It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Will Hunting
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Tall Midget wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
You’re gonna upset the app merchants who download 80 fast food apps to save a quarter on fries.

It's already been explained to you that the savings are much more substantial than that. I personally find most corporate fast food revolting, but my kids like it, and the savings from using the app are significant--on many occasions 50% or more.

And it’s been explained to you that fractional savings on food costs that have tripled don’t negate the original point about inflation. I think it was a Spaulding comment that aroused the app merchants?

Since we’re all repeating ourselves, I’m going to beat the shit out of that horse.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Franky T wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I didn't have the slightest inkling that Good Will Hunting is unrealistic until Louis CK dissected the movie for me. He's even smarter than Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting!

Not everyone is brilliant enough to waste their gifts on tomatoes.

You are under the impression that growing tomatoes is a time-intensive practice?

It takes like 4 months to save $0.30, so yeah, pretty time intensive.

Most people I know grow tomatoes because store-bought tomatoes suck, not to save money.

And nobody needs to spend more than a few minutes per week maintaining tomato plants.

Farm stands. They do the work and the tomatoes are cheap.

Farm stands and farmer's markets are quite expensive around here. That issue aside, I much prefer the heirloom varieties I grow to what is typically available at farm stands.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
You’re gonna upset the app merchants who download 80 fast food apps to save a quarter on fries.

It's already been explained to you that the savings are much more substantial than that. I personally find most corporate fast food revolting, but my kids like it, and the savings from using the app are significant--on many occasions 50% or more.

And it’s been explained to you that fractional savings on food costs that have tripled don’t negate the original point about inflation. I think it was a Spaulding comment that aroused the app merchants?

Since we’re all repeating ourselves, I’m going to beat the shit out of that horse.

As i recall, your original point is the same as you articulated it here--that the app saves only a few pennies. That's demonstrably false.

I don't remember what Spaulding's point was any more, but the fact of the matter is that many corporate fast food spots have moved to a tiered pricing structure that imposes a stupidity tax on those who fail to use the apps.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:25 am 

You seem to be missing the point of the app argument. It's that greedy corporations have created a two-tiered system not that much different than the previous coupon clipping systems. They realized that a certain percentage of the population will fine the app to be too complicated and those people pay a premium. The normal rates are paid by those who are willing to use the app.

It's not really an inflation argument that corporations have discovered they can make an insane profit margin on food while still serving the cost conscious users at the same profit margin they always had.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tall Midget wrote:
many corporate fast food spots have moved to a tiered pricing structure that imposes a stupidity tax on those who fail to use the apps.

Or that many corporate fast food spots have discovered that stupid consumers will provide personal information worth thousands of dollars in order to save fifty cents on a hamburger.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:29 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
many corporate fast food spots have moved to a tiered pricing structure that imposes a stupidity tax on those who fail to use the apps.

Or that many corporate fast food spots have discovered that stupid consumers will provide personal information worth thousands of dollars in order to save fifty cents on a hamburger.

It's almost as if all these fast food companies only care about making money and don't care about any moral or ethical ways they go about doing it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
What is Ronald McDonald going to do with my burger order data?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It's almost as if all these fast food companies only care about making money and don't care about any moral or ethical ways they go about doing it.

Nobody has a gun to your head to provide Culver's with access to your phone. It's up to you to decide if it's dumber to do that or to pay 10% more for cheese curds.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:36 am 

You saw a coupon and you ripped my fuckin life apart.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody has a gun to your head to provide Culver's with access to your phone. It's up to you to decide if it's dumber to do that or to pay 10% more for cheese curds.
You are overstating how much info they actually get. The value is more about global spending habits than it is any individual person. There really isn't any value to knowing what one person does at one location and how many times they do it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

What precisely is this super secret information that I should be so concerned about a fast food app collecting?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Damn it, stop taking about things you know nothing about! Culver's is another place with a garbage app that doesn't give discounts. All it really does is tell you the upcoming flavors of the day so you never miss out on Andes Mint Avalanche.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:44 am 
Site Admin

KDdidit wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Damn it, stop taking about things you know nothing about! Culver's is another place with a garbage app that doesn't give discounts. All it really does is tell you the upcoming flavors of the day so you never miss out on Andes Mint Avalanche.

So it's even worse! You're giving up thousands of dollars worth of personal information to find out what's on special!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:52 am 

Brick wrote:
You seem to be missing the point of the app argument. It's that greedy corporations have created a two-tiered system not that much different than the previous coupon clipping systems. They realized that a certain percentage of the population will fine the app to be too complicated and those people pay a premium. The normal rates are paid by those who are willing to use the app.

It's not really an inflation argument that corporations have discovered they can make an insane profit margin on food while still serving the cost conscious users at the same profit margin they always had.

As an anti-app activist, help me understand something…

Are the discounts always the same for the same products?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:53 am 

W_Z wrote:
You saw a coupon and you ripped my fuckin life apart.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:32 am 

Brick wrote:

As an anti-app activist, help me understand something…

Are the discounts always the same for the same products?

I don't know. I only really eat fast casual Mexican foods that are more points based that give you free stuff after so many burritocoins earned.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:04 pm 

If you own a smart phone or use the internet everyone has your data

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:

I don't have your data. Don't you own a smart phone?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:51 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

What precisely is this super secret information that I should be so concerned about a fast food app collecting?

If you use one of those apps, post a screenshot of the permissions you've allowed for the app and I can take a guess at some of the information they're interested in.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

I just ordered off the McDonald app. What burger did I get? And don’t say what I know you’re going to say. That’s childish.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:11 am 

Darkside wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

If you use one of those apps, post a screenshot of the permissions you've allowed for the app and I can take a guess at some of the information they're interested in.

Quote:
We may collect information about your:
internet protocol (IP) address;
computer or mobile-device operating system and browser type;
type of mobile device and its settings;
unique device identifier (UDID) or mobile equipment identifier (MEID) of your mobile device;
device and component serial numbers;
advertising identifiers (for example, an Identifier for Advertising (IDFA) on Apple devices) or similar identifiers;
referring webpage (a page that has led you to ours) or application;
online activity on other websites, applications or social media;
visits to our restaurants, where recorded using digital technology (e.g. video recordings); and
activity related to how you use our online services or in-restaurant technology, such as the pages you visit on our websites or in our mobile apps.

Our online services and in-restaurant technology may collect information about the exact location of your mobile device or computer using geolocation and technology such as GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cell tower proximity. For most mobile devices and computer systems, you can disable the collection of this information by using the device or web-browser settings. If you have any questions about how to prevent us from collecting exact information about your location, we recommend you contact your mobile-device service provider, the device manufacturer, or your web-browser provider. Some online services and in-restaurant technology may not work properly without information about your location.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:19 am 

Here’s a bit more:

Quote:
McDonald’s collects personal information in connection with providing the MyMcDonald’s Rewards program to consumers. This includes the following categories of personal information:

Inferences drawn from any of the above categories of information to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, or aptitudes.

I assume McDonald’s collets this information to assist the FBI. They can work up a psychological for a guy that orders nothing but filets o fish and Orange Slice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:21 am 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

I just ordered off the McDonald app. What burger did I get? And don’t say what I know you’re going to say. That’s childish.

Like I said, I don't have your data. You're the one who said, "everyone has your data." You are giving your data to McDonald's for free and they consider it very valuable. So I guess the question is, why don't you?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:22 am 
Site Admin

The funny thing is if Seacrest were collecting all that stuff from you guys, you'd be howling about doxxing.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:26 am 

An individuals data is not valuable. It's all about the behavior of the groups that SpiralStairs would be part of.

None of it really matters though if facial recognition software isn't banned by corporations. They'll know more about you then you know about yourself if they are allowed to use it like they could.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Like I said, I don't have your data. You're the one who said, "everyone has your data." You are giving your data to McDonald's for free and they consider it very valuable. So I guess the question is, why don't you?

Ronald and I have worked out a deal wherein he is allowed to construct a psychological profile of me in exchange for half price burgers at his restaurants. Pretty pleased with the arrangement so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:43 am 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Ronald and I have worked out a deal wherein he is allowed to construct a psychological profile of me in exchange for half price burgers at his restaurants. Pretty pleased with the arrangement so far.

Sounds like Peter Minuit buying Manhattan for 26 bucks in wampum. Like you, the Indians were happy.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Sounds like Peter Minuit buying Manhattan for 26 bucks in wampum. Like you, the Indians were happy.

Yes. That’s exactly what it’s like. The west has fallen. May as well enjoy a discount on burgers while the world burns.