It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Came across my stash of old baseball cards and I am finally at a place where I am either going to give them away or throw them away. Found a guy online buying old cards locally and I sent him a description and pictures of what I had and he wasn't interested. I have full sets of 1985 thru 1989 Topps cards and then a bunch of random stuff like Ken Griffey Jr rookies and stuff like that. He told me it was all worth about $10. A close family friend bought these for me when I was younger and I enjoyed having them but have had a hell of a time just getting rid of them. I should have sold them decades ago but for some reason thought they would be worth something the longer I held onto them. I was going to see if a local card shop might want them and could give them to a kid or something. Also found a bunch of Star Wars cards from 1980 and also a bunch from the early 90s. Those don't appear to be worth anything either. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
T-Bone wrote:
Came across my stash of old baseball cards and I am finally at a place where I am either going to give them away or throw them away. Found a guy online buying old cards locally and I sent him a description and pictures of what I had and he wasn't interested. I have full sets of 1985 thru 1989 Topps cards and then a bunch of random stuff like Ken Griffey Jr rookies and stuff like that. He told me it was all worth about $10. A close family friend bought these for me when I was younger and I enjoyed having them but have had a hell of a time just getting rid of them. I should have sold them decades ago but for some reason thought they would be worth something the longer I held onto them. I was going to see if a local card shop might want them and could give them to a kid or something. Also found a bunch of Star Wars cards from 1980 and also a bunch from the early 90s. Those don't appear to be worth anything either. :lol:

From what I understand they mass produced too many and they hold very little value.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:55 am 

312player wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

From what I understand they mass produced too many and they hold very little value.

I just talked to a woman at work and she said her son would love to have them and it doesn't matter if they aren't worth anything to him. Perfect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The holiday batch of cardboard coffee cups at Starbucks are absolute pieces of shit. Every single one of them I have had in the last month has leaked. Use more glue you cheap asses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Holy blizzard. I had an 8:00 AM vet appointment scheduled for this morning. Coming down from WI to Dundee. I could not even see the county roads. Snow blowing sideways. Took me almost two hours to get to the Dells, normally 30 minutes. I am waiting until it gets light out to venture back onto I-90.

Staying in IL for a week or so…..but may take a day to get there!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Broke the news today to my youngest son, he's 16 and does have autism, nicest person in the world, that Santa isn't real.

That's not a fun conversation. But he needed to know. He took it pretty well.

All he wants for Christmas is a wall calendar.

I suppose I could have let Santa bring him a wall calendar and let him go another year. I don't know what I'm doing. I suppose there are books out there.

He needs to be prepared for the world.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
My daughter has a learning disability, one consequence of which is she is very naive and gullible. We had to tell her about Santa in 7th grade because we feared if her classmates found out, she would be teased. She took it really well, but the next day she was looking for our Elf on the Shelf that moves each night (she has younger siblings so we had to keep that going). I realized she didn’t understand that Mom and Dad were behind that, too.

So I had to break that to her as well, and she sort of became self-aware of how naive she was to not connect the dots, and that was the worst part of all of it.

But she’s at a small liberal arts college now, so she seems to be adjusting well enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:48 pm 

I hope that you and your son take it well. That's a conversation I can't imagine having. It probably would jolt me for the day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:06 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
I hope that you and your son take it well. That's a conversation I can't imagine having. It probably would jolt me for the day.

It's hard because you think, he's probably figured it out. He's on the computer. He watches TV. Kids usually do that and you don't really have to "break it to them".

So, I assumed he was kind of playing along or doing what he thought he should and not let us know that he knows. And maybe that was the case. He always thinks he might get in trouble if he knows something we think he shouldn't - even if it isn't anything important like "did you eat that piece of pizza?".

But, he said something last week that made me think he really does still believe. So, I thought we needed to make it clear. The kids at school are very nice to him but I don't want him to be in that position.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:

Speaking of tough conversations between parents and a son, this is one in reverse. A guy I know had to tell his parents he was gay. When he sat them down and told them, his mom looked at his dad and said, “I told you so, and you owe me 20 bucks.”

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It's hard because you think, he's probably figured it out. He's on the computer. He watches TV. Kids usually do that and you don't really have to "break it to them".

So, I assumed he was kind of playing along or doing what he thought he should and not let us know that he knows. And maybe that was the case. He always thinks he might get in trouble if he knows something we think he shouldn't - even if it isn't anything important like "did you eat that piece of pizza?".

But, he said something last week that made me think he really does still believe. So, I thought we needed to make it clear. The kids at school are very nice to him but I don't want him to be in that position.
Our daughter told us she knew for several years but played along because she thought she got twice as many presents :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Heisenberg wrote:
My daughter has a learning disability, one consequence of which is she is very naive and gullible. We had to tell her about Santa in 7th grade because we feared if her classmates found out, she would be teased. She took it really well, but the next day she was looking for our Elf on the Shelf that moves each night (she has younger siblings so we had to keep that going). I realized she didn’t understand that Mom and Dad were behind that, too.

So I had to break that to her as well, and she sort of became self-aware of how naive she was to not connect the dots, and that was the worst part of all of it.

But she’s at a small liberal arts college now, so she seems to be adjusting well enough.

I can see how her self-realization was crushing to both her and you, but good to know she's more or less adjusted now.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I do love the pics in the local papers of kids watching Santa come to town. The wonder and amazement in their eyes is so innocent. Wouldn't it be nice to have that feeling again?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:04 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I do love the pics in the local papers of kids watching Santa come to town. The wonder and amazement in their eyes is so innocent. Wouldn't it be nice to have that feeling again?

We have that everytime the Bears draft a new QB,

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 am 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Broke the news today to my youngest son, he's 16 and does have autism, nicest person in the world, that Santa isn't real.

I suppose I could have let Santa bring him a wall calendar and let him go another year. I don't know what I'm doing. I suppose there are books out there.

Yeah....that's a tough one. My son is pretty high-functioning, but he can't survive on his own--he's in that middle range--so we were able to tell him last year when he was twelve, but it was one of those moments where there was a loss of some kind and not much of what feels like a gain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's

A friend of mine's kid- the kid is 21 now, I guess I would call him a friend at this point too- when he was 7 or 8 years old he was out to breakfast with his mom (my friend) and his aunt. I guess that's a about the age when most kids start questioning Santa's existence, hearing rumors from older kids or whatever. It was right before Christmas and the kid was telling the two women how he and one of his friends at school were going to try to trap Santa to make sure he was real.

The aunt (my friend's older sister) is a very no-nonsense kind of person. I don't think she ever let her own daughter believe there was a Santa Claus. Anyway, she said to the kid, "You don't need to go through all that trouble. You can just ask me if Santa Claus really exists." So the kid asked, "Auntie, does Santa exist?" And she told him no. My friend was absolutely livid. The kid looked like he was going to cry. But then my friend said, "Okay, you're a big guy now. You have to be very careful not to tell any younger kids." That made it okay as the kid got all puffed up and proud like he was an adult who knew a special secret. But my friend was still furious with her sister.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
Franky T wrote:

We have that everytime the Bears draft a new QB,

:lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

A friend of mine's kid- the kid is 21 now, I guess I would call him a friend at this point too- when he was 7 or 8 years old he was out to breakfast with his mom (my friend) and his aunt. I guess that's a about the age when most kids start questioning Santa's existence, hearing rumors from older kids or whatever. It was right before Christmas and the kid was telling the two women how he and one of his friends at school were going to try to trap Santa to make sure he was real.

The aunt (my friend's older sister) is a very no-nonsense kind of person. I don't think she ever let her own daughter believe there was a Santa Claus. Anyway, she said to the kid, "You don't need to go through all that trouble. You can just ask me if Santa Claus really exists." So the kid asked, "Auntie, does Santa exist?" And she told him no. My friend was absolutely livid. The kid looked like he was going to cry. But then my friend said, "Okay, you're a big guy now. You have to be very careful not to tell any younger kids." That made it okay as the kid got all puffed up and proud like he was an adult who knew a special secret. But my friend was still furious with her sister.

my wife was like there is no need for santa, i was very indifferent. our oldest figured out quick enough that he wasn't real but we explicitly let her know it was not ok to tell other peoples kids that. she and my other child did great at keeping this secret. my 3rd child did not. we have a family we are very close with. we count them as family. well my "sister" had a kid aroudn the same time as my 2nd and he was told santa wasn't real in 6th grade. however the mother had to fend off the bullets my 3rd child would use as retribution for him picking on her.

I pretended that I believed in Santa and would do odd things to try and convince them he was real. It was our fun game and the kids loved it. They really believed that I believed for a long time.

Enter our 4th. adopted out of foster care. a few weeks ago her teacher pulled me a side. "could you talk to her about the Santa thing....she told all the kids that Santa was dead" ooooook

so in the car the conversation was like this :

"hey kiddo did you tell the kids Santa was dead?"
"yes...he iiiiiisss"
"I know but some kids don't know that and its their parents job to tell them that...its ok they think he's real"
"but these are my friends"
"ok so"
"I can't lie to my friends"
"you can talk with Mom about it when you get home"

so we get home and my wife is like the girls told her santa wasn't real and she asked if he ever was real so I told her there was a saint nick but that was a long time ago and she asked if he was dead and I said yes

Its going well

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Franky T wrote:

My son is 3 now and really gets the birthday/Christmas thing now. Its absolutely wonderful to watch, and relive some of my own memories.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: What??
My mom died at 72 and never admitted there was no Santa. I was getting presents from Santa at age 40.

Very endearing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Nardi wrote:
My mom died at 72 and never admitted there was no Santa. I was getting presents from Santa at age 40.

Very endearing.

That's dedication.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
hnd wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

my wife was like there is no need for santa, i was very indifferent. our oldest figured out quick enough that he wasn't real but we explicitly let her know it was not ok to tell other peoples kids that. she and my other child did great at keeping this secret. my 3rd child did not. we have a family we are very close with. we count them as family. well my "sister" had a kid aroudn the same time as my 2nd and he was told santa wasn't real in 6th grade. however the mother had to fend off the bullets my 3rd child would use as retribution for him picking on her.

I pretended that I believed in Santa and would do odd things to try and convince them he was real. It was our fun game and the kids loved it. They really believed that I believed for a long time.

Enter our 4th. adopted out of foster care. a few weeks ago her teacher pulled me a side. "could you talk to her about the Santa thing....she told all the kids that Santa was dead" ooooook

"yes...he iiiiiisss"
"I know but some kids don't know that and its their parents job to tell them that...its ok they think he's real"
"ok so"

so we get home and my wife is like the girls told her santa wasn't real and she asked if he ever was real so I told her there was a saint nick but that was a long time ago and she asked if he was dead and I said yes

Its going well

My wife was the same way and I was indifferent. I got the sentiment behind it but yeah, telling kids, especially my middle child who is very literal and has no filter, to let the other kids enjoy it was a challenge. As a kid I know I knew when I was like 7 bit I also know I let know one know I knew for a few years. Told my mom years later that her using the same to tag year after year was a bit suspect, especially when she had them in the same box as the supplies we used for wrapping presents.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Angie's
hnd wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

"yes...he iiiiiisss"
"ok so"

Its going well

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hnd, you're a little bit crazy, but a good man, without a doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:21 am 

T-Bone wrote:

yeah the problem is find any 40 something yr old and they have a few rubbermaid totes in their basement full of these things. everyone waiting for the other person to destroy theirs so the value of these may go up a little bit. we'll all likely still be holding these topps and donruss sets of cards well into our 80's....

I remember when I was in college, trying to sell some baseball cards. I walked into the local card shop and presented 2 KGjr cards and a Jerry Rice RC to the guy and asked him what he'd take. he offered me like 30% of what beckett said they were worth. I was offended! and then he opened up 2 of those white carbboard card holders and presented to me, not in any way protected, an entire carton of KG jr rookie cards and about 50 Jerry rice rookie cards. "why do I need yours? he asked" i remember that to this day.

I will say 5 years ago I had the Jerry Rice RC graded and it came back as an 8 and I sold it for $300 bucks. not a bad investment. I "dated" a girl for 2 weeks in 6th grade and she gave it to me and a bunch of other higher end cards for christmas that she had stolen from her brother.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:45 am 

hnd wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

yeah the problem is find any 40 something yr old and they have a few rubbermaid totes in their basement full of these things. everyone waiting for the other person to destroy theirs so the value of these may go up a little bit. we'll all likely still be holding these topps and donruss sets of cards well into our 80's....

I remember when I was in college, trying to sell some baseball cards. I walked into the local card shop and presented 2 KGjr cards and a Jerry Rice RC to the guy and asked him what he'd take. he offered me like 30% of what beckett said they were worth. I was offended! and then he opened up 2 of those white carbboard card holders and presented to me, not in any way protected, an entire carton of KG jr rookie cards and about 50 Jerry rice rookie cards. "why do I need yours? he asked" i remember that to this day.

I will say 5 years ago I had the Jerry Rice RC graded and it came back as an 8 and I sold it for $300 bucks. not a bad investment. I "dated" a girl for 2 weeks in 6th grade and she gave it to me and a bunch of other higher end cards for christmas that she had stolen from her brother.

Yeah looking back I should have unloaded them in the early to mid-90s but who knew? I am bringing my tote full of cards to work on Friday for this gal at work. Her son sounds like me when I was young and likes to sort them and look at the stats and stuff on the back. The Star Wars cards have all kinds of old trivia on them and stuff. I'm giving them to her for free since she hooks me up with all kinds of free branded stuff here at work that I pass off as gifts and giveaways all the time. A true win/win. That is hilarious your girlfriend stole the cards from her brother. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm 

when I got married and we moved all my wifes stuff to IL, there was a rubbermaid tote.....with all the same collection of mid 80's the early 90's topps, donruss, and upperdeck cards. we now have 2 totes and have continued to have them. our boy we are hoping to adopt from foster care is 18 mo old but i'm hoping someday to give them to him.

they said that cards are back and popular...but they preface it with....not those ones.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's

What direction was the pineapple? I can't keep track.

A guy at the grocery store had 4 pineapples in his cart. One was upside down. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Well, I moved back in October into a get place. As I was packing/moving boxes I hurt my shoulder again. Same one I had messed up a few years ago. I had a couple small tears in the rotator cuff. So thinking I had just aggravated that I did what they had me do the last time. take avile and do some exercises to strengthen it up.After 2-3 weeks when the pain just got worse I went to urgent care.gave me referral to the specialist and crappy codeine medication that did shit for the pain. after and X-ray then and MRI ,surprise I did not mess the cuff but I tore my labium and partially detach my bicep. gave me the weakest oxy they could and because my insurance is a bunch of jags I have to wait until Jan to get my shoulder fixed.
I will say this after having to take opioids for over 2 weeks now, I can not see how anyone can take them long term and think they are fun. All you do is sit around or sleep. I may have played around with them in the past but not hardcore. Like Heroin I do not see the charm. I need to get motivated and haul my ass to the dispensary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Just got a call that one of my oldest and closest friends cancer has spread to his brain. Probably not gonna let him leave the hospital. All they can do for him now is try and manage the pain. I fucking hate this time of year

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

chaspoppcap wrote:
Well, I moved back in October into a get place. As I was packing/moving boxes I hurt my shoulder again. Same one I had messed up a few years ago. I had a couple small tears in the rotator cuff. So thinking I had just aggravated that I did what they had me do the last time. take avile and do some exercises to strengthen it up.After 2-3 weeks when the pain just got worse I went to urgent care.gave me referral to the specialist and crappy codeine medication that did shit for the pain. after and X-ray then and MRI ,surprise I did not mess the cuff but I tore my labium and partially detach my bicep. gave me the weakest oxy they could and because my insurance is a bunch of jags I have to wait until Jan to get my shoulder fixed.
I will say this after having to take opioids for over 2 weeks now, I can not see how anyone can take them long term and think they are fun. All you do is sit around or sleep. I may have played around with them in the past but not hardcore. Like Heroin I do not see the charm. I need to get motivated and haul my ass to the dispensary

Feel better soon chas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 190  Next