It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BD wrote:
Why does Lawrence Holmes refer to every athlete, etc. by their first name? Is this another example of him trying to legitimize himself as somebody who is on a first name basis with everyone? I think it's odd to refer to athletes/coaches by their first name with rare exception (like LeBron) if you don't actually know them or have an actual relationship with them unless you're trying to fool people into thinking you do.

I was just thinking about the first-name thing, not with Laurence but with the NBA All-Star teams, which are advertising TEAM LeBRON and TEAM DURANT. On one hand, TEAM JAMES might have sounded weird, but they could have gone with TEAM KEVIN to be consistent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
BD wrote:
Another observation - the show is doing a lot more replay of interviews than it did in the past. This is Holmes' influence where he would do nothing but replays for most of his solo show because he thinks the audio is so powerful/amazing that it needs to come back a day later (and is already available on podcast).

totally agree; I generally use this show to fall asleep now. I didn't really realize how blah it is until I started listening to a YouTube collection of old Boers and Bernstein stuff. Some clips are at least 20 years old. So entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:44 am 

Lots of listeners not listening to this show.

Bernstein wins again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Good show Friday. Listened to the whole thing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:07 am 

Nardi wrote:

Cool.

I'm pretty sure I haven't turned on AM radio in at least 3 years. I'm just happy there are other people here that don't listen but can tell me what's talked about on Dan's show nearly everyday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Douchebag wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Cool.

I'm pretty sure I haven't turned on AM radio in at least 3 years. I'm just happy there are other people here that don't listen but can tell me what's talked about on Dan's show nearly everyday.

Not real difficult, it's almost a parody show at this point you have the white SJW guy and the angry black dude trying to prove their SJW bonafides each and ever segment, kind of like when callers (remember them?) would start a call with, "I'm a Bears season ticked holder", to supposedly give them sway with fans.

Usually scroll through the podcasts when pondering what to consume while out do cardio and never even make it to this show, maybe an NFL segment from the morning show, but almost entirely podcasts in areas of interest.

Light years away from the days of the Heavy Fuel crew when their NFL coverage was top notch and you didn't want to miss certain segments.

The days of "appointment radio" are not only gone, but it is really hard to find any content on WSCR that will inform or entertain you.

A sad end for a place that used to consitently provide you with entertaining or unique takes.

You see the type of contentious sports disagreements you used to hear daily today, but it's on the ESPN crap with crackpots like Bayless playing the North contrarian part poorly, even then it upsets the young people too much.

Guess it's kind of like watching a slow train wreck, you can either listen and enjoy the chaos of the crash unfolding or look away and wait to see what survives out of the debris, we will eventually get to the end game of AM talk radio as we know it, the question is what will be the next incarnation of local sports talk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Douchebag wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Cool.

Bernstein did an expert drawing and quartering of the Bulls GM. All 4 limbs came off whole. It was quite a sight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Wasn't he really excited about that guy and going out of his way to pronounce his weird Lithuanian name correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
the score used to play a 5 second clip, of his and leila's excited shock of the bulls acquiring vucevic. now vucevic isn't athletic enough and not a rim-protector.

never a big fan of vucevic but i like the fact that dan and leila took a stand and loved the vucevic acquisition. the fact that the team doesn't seem bothered to play defense is the reason the GM has to get launched? is it the lack of motivation playing defense or dan's current take that the bulls are not athletic enough to play defense? bulls are allowing about 4 points more per game, yoy, while this year's top defensive team (cavs) is allowing 5 more points per game than last year's best defensive club (miami).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

According to Dan Bernstein, he will judge the White Sox based on how they handle the Mike Clevinger sitation.

If he is camp this week, that means the White Sox don't care about the accusations. Even if there's nothing currently in the CBA, Bernstein expects Reinsdorf to call in favors to prevent Clevinger from playing. If he shows up to camp, the White Sox support child and woman abuse.

Also, Lawrence (and Spiegal) both continue to report that Clevinger was a bad person, but the only thing they refer to is Covid regulations that he broke. Does that make him a bad guy? Those covid polcies were bad regulations. These guys are still hung up on Covid and still side with the CDC on everything. Crazy.

Lawrecne thinks the White Sox should have known about the accusations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BD wrote:
Also, Lawrence (and Spiegal) both continue to report that Clevinger was a bad person, but the only thing they refer to is Covid regulations that he broke. Does that make him a bad guy? Those covid polcies were bad regulations. These guys are still hung up on Covid and still side with the CDC on everything. Crazy.

Yeah, Sir kept talking referring to him as a "bag," which may be true, but was he referencing Anthony Rizzo the same way?

I expect Reinsdorf to try to get out of paying most if not all of the $12m, as most of us would. If that means the guy is allowed to wear the uniform for a few days until the process plays out, so be it. Dan and Laurence seemed to be saying Reinsdorf should just write the full check today to make him go away. We know that's not happening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hahn etc talking in spring training and so we are off on the Clevenger soap opera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 pm 

whatsamotta_u wrote:
BD wrote:
Another observation - the show is doing a lot more replay of interviews than it did in the past. This is Holmes' influence where he would do nothing but replays for most of his solo show because he thinks the audio is so powerful/amazing that it needs to come back a day later (and is already available on podcast).

totally agree; I generally use this show to fall asleep now. I didn't really realize how blah it is until I started listening to a YouTube collection of old Boers and Bernstein stuff. Some clips are at least 20 years old. So entertaining.

Used to listen to Uncle Milt on WGN as a kid when I couldn't sleep, there were times I would wake up in the middle of the night to the bizarre world of Eddie Schwartz, now you just play the sound of falling rain on your phone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Cool.

Not real difficult, it's almost a parody show at this point you have the white SJW guy and the angry black dude trying to prove their SJW bonafides each and ever segment, kind of like when callers (remember them?) would start a call with, "I'm a Bears season ticked holder", to supposedly give them sway with fans.

Usually scroll through the podcasts when pondering what to consume while out do cardio and never even make it to this show, maybe an NFL segment from the morning show, but almost entirely podcasts in areas of interest.

Light years away from the days of the Heavy Fuel crew when their NFL coverage was top notch and you didn't want to miss certain segments.

The days of "appointment radio" are not only gone, but it is really hard to find any content on WSCR that will inform or entertain you.

A sad end for a place that used to consitently provide you with entertaining or unique takes.

You see the type of contentious sports disagreements you used to hear daily today, but it's on the ESPN crap with crackpots like Bayless playing the North contrarian part poorly, even then it upsets the young people too much.

Guess it's kind of like watching a slow train wreck, you can either listen and enjoy the chaos of the crash unfolding or look away and wait to see what survives out of the debris, we will eventually get to the end game of AM talk radio as we know it, the question is what will be the next incarnation of local sports talk.

This current show isn't far off from how the Goff version was with SJW comments now being made multiple times a show. If you combine that with two hosts who are unlikable, and arrogant, plus Holmes trying to slow talk and impress Bernstein at all times, this is a pretty tough listen.

Now we're probably preparing for a mix of Mike Clevinger radio to hammer the White Sox every day for the next 2 months with Bears off-season talk (which should receive a lot of attention).

Even when they are sticking to NFL talk, etc., Holmes has some of the worst takes and we now have an off-season coming of bad takes. It's ok to be a fan of Justin Fields, but he is not currently better than Jalen Hurts and, after he comped Bryce Young to Drew Brees (future HOF), he still wouldn't consider trading Fields. He must have Fields as an all-time great QB...the list goes on and on of just horrible takes by a guy who likes to remind us of his relationship with Lovie or Kenny Williams, replaying interviews he just did a day before, doing the lazy "how can the Super Bowl teams teach us how the Bears should rebuild" takes, bringing Justin Fields into every topic...

If these guys could just talk sports without trying to remind of that they are amazing journalists, leave the politics/SJW out of every topic, it wouldn't be a bad show, but they are emboldened again to turn their show into a sports version of MSNBC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
What an upgrade Grote and Thayer filling in for Larry Holmes and Bernstein today..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: coal fire
vitoscotti wrote:
What an upgrade Grote and Thayer filling in for Larry Holmes and Bernstein today..

a goldfish would be an improvement

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
I have finally broken off contact from this show, and every other show on WSCR. It happened about a week ago. There is simply nothing worth listening to. This is largely due to the sports desert that is super bowl monday to draft day, as i do not care about NBA. As soon as the NFL soap opera ceases to provide entertainment, i am out. I think this marks the first full week of not turning on the radio/twitch to listen. It's over, at least until draft day. The bears owning the 1 pick will probably get me back as we approach free agency, but it will be short lived, and as soon as the draft ends i dont see a real attraction for me to return to the radio. Because this station has already told you what it will be. In the absence of actual news, we already know what they will do to fill the time. More boring drivel from echo chamber hosts who feel a need to verbally blow themselves to remind them they are doing some sort of noble service, specifically b&h. They know what they are doing, and they might be aware of the inherent futility of their efforts, and they might even be aware of how detrimental it might be in a world full of competitors who understand sports talk is supposed to be fundamentally entertaining. But they will continue this bullshit, whistling past the graveyard, either because they see the writing on the wall and know audacy will go belly up, or they sincerely believe this product has enough of a following to continue being the windsocks they are. Either way, this company and this medium deserves whatever they get. If you see the train coming, and you dont get out of the way, who is going to feel sorry for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:31 am 

Larry should not be able to host this show with Leila by himself. He is just too damn weird and creepy. Almost feel bad for Leila to have to deal with him

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
TriColoredPastas wrote:
I have finally broken off contact from this show, and every other show on WSCR. It happened about a week ago. There is simply nothing worth listening to. This is largely due to the sports desert that is super bowl monday to draft day, as i do not care about NBA. As soon as the NFL soap opera ceases to provide entertainment, i am out. I think this marks the first full week of not turning on the radio/twitch to listen. It's over, at least until draft day. The bears owning the 1 pick will probably get me back as we approach free agency, but it will be short lived, and as soon as the draft ends i dont see a real attraction for me to return to the radio. Because this station has already told you what it will be. In the absence of actual news, we already know what they will do to fill the time. More boring drivel from echo chamber hosts who feel a need to verbally blow themselves to remind them they are doing some sort of noble service, specifically b&h. They know what they are doing, and they might be aware of the inherent futility of their efforts, and they might even be aware of how detrimental it might be in a world full of competitors who understand sports talk is supposed to be fundamentally entertaining. But they will continue this bullshit, whistling past the graveyard, either because they see the writing on the wall and know audacy will go belly up, or they sincerely believe this product has enough of a following to continue being the windsocks they are. Either way, this company and this medium deserves whatever they get. If you see the train coming, and you dont get out of the way, who is going to feel sorry for you?

Jason Goff thanks you for stopping by

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:00 pm 

Today we reviewed candy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
pittmike wrote:
Today we reviewed candy.

i want more Clevinger talk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Bagels wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Today we reviewed candy.

WNBA talk doesn't tickle your fancy?

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:12 pm 

did anyone catch larry bragging about getting a suite for the beyonce concert with his tv producer?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
papa_bear wrote:
did anyone catch larry bragging about getting a suite for the beyonce concert with his tv producer?

I hope that guy is very appreciative of Larry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:02 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Bagels wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Today we reviewed candy.

WNBA talk doesn't tickle your fancy?

The Clevinger stuff is odd, but it makes for an easy show for our heroes, just rail on and on about how offended they are, weeks and weeks of easy content for a group that struggles to find content.

The show is almost a parody at this point, who can be more offended, who can be more of an SJW warrior, just two dudes trying to prove their SJW bonafides to impress their peer group, not really a show for the general public, but a show for a narrow target audience. Some of the dullest sports talk radio in the history of the station. Instead of "light 'em up like Christmas trees", we get imaginary texts from Dan and Larry's imaginary friends, who shockingly agree with them totally on everything. Someone put this show out of its misery and let Dan go off and do NPR like he has always wanted to do and Larry can teach at one of the media schools they run commercials for every five minutes, then the world would be in proper order.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:29 am 

The hiring of Parkins was the station's poor quality final nail in the coffin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:37 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
papa_bear wrote:

I hope that guy is very appreciative of Larry.

Did he not make it clear enough it was a women?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:01 pm 

Strange segment with Bernstein & Larry Holmes playing a clip with people complaining about the noise pickleball creates. Larry is fake laughing telling Bernstein "these are your people"! While this is going on Bernstein is doing a white guy voice mocking people who complain about crime comparing them to the pickleball people. Bernstein came off as if he was mocking the violent crime problem. Really a bad look.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Strange segment with Bernstein & Larry Holmes playing a clip with people complaining about the noise pickleball creates. Larry is fake laughing telling Bernstein "these are your people"! While this is going on Bernstein is doing a white guy voice mocking people who complain about crime comparing them to the pickleball people. Bernstein came off as if he was mocking the violent crime problem. Really a bad look.

Yeah it was. Then I presume they were getting on Vallas for residency stuff? They sounded like they’d rather Lightfoot stay on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Turned on two days ago in the car. Been over a year since I have heard Bernstein and Larry. With the Bears No. 1 pick I have podcast Parkins and Spiegs and actually find Parkins to be pretty good.

That said the segment was on Bomani Jones "owning an issue" or something to the effect and I turned it off. It did make me laugh.

I would imagine listening to Bernstein(who was my favorite radio guy in Chicago back in he mid 2000s) is comparable to Clockward Orange hostage situation.
Larry is flat out weird and Dan just sailed off years ago into far left twitter rabbit holes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 94  Next