It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:06 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Look at used market on line. Tons of stuff if you have patience to wait for a steal.

How do ensure the used stuff is good / reliable?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Look at used market on line. Tons of stuff if you have patience to wait for a steal.

The used market is great if you know what you are looking for, but in your case I would probably go and get fitted for some irons at least. Based on that the fitter could potentially point you in the right direction for some used woods, or hybrids. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
pittmike wrote:

T Bone is probably right about fitting. As for used I watch the ratings of condition closely and try to be certain it’s an actual photo and not a stock pic. I don’t buy from people anymore but the online companies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:33 am 

Had my best round since I started playing again this spring. Shot 73 (+1), with birdies on 3 of the last 6 for a 34(-2) on the back. Putting is coming around, but still a little inconsistent. Best part is I've just about eliminated the complete miss hit shots (please be nice golf gods). Index is down to 1.8, but I don't trust that number. Played well the last 3 or 4 rounds, and those are the scores being used. (only have 12 rounds entered overall).

My goal is to play one round a week for the rest of the season. I know life will happen and I'll miss a few, but that's the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
casual fan wrote:
Had my best round since I started playing again this spring. Shot 73 (+1), with birdies on 3 of the last 6 for a 34(-2) on the back. Putting is coming around, but still a little inconsistent. Best part is I've just about eliminated the complete miss hit shots (please be nice golf gods). Index is down to 1.8, but I don't trust that number. Played well the last 3 or 4 rounds, and those are the scores being used. (only have 12 rounds entered overall).

My goal is to play one round a week for the rest of the season. I know life will happen and I'll miss a few, but that's the plan.

Nice round.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
badrogue17 wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll have to research getting fitted for clubs. I'm being asked (forced) to play more golf for sales, so I'm expecting to be playing one or two times a month.

Whats your budget Hoffy ?

Between $500-$1000.

Join us in the Sub70 cult . Make the trip out to Sycamore, theyll fit you into brand new 5-PW for about $600. Hell, you could even do a couple wedges and a fairway wood with that for a little over 1100 total.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:32 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll have to research getting fitted for clubs. I'm being asked (forced) to play more golf for sales, so I'm expecting to be playing one or two times a month.

Between $500-$1000.

Join us in the Sub70 cult . Make the trip out to Sycamore, theyll fit you into brand new 5-PW for about $600. Hell, you could even do a couple wedges and a fairway wood with that for a little over 1100 total.

I'll second this. I went last week for some new hybrids. I told the fitter I was looking for some more height than I was getting from mine (which were about 8 years old). We spent the hour working on my swing path to get more height. I did buy a couple, but he never tried to sell me on the clubs once. You basically get a lesson along with trying some different head/shaft combinations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:45 am 

casual fan wrote:

Nice shooting. Out of curiosity where did you play?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:06 am 

casual fan wrote:

Nice dude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:55 am 

T-Bone wrote:
casual fan wrote:

Nice shooting. Out of curiosity where did you play?

Played the Preserve at Oak Meadows for the second time. Played black tees this time. I don't have a long list of courses I've played around Chicagoland to compare it to, but I really like this one. Nice condition with decent speed greens. Have to think your way around it. Has a lot of natural areas, wetlands, etc. Black tees are about 6,600 yards, but plays a little longer because you can't just blast a driver every hole. I hit driver on 7 of the 14 holes Saturday. They did a nice job in the design too, in that, if you are willing to hit the smart "non-driver" tee shot, the landing areas are more wide open. On the "maybe driver/maybe not" holes, the landing areas really tighten up the farther you hit it. Think it's about 7,100 from the tips (they call it 'tournament tees' on the card), but haven't played it that way.

https://dupagegolf.com/wp-content/uploa ... se_Map.pdf

I'm trying to play different courses throughout the summer. It's fun playing on courses you have never seen. That said, it does make things harder just showing up blind and not knowing what's ahead. Was nice Saturday having already played the course before. Had a better idea about some of the tee shots, where not to miss approach shots, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:01 am 

Looks really nice. Definitely appears to be a course you need to strategize and think your way around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:20 pm 

Franky T wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Between $500-$1000.

I'll second this. I went last week for some new hybrids. I told the fitter I was looking for some more height than I was getting from mine (which were about 8 years old). We spent the hour working on my swing path to get more height. I did buy a couple, but he never tried to sell me on the clubs once. You basically get a lesson along with trying some different head/shaft combinations.

I called and spoke with Shane, seemed honest. Stock set with a putter was about $1,300-$1,600 depending on the irons I choose. Not way out of my budget, plus he said I could save some of the money with a used putter instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:26 pm 

Franky T wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Between $500-$1000.

I called and spoke with Shane, seemed honest. Stock set with a putter was about $1,300-$1,600 depending on the irons I choose. Not way out of my budget, plus he said I could save some of the money with a used putter instead.

What is in the stock set? That seems high .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:41 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

I'm guessing a complete set with driver, woods, irons, etc.?

Shane is a good guy - they all are over there TBH. I picked up my hybrids from him yesterday and he asked if I wanted a hat. I told him I have a couple and he said "well, let's grab one more". Took me in back and I had my choice from all the colors/styles. They really are good fitting hats lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:41 pm 

Franky T wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Shane is a good guy - they all are over there TBH. I picked up my hybrids from him yesterday and he asked if I wanted a hat. I told him I have a couple and he said "well, let's grab one more". Took me in back and I had my choice from all the colors/styles. They really are good fitting hats lol.

Yeah, there was a range on the irons from $400-$600, then he said the putter was optional at $198 and I could probably find something cheaper. $1300 included the putter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
For us commoners, the experience and customer service at Sub 70 the second to none. If you end up going with them you will not regret it.

Also agree on the hats.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:53 pm 

Franky T wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah, there was a range on the irons from $400-$600, then he said the putter was optional at $198 and I could probably find something cheaper. $1300 included the putter.

If Hoffy buys Sub70 we should do a board Sub70 foursome lol . I think Frank has them too ?

Last edited by badrogue17 on Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

I do. My game is crap right now but it's the Indian and not the arrow.

Also agree that it's very low pressure over there. I think they figure if you're going to take the time to drive out there you're probably going to buy something. The best part is they work with your swing and really don't try to change anything except maybe grip or set up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:30 pm 

My youngest daughter has been dating a young man whose father is the grounds keeper for a local 9 hole course. He has been trying to get me to come play some with them. I have been trying to avoid it as I made the assumption that if he worked at a course he was going to be pretty good. I assumed wrong. We got together this afternoon and I was the best player in the group. And I am not very good at all. But after I saw the level of the group I was with it gave me some confidence and I played fairly well. 2nd hole was a par 3 and I was about a foot from the cup on the drive and got a nice birdie. Something I was dreading actually turned into a nice afternoon.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:38 pm 

RFDC wrote:
My youngest daughter has been dating a young man whose father is the grounds keeper for a local 9 hole course. He has been trying to get me to come play some with them. I have been trying to avoid it as I made the assumption that if he worked at a course he was going to be pretty good. I assumed wrong. We got together this afternoon and I was the best player in the group. And I am not very good at all. But after I saw the level of the group I was with it gave me some confidence and I played fairly well. 2nd hole was a par 3 and I was about a foot from the cup on the drive and got a nice birdie. Something I was dreading actually turned into a nice afternoon.

Golf is fun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:02 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Franky T wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

If Hoffy buys Sub70 we should do a board Sub70 foursome lol . I think Frank has them too ?

I'm in.

And look, I'm not trying to sell their clubs. I just know the Sub 70 owners and a lot of the guys that work there. Most of them are members at my club so I have the opportunity to play with them in club events. The majority owner, Jason, is a bit weird, but a good guy. Everyone else who works there that I know are great guys and good golfers (well, Shane isn't lol). They are all honest, hard working guys who make a solid product at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:07 pm 

Youre a member at Kish ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:38 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Youre a member at Kish ?

Yeah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Shot a 39 yesterday at my local 9-hole, featuring 5 bogeys of which 3 could/should've been pars. Featured shots of the round included a 6-iron from 180 out into an ~8mph wind and sticking it to 8 feet, and then on the last Par 4 absolutely nutting a 4-hybrid out 258 yards. Worst shot of the day was the one after the 4-hybrid missile: I was happy as a clam leaving myself an 8-iron into the green on what I consider the toughest Par 4 on the course, but it turns out my glove had other ideas, and it ripped on my downswing, contributing to/causing a nasty toey slice into the rough surrounding the ladies tee area of the previous hole. High flop from there onto the green, nearly holed the par putt, so I walked away happy-ish. Putting pace drills in my warm ups have really helped my 3-putt avoidance, and course management with a focus on giving myself no worse than a first putt for par has changed how I go at greens and helped me not get as angry at my [numerous] bad misses.

I now fully expect to shoot 50+ on my next nine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:48 am 

Carded a pair of 79s this weekend. Three double bogies on Saturday and then just kept shooting myself in the foot on Sunday and added another double to the tally. The bunkers at my courses are very inconsistent and for whatever reason, this year I have been wanting to peek at where the ball is going out of the sand which has led to numerous bladed sand shots costing me a lot of strokes. I hope you cretins get out during the holiday break. My calendar is jammed with golf so if the weather works out, I will be playing 18 everyday Thursday thru Monday and 36 on Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:17 am 

Golflocker.com is offering a good deal on some excellent golf shoes they have overstock on from last year. I picked up two pair at 45% off. Still a bit pricy, but they should last a really long time and are very high quality. I'll use my beat up pair for sloppy conditions in the spring. https://www.golflocker.com/sale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:32 am 

Played 9 on Saturday with my daughter that's trying to learn to play. Played St Andrews in West Chicago yesterday. Shot 79. Hit it ok, but putting has been hit or miss all season. Struggling especially on slower greens. Had three 3 putts, and couple other short misses yesterday.

Random stat... I use The Grint app to score my rounds, and it tracks all kinds of stats. I'm on a streak of 128 holes making bogey or better.

Going camping this weekend, but I have a tee time for Sat morning at the course in the state park we are staying at. They have a 6 hole "short course" too. Might try to play that with my daughter, if we can find the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:20 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Carded a pair of 79s this weekend. Three double bogies on Saturday and then just kept shooting myself in the foot on Sunday and added another double to the tally. The bunkers at my courses are very inconsistent and for whatever reason, this year I have been wanting to peek at where the ball is going out of the sand which has led to numerous bladed sand shots costing me a lot of strokes. I hope you cretins get out during the holiday break. My calendar is jammed with golf so if the weather works out, I will be playing 18 everyday Thursday thru Monday and 36 on Friday.

Funny because I went 78-81 this weekend with zero doubles and my bunker play has been excellent. :lol:

I was actually really happy with my 81 because I wasn't hitting the ball very well, but still managed a decent round.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:37 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Funny because I went 78-81 this weekend with zero doubles and my bunker play has been excellent. :lol:

I was actually really happy with my 81 because I wasn't hitting the ball very well, but still managed a decent round.

Yeah the double bogey thing has been ruining my card off and on for the past 8 weeks or so. I played really well last weekend and found something with my driver, so finding more fairways and last weekend hit 12 and 15 greens enroute to a pair of 74's. Some of the bad has been poor course management, and some has been me trying to hit cuts off the tee and double crossing myself. I was able to do it quite easily last year but this year I can't seem to make it happen so am just going to abandon it and there are a few holes I will just need to hit 3 wood off the tee to keep it in play more regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:50 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Actual photo of me playing this weekend;
This again :cry:

Went out for just 9 holes Saturday morning with near zero scoring expectations. I just wanted to hit the ball decently. Even with this low bar it was a disappointment. Shot a 53 at a fairly benign 2700 yard muni track.

Funny enough, I ended up in three bunkers with wet sand and got up and down twice. The third one I wasn't even upset with because the green was running away from me and I was on downhill lie so I knew anything inside of about 20' would have been a good shot. Thats exactly what happened and I two putted for a rare bogey on the day.

Oh well. Still want to try and get out this weekend. I might bring some beer with me with a 'fuck it' type attitude and see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next