It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bears 2024 Forecast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
For the Bears to have drafted a "generational talent" on offense, provided drastic upgrades to the skill positions, and possess a very good defense, prognosticators sure aren't sold on them for some reason

Only 19th best on ESPN power rankings profile
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/402 ... yoff-draft

Post subject: Re: Bears 2024 Forecast
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:14 am 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/555627 ... ions-2024/
Quote:
Chicago Bears
Under 8.5 (+135)
Vegas is giving away money. Only 8.5? The Bears won seven games last season behind their defense, and then added quarterback Caleb Williams, receivers Keenan Allen and Rome Odunze and running back D’Andre Swift to the offense. Add in DJ Moore and that might be the best — at least the most complimentary — receiving corps in the league (yeah, Odunze was my No. 1 receiver in the draft). The defense is still stout thanks to bringing back Montez Sweat and Jaylon Johnson, but some things can’t be duplicated, like the league-high 22 interceptions. And no one will be looking past the Bears this year. So … no, the wiseguys do not give away money. It says here the Bears only get to seven or eight wins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Celtic's champagne hasn't even reached room temperature yet, and LTG is already talking football. Love to see it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Celtic's champagne hasn't even reached room temperature yet, and LTG is already talking football. Love to see it.

Flim Flamming Frank right on my "Bumper" but those "in the know" claim he has "extensive experience" in such "areas"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I am hopeful that the Bears will win 10 games this season, but I'm certainly not confident. They have too many significant questions surrounding them:

1) Will Caleb Williams develop quickly? If so, the Bears should win a lot of games. But no one has a good sense of how "ready" for the NFL he will be in a few months--nor do we know how he will develop during the season.

2) Is the offensive line any good? We still have a major question mark at center, and Jenkins and Davis are typically available only sporadically during the course of a season. Let's hope Williams can play in rhythm rather than holding on to the ball forever like Fields did.

3) Is the defense really "elite"? People seem to take it for granted that the Bears will have a top 5 defense this season. Such a lofty achievement will be difficult to attain, though, without an elite pass rusher. Montez Sweat is good to very good, but he's not dominant--and the Bears have no other good pass rushers on the defensive line. The secondary and linebackers are terrific, though, so the defense should rank among the top 10 in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Bears won 7 games last year with a brutal start to the season and with blowing 4th quarter leads at a record pace. They could have won 9-10 last season with just competent QB play. Not good or even great, just barely mediocre QB play. Trenton Gill also sucked and failed to flip the field a number of times, so you have to figure Taylor should help out in that regard.

If all things stay the same (D, Oline, etc) and Williams is even adequate, 9 games is a floor. If he ends up having a really good year, then 11 or 12 becomes possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:36 pm 

The Doctor Of Style wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5556274/2024/06/14/nfl-win-totals-bets-predictions-2024/
Quote:
Chicago Bears
Under 8.5 (+135)
Vegas is giving away money. Only 8.5? The Bears won seven games last season behind their defense, and then added quarterback Caleb Williams, receivers Keenan Allen and Rome Odunze and running back D’Andre Swift to the offense. Add in DJ Moore and that might be the best — at least the most complimentary — receiving corps in the league (yeah, Odunze was my No. 1 receiver in the draft). The defense is still stout thanks to bringing back Montez Sweat and Jaylon Johnson, but some things can’t be duplicated, like the league-high 22 interceptions. And no one will be looking past the Bears this year. So … no, the wiseguys do not give away money. It says here the Bears only get to seven or eight wins

What does it mean to say the Bears won seven games last season behind their defense?

Was it not the excellent play of Justin Fields that got us to 7 wins?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Bears won 7 games last year with a brutal start to the season and with blowing 4th quarter leads at a record pace. They could have won 9-10 last season with just competent QB play. Not good or even great, just barely mediocre QB play. Trenton Gill also sucked and failed to flip the field a number of times, so you have to figure Taylor should help out in that regard.

If all things stay the same (D, Oline, etc) and Williams is even adequate, 9 games is a floor. If he ends up having a really good year, then 11 or 12 becomes possible.

The Bears defense excelled last season against some of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL and are unlikely to be so lucky in 2024. They looked fairly pedestrian or downright incompetent against above average quarterbacks such as Love. Even with Sweat, the pass rush is below average--and Eberflus' scheme remains a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:57 pm 

Brick wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5556274/2024/06/14/nfl-win-totals-bets-predictions-2024/
Quote:
Chicago Bears
Under 8.5 (+135)

What does it mean to say the Bears won seven games last season behind their defense?

Was it not the excellent play of Justin Fields that got us to 7 wins?

He's Brick and he's once again, "Just Asking Questions"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

I don't disagree, TM. Bears definitely benefited from playing some bottom feeders later in the year. There are certainly question marks on defense. Especially the pass rush, outside of Sweat.

Given all that and even with the D struggling against some better QBs, had Fields managed to play just adequate football in Green Bay last season (score 20 points), that's a win. If he managed to just engineer a couple of first downs in Cleveland or Detroit, two more wins. If Fields had a better 4th quarter against Denver (100 yards of offense, fumble, INT), W.

I know, "ifs and buts", however I think the D is good enough to win right now. If the offense can put up some points, there is some real potential for this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't disagree, TM. Bears definitely benefited from playing some bottom feeders later in the year. There are certainly question marks on defense. Especially the pass rush, outside of Sweat.

Given all that and even with the D struggling against some better QBs, had Fields managed to play just adequate football in Green Bay last season (score 20 points), that's a win. If he managed to just engineer a couple of first downs in Cleveland or Detroit, two more wins. If Fields had a better 4th quarter against Denver (100 yards of offense, fumble, INT), W.

I know, "ifs and buts", however I think the D is good enough to win right now. If the offense can put up some points, there is some real potential for this year.

They will have a 8 win season next year, thanks largely due to their punter.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:28 am 

both lines are questionable. That is where you win games.

banking on a rookie qb to be immediately great is not usually a successful plan

that's why it's going to be so sweet when they beat the odds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:06 am 

The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:17 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

+ :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
good dolphin wrote:
both lines are questionable. That is where you win games.

banking on a rookie qb to be immediately great is not usually a successful plan

that's why it's going to be so sweet when they beat the odds

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The Bears basically punted the first four weeks of the season because the hubris of their offseason plan. They looked like the worst Bears team ever for 3 weeks, that's how bad it was. Resting starters in preseason games when you were the worst team in the league the year before is not something a competent NFL coach would do. Either Eberflus figures out how to close games or he's gone. You could find a Matt Eberflus on the coaching staff of every NFL team, he is the embodiment of replacement level. His coordination magically got better when Sweat showed up and will magically get better if the Bears upgrade on the dline, but definitely isn't a coordinator that gives you a game planning advantage every week. Eberflus and the pass rush are their weakest areas in my opinion.

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The Bears basically punted the first four weeks of the season because the hubris of their offseason plan. They looked like the worst Bears team ever for 3 weeks, that's how bad it was. Resting starters in preseason games when you were the worst team in the league the year before is not something a competent NFL coach would do. Either Eberflus figures out how to close games or he's gone. You could find a Matt Eberflus on the coaching staff of every NFL team, he is the embodiment of replacement level. His coordination magically got better when Sweat showed up and will magically get better if the Bears upgrade on the dline, but definitely isn't a coordinator that gives you a game planning advantage every week. Eberflus and the pass rush are their weakest areas in my opinion.

The Bears started to get better after Alan Williams was fired. He was an absolutely horrible DC.

Eberflus can't pick assistant coaches well is his current track record.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:54 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The Bears started to get better after Alan Williams was fired. He was an absolutely horrible DC.

Eberflus can't pick assistant coaches well is his current track record.

They couldn't have been worse after Alan Williams was fired so jury is still out if that was because of Montez Sweat or Eberflus. I think it was Sweat personally. I've seen enough from Eberflus to think that they could fire him at any point in time following the 2023 season and it would be justified.

it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I’ve got them around 9 wins. Still question marks on both lines and at Head Coach.

Not to mention a rookie QB which will absolutely have its ups and downs -it’s incredibly rare for it not to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
NME wrote:
I’ve got them around 9 wins. Still question marks on both lines and at Head Coach.

Not to mention a rookie QB which will absolutely have its ups and downs -it’s incredibly rare for it not to.

Yeah but those receivers should be so wide-open that even Justin Fields could hit them.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

For the Bears to have drafted a "generational talent" on offense, provided drastic upgrades to the skill positions, and possess a very good defense, prognosticators sure aren't sold on them for some reason

Only 19th best on ESPN power rankings profile
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/402 ... yoff-draft

They are still considered to be the 3rd best team in their own division. As much as everyone likes Caleb, he is still a rookie and, even if it does work, it may take time. The OL/DL are considered to be the biggest question marks on the team by most and if those don't perform up to what the Bears are expecting, that will obvious impacts on the rest of that side of the ball.

I think they have more upside than downside given the defense is probably in the top 10 if the defensive line performs. With the weapons around Caleb, if the OL is at least average, they should be able to score points, but that's assuming Caleb isn't any type of project.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

They clearly weren't ready to start the season. I know they want to balance the injury risk vs. preparation, but they buried themselves last season. I'm assuming that they will make adjustments for this season especially with a rookie QB to make sure there's more chemistry when the regular season opens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:27 pm 

BD wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

They clearly weren't ready to start the season. I know they want to balance the injury risk vs. preparation, but they buried themselves last season. I'm assuming that they will make adjustments for this season especially with a rookie QB to make sure there's more chemistry when the regular season opens.

Balance is the key word there and they were at maybe 5% preparation last year. The Bears haven't been ready to start a season since they hired Nagy, they need to stop coaching/managing the roster scared. Injuries happen, you can't predict them or prevent all of them but you can absolutely prevent last year's abysmal start with real practices and pre-season game reps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
SI says the Bears will make the playoffs, replacing the Cowboys. Not quite the Cover Curse, but ugh nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I haven't seen any evidence that the O-line is really good and I've seen evidence that Williams will extend plays much longer than they should be. This will be a learning year and I can't see them making the playoffs for that reason. That and they play in a really good division, although I think the Packers are due for a fallback season too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
That Titans offense could be dangerous. Facing them in Week 1 could be a blessing

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
I haven't seen any evidence that the O-line is really good and I've seen evidence that Williams will extend plays much longer than they should be. This will be a learning year and I can't see them making the playoffs for that reason. That and they play in a really good division, although I think the Packers are due for a fallback season too.

The Packers were 9-8 last season. I doubt they'll be worse than that in 2024.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Bears will be 8-9.
That gambling line of 8.5 wins is quite telling.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.