It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Brick wrote:
This is a dumb question for sure but wouldn't the same logic let the Bears "sell" the land to the NFL for $1 and then the NFL sells it back to them for $10 and then the value of the land is suddenly $10?

That wouldn't change the assessment of the land, which is what the tax is based on. The Bears are being incredibly stupid about all of this but the last thing I read said there will be a board vote on it at the end of February and that should be that.

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:12 am 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Brick wrote:
This is a dumb question for sure but wouldn't the same logic let the Bears "sell" the land to the NFL for $1 and then the NFL sells it back to them for $10 and then the value of the land is suddenly $10?

That wouldn't change the assessment of the land, which is what the tax is based on. The Bears are being incredibly stupid about all of this but the last thing I read said there will be a board vote on it at the end of February and that should be that.

It would if they are factoring in the last purchase price though which they seem to be doing here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:13 pm 

Brick wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Brick wrote:

It would if they are factoring in the last purchase price though which they seem to be doing here.

has to be an arm's length transaction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The property tax law is based on fair market value. For residential buildings, they use recent sales of like properties. There is no comparable to Arlington Park, but the recent sale establishes fair market value.

What you are suggesting is a sham transaction. That’s not fair market value.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
denisdman wrote:
The property tax law is based on fair market value. For residential buildings, they use recent sales of like properties. There is no comparable to Arlington Park, but the recent sale establishes fair market value.

What you are suggesting is a sham transaction. That’s not fair market value.

Plus the McCaskeys probably used one-of-them no money down VA loans to buy the land and won’t own it outright til the 2050s.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
When home prices went down after the subprime crisis, I had the pleasure of going before the Kane County Review board to contest my property value. My main gripe is they assessed our houses higher in 2009 than 2008 when by all accounts values had fallen about 30%. I mostly lost the first time because my comps were distressed sales. I knocked out it of the park the next year having learned the system.

The three judges yelled at the assessor who contended his office did not have the resources to properly assess home values. The judges replied, why is that his fault. Knocked my home value down from about $450k to $375k. The third year, they sent notices telling people to just call the assessor instead of contesting. I did. On the spot they looked at comparables and knocked my value down to $320k.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Probably should be the same 95 million Churchhill paid. It wasn't used in 2022 or 2023.

It's worth what they paid for it. The McCaskeys are dolts. This was not the way to do business and they deserve to have it blow up in their faces. I hope it becomes the housing we need.

You have been a champion of the flawed idea that "Stadiums don't make money for cities" and yet the Bears try and do the right thing and build their own stadium with their own money and you are mad at them for not instead demanding $2 billion of taxpayer money to not play in the worst stadium in the NFL?

Instead, you want Arlington Heights to build another few subdivisions because there aren't nearly enough subdivisions in the area?

Brick wrote:
Sports stadiums lose money. The city should be happy the Bears are leaving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:43 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Probably should be the same 95 million Churchhill paid. It wasn't used in 2022 or 2023.

It's worth what they paid for it. The McCaskeys are dolts. This was not the way to do business and they deserve to have it blow up in their faces. I hope it becomes the housing we need.

You have been a champion of the flawed idea that "Stadiums don't make money for cities" and yet the Bears try and do the right thing and build their own stadium with their own money and you are mad at them for not instead demanding $2 billion of taxpayer money to not play in the worst stadium in the NFL?

Instead, you want Arlington Heights to build another few subdivisions because there aren't nearly enough subdivisions in the area?

Brick wrote:
Sports stadiums lose money. The city should be happy the Bears are leaving.

That was sarcasm but also isn't that the truth?

Why do you want the Bears to stay in Chicago in a publicly owned stadium?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:45 pm 

its cute you guys think arlington heights isnt in chicago

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:47 pm 

I play faster and looser with "what's considered Chicago" than the uptight fortysomething aging punks with flag tattoos who are perpetually mad at people from Naperville, but come on, stop trolling.

Arlington Heights just isn't designed for this. We're a big suburb that still acts and thinks like a cute little railroad town. We don't even have a true city government, we're a second-rate "village." We're getting rid of Friday night outdoor concerts in the summer because it's annoying how popular they are so now they're just going to be on Thursdays. I'm half-surprised we even put on the races with the roads around Arlington Park being what they are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Curious Hair wrote:
I play faster and looser with "what's considered Chicago" than the uptight fortysomething aging punks with flag tattoos who are perpetually mad at people from Naperville, but come on, stop trolling.

Arlington Heights just isn't designed for this. We're a big suburb that still acts and thinks like a cute little railroad town. We don't even have a true city government, we're a second-rate "village." We're getting rid of Friday night outdoor concerts in the summer because it's annoying how popular they are so now they're just going to be on Thursdays. I'm half-surprised we even put on the races with the roads around Arlington Park being what they are.

I never understood that, you're from where you're from.. if it's Elgin, Alsip or park ride..say that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 am 

312player wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I never understood that, you're from where you're from.. if it's Elgin, Alsip or park ride..say that.

Curious is from Wisconsin, so the obfuscation is understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:01 am 

I live down the road from Arlington Park. Don't stop by unannounced or anything, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
just a hop skip and a jump from Lake Geneva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Bagels wrote:
just a hop skip and a jump from Lake Geneva

43 minutes from Lakeview on Friday during rush hour in the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:47 am 

So basically, the Bears should instead get a $2 billion taxpayer funded stadium because Curious Hair believes he will be inconvenienced by them building their own stadium with their own money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:04 pm 

i dont care who pays for what. i want the stadium in an accessible place. where its at is a nightmare.

nobody goes to a packer game worrying about where to park, hang out, have fun. you dont need to plan anything. thats what i want the bears to be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Kevin Warren not making things happen. Wtf is he doing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Kevin Warren not making things happen. Wtf is he doing

My understanding is he’s waking up early and laying in bed for a while looking at his phone, which is very relatable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:55 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
As an aside, wouldn’t that overwhelm the school district?

I dunno. Glenview made it work. I think that's more or less the blueprint.

Glenview kind of fucked it up. They budgeted for one new school’s construction cost without getting funding for ongoing operation of the school, so they were effectively doing a proto-Lebron new school opening schtick without the Bernstein slobber.

The postscript saw them pull money from the budgets across the rest of the district over the next 20 years until they eventually passed a $100m referendum to cover the cost of making repairs they avoided because of the initial fuck up.

Hmm. Interesting.

Still, though, what else makes sense for that parcel of land, operating under the premise that a Football Money Extraction Zone most emphatically does not? The metropolitan area is designed to funnel everyone into a central location. It is not designed to get 70,000 people in and out of Arlington Heights.

Of course, in an ideal world, it would be the racecourse it's been for years and we wouldn't have to have this stupid discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:43 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I live down the road from Arlington Park. Don't stop by unannounced or anything, though.

You only tell people that for street cred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am 

So when do the Bears go for the killshot and say they are looking to sell the property to a low income housing builder?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am 

"Low income" these days is like$50k, bring it on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
As an aside, wouldn’t that overwhelm the school district?

I dunno. Glenview made it work. I think that's more or less the blueprint.

Glenview kind of fucked it up. They budgeted for one new school’s construction cost without getting funding for ongoing operation of the school, so they were effectively doing a proto-Lebron new school opening schtick without the Bernstein slobber.

The postscript saw them pull money from the budgets across the rest of the district over the next 20 years until they eventually passed a $100m referendum to cover the cost of making repairs they avoided because of the initial fuck up.

Hmm. Interesting.

Still, though, what else makes sense for that parcel of land, operating under the premise that a Football Money Extraction Zone most emphatically does not? The metropolitan area is designed to funnel everyone into a central location. It is not designed to get 70,000 people in and out of Arlington Heights.

Of course, in an ideal world, it would be the racecourse it's been for years and we wouldn't have to have this stupid discussion.

Physical location is very good and the highways are there in Arlington Heights. Still....the exit / entrance ramps are not even close to being sufficient. I've always said this is going to require major infrastructure work to pull off.

It is a fair point, though, to recognize the complete cluster that they've made Soldier Field in terms of access.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

No matter where they put the stadium they'll have to build up the infrastructure for a 70 thousand seat stadium. That goes without saying.

But Arlington Park is the spot with the most in place cuz they did have a structure that would get 25 thousand people at the race track. Ya know, on mothers and fathers day.

And yes, traffic will be a bitch around there. But traffic is a bitch at every stadium in every 70 thousand seat stadium on game day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:40 pm 

Beardown wrote:
No matter where they put the stadium they'll have to build up the infrastructure for a 70 thousand seat stadium. That goes without saying.

You can't widen Euclid, which has houses on either side, and you can't widen Northwest Highway, which has buildings on one side and the railroad on the other. It's just not going to work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

You can't widen Euclid, which has houses on either side, and you can't widen Northwest Highway, which has buildings on one side and the railroad on the other. It's just not going to work.

McCaskeys invoke eminent domain.

Steak dinner. Boom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: not Pequod's
I think the stadium was going in the NW corner...where the training track/barn area was. The main exit would be NW highway but obviously Euclid could be used.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

You could absolutely widen Euclid. The stretch by the park at least. Because they have trees on the North side that blocked the view to the race track. So starting by the courthouse going west they could expand that to 3 or 4 lanes. And they probably will when the new owner gets this done.

You're right about Northwest highway. The train tracks get in the way.

It can work. But yes, it will be slow. I don't know what world you live in that you think there should be no heavy traffic getting into 70k stadiums. Soldier Field sucks. But there is always 65k there. Some how they get their asses in the seats by noon despite the shitty traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
ShortTimeLurker wrote:
I think the stadium was going in the NW corner...where the training track/barn area was. The main exit would be NW highway but obviously Euclid could be used.

I am no architect but I wonder, can the NB route 53 exit ramp to NW highway be widened to two or three lanes and an underpass be built below NW highway and the tracks? That would allow NB stadium traffic to dump directly into stadium parking without getting tied up at the light at NW highway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next