It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
Mac's love toy Rivera got promoted today???? Because the defense he's part of sucks? How the hell does that make sense?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

I'm sure Mac and the crew will say it's great that Rivera's getting another chance blah blah blah. Ron is probably a nice guy but as a coach he sucks. Good Riddance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You're a day late and a dollar short.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:
Mac's love toy Rivera got promoted today???? Because the defense he's part of sucks? How the hell does that make sense?

I'm sure Mac and the crew will say it's great that Rivera's getting another chance blah blah blah. Ron is probably a nice guy but as a coach he sucks. Good Riddance.

Ya, that Ron Rivera... He's only been to SIX Conference Championship Games in the past SEVEN years (4 with Philly, 1 with Chicago and 1 with San Diego). Man alive he sucks.

Quick question Thug, since you're the authority on Ron Rivera:

Was it Ron Rivera's defense that lost the Super Bowl and Lovie Smith's defense that dominated the league back in '06? It seems when things go great - it's Lovie's Cover Two (even though it's really not 'his' defense). But when the Bears get torched by Steve Smith of Carolina, and picked apart by Peyton Manning in the playoffs - it's all Ron Rivera's fault. How has the Bears defense done under Bob Lovie'sBitch Babich the past two years? Just curious, and don't give me any BS about injuries, as they got to the Super Bowl without Tommie Harris's and Mike Brown's services.

Ron Rivera will be the next head coach of the Bears - so grow to embrace him. He fits all three criteria:

A) He has ties to the organization
B) He comes from a rich coaching tradition
C) He's never been an NFL Head Coach, so he'll be affordable.

One other side nugget - An unemployed Ron Rivera was paid MORE money as the Inside Linebacker's Coach for San Diego than he was as the Defensive Coordinator with the Bears.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I have always liked Chico too. I don't know if he will be the Bears next coach or not, but I will not be at all surprised if that SD defense plays much better under him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I have always liked Chico too. I don't know if he will be the Bears next coach or not, but I will not be at all surprised if that SD defense plays much better under him.

Why don't you call mac and tell him that?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:15 pm 

I already called to talk about last nights Bulls game, it's the topic of the day. Chico was a good topic for yesterday or Monday especially. But today, its the Bulls. I prefer to be up to date/current in my discussions. If you feel strongly about it, you should call yourself. I have no trouble finding topics for discussion or in deciding what I care to bring up/join in, on MJH.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I already called to talk about last nights Bulls game, it's the topic of the day. Chico was a good topic for yesterday or Monday especially. But today, its the Bulls. I prefer to be up to date/current in my discussions. If you feel strongly about it, you should call yourself. I have no trouble finding topics for discussion or in deciding what I care to bring up/join in, on MJH.

Cool.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Well at least some sports talk radio show based in Chicago is talking about the Bulls....B&B want to talk about the Sox, and The Bears...and the few minutes that they gave to the Bulls was like "yeah, the won. So what?"..... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:48 pm 

spmack wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Well at least some sports talk radio show based in Chicago is talking about the Bulls....B&B want to talk about the Sox, and The Bears...and the few minutes that they gave to the Bulls was like "yeah, the won. So what?"..... :roll:

Derek Rose was really fun to watch last night. From what I have already seen from him, (as I said on the radio) he has the kind of quickness to get to the basket. He has the explosive first step, that will not only get him in the paint, but will cause defenders to leave their man, to provide some help to the guy Rose gets by. this will lead to a lot more open jump shots. In the past few seasons the point was such a weakness. Hinrich was just not quick enough. Not on offense and not defending. thats why he was always getting in foul trouble. Well, that and his stupid habit of reaching in too much. But Rose is going to give fans reason to follow the team. It's going to be fun watching this kid develop.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:55 pm 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
Thug wrote:

Ya, that Ron Rivera... He's only been to SIX Conference Championship Games in the past SEVEN years (4 with Philly, 1 with Chicago and 1 with San Diego). Man alive he sucks.

Was it Ron Rivera's defense that lost the Super Bowl and Lovie Smith's defense that dominated the league back in '06? It seems when things go great - it's Lovie's Cover Two (even though it's really not 'his' defense). But when the Bears get torched by Steve Smith of Carolina, and picked apart by Peyton Manning in the playoffs - it's all Ron Rivera's fault. How has the Bears defense done under Bob Lovie'sBitch Babich the past two years? Just curious, and don't give me any BS about injuries, as they got to the Super Bowl without Tommie Harris's and Mike Brown's services.

Ron Rivera will be the next head coach of the Bears - so grow to embrace him. He fits all three criteria:

One other side nugget - An unemployed Ron Rivera was paid MORE money as the Inside Linebacker's Coach for San Diego than he was as the Defensive Coordinator with the Bears.

Big deal, Rivera's been part of teams that have had success because they've had all-stars on the defensive side of the ball. The second one of those all-stars goes down (ie Merriman) it's over. Rivera can't coach his way out of a paper bag or a playoff game.

I thought Mongo was the one 85 Bear who was milking his association to that team the most until now.

The DC got fired in SD because they were not getting pressure on the QB. In the 3-4 it's the LBs who provide the pressure. So how is it the guy who's responsible for the lack luster performance on the field gets a promotion?

This not a commentary on Bobby Babs.

Frankly, I don't care what the coaching staff is paid as long as they get the job done. JA has put the team salary cap over 97% 4 or 5 years in a row. IMO McKasey's have done a good job of running the team since 2000. Anyone who thinks otherwise lives in the past.

And for the record I like Lovie over the alternatives of Shaye, Shoope, and Wanny. Lovie's lack of half time adjustments make me want to kill him sometimes but overall he's a pretty good coach. If I could have my pick of the litter though I'd go with Bill Cowher in a NY minute.

Last edited by Thug on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

Has there been any talk of the upcoming ZEPPELIN tour on the show so far today?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:
Thug wrote:

Big deal, Rivera's been part of teams that have had success because they've had all-stars on the defensive side of the ball. The second one of those all-stars goes down (ie Merriman) it's over. Rivera can't coach his way out of a paper bag or a playoff game.

I thought Mongo was the one 85 Bear who was milking his association to that team the most until now.

The DC got fired in SD because they were not getting pressure on the QB. In the 3-4 it's the LBs who provide the pressure. So how is it the guy who's responsible for the lack luster performance on the field gets a promotion?

This not a commentary on Bobby Babs.

Frankly, I don't care what the coaching staff is paid as long as they get the job done. JA has put the team salary cap over 97% 4 or 5 years in a row. IMO McKasey's have done a good job of running the team since 2000. Anyone who thinks otherwise lives in the past.

And for the record I like Lovie over the alternatives of Shaye, Shoope, and Wanny. Lovie's lack of half time adjustments make me want to kill him sometimes but overall he's a pretty good coach. If I could have my pick of the litter though I'd go with Bill Cowher in a NY minute.

...and how has the Bears defense done since Rivera's left Thug?

Ron Rivera only coached the INSIDE linebackers in San Diego - so it's not his fault the secondary is the worst in the league, and the Chargers haven't had a sack or INT in 9 quarters.

I certainly hope you like Lovie more than Shoope and Terry Shaye (sic) - they were awful Offensive Coordinators brainiac. I fail to understand your point on that one.

Lovie Smith is one of the highest paid Head Coaches in the NFL, so 'a pretty good coach' doesn't cut it. He gave Rivera a raw deal and this team's defense (you know, the Bears who all pretty much got 'new money') has regressed since Rivera was shown the door.

The McCaskeys haven't done the job either champ. The Bears assistant coaches and scouting department are amongst the lowest paid in the NFL. There's no salary cap for front office employees, scouts or coaches. This isn't lost on the McCaskeys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Cool.

Nice try, darko. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 am 

...and how has the Bears defense done since Rivera's left Thug?

Not so great hovering around the middle of the pack statistically. I think that's a better question for the heart of our defense. Harris, Urlacher, and Brown have all been below average this year (& that's being kind).

Ron Rivera only coached the INSIDE linebackers in San Diego - so it's not his fault the secondary is the worst in the league, and the Chargers haven't had a sack or INT in 9 quarters.

No secondary can cover forever. The problem comes from the pass rush. Albeit the secondary is suspect also.

I certainly hope you like Lovie more than Shoope and Terry Shaye (sic) - they were awful Offensive Coordinators brainiac. I fail to understand your point on that one.

You were drawing some conclusions about the future HC. Probably not you but others ride Lovie too hard IMO. He's got his faults but he's the best HC we've had in a long time. I'm just saying he beats the alternatives we've had in the past. I like how the whole damn city was pissed at the Bears for not giving Lovie a contract extension right after the SB when Lovie had one more year on his contract. Then when the Bears are struggling last year those same knuckleheads are calling for Lovie's job.

The McCaskeys haven't done the job either champ. The Bears assistant coaches and scouting department are amongst the lowest paid in the NFL. There's no salary cap for front office employees, scouts or coaches. This isn't lost on the McCaskeys.

Ok I'll concede the McCaskeys are tight when it comes to the staff but the following is undisputed facts. Since 2000.

- New stadium
- Large contract extension to Lovie
- Contract extension to Jerry Angelo
- Resigning of Dave Toub (ST coach)
- Annually over 97% salary cap space
- Long term contracts to core players
- New indoor practice facility. (named after Walter)
- New training camp. (I’m not sure how much of an upgrade this was… at least camp is no longer behind enemy lines :) )

If you haven't noticed the McKasey's haven't been sitting on their asses the last decade. And it's about time to give them some credit. Oh no, it was Ted Phillips who built the stadium. Its JA who built the team... man people need to let go of the 86-99 era. It's a new day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:
Ok I'll concede the McCaskeys are tight when it comes to the staff but the following is undisputed facts. Since 2000.

- New stadium
- Large contract extension to Lovie
- Contract extension to Jerry Angelo
- Resigning of Dave Toub (ST coach)
- Annually over 97% salary cap space
- Long term contracts to core players
- New indoor practice facility. (named after Walter)
- New training camp. (I’m not sure how much of an upgrade this was… at least camp is no longer behind enemy lines :) )

If you haven't noticed the McKasey's haven't been sitting on their asses the last decade. And it's about time to give them some credit. Oh no, it was Ted Phillips who built the stadium. Its JA who built the team... man people need to let go of the 86-99 era. It's a new day.

New stadium - partially funded by the taxpayers
Extensions to Lovie, Angelo, Toub and Phillips - not to mention Turner - they were in the Super Bowl, weren't they. Getting back to your ORIGINAL point on this thread - why no extension for Rivera? Because he challenged Lovie - whereas Bob LoviesBitch is Lovie's cabana boy who falls into line
Salary cap space - all NFL teams have to be within a certain percentage of the cap - the Bears are rarely IF EVER over the cap in need of cutting anybody (not a big deal to me)
Long term contracts to core players - indesputable
New indoor facility - a necessity to attract free agents in the modern day NFL
New training camp - camp was made MANDATORY by the state to be in ILLINOIS. If the taxpayers were helping pay for the stadium, the Bears had to have camp in the state of Illinois.

So Thug - I'm not really disagreeing with too much of your last thread - however - your thoughts on Ron Rivera in your original post are misguided. As a coach Ron Rivera does NOT suck. He was simply NOT the guy Lovie originally wanted - so Lovie was going to flex some of his power and get rid of the media darling Ron Rivera and promote his butt buddy - which not so coincidentally also gave Angelo/Phillips more money to pay him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 pm 

When Rivera's defense was loaded with all-stars and healthy the defense was good. If you want to define good coaching by regular season achievement Ron's your guy. But continue the ypg & pts allowed to the full conclusion of the season. ('05 & '06 was when the defense was "good" under RR).

05 defensive ypg allowed regular season = 281
05 points allowed per game regular season = 12.6
05 defensive ypg allowed post season = 434
05 points allowed per game post season = 29

06 defensive ypg allowed regular season = 294
06 points allowed per game regular season = 15.9
06 defensive ypg allowed post season = 370
06 points allowed per game post season = 22.3

I thought the saying was "Defense wins championships".

Btw the current defense is playing better then Rivera's post season defense.
08 defensive ypg allowed regular season = 329
08 points allowed per game regular season = 21.4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 pm 

Thug, you do know that in the playoffs, the Bears were playing playoff teams, right? Those teams had playoff offenses. Carolina, Seattle, New Orleans, Indy...those were pretty good offensive teams. It's only natural that those teams would put up better numbers on the Bears than, say, the Lions. In the Carolina game, they got beat by a freak of an athlete in Steve Smith. In the New Orleans game, the Saints got a big chunk on one play from Reggie Bush. In the Super Bowl, Daneal Manning effed up, and Peyton Manning (a top 5 all time QB by any measure) picked them apart. Not to mention that they were without Tommie Harris and Mike Brown, and they were running on fumes at the end of the year from carrying an inept offense. You used a lot of numbers in your arguement. Maybe try common sense next time.
It seems like you have something personal against Ron Rivera. Why? He's a good guy and a good coach.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Thug, please move back to your home town. Your depriving a village of it's home grown idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 am 

Thug, please move back to your home town. Your depriving a village of it's home grown idiot.

Your credential of having a football related nickname proves nothing. You head is so far up Mac's ass its no wonder you can't see things objectively.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:23 am 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
It seems like you have something personal against Ron Rivera. Why? He's a good guy and a good coach.

I don't have a thing against Rivera personally. I just think he gets WAY too much praise for a shitty job he's done here in Chicago.

Playoff opponents mean something? It comes down to defense. Case in point.
2007 NYG over the most explosive offense of all time. Allowing the least pts scored during playoffs.
2006 Colts having the best defense during the playoffs
2005 Seahawks make the SB with the 3rd best post season defense, fewest pts allowed per game.

In the era of the QB, the Bears elected to focus on defense and gave the keys to Rivera. He did not produce results. I'm 100% sure if Rivera went to Philly where the front 7 is virtually all-pro he'd do well there too. In Rivera's case it's the team that made the coach.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:52 am 

Thug wrote:
In the era of the QB, the Bears elected to focus on defense and gave the keys to Rivera. He did not produce results. I'm 100% sure if Rivera went to Philly where the front 7 is virtually all-pro he'd do well there too. In Rivera's case it's the team that made the coach.

I'm still not sure how two straight trips to the playoffs, including one to the Super Bowl, isn't considered producing results. Those Bears teams over-achieved BECAUSE of their defense. Not inspite of it. They went to the playoffs with a rookie 4th round QB and Rex Grossman, with no playmakers on offense. Anyway you slice it, those are results by the defense. I'm still failing to see your logic. Just because they didn't win the Super Bowl doesn't mean that it's all Ron Rivera's fault and he's not a good coach.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:03 am 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:

Your credential of having a football related nickname proves nothing. You head is so far up Mac's ass its no wonder you can't see things objectively.

Where my head is located is irrelevant when regarding you trying to back off of your original point, by changing subjects to the McCaskeys spending and where the Bears focus on spending their money.

"Ron (Rivera) is probably a nice guy but as a coach he sucks". - Thug

So please - get your mind back on track of defending this idiotic comment.

6 Conference Championship Games in 7 Years. I stand behind that FACT - and the opinions of many NFL pundits that EVERYBODY (other than Lovie and Babich) thought Rivera got railroaded by Lovie. Hell, even Briggs is in the Sun Times in support of Rivera today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Regardless of how good or bad Chico may or may not be, the following is true:

Ron Rivera > Bob Babich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:22 am 

Thug wrote:

Where my head is located is irrelevant when regarding you trying to back off of your original point, by changing subjects to the McCaskeys spending and where the Bears focus on spending their money.

"Ron (Rivera) is probably a nice guy but as a coach he sucks". - Thug

So please - get your mind back on track of defending this idiotic comment.

6 Conference Championship Games in 7 Years. I stand behind that FACT - and the opinions of many NFL pundits that EVERYBODY (other than Lovie and Babich) thought Rivera got railroaded by Lovie. Hell, even Briggs is in the Sun Times in support of Rivera today.

Last points because I know in 2 months time we'll see that the SD defense will continue to suck. Then you have all off season to tell me how great Rivera is and how he's going to restore the mighty Charger defense to glory as soon as Merriman gets healthy. (which is my point anyways).

6 Conference Championship Game = 1 SB appearance + 0 rings. Why do you insist giving Rivera credit for doing anything outside of Chicago anyways? He was a LB coach at Philly and a LB coach up to now w/ SD. Hardly a position of influence with the exception that his LBs failed to get pressure in the 3-4 scheme and got Ted Cottrell fired.

I stand behind that FACT - 24 post season points allowed per game when Rivera had the responsibility of defensive coordinator.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thug, you're simply flaming with no knowledge.

usually in the 3-4 the 'pass rushing LB' is an outside backer. They also didn't miss a beat last year despite losing the services of Donnie Edwards. Cooper/Wilhelm did fine in their first season under Rivera: 108 and 97 tackles respectfully. Cooper spent the first four games this year suspended.

Thug, keep digging yourself a deeper hole. I find it very amusing.

RIGHT now the Chargers are the 28th ranked defense.
24.9 pts per game
371 yards per game

Let's see how much that improves under a 'half season' under Rivera.

Factually speaking the Bears defense SHIT down their leg immediately after Rivera got ass fucked by Lovie Smith. So despite whatever drivel you throw out there, the Bears defense REGRESSED under the helm of Lovie/Babich. INDISPUTABLE!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Since Rivera left the Bears defense has been woefully unprepared and sloppy. Whether it is taking a bad angle, over running a target, or not wrapping up. Injuries have played a part but it was small.

I always felt like it has been Lovie's defense we've been watching. I blame the Carolina loss and some of the Superbowl loss on him, even though that is also part of what got them there. Bob Babich blows, and if you think he did a better job than Rivera, you are wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sidney Dean said it best in White Men Can't Jump: Listen to the woman!

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:11 pm 

The point of this thread has nothing to do with Bobby B. But if you want to talk about this years defense ok?

This years defense is not as bad as some would like to make it. We lead the NFC North in fewest points allowed. The rush defense is 6th best in the league. AD is the only guy to top 100 yards rushing, and that includes Michael Turner, The Daily Show, and Ernest Graham.

The weakness of the defense has been our all-stars Harris, Urlacher, and Brown. 54 has been playing like crap lately. Last 3 games he has 16 tackles, 0 ints, 0 sacks, 0 ff, 0 fumble recoveries.

The passing defense is the teams biggest weakness, ranked 29th. The only thing that's really keeping the defense in the middle of the pack is that we're 6th in turnovers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:
The point of this thread has nothing to do with Bobby B. But if you want to talk about this years defense ok?

This years defense is not as bad as some would like to make it. We lead the NFC North in fewest points allowed. The rush defense is 6th best in the league. AD is the only guy to top 100 yards rushing, and that includes Michael Turner, The Daily Show, and Ernest Graham.

The weakness of the defense has been our all-stars Harris, Urlacher, and Brown. 54 has been playing like crap lately. Last 3 games he has 16 tackles, 0 ints, 0 sacks, 0 ff, 0 fumble recoveries.

The passing defense is the teams biggest weakness, ranked 29th. The only thing that's really keeping the defense in the middle of the pack is that we're 6th in turnovers.

Wah Wah Wah... San Diego has played the top two offenses at Denver and New Orleans in London, and you don't see me making lame ass justifications like this crap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Quote:
This years defense is not as bad as some would like to make it.

Yes it is. 3 times this defense has stopped playing in the 4th quarter. They gave up almost 500 yds to Brian Griese. They lost a game in 11 seconds. They gave up 41 points last week. That is terrible.

Minnesota's rush defense is better than the Bears giving up 71 ypg to the Bears 86. How do you gloss over their passing defense ranked 29th? No not the worst in the NFC North, thank heavens for Detroit! Without that little detail they'd be great, too bad that it counts. A lot of their money is invested in the pass defense I'd like to see some more production. "We lead the NFC North" is a bad way to start a debate. The NFC North is bad.

It's not like they've been playing teams that are lighting up the football field offensively either. Philly is the only one in the top 10 ppg. And their opponents have been missing some of their top offensive players. This defense should be dominating and they are no where near it. Either they aged fast, are more injured than we know, their coaching stinks, or they are all a bunch of screw ups. They lack preparedness and basic fundementals of football. The defense carried them to the SB in 2006, what has changed?