It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Astronomical events!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Binocular theory has now been debunked. It sounded outlandish to begin with.

It worked for me. The binoculars are lightweight, though, and sharp. Saw two or three moons and some detail.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Apparently Jupiter is closer to Earth than it has been for almost 60 years. I was going to try to go down to the shore of Lake Michigan and watch it coming up in the east after dawn. I don't have anything better than binoculars but read that could be good enough.

They would be. (7 x 35)

Also, a decent zoom lens would work. I got the four largest moons of Jupiter with a shitty zoom. The Inebriated Rodent has got a super zoom, if ya see him.

Went down to the lakefront last night. It was pretty obvious where to look. I found my better pair of binoculars and magnification on them is 10 x 42 so I had high hopes. I really couldn’t see any detail. Part of the issue is keeping the stupid things steady. A telescope would likely be better or a stand for the binoculars. I could see it was a planet but none of the details of the rings or anything.

I have the same problem. If you wear a baseball cap and rest the fingers that aren't holding the binoculars on the brim of the cap, it helps a little bit. But, Jupiter was nothing more than a dancing ball of light when I looked through the binoculars. My wife, on the other hand, claimed she could see points of light around Jupiter that she assumed were the moons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Apparently Jupiter is closer to Earth than it has been for almost 60 years. I was going to try to go down to the shore of Lake Michigan and watch it coming up in the east after dawn. I don't have anything better than binoculars but read that could be good enough.

They would be. (7 x 35)

Also, a decent zoom lens would work. I got the four largest moons of Jupiter with a shitty zoom. The Inebriated Rodent has got a super zoom, if ya see him.

Went down to the lakefront last night. It was pretty obvious where to look. I found my better pair of binoculars and magnification on them is 10 x 42 so I had high hopes. I really couldn’t see any detail. Part of the issue is keeping the stupid things steady. A telescope would likely be better or a stand for the binoculars. I could see it was a planet but none of the details of the rings or anything.

I have the same problem. If you wear a baseball cap and rest the fingers that aren't holding the binoculars on the brim of the cap, it helps a little bit. But, Jupiter was nothing more than a dancing ball of light when I looked through the binoculars. My wife, on the other hand, claimed she could see points of light around Jupiter that she assumed were the moons.

The best binoculars are the lightest ones, and they are a little pricey. But you'd be surprised at how steady they hold in your hand while stargazing. You can get a stand for them, too, or even gerry-rig a camera stand. But if you have a decent zoom lens, you can see much of this, too. I've been doing so for the past ten years, and we've been lucky, what with the comets and close passing of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

I was at Promontory Point (with a small group, including coppers) and could see the little moons as points of light. Seeing the color of Jupiter is almost shocking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 pm 

The Point! One of my favorite places since I was a kid. I thought that I had had all kinds of fun there until the day I got in my car and discovered the half bundle of wood leftover from the small bonfire my son and his Kenwood classmates had there the previous night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:14 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

They would be. (7 x 35)

The best binoculars are the lightest ones, and they are a little pricey. But you'd be surprised at how steady they hold in your hand while stargazing. You can get a stand for them, too, or even gerry-rig a camera stand. But if you have a decent zoom lens, you can see much of this, too. I've been doing so for the past ten years, and we've been lucky, what with the comets and close passing of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

I was at Promontory Point (with a small group, including coppers) and could see the little moons as points of light. Seeing the color of Jupiter is almost shocking.

I'm glad you were able to see it. I got the dancing ball of light. Won't be putting any money into anything better than what I currently have. Don't care that much but would have been neat to see it a bit more close up. My wife has a friend that has a telescope and she let them know about it but not sure if she heard back from her.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:21 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Point! One of my favorite places since I was a kid. I thought that I had had all kinds of fun there until the day I got in my car and discovered the half bundle of wood leftover from the small bonfire my son and his Kenwood classmates had there the previous night.

my parents used to take me there for Venetian Night every summer. Great memories

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
It's been a while since we talked in this thread. I miss it. Let's change that.
Look west after sunset tonight. Just after sunset... while it's still a bit light out there. You'll see Venus, a very bright "star", and you'll see above it Jupiter. Over the next week and a half, they'll get closer and closer together, until they're so close on March 1st that they'll be less than a full moons width apart! A decent set of binoculars will reveal the 4 biggest moons of jupiter, and will show you the phases that Venus goes thru. Yup! Venus goes thru phases like the moon does. Check it out!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I feel like I saw three planets visible the other night—is Saturn in view as well?

Can you make a recommendation for “good” binoculars in terms of power and brand?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Heisenberg wrote:
I feel like I saw three planets visible the other night—is Saturn in view as well?

Can you make a recommendation for “good” binoculars in terms of power and brand?

Getting a good look at Saturn through a good telescope is amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:

I don't use binoculars for viewing myself, I've got a celestron nextstar 8se with starsense auto alignment. But... for casual viewing and for sports and stuff I'd say you Wang something like maybe 20x80s. Orion and celestron make nice costed optics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:16 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:

Oh... and saturn is on the other side of the sun... not visible for a few months.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:20 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Hes right.
I'd love to fund a nice clear night to have yall meet me out in my hood area to do some late summer viewing. We'll see some cool shit. Funny thing is... everyone's favorite object, besides jupiter and saturn, is the moon. My score is an 8 inch, so it collects a lot of light. The moon is so bright in it I have to use a filter to view it comfortably. Only let's thru about 11% of the light. I've got light pollution filters and hydrogen and oxygen filters for nebula viewing too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Do you view Ur anus?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:51 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Do you view Ur anus?

How old are you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Darkside wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Hes right.
I'd love to fund a nice clear night to have yall meet me out in my hood area to do some late summer viewing. We'll see some cool shit. Funny thing is... everyone's favorite object, besides jupiter and saturn, is the moon. My score is an 8 inch, so it collects a lot of light. The moon is so bright in it I have to use a filter to view it comfortably. Only let's thru about 11% of the light. I've got light pollution filters and hydrogen and oxygen filters for nebula viewing too.

This sounds cool.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Hes right.

This sounds cool.

Dude it is.
Not far from the estates we have some bortle 6 skies. Not bad for some deep sky viewing. Would love to have you out. And the kids would dig it too. You should think about it dude.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Darkside wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Do you view Ur anus?

How old are you?

I was going to as if I could get a look at Uranus too. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Hes right.

This sounds cool.

Dude it is.
Not far from the estates we have some bortle 6 skies. Not bad for some deep sky viewing. Would love to have you out. And the kids would dig it too. You should think about it dude.

I may take you up on that offer.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:13 pm 

Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Hes right.

This sounds cool.

Dude it is.

I may take you up on that offer.

I'd love that. We really don't have to wait for fall skies... summer skies have some interesting objects too and it's more pleasant for the microdudes. That being said, for the next couple years jupiter is more of a late fall early winter object and saturn will be a summer object. Moon stuff anytime. Just so ya know, plan on spending a night at the estates or getting a room cause it's all late night stuff but you're welcome here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:26 am 

Tonight and tomorrow the moon will be joining Venus and Jupiter in the western sky at sunset.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Darkside wrote:
Tonight and tomorrow the moon will be joining Venus and Jupiter in the western sky at sunset.

Will I need a telescope?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:32 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Will I need a telescope?

This is a naked eye conjunction. You can easily view Venus and jupiter as they are the first and second brightest objects in the sky respectively, after the sun and the moon. If you wish to see the phases of Venus or the moons and banding of jupiter, you will need a small telescope or high quality binoculars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Darkside wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Will I need a telescope?

This is a naked eye conjunction. You can easily view Venus and jupiter as they are the first and second brightest objects in the sky respectively, after the sun and the moon. If you wish to see the phases of Venus or the moons and banding of jupiter, you will need a small telescope or high quality binoculars.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
So I'm seeing that sunset is at 5:32 pm...I'm near the Estate, so should I go out before or after? its still fucking cold out there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:22 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
So I'm seeing that sunset is at 5:32 pm...I'm near the Estate, so should I go out before or after? its still fucking cold out there

If it's not cloudy yet... just after sunset. Call ot 545.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Darkside wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

naked eye conjunction.

Both a band name and a medical condition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

naked eye conjunction.

Both a band name and a medical condition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:11 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Do you view Ur anus?

How old are you?

40 years old and I still work with guys like that everyday. Women are so mentally distraught all the time just wishing for a good man to love them and when they find him he can't stop the anus dad jokes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:12 pm 

A CME is forecast to hit earth sometime on the 27th or 28th. It could cause a G3 geomagnetic storm.
What's this mean to you? Not much. Maybe some GPS syncing issues or if you have really sensitive electronics you may get false voltage alarms or some voltage corrections may be necessary. It is possible we could see aurora (northern lights) in dark skies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Darkside wrote:
A CME is forecast to hit earth sometime on the 27th or 28th. It could cause a G3 geomagnetic storm.
What's this mean to you? Not much. Maybe some GPS syncing issues or if you have really sensitive electronics you may get false voltage alarms or some voltage corrections may be necessary. It is possible we could see aurora (northern lights) in dark skies.

ACME stuff never works. It's was documented on countless Saturday mornings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next