It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
One Post wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Correa is a superstar, Swanson isn't

Correa is a good player, he is not a superstar.

7 fWAR season in 2021
5.4 fWAR season in 2022

If he's healthy he's a star

im not hating on Carlos Correa, hes good and an obvious improvement. He is not taking this team to the world series.

Right, Correa, not a guy who plays for teams that do well in the playoffs.

Correa is going into the HoF, not sure if you consider that a superstar or not, but that's where he is going to end up.

This Cubs supporting cast is not the Astros. And there are lots of good players that aren't superstars in the HOF, I wouldn't hang my hat on that argument.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:13 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Again may I ask why are you so concerned with Tom Rickett's financial well being?

I dont give a shit about tom ricketts bank account, nor have I mentioned his name. This team investing a fortune in money and years in Carlos Correa seems premature to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Caller Bob wrote:
Again may I ask why are you so concerned with Tom Rickett's financial well being?

I dont give a shit about tom ricketts bank account, nor have I mentioned his name. This team investing a fortune in money and years in Carlos Correa seems premature to me.

The team has money to spend (400+ million in annual revenues) that they simply aren't spending now. Carlos Correa would be really fucking good for this team the next 3-5 years. Focus on that. Who gives a shit about 8-13 years from now? 25 million will probably be chump change then, especially with the gambling money coming in. They can afford to eat a bad Correa contract down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:17 pm 

I just took a closer look at Correa's numbers. He's hardly a HOF lock LOL. Good player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:19 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The team has money to spend (400+ million in annual revenues) that they simply aren't spending now. Carlos Correa would be really fucking good for this team the next 3-5 years. Focus on that. Who gives a shit about 8-13 years from now? 25 million will probably be chump change then, especially with the gambling money coming in. They can afford to eat a bad Correa contract down the road.

I'm very comfortable being on the opposite side of this argument with you, there will come a time to throw money around, this isn't the right time in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:22 pm 

They haven't spent money in four offseasons now. A top 5 market team operating like a bottom feeder. What makes you think they will spend at this arbitrary "future point in time" that you have set?.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Caller Bob wrote:
They haven't spent money in four offseasons now. A top 5 market team operating like a bottom feeder. What makes you think they will spend at this arbitrary "future point in time" that you have set?.

A bottom feeder is Baltimore whose budget last year was around $50M.

They tried extending Bryant, Baez, and Rizzo. Those players were not reasonable, and Boras got a hard on about Theo getting away with the 7th year. Right now, the only guys worth extending are Hoerner and Happ, and realistically it's too late for Happ because he was inconsistent back when they could have considered it.

The strategic mistake Theo made was to line up all the expiring contracts to end along with the CBA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:38 pm 

With a current payroll of 124 million they are actually closer to bottom feeder Baltimore than teams like the Dodgers/Mets/Yankees. This despite being a top 5 revenue team in baseball. It's really shameful what the Ricketts are pulling off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:38 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

I don't think this team is a bottom-feeder. Like you I have no idea what current ownership would do. Based on the team as I see it now, I wouldn't be throwing a massive contract at Carlos Correa. I would definitely be trying to improve the talent and depth of the team but not by recklessly throwing around blockbuster contracts to good players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:23 pm 

I just took a closer look at Correa's numbers. He's hardly a HOF lock LOL. Good player

if you just want to use WAR as a generic barometer, he's finished his age 27 season with 40 WAR. If he averages 2.5 WAR over the next 10 years then he's a 65 WAR guy. The average WAR of the SS in the HoF? yep, You guessed it 67.

Barring a major injury, Correa has a pretty clear path to the HoF. He's entering his age 28 season, time and prime years are on his side. I keep repeating it, but he's much younger than the conventional wisdom thinks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Kap slapped Jesse Rogers around and his "what people don't understand " bs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:30 pm 

One Post wrote:

if you just want to use WAR as a generic barometer, he's finished his age 27 season with 40 WAR. If he averages 2.5 WAR over the next 10 years then he's a 65 WAR guy. The average WAR of the SS in the HoF? yep, You guessed it 67.

Barring a major injury, Correa has a pretty clear path to the HoF. He's entering his age 28 season, time and prime years are on his side. I keep repeating it, but he's much younger than the conventional wisdom thinks.

He’s a good player, he isn’t a superstar. I’m happy for him and his war and his HOF prospects. Perhaps they will one day name a Cove after him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:07 am 

If it's 17.5 mil guaranteed over 2 years that's MLB chump change. A club 25 mil option year 2 makes the Bellinger signing look like a better gamble and Jed less a schmuck than a one year "pillow" contract as first reported.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:33 am 

Per GDubCub, they didn't even make an offer on Correa. I imagine you will see some "cancellations" of key people at the convention shortly. The Ricketts should be fine as long as they can bank on the hundreds of yuppies like Denis still flocking down every weekend to drop 3-5K on tickets, merchandise, food and hotel stays.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
vitoscotti wrote:
If it's 17.5 mil guaranteed over 2 years that's MLB chump change. A club 25 mil option year 2 makes the Bellinger signing look like a better gamble and Jed less a schmuck than a one year "pillow" contract as first reported.

You really have to read that as 17.5 with a mutual option for 20. Mutual options are an accounting trick and rarely exercised by both parties. Bellinger agrees to get $5M of his money deferred to next year to make it look like he did better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Caller Bob wrote:
Per GDubCub, they didn't even make an offer on Correa. I imagine you will see some "cancellations" of key people at the convention shortly. The Ricketts should be fine as long as they can bank on the hundreds of yuppies like Denis still flocking down every weekend to drop 3-5K on tickets, merchandise, food and hotel stays.

Never been to the convention. I do two out of town games per year. We are doing Toronto this year. I may hit London, but my normal group cannot make it there in June.

I went to zero Wrigley games last year, but I saw them twice in Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:38 pm 

From Gordon Wittenmyer.

... shortstop Carlos Correa agreed this week to a 13-year, $350 million contract with the Giants, without the Cubs so much as making an actual offer for the shortstop they considered their top target at last week's Winter Meetings, sources said.

The Cubs got no further in discussions with Correa than outlining ranges and parameters, said one industry source.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
vitoscotti wrote:
From Gordon Wittenmyer.

... shortstop Carlos Correa agreed this week to a 13-year, $350 million contract with the Giants, without the Cubs so much as making an actual offer for the shortstop they considered their top target at last week's Winter Meetings, sources said.

The Cubs got no further in discussions with Correa than outlining ranges and parameters, said one industry source.

I’m hoping Jed told Correa to go fuck himself with those terms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:07 pm 

Rick Camp is another loser obsessed with the Ricketts bottom line and not winning, Cubbie Nation is truly bizarre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:16 pm 

Not at all.

Fuck those massive 10 year contracts. Cost of doing business my ass. 3-5 owners being flush with Cash and completely lacking discretion does not mean you should just sign any and every player just because you can.

I don’t think the cubs as an organization is the destination it once was and ownership and the fan base is struggling to come to terms with that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:49 pm 

Yeah, it's not a destination because the owners are cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Never been to the convention. I do two out of town games per year. We are doing Toronto this year. I may hit London, but my normal group cannot make it there in June.

Are you really a yuppie?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
blackhawksfan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Are you really a yuppie?

He is no longer urban.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:23 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Not at all.

Fuck those massive 10 year contracts. Cost of doing business my ass. 3-5 owners being flush with Cash and completely lacking discretion does not mean you should just sign any and every player just because you can.

I don’t think the cubs as an organization is the destination it once was and ownership and the fan base is struggling to come to terms with that.

You think the Padres generate more free cash from baseball operations than the Cubs?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:48 pm 

The "Ricketts family session" is returning to the Cubs convention this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:51 pm 

pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Are you really a yuppie?

He is no longer urban.

No longer young either...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
One Post wrote:
pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Are you really a yuppie?

He is no longer urban.

No longer young either...

Lots of truth. I am nearly 50 and live in a rural area. But yes, my lifestyle has generally been that of a yuppie. deni$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:18 pm 

One Post wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Not at all.

You think the Padres generate more free cash from baseball operations than the Cubs?

Didn’t say that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:15 am 

Watch for the Cubs/Score/Marquee shills like Spiegel and Levine to push hard the Cubs "can't miss prospects" will be here soon. But, Cubs and other teams top prospects fail all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:36 am 

Crick Ramp wrote:
One Post wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:
Not at all.

Didn’t say that.

So as a Cubs fan you'd rather see the Rickets family take their cash flush organization and plow that cash into their bison ranch? Or Hotels?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next