It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:54 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
https://fb.watch/k0WrgJN7hn/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Yeah, it's LaRussa's fault these guys suck. How dumb must a person be to believe that?

dan bernstein is the living embodiment of the "mediocre white man."

I think he becomes more embittered each time he sees guys like Mike Greenberg, Max Kellerman or even a non Tribe member Nick Wright getting parades of national TV shows and podcasts with both fans and detractors, whereas his diminishing paycheck only covers him doing a risky dink local radio show where his bona fides are questioned after thirty years and his hot takes are ridiculed. And fans seem few and far between. Plus I think it bothers him that those guys actually bring a diverse group of insightful athletes to their shows and seem to be you know, friends/friendly.

Does he even reference his wife's wedding business any longer, or is that another shortcoming in their home as well?

Seth Davis is the one that really makes him jealous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Knowing nothing about the guy, I’d think somebody like Greenberg would drive him nuts due to money alone.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, it's LaRussa's fault these guys suck. How dumb must a person be to believe that?

They both just sound silly in that clip.

Speigel and/or Parkins called someone a "mediocre white man", too. Any white guy at that station calling someone else a "mediocre white man" is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Speigel and/or Parkins called someone a "mediocre white man", too. Any white guy at that station calling someone else a "mediocre white man" is ridiculous.

Do you think Spiegel and Parkins would ever utter the words “mediocre black guy “in reference to a black sports figure or would the words kinda get stuck in their throats ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
To imply that the “LaRussa effect” (if there was one) is bleeding into this year is just absurd and Bernstein should be embarrassed for that take.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Managers don’t matter, I thought?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
denisdman wrote:

Depends on the manager and if Dan likes him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nardi wrote:
Exit velocity on that post was 119.

Reader got all of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Franky T wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Depends on the manager and if Dan likes him.

Ding.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
To imply that the “LaRussa effect” (if there was one) is bleeding into this year is just absurd and Bernstein should be embarrassed for that take.

that's going to be the general take, guaranteed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do you think Spiegel and Parkins would ever utter the words “mediocre black guy “in reference to a black sports figure or would the words kinda get stuck in their throats ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
denisdman wrote:

They don't. So how could LaRussa have destroyed the organization? Not to mention the team was better both years he was here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

They don't. So how could LaRussa have destroyed the organization? Not to mention the team was better both years he was here.

Maybe it's like presidents and the economy where La Russa's impact can't be felt and fully assessed until after he's gone. When it seemed like he made the team better, that was just drafting off Renteria. Or something.

Also, I remember "managers can't win you games but they can lose them" being an old B&B talking point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Maybe it's like presidents and the economy where La Russa's impact can't be felt and fully assessed until after he's gone. When it seemed like he made the team better, that was just drafting off Renteria. Or something.

Also, I remember "managers can't win you games but they can lose them" being an old B&B talking point.

This is the moment we were discussing on page 16 of this thread. My take was he was more kvetching about the TLR hire than seriously claiming that the hire was still screwing up the team. However, it was an absolute Dan Bernstein bingo card moment. He went through all his greatest hits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

This is the moment we were discussing on page 16 of this thread. My take was he was more kvetching about the TLR hire than seriously claiming that the hire was still screwing up the team. However, it was an absolute Dan Bernstein bingo card moment. He went through all his greatest hits.

He's grinding an axe because he has- or believes he has- a political beef with LaRussa.

The idea that Grifol is a "better" manager than LaRussa, even if LaRussa is drunk and half awake, is preposterous. That isn't even really a knock on Grifol. Obviously, LaRussa is just eminently more experienced. If their players didn't suck either one of them could win.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He's grinding an axe because he has- or believes he has- a political beef with LaRussa.

The idea that Grifol is a "better" manager than LaRussa, even if LaRussa is drunk and half awake, is preposterous. That isn't even really a knock on Grifol. Obviously, LaRussa is just eminently more experienced. If their players didn't suck either one of them could win.

I don't think it's preposterous. He's just another boomer who thought all he had to do is show up and people will bow. You think Biden, Pelosi, and Feinstein are on their games? I coached for like 15 years. I'd be a shadow of myself if I did it now. C'mon, he had no business in that dugout shitting his pants. Frankly, I'm a little shocked we all haven't been lined up against a wall and shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He's grinding an axe because he knows it will elicit an emotional response from the audience, that's why he used "mediocre white people" and the dumb guy Chicago accent voice. He probably legitimately doesn't like LaRussa, but not enough to be beating his dead carcass 6+ months after he left town.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He's grinding an axe because he knows it will elicit an emotional response from the audience, that's why he used "mediocre white people" and the dumb guy Chicago accent voice. He probably legitimately doesn't like LaRussa, but not enough to be beating his dead carcass 6+ months after he left town.

Probably true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

LaRussa was a bad manager and the wrong choice. However, the issues with the team look to be much deeper than who the manager is.

It wasn't long ago that Bernstein preached that the manager didn't matter. All it took was someone with different political positions for that opinion to change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I’m sure that AJ Hinch would’ve had the team cheating their way to 95 wins every year had they hired him.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:21 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
I’m sure that AJ Hinch would’ve had the team cheating their way to 95 wins every year had they hired him.

I’d have been fine with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
so, do managers matter or not? isnt bernstein the same guy that exhaustively reminds people that the manager doesnt matter and if they do, its like 10 games over the stretch of a season?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:47 pm 

I’m watching an NBA halftime show where Greenberg says nothing while making millions. No way Bernstein isn’t envious of a contemporary tribesman making millions to do nothing while covering basketball.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’m watching an NBA halftime show where Greenberg says nothing while making millions. No way Bernstein isn’t envious of a contemporary tribesman making millions to do nothing while covering basketball.

And being pissed about it because he has great basketball "insight".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Franky T wrote:

And being pissed about it because he has great basketball "insight".

Pick and pop!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

Dan chose to end up being the smart kid in the dumb row.

He can't say that I didn't tell him to his face this would end up being his career arc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:48 am 

Seacrest wrote:
He can't say that I didn't tell him to his face this would end up being his career arc.

He can't say that because it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

He can't say that because it didn't happen.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Can remember a young Dan as an intrepid Bears reporter, he would come on with his odd takes and be mocked by Pappy, Mac, and Murph, an entertainingly odd guy with strange sports thoughts, but a good reporter.

Then we had him with Uncle Terry, at first it was fairly entertaining, more Terry than Dan, then morphed into an odd show where the hosts hyper fixated on topics and droned on and on for hours.

We then had the disaster with Goff, one of the shortest pairings in the history of the station, other than Hamp and Holmes, odd how that Holmes guy keeps getting chances to fail.

Yet another failed short lived pairing with McKnight in which they tried to out liberal each other while boring the audience.

Now we have the Dan and Larry extravaganza, not sure how long this one goes, but maybe the only place in the world where two adult males who are allegedly competent cognitively can fill a complete hour talking about the evil Tony LaRussa, nobody else in the world cares enough to talk for five minutes about the topic than these two.

What a career, amazed the guy has been able to last this long in this market.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
so, do managers matter or not? isnt bernstein the same guy that exhaustively reminds people that the manager doesnt matter and if they do, its like 10 games over the stretch of a season?

The manager only matters if you oppose their political positions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 94  Next