It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Franky T wrote:
Played my first match in the season long match play. Played a really good player and was getting some stroked. On the first hole - 280 par 4 - he drives the green with a hybrid and promptly rolls in his eagle putt. But I hung in there and we had a back and forth match. I rolled in a bomb on 15 for birdie to go 1 up and closed him out on 17. We played in as he was 1 under par at that point. We both doubled 18 and he shot 71 to my 80. It's good to win a match against a player of his caliber who had his "A" game. My putter was hot. He had me on the ropes a few holes but I made every 4-7 footer I had to tie some holes. He had to be thinking wtf.
that’s so awesome Franky! Good for you man!!

Edit—- were you putting with your Scotty Cameron?

Last edited by T-Bone on Mon May 31, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
+1, that was cool to read!

Play yesterday evening at Silver Lake North Course. Was a picture perfect day for golf, and the course was in Immaculate shape. I shot 50-49 so not all that well, but I hit the ball much better overall then I had my previous two rounds out. Putted pretty well, 1 one putt and 1 three putt. Several 30'+ lags to tap in distance.

Played with my old man and two buddies. Cold beer, two lefties, four Sox fans. Glorious.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
-1 71 with a missed 4 footer. Made a couple I should not have made. Felt good

Edit— best round in over two years. Pretty happy with that. 5 birdies

Nice round!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Played my first match in the season long match play. Played a really good player and was getting some stroked. On the first hole - 280 par 4 - he drives the green with a hybrid and promptly rolls in his eagle putt. But I hung in there and we had a back and forth match. I rolled in a bomb on 15 for birdie to go 1 up and closed him out on 17. We played in as he was 1 under par at that point. We both doubled 18 and he shot 71 to my 80. It's good to win a match against a player of his caliber who had his "A" game. My putter was hot. He had me on the ropes a few holes but I made every 4-7 footer I had to tie some holes. He had to be thinking wtf.

lol...no, it's in time out

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Ugh, I've gone four weeks without playing. A mix of travel to Chicago, a junior statewide amateur event at the course where I play, a burst of activity with work, and bad weather during the week. Tomorrow is the course senior members tournament (no, I'm not crazy enough to enter) and then it's going to rain the rest of the week.

Looks like I'm going to have to break down and play somewhere early on Wednesday morning before the rain comes. First world problems!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:54 pm 

Shot 79 today. After a horrible April and (most of) May my game is finally rounding into shape. I got fitted for a new driver - a Titleist TSi2 and I love it. I've been working on a few things and the practice is finally paying dividends. Practice and doing some drills helps with golf. Who knew?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:57 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

lol...no, it's in time out

:lol: my new one is in there as well and my old trusty model is doing some heavy lifting

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:48 am 

Coastal/Island Golf:

On Monday I played Moody Gardens Golf Course. Wind was screaming out of the southeast. On the 7th hole, a par 5, which from the blacks plays about 560, I went 3 wood/3 wood/3 wood, and was about a foot on the green putting for birdie. And I mean I vaporized all three of those shots and was barely on the green.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
I played for the first time this year. 86. I've had some back stuff the past year and this was the first year i've noticed it. I'm playing a course i frequent pretty well. my short game was pretty inconsistent. long game surprisingly was fine. and my woods I hit with very little slice or pull which is unusual and i typically play to. I feel like my back caused me to not swing outside myself and let the clubs do the work. but 9 to 60* was not good.

that said due to these new back issues, my drives were avging 260-270. which is fine. however this has slowly dwindled as i've aged. 4-5 years ago i could poke it pretty good 285ish (cue rolleyes) I run X flex shafts on a TM SLDR driver and Rocketballz 3w. i'm almost 41. i was suggested X flex when i was fitted in my 20's and its what i've always bought since then. As you can tell I don't upgrade often. my driver before hand i bought in 2009 was a FT3. and i believe i bought the SLDR in 2015.

my question is (and i know the real answer it to go get fitted again) what happens if I drop down to a S shaft (maybe even r flex?). I imagine i've been out of the X flex sphere for some time (100+ club speed?). estimate 90-95 today. will new drivers and a drop down in shaft improve any of my distance. if this is the new normal that's fine I can play within that easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:13 am 

hnd wrote:
I played for the first time this year. 86. I've had some back stuff the past year and this was the first year i've noticed it. I'm playing a course i frequent pretty well. my short game was pretty inconsistent. long game surprisingly was fine. and my woods I hit with very little slice or pull which is unusual and i typically play to. I feel like my back caused me to not swing outside myself and let the clubs do the work. but 9 to 60* was not good.

that said due to these new back issues, my drives were avging 260-270. which is fine. however this has slowly dwindled as i've aged. 4-5 years ago i could poke it pretty good 285ish (cue rolleyes) I run X flex shafts on a TM SLDR driver and Rocketballz 3w. i'm almost 41. i was suggested X flex when i was fitted in my 20's and its what i've always bought since then. As you can tell I don't upgrade often. my driver before hand i bought in 2009 was a FT3. and i believe i bought the SLDR in 2015.

my question is (and i know the real answer it to go get fitted again) what happens if I drop down to a S shaft (maybe even r flex?). I imagine i've been out of the X flex sphere for some time (100+ club speed?). estimate 90-95 today. will new drivers and a drop down in shaft improve any of my distance. if this is the new normal that's fine I can play within that easily.

I am no club expert but my guess is it would help with more consistent distance and probably some accuracy as well. If you have a Golf Galaxy or Dicks near you even they can help with some fitting options for you and I don't think they charge for it, although I could be wrong. It can be a crapshoot at places like that who you get helping you. A PGA Superstore has quality folks there, I have used them in the past and put me into a driver I absolutely love. Again I don't know if I paid for the session or if it was cleared off my bill when I bought the $400 driver.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Yeah my inkling is that it won't really matter a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:51 pm 

hnd wrote:
Yeah my inkling is that it won't really matter a ton.

I guess the other suggestion I would have is to find out if any golf manufacturers are having a fitting day at a course near you. I know all of the major manufacturers come to my course at one time or another during the season. Nothing is better than testing clubs outside instead of against a virtual screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:04 pm 

Backed up a nice 77 yesterday with a 79 today. Game is getting into shape to the point where I feel confident over every shot. The big member-member tournament is next Saturday and I hope I can keep it up because my handicap is dropping rapidly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:21 pm 

Been playing solid, but second day in a row I had two doubles which hurt my score a bit. I eagled a par 5 I’ve always wanted to hit in two for about ten years. It’s 540 yards and the green is up on a hill about 25 feet above the fairway. Right is tree trouble and left is a big drop off and likely a lost ball. Even after a good drive I’m usually more than 250 out and laying up. Today I found myself 245 out and I went for it. Hit a perfect shot leaving me with a 12 foot uphill putt. I’ve been hitting my 3 wood and hybrid pretty solid this year and it’s been a game changer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:22 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Backed up a nice 77 yesterday with a 79 today. Game is getting into shape to the point where I feel confident over every shot. The big member-member tournament is next Saturday and I hope I can keep it up because my handicap is dropping rapidly.

Good luck next weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:24 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Good luck next weekend!

Thanks. It's a fun event. 27 holes - 9 scramble, 9 alternate shot, and 9 best ball (count both on 3 holes). My partner can get wild at times so the alternate shot could get interesting. Thankfully it's a modified alternate shot where we pick the best drive and alternate in from there. Last year we took 3rd. I'd just like to finish top 6 and get in the money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Been playing solid, but second day in a row I had two doubles which hurt my score a bit. I eagled a par 5 I’ve always wanted to hit in two for about ten years. It’s 540 yards and the green is up on a hill about 25 feet above the fairway. Right is tree trouble and left is a big drop off and likely a lost ball. Even after a good drive I’m usually more than 250 out and laying up. Today I found myself 245 out and I went for it. Hit a perfect shot leaving me with a 12 foot uphill putt. I’ve been hitting my 3 wood and hybrid pretty solid this year and it’s been a game changer.

Nice! That's a good feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:22 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Nice! That's a good feeling.

The course I play is usually a little wet plus I play early in the morning with dew so with the drought conditions there is a lot more roll and chances to reach a couple of par 5s which were previously out of range. There are three more I have on my radar screen for the season. Two are not reachable at all and I’ve now eagled 3 of them over the years

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:09 am 

We took 2nd in our flight in the member-member. We lost by less than 2 strokes (with % of handicap you get scores like 107.1). I missed a one footer (ugh!) and my partner missed a two footer. We also took a 6 on a par 3 in the alternate shot (bad luck!). Still should be a pretty good pay out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:22 am 

Been hitting the ball well lately but still haven't been able to put it all together. 73 on Saturday with a double bogey on a par 5 but shot 34 (-2) on the back. Yesterday I turned in 39
but shot -1 on the back nine of the other course to come in with a 74. Just can't make any putts outside of 10 feet lately. Not complaining with the final results. Taking most of this week
off as I am out of town so hopefully will still be able to keep it going when I get back. Hoping it cools down and the humidity goes away a bit as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 am 

I've never bought a driver before. I've only used hand me downs. What would you recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 am 

Brick wrote:
I've never bought a driver before. I've only used hand me downs. What would you recommend?

If you are going to spend the money, get fitted. You will get to hit several of them and then determine which one is the best one for your swing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I was terrible yesterday. Everything was a little bad not one single thing to focus on improving. Very frustrating. A few holes I was double par and picked up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
No golf for me in 2021. Back surgery #8 instead. This time getting 2 level fusion (L4 through S1). Hopefully get it done before August.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
looks like the first time out this year could be at Turtle Bay on my birthday. If not there, then somewhere on Oahu.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:34 pm 

Shakes, sorry to hear and all the best.

Doug, that wouldn't be a bad place to have play your first round. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
No golf for me in 2021. Back surgery #8 instead. This time getting 2 level fusion (L4 through S1). Hopefully get it done before August.

Yikes.

I hope it goes well.

No more Macabees games for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I’m putting off rotator cuff surgery until September dues to golf and boating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yikes.

I hope it goes well.

No more Macabees games for you?

I'm one of the 2 coaches for the old man team in 2022. Was at tryouts over the weekend. Hoping to get surgery ASAP so i have time to recover before our next team tryout in September.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:50 am 

Holed out from 105 today for eagle which I hadn’t done for years. One par3 from 223 I put to 8 ft and made it and another par 3 from 252 to 2 ft and made birdie on both. 73 which was a good score but missed a bunch of putts. Happy Father’s Day to all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next