It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:51 am 

It took him 20+ years to get anything above the evening shift...which was preempted more than half the time by baseball, nfl/niu football, depaul/bulls basketball, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I heard a little bit of Bernstein and Holmes yesterday. Leery often refers to players in their mid-20s as "kids", and yesterday said Eloy Jimenez seems like a "good kid." Someone Holmes' age referring to someone Jimenez' age as if the latter were 12 or 13 is silly, especially when you consider it's coming from a guy who frequently talks about comic books and pro-wrestling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:08 am 

Sir is a lot older than you think. He has to be nearing 50 by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:35 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Sir is a lot older than you think. He has to be nearing 50 by now.

I am pretty sure he is like 46-47

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I recently turned 53 and, unless the person looked exceptionally young, wouldn't refer to a 25 year-old as a kid.

Him doing that is part of his delusion that he's viewed as an elder statesman of...something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Tad Queasy wrote:
I recently turned 53 and, unless the person looked exceptionally young, wouldn't refer to a 25 year-old as a kid.

Him doing that is part of his delusion that he's viewed as an elder statesman of...something.

I think it is reasonable if the player is in his early to mid 20s and it would be normal for you to have kids that age then I don't think it's too weird. I'll refer to 18-20 year-old hockey prospects as kids all the time. Hell, when I watch the NHL Draft the draftees' moms are the age of my peer group.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
DAC wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I think it is reasonable if the player is in his early to mid 20s and it would be normal for you to have kids that age then I don't think it's too weird. I'll refer to 18-20 year-old hockey prospects as kids all the time. Hell, when I watch the NHL Draft the draftees' moms are the age of my peer group.

Let's rewind to 2004...Manager Ozzie Guillen age 40 refers to his DH Frank Thomas age 36 as "kid" :lol: :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:57 pm 

by definition, the action is weird if Sir does it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
A few days ago I caught Bernstein talking about slavery for a couple minutes. Every time he used the word "slaves", Holmes chimed in with "enslaved people as if to illustrate Bernstein's ignorance/insensitivity without actually directly addressing it. He seemed to want to make a fool out of Bernstein for being imperfectly woke and wanted to do a Jason Goff vis-a-vis Dan McNeil woke-a-dope hit job on him. This is what sports radio has come to--performing "enlightenment" rather than actually articulating any kind of interesting thought or novel idea. Holmes must be painfully aware that he is no match for Bernstein from an intellectual or entertainment perspective, but he can nevertheless put him "in his place" by exposing his presumed cultural atavism.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Emaciated Street Yanni is my favorite unhoused person.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:24 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Listened to Mulli then Larry on Score Stories back to back with P & S. Mulli's claim to fame is he was in the room when Doug Buffone tried to strangle Bernstein. That's a great story he added some new tidbits to. Pretty interesting stuff on his early days as a writer and Score guy. Nothing earth shattering. Mulli knows he's very lucky to be where he's at.

Larry's segment was really a trip. Non-stop self-glorification and arrogant entitlement. Spiegel seemed obligued to pour praise towards Larry at every opening. Larry is very proud of his cutting edge fresh approaches to sports radio with his keen insight but of course can't come up with any examples
Come away still blah neutral on Mulli. P & S appeared petrified not to rub Larry the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
vitoscotti wrote:
Listened to Mulli then Larry on Score Stories back to back with P & S. Mulli's claim to fame is he was in the room when Doug Buffone tried to strangle Bernstein. That's a great story he added some new tidbits to. Pretty interesting stuff on his early days as a writer and Score guy. Nothing earth shattering. Mulli knows he's very lucky to be where he's at.

Larry's segment was really a trip. Non-stop self-glorification and arrogant entitlement. Spiegel seemed obligued to pour praise towards Larry at every opening. Larry is very proud of his cutting edge fresh approaches to sports radio with his keen insight but of course can't come up with any examples
Come away still blah neutral on Mulli. P & S appeared petrified not to rub Larry the wrong way.

Larry started out as a decent producer, an OK Bears reporter, was a part of a disaster known and Hamp and Holmes, struggled to do a two hour show, got launched from the Bears post show only to be replaced by..Kap, and now is filling the Goff/Connor role as the next guy to fail with Bernstein...not quite the rosy story he is apparently telling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Candlelight
I wish they would dump Larry and give Mark Grote his spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larry on "Score Stories" said he always thought he'd be an ESPN sports center host. He said in his 20s he decided to forgo that mission. Not that it abandoned him. He also was let go by NBCSC because of covid layoffs. Nothing to do with him. He was set before covid to leave the Score to create a Chicago PTI like show with Kap. Thinly veiled hints of a career uphill climb because of racism. When it sounds the reverse when he lists all his failures to be sitting where he's at now still unable to create an interesting product and be rewarded for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Larry was voted best host in recent The Athletic survey. If anything, his stock is going up everywhere but here. He had 21.8% of the 2,264 votes with Bernstein 2nd at 21.1%. Their show was voted best show as well, followed by Waddle and Silvy. There's no accounting for taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Augie wrote:
Larry was voted best host in recent The Athletic survey. If anything, his stock is going up everywhere but here. He had 21.8% of the 2,264 votes with Bernstein 2nd at 21.1%. Their show was voted best show as well, followed by Waddle and Silvy. There's no accounting for taste.

if it's a survey of people who actually pay for the athletic i think we can safely discount it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:51 pm 

Augie wrote:

best way to rank talent

#1 salary
#2 ratings
#3 time slot
#50 the athletic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
That Athletic survey allowed single individuals to cast an unlimited number of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if Larry voted for himself early and often.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Tall Midget wrote:
That Athletic survey allowed single individuals to cast an unlimited number of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if Larry voted for himself early and often.

:lol:

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:25 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

Probably the same reason Goff got 50% of the vote for 'Which former host do you want to see have a show?' Truthfully though, I see Larry and Goff having a show together whenever Bernstein hangs it up and maybe taking over Drive time at some point for P&S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol:

I don't think this is a joke. I think Larry's self loving ego would absolutely vote for himself hundreds of times. No doubt in my mind that he did that.

The wife was always gonna be temporary for him. That was his game. Getting a wife was his way of proving he's not gay to the public. But Larry has one true love in his life. Himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10 am 

Beardown wrote:
[ But Larry has one true love in his life. Himself.

There's a soiled anime body pillow in Hyde Park that begs to differ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Laurence Holmes goes from a solo act to a ‘powerhouse’ radio pairing with Dan Bernstein on the Score
By Chris Boghossian
Chicago Tribune Jul 20, 2022 at 6:00 am

Seven minutes.
That’s how long it took for Laurence Holmes to take a playful jab at Dan Bernstein during the premiere of the “Bernstein and Holmes Show” on WSCR-AM 670.
The Score hosts were discussing parking and transportation issues downtown when Bernstein took a right turn.
“And you hear what’s going on in Rome?” Bernstein asked. “People are getting pancaked right and left. Ooh, there’s a Fiat! Oops, I’m dead. And if you’ve ever walked around Rome, it is hard enough to not die.”
Holmes pounced.
“Not all of us can relate to walking around Rome,” he said.
Countered Bernstein: “Walking around those streets, it is like a leap of faith, man. You just walk and you hope the cars stop. They ain’t stoppin’ for you.”
Holmes then polled Adam Studzinski and Rey Diaz, who along with Mike Rankin produced the show that day.
“Studs, Rey, pay attention: How many of you, show of hands, have walked around Rome?” Holmes asked. “I don’t see Rey with his hand up, I don’t see Studs with his hand up and I don’t have my hand up. Therefore …”
“Therefore you can all go screw yourselves and consider yourselves warned,” Bernstein said.
“Mr. Relatable, Dan Bernstein!” Holmes chanted.
“That didn’t take long,” Bernstein said with a chuckle before running through the show itinerary.
So began the on-air marriage of Bernstein and Holmes, two Score veterans who have succeeded solo and with partners, survived the industry’s cutthroat cutbacks and thrived in the competitive world of Chicago sports-talk radio.
The show, which debuted June 20, will be a month old Wednesday when the station celebrates its 30th birthday with a 6 a.m.-6 p.m. open house for listeners to visit with Score hosts and contributors past and present during a live broadcast at Real Time Sports in Elk Grove Village.
And in the Score’s 30-year history, perhaps no duo has had the swagger that Holmes and Bernstein bring to the station’s new midday show.
A ‘powerhouse’ pairing
Shortly after Score operations director Mitch Rosen announced the Bernstein-Holmes partnership in a June 16 news release, the station began airing promotions, labeling it a “powerhouse” pairing.
And in the world of sports-talk radio, it is.
Holmes was 22 when the Score hired him in May 1998 as a part-time producer. Five years later he took over covering the Chicago Bears for the station and eventually became a host.
Bernstein started working at the Score in May 1995 as a Bears reporter before getting his own weeknight show in May 1999. Three months later he teamed with Terry Boers, a pairing that lasted more than 17 years until Boers’ retirement in December 2016.
That’s a combined 51-plus years at the station.
Holmes spent the last 13 years as a solo act, hosting a weeknight show from 6-10 p.m. for nine years and from noon to 2 p.m. the last four. He hadn’t had a co-host since Bears Hall of Famer Dan Hampton in 2009.
And while Holmes, 47, and Bernstein, 53, had plenty of interaction during show transitions and fill-in appearances over the years, sharing mic time for four hours daily would be a new challenge — which is exactly what Holmes wanted.
“I think Dan’s really smart,” Holmes said in an interview before their first show. “So when you’re used to, like I am, doing a solo show, I hope that my scope is not limited, but it still is usually from my perspective, and I think Dan is really good at offering up a different perspective and saying, ‘Well, have you thought about it like this?’ or ‘This is the way that I’m seeing it.’ That’s the way I think we can challenge each other and vice versa.
“I know where a lot of (the perspectives) mesh. I don’t know where a lot of them come to a head, and that’s the fun part of doing a show every day with a partner — figuring out where those things are.”
Bernstein concurred.
“That is an important aspect of every show with more than one host,” he said. “Both of us are experienced and confident and look forward to that open exchange of thoughts and ideas.
“The concept of being challenged every time you turn the mic on is fundamental to what we do. Even if it’s a solo show. Even if it’s a producer jumping on with a thought or dealing with callers or guests. If someone doesn’t feel properly challenged, you’re not getting the joy and invigoration that this medium can bring.”

The Rahimi effect
The “Bernstein and Holmes Show” wouldn’t have been a show without Leila Rahimi taking over as the lead sports anchor at NBC-5 in April. She had been co-hosting with Bernstein at the Score since January 2021.
Bernstein kept the 9 a.m.-noon slot after Rahimi left until Rosen approached Holmes with the idea of doing a show with Bernstein for one afternoon, and Holmes was game. “It was really a lot of fun,” Holmes said.
A few weeks later, Rosen asked Holmes if he would consider partnering with Bernstein long term.
“And I said, ‘Yeah, that would definitely be something I’d be interested in,’ ” Holmes said.
Bernstein didn’t need any convincing.
“The first thing I said was, ‘That show’s going to be great,’” Bernstein said. “It’s in large part due to Laurence’s ideal combination of a reporter’s mentality with an entertainer’s sensibility. He — and I think this is really important for what we do at the Score that may be different than a typical sports radio station — is understanding there’s a time and a place to have fun and have it be fun, and there’s a time and a place for it to be serious. And understanding those differences on those days is critical. Big, important stories are going to get the biggest, most important, most significant serious coverage.
“But it’s ultimately entertainment, and he and I share — we’re of similar age, so I think we have some similar cultural touchstones in our lives. And he’s extremely well-read, he is a well-rounded intellect above and beyond sports, which I think is so critical in what we do.”
Thus the “Bernstein and Holmes Show.”
Rahimi, 39, hasn’t abandoned the Score. She is a part-time host every Wednesday on the “Bernstein and Holmes Show” — Leila Wednesdays, they call it — and Holmes and Bernstein couldn’t be happier.
“She’s awesome, and what she brings to the table as a broadcaster, there’s depth of knowledge and experience and the fun — she brings fun,” Holmes said. “She’s got the receipts now. She reads transcripts. … She brings a television mentality to radio, meaning, like, the concept of logging a game. She’s not just watching it, she’s logging it. And you can tell what type of difference that makes in coverage. So her perspective is unique, No. 1, but then when you add in the work ethic that she has and the dynamic approach of wanting to do this job, well, I think you can hear it when she’s on the air.
“I’m glad that there were a lot of early adopters of Leila — she comes in and you’re like, man, she’s dope. I’m also glad that there are people that, when they gave her a chance, they found out they were listening to someone who’s really special.”
Added Bernstein: “She’s a total star in her own right. Her perspective, her sense of humor and her approach to understanding how to prioritize news is unparalleled. She’s funny as hell and a joy to be around, and it just comes through on the air.
“People don’t realize how broad-based her professional background is, the number of major-league dugouts she’s been in, the number of big-time college football sidelines she’s walked and arenas she’s been in for NBA games. It’s immeasurably valuable to have somebody who is experienced on high levels. In hockey — my God, international hockey — she knows people and has done stuff on a big-time level for every sport. That matters.
“Keeping her as part of the show and of the station … we’re very, very lucky we’re able to do that.”

Will it last?
Bernstein was part of the longest-running program in Chicago sports-talk radio history with Boers. But neither he nor Holmes knows how long the partnership will last.
“To use a basketball metaphor, it’s making sure that the offense is running well by making sure who needs the ball where and how that best functions,” Bernstein said. “And until you host with someone every single day, you can’t predict how that’s going to be.
“And the fact that Laurence and I, to continue the tortured metaphor, we’re both multipositional players in that regard, and either one of us can play on the ball or off the ball. And over time, we’re just going to get comfortable. That becomes second nature. … That’s a feel thing, and we’re going to jump right in.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Quote:
And in the Score’s 30-year history, perhaps no duo has had the swagger that Holmes and Bernstein bring

Whoa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:14 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
And in the Score’s 30-year history, perhaps no duo has had the swagger that Holmes and Bernstein bring

Whoa

That's some comedy right there :lol: :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:52 pm 

Is there anything more ridiculous (and transparent as to the reason) then Mitch thinking anyone is listening specifically for Leila on Wednesdays?

but hey, when there is some need for international hockey coverage, the Score has a go to person.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:32 pm 

I wonder what the average number of daily Score listeners is in 2022 compared to say 2002.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Is there anything more ridiculous (and transparent as to the reason) then Mitch thinking anyone is listening specifically for Leila on Wednesdays?

but hey, when there is some need for international hockey coverage, the Score has a go to person.

Serious question.....does anyone specifically listen to any of the Score hosts now? I would argue it's either people that listen out of an old habit, or something tuning in for an update and then they move on to something else.

Not a single show has any kind of entertainment value. It's just regurgitated news at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Serious question.....does anyone specifically listen to any of the Score hosts now? I would argue it's either people that listen out of an old habit, or something tuning in for an update and then they move on to something else.

Not a single show has any kind of entertainment value. It's just regurgitated news at this point.

If I’m home I listen toe Parkins and Speigel pretty regularly. Bernstein too if there’s nothing interesting going on in the news arena.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If I’m home I listen toe Parkins and Speigel pretty regularly. Bernstein too if there’s nothing interesting going on in the news arena.

Parkins and Speigel put on a decent show for the most part. 2-6 is the only time I ever even think about putting on 670.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next