit yet, but at least my feet look good. Saw these at REI...super comfy.

Even kinda Bears colored.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/produc ... 0VEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 am 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
I may not be super fit yet, but at least my feet look good. Saw these at REI...super comfy.

Have you worn Hokas in the past? How do they compare?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
My wife and daughter like those ON shoes....only complaint is that the laces come undone way too easy. They're different and look good.
I'm too heavy and pretty much swear by Hokka clifton. 20 lbs less then I'm all about the Brooks Ghost.

I did my first outdoor run of the year today. yay me....4 miles of very very slow

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
My wife and daughter like those ON shoes....only complaint is that the laces come undone way too easy. They're different and look good.
I'm too heavy and pretty much swear by Hokka clifton. 20 lbs less then I'm all about the Brooks Ghost.

I did my first outdoor run of the year today. yay me....4 miles of very very slow

Four miles...nice!

I am trying to make up for time I lost while sidelined for health reasons.

Being able to run four miles is like a dream to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:58 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Four miles...nice!

My pace was 13:04, so it wasn't four miles of running.....I need 2 weeks ramp-up to get to 4 miles straight.

Someone we know (wife of someone's co-worker) has been "marathon training" for a few months now. Of course she posts all of her shit on Facebook. While I salute the effort, she's on a treadmill with 0 incline....there is zero chance she's gonna finish a marathon on pavement training on a treadmill. Will Not happen.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

No. But a friend is going to compare the two later this week. He's a Hoka fanatic. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
BigW72 wrote:

Someone we know (wife of someone's co-worker) has been "marathon training" for a few months now. Of course she posts all of her shit on Facebook. While I salute the effort, she's on a treadmill with 0 incline....there is zero chance she's gonna finish a marathon on pavement training on a treadmill. Will Not happen.

Yeah, because with all that repetition she will likely injure herself before she gets to the starting line.

What is her longest 'run' to date? I would kill myself before I would run 20 miles on a treadmill. (One runs one or more 20-miler as part of marathon training)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:46 pm 

a retard wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Yeah, because with all that repetition she will likely injure herself before she gets to the starting line.

What is her longest 'run' to date? I would kill myself before I would run 20 miles on a treadmill. (One runs one or more 20-miler as part of marathon training)

Longest to date was 9 miles :lol:
I could get up to 5 miles on treadmill during winter months, but no longer. 5 miles of that was more than enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
a retard wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Longest to date was 9 miles :lol:
I could get up to 5 miles on treadmill during winter months, but no longer. 5 miles of that was more than enough.

Yeah, I could never do more than 5-6 miles on a treadmill. That's why I started getting into HIIT a few times a week. I found it a fun way to break up the monotony of longer treadmill runs. I hope to return to doing the high-intensity stuff in the next month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
My treadmill max is 5 miles and I only will do that on a cruise ship if there are no other running options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm 

4 miles outdoors Saturday and Sunday. It was still nice this morning, but the knees said it's an eliptical day. Pace up to 11:21....getting there.

Hoping the rain holds off tomorrow morning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I gave up cigars and blunts with Douchebag's classmates. No cigars means that I drink a lot less whiskey. Apparently that helps. I ran 12 miles.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Intense 40 miles this morning.

Some guy got behind me on Central north of Elston and south of Devon. I was riding my balls off to stay in front of him but he was right on me all the way. I could see his shadow over my left shoulder. We were really winging, about 18-19 mph. I thought he might try to pass me on the Oakton bridge but I got up and over it really quick. At Beckwith he blew through the stop sign and went past me. Now I was stalking him. He was on a Cavalo Carbon. It's a relatively cheap road bike, but definitely a lot lighter than mine. I sat right off his back tire all the way up to Willow Road. He cut his pace way down as if he wanted me to pass so I obliged. I rode the lead up to Tower Road with him right on my ass. We hit a long straightaway approaching Dundee and I let him go. A month from now I'd be disappointed in myself, but for today, this was a strong ride. I'm definitely getting tight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Your accounts of your rides are so fraught with tension that I inevitably assume they will conclude with some kind of physical confrontation. I'm looking forward to hearing how you beat a guy senseless with your water bottle later this summer!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Intense 40 miles this morning.

Some guy got behind me on Central north of Elston and south of Devon. I was riding my balls off to stay in front of him but he was right on me all the way. I could see his shadow over my left shoulder. We were really winging, about 18-19 mph. I thought he might try to pass me on the Oakton bridge but I got up and over it really quick.

got to be careful over there by caldwell woods - especially in the am. lots of people leave 5-10 minutes late for work and figure they'll make it up by racing to work.

a woman; who was known in the neighborhood for being a 'militant' jogger - got run over and killed on devon a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

What is a militant jogger?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Your accounts of your rides are so fraught with tension that I inevitably assume they will conclude with some kind of physical confrontation. I'm looking forward to hearing how you beat a guy senseless with your water bottle later this summer!

:lol: I don't think there was any animosity between the two of us. Certainly not on my part. I was glad the guy kept me focused. I would have been dogging it without him. It was funny though. We stopped at the light together at Touhy and then again at Golf and we didn't speak either time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
What is a militant jogger?

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160825/norwood-park/drivers-had-warned-each-other-about-jogger-killed-by-car-for-years/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol: I don't think there was any animosity between the two of us. Certainly not on my part. I was glad the guy kept me focused. I would have been dogging it without him. It was funny though. We stopped at the light together at Touhy and then again at Golf and we didn't speak either time.

Lie. Why are you so competitive on you rides? You want nobody to pass you and you like being #1 on some app or new fangled thing you kids use. You could give a shit almost any aspect otherwise...unless you upstage at the club but I can't see that. You don't give a shit most any other time but you try hard to out ride people.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Lie. Why are you so competitive on you rides? You want nobody to pass you and you like being #1 on some app or new fangled thing you kids use. You could give a shit almost any aspect otherwise...unless you upstage at the club but I can't see that. You don't give a shit most any other time but you try hard to out ride people.

Yeah, I do, but I don't have a personal grudge against the other riders. Any physical activity, I'm going to be competitive. I think it's weird not to be.

A friend of mine, her kid is 6'9" and he looks like a Greek God. He isn't the most athletic guy, but he isn't uncoordinated either. He was a ten time varsity letterman in three sports in high school. But my friend was telling me how frustrated she was watching him play because he just doesn't have a real killer edge to him. This friend of mine, she's competitive as hell. She told me she wished she could put her competitive spirit inside her kid's body for a game and he'd be throwing dunks down like crazy. But that's just not him. My friend is the youngest of six kids. Growing up in her house was like living among a pack of wolves. Her son is an only child. He's like a pampered poodle.

My sister and I are 18 months apart. We competed at everything. That may have something to do with it. I don't know. I just know I don't want a motherfucker to pass me. And I can't stop all of them, but I can make them work to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I do, but I don't have a personal grudge against the other riders. Any physical activity, I'm going to be competitive. I think it's weird not to be.

A friend of mine, her kid is 6'9" and he looks like a Greek God. He isn't the most athletic guy, but he isn't uncoordinated either. He was a ten time varsity letterman in three sports in high school. But my friend was telling me how frustrated she was watching him play because he just doesn't have a real killer edge to him. This friend of mine, she's competitive as hell. She told me she wished she could put her competitive spirit inside her kid's body for a game and he'd be throwing dunks down like crazy. But that's just not him. My friend is the youngest of six kids. Growing up in her house was like living among a pack of wolves. Her son is an only child. He's like a pampered poodle.

My sister and I are 18 months apart. We competed at everything. That may have something to do with it. I don't know. I just know I don't want a motherfucker to pass me. And I can't stop all of them, but I can make them work to do it.

There is nature to people. I am an only child and I can be competitive. My parents both come from big families, one is loved one is a bit resented. Nature vs nurture and nature wins every time. My kids were raised same way same resources and they could not be more different.

You have a biking issue and you seem to do it for enjoyment/rec purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
You have a biking issue and you seem to do it for enjoyment/rec purposes.

I do it to stay in reasonable shape. It can be enjoyable but a lot of the time it's not. It certainly isn't when I'm slogging 17 miles in 20 degree weather. Today was pretty enjoyable though.

For me, the key is state of mind. If I'm already thinking about finishing when I'm only a couple miles in, it's going to be a long ride. Concentrating on that guy's rear tire for 12 miles made it go by fast. Sometimes it's difficult to think about anything but the ride itself and that's when it's tough. If I start thinking about other stuff or I'm just enjoying being in the woods, it gets real easy. But I can't always get my head there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 am 

Nobody beats your schweaty balls though. It's another gear you kick into. Age and EQ be damned you want to beat that person.

And I say I want to do ALL THIS but I keep eating and drinking at 12:30 am. :lol: So good for you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 am 
1000 CLUB

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Wow, I wonder what motivated her to behave that way. Her death seems pointless and completely avoidable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

No. But a friend is going to compare the two later this week. He's a Hoka fanatic. I'll let you know.

His review:

Quote:
They're great, I would say Hokas might be a little better for longer distances, but the cushioning on the On-Clouds is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigW72 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Four miles...nice!

My pace was 13:04, so it wasn't four miles of running.....I need 2 weeks ramp-up to get to 4 miles straight.

That's the truth. Getting out on the trails and hilly Emricson Park in Woodstock has been way different than being on the treadmill. Got my first 3 miles done as well last weekend and am only planning on training for a 10K this summer.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:08 am 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

His review:

Quote:
They're great, I would say Hokas might be a little better for longer distances, but the cushioning on the On-Clouds is amazing!

Cool, thanks for passing this info along.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Wow, I wonder what motivated her to behave that way. Her death seems pointless and completely avoidable.

the whole thing is nonsensical. this lady had a family.

in her mind, she believed she had every right to run on the road, into traffic. at the same time, there are scores of drivers who need to rush to work or anxious to get home. bad combinations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 am 
1000 CLUB

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

the whole thing is nonsensical. this lady had a family.

in her mind, she believed she had every right to run on the road, into traffic. at the same time, there are scores of drivers who need to rush to work or anxious to get home. bad combinations.

That's really sad. I wonder if her family was aware of her approach to running and whether or not they tried convincing her to alter her behavior.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next