It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:25 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
I think there are so many more hurdles by the lake than Arlington Park. I've thought all along Warren was posturing about building a new stadium in Chicago.

Kevin Warren may have lucked into a great situation. He did everything he could to stay near the lake but it was impossible so the Bears have no choice to consider Arlington Heights and the school board will finally be realistic on the taxes.

I don't think he had any desire to be by the lake. I think the Bears are the ones who are getting realistic.

All the reports are that he was the one behind the shift. It's either Warren playing 4d chess but given his many mistakes as Big Ten commissioner I happen to think it was more luck that his great lakefront stadium renovation just happened to work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
I think there are so many more hurdles by the lake than Arlington Park. I've thought all along Warren was posturing about building a new stadium in Chicago.

Kevin Warren may have lucked into a great situation. He did everything he could to stay near the lake but it was impossible so the Bears have no choice to consider Arlington Heights and the school board will finally be realistic on the taxes.

I don't think he had any desire to be by the lake. I think the Bears are the ones who are getting realistic.

All the reports are that he was the one behind the shift. It's either Warren playing 4d chess but given his many mistakes as Big Ten commissioner I happen to think it was more luck that his great lakefront stadium renovation just happened to work out.

it's not 4d chess....it was a hail mary and received as such. I can't tell if you're for real here or just playing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:28 am 

So you think Warren did all of that, all but cancelled the AH project, and put himself out there for the Governor to shut him down because his secret plan was to get the AH school board to move from their position on taxes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:51 am 

Brick wrote:
So you think Warren did all of that, all but cancelled the AH project, and put himself out there for the Governor to shut him down because his secret plan was to get the AH school board to move from their position on taxes?

not sure where you're getting all but cancelled from, I guess he's got you fooled too. It's literally the definition of a hail mary....it didn't work and I can't imagine AH is moving much from their position on taxes. Now he can even say to whatever portion of the fan base is living in the city "see guys, we tried. Big bad Illinois government shut us down"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:57 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:

not sure where you're getting all but cancelled from, I guess he's got you fooled too. It's literally the definition of a hail mary....it didn't work and I can't imagine AH is moving much from their position on taxes. Now he can even say to whatever portion of the fan base is living in the city "see guys, we tried. Big bad Illinois government shut us down"

Your theory seems very strange to be honest. So he lied about giving up on AH, knew it was a "hail mary" to get this project done on the lakefront but went through months of work on it and presented it knowing it would be shut down and he wouldn't get anything from AH from it and now he is back to the original plan at AH with nothing changing? That is what you think happened?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Mayor of Arlington Heights announced he is not standing for re-election, in part because he feels good about where things stand with the bears.

Quote:
"I'm hopeful about where things are at, otherwise I wouldn't be leaving," he said. "We've got a really good team here of our own that has been working on it for about three and a half years. And so we're going to continue to work on it in the next 10 months."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/ ... n/3475472/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:39 am 

Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:

Your theory seems very strange to be honest. So he lied about giving up on AH, knew it was a "hail mary" to get this project done on the lakefront but went through months of work on it and presented it knowing it would be shut down and he wouldn't get anything from AH from it and now he is back to the original plan at AH with nothing changing? That is what you think happened?

Well he is a fool, so....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:

Warren can claim, at best, he got about $5-10 million in property tax savings while delaying the project a year. It's penny wise, pound foolish. Warren totally misread the political climate and just the general culture of the city and suburbs. Not to mention he is totally in left field about how people other than Kevin Warren view Kevin Warren. He'd be in danger of getting canned if the McCaskeys didn't own the Bears.

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:11 am 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Warren can claim, at best, he got about $5-10 million in property tax savings while delaying the project a year. It's penny wise, pound foolish.
It's far more than that especially when you factor in the cost certainty they want about future raises of the tax.

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Warren totally misread the political climate and just the general culture of the city and suburbs. Not to mention he is totally in left field about how people other than Kevin Warren view Kevin Warren. He'd be in danger of getting canned if the McCaskeys didn't own the Bears.
He may have. It seems like he is going to luck into a great spot though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:55 am 

Brick wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Brick wrote:

I never gave his plan any credence whatsoever. And yes, I suspect if he has any intelligence about him at all he knew it wouldn't work and was hoping to use it as a negotiation tool. My guess is it didn't even do that. So he hasn't lucked into anything. But he'll look good now, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:42 pm 

Brick wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Warren can claim, at best, he got about $5-10 million in property tax savings while delaying the project a year. It's penny wise, pound foolish.
It's far more than that especially when you factor in the cost certainty they want about future raises of the tax.

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Warren totally misread the political climate and just the general culture of the city and suburbs. Not to mention he is totally in left field about how people other than Kevin Warren view Kevin Warren. He'd be in danger of getting canned if the McCaskeys didn't own the Bears.

We'll see what he actually gets out of the school board. The AH site was handed to him on a silver platter and he's only succeeded in demolishing a race track so far. His reputation has not improved through this, I can tell you that for sure.

it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

How about this for a theory.

Warren never wanted to stay in Chicago. Always wanted AH. Chicago was used. That way Warren can say to Bears fans we did everything we could to stay in the City. And Bears fans won't hate the Bears for leaving. Those who really care about them staying in the city. They'll always blame the state for not allowing it.

Also, to use Chicago to get a better deal from AH like you guys have said.

Pretty Shrewd if this was Warren's plan all along. I don't know him well enough to know if he's that smart. If he is, he's also been a great actor for months trying to sell bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
Beardown wrote:

Warren never wanted to stay in Chicago. Always wanted AH. Chicago was used. That way Warren can say to Bears fans we did everything we could to stay in the City. And Bears fans won't hate the Bears for leaving. Those who really care about them staying in the city. They'll always blame the state for not allowing it.

Pretty Shrewd if this was Warren's plan all along. I don't know him well enough to know if he's that smart. If he is, he's also been a great actor for months trying to sell bullshit.

This Ends In Antioch wrote:
Why assume there is a plan when routine incompetence is on the table?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:51 am 

Warren is playing 4-D chess while we are playing checkers. He is smarter than all of us. We just don't know it. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

TriColoredPastas wrote:
Beardown wrote:

This Ends In Antioch wrote:
Why assume there is a plan when routine incompetence is on the table?

I know. It could very well just be stupidity on Warren's part. I said I don't know how smart Warren is. Just throwing it out as a possible theory that's he's shrewd and using Chicago to get AH to budge on money.

Starting to agree with Bernstein's take on Warren, though. That he's just completely in love with himself. Bible-thumper. Walks through life a little delusional. But gets jobs cuz he's charismatic and is probably a good interview.

I love how he convinced the McCaskey's to hire like 10 people as his assistants with various titles. Fucking Teddy Phillips had zero assistants. Probably didn't want any out of fear the McCaskey's would realize his underlings were more competent then him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:01 am 

a retard wrote:
Warren is playing 4-D chess while we are playing checkers. He is smarter than all of us. We just don't know it. :P

well, he's eating the 3-d chess set so.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:12 am 

Ricky11Slade wrote:
Brick wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:

Ricky11Slade wrote:

We'll see what he actually gets out of the school board. The AH site was handed to him on a silver platter and he's only succeeded in demolishing a race track so far. His reputation has not improved through this, I can tell you that for sure.

I don't think we'll hear. Unless AH wants to take a victory lap, which I suppose could happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:02 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Brick wrote:
Ricky11Slade wrote:

Ricky11Slade wrote:

I don't think we'll hear. Unless AH wants to take a victory lap, which I suppose could happen.

We'll know for sure either way, it's a matter of public record.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Curious Hair wrote:
Every year there's a news story that's like

Quote:
NFL fans are about to wait all day for Wednesday night.

The National Football League announced the creation of Wednesday Night Football, which will air exclusively on the brand-new streaming service Yrvu [pronounced "your view"].

A joint venture of Goldman Sachs and Walgreens, Yrvu promises to feature not only NFL action but also programming catered to "tomorrow's decision-makers, the health-conscious, and people who 'live the Walgreens lifestyle,'" according to chief marketing officer Emily Snerch.

Together, Goldman Sachs and Walgreens will pay $3 billion a year to bring a new night of football to a new platform, which will be available on "most smart TVs and devices in the weeks and months to come," as well as the closed-circuit TVs above the doors at Walgreens locations.

and also the Bears require a new stadium in order to be economically viable

https://deadline.com/2024/08/chick-fil- ... 236044196/

Quote:
Chick-Fil-A is moving aggressively into the entertainment space with plans to launch a slate of originals for its own streaming platform.

Deadline understands that the fast-food firm has been working with a number of major production companies, including some of the studios, to create family-friendly shows, particularly in the unscripted space. It is also in talks to license and acquire content.

Maybe they can go after Wednesday Night Football since obviously Sundays are out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:44 pm 

My favorite story was when they put one in the Falcons stadium. Just looking at the metal shades on game day must crack up the vendors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I refuse to pay for Chick-fil-A+

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:52 pm 

Anyway, since I'm here, Jim O'Donnell had a very bizarre column today about the Bears hiring a focus group made up of people who talk like Jim O'Donnell:

Quote:
ONE FLUSTERED FOCUS OBSERVER later said:

“If Ted Phillips were still president of the Bears, there would have been shovels in the ground at Arlington Park sixteen months ago and we would be looking at a sensational season opener as early as September 2025.

“Now, instead, we're getting T-shirts with our names on our backs and little cost or parking certainty for us. I'm surprised they didn't give us orange-and-blue candles to light.”

It's me, the guy who goes around lamenting the losses of "sensational season openers" and talking about candles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

something something download app

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:07 am 

Kevin White was saying things, and literally just that. Saying things. Platitudes. Either he's got a secret deal lining up or this is really hopeless. I can't believe this guy was so successful in Minnesota. I have no clue after listening to him about what he really intends to do, likely because he doesn't know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:21 am 

I still think the Bears could get the 78 off Related's hands and make it work, especially since Reinsdorf's request for a new stadium was a wet fart and he promptly pivoted to developing around the UC instead. It's really the only logical place for the Bears to build. I can imagine something akin to Seattle's stadium, where there's an overhang for the seats but the field is still exposed to the elements.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:26 am 

Are they a streaming service now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Why are the Bears holding focus groups now? Shouldn't that have happened a couple years ago?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:27 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Kevin White was saying things....

I didn't realize this guy was involved, too?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Curious Hair wrote:
I still think the Bears could get the 78 off Related's hands and make it work, especially since Reinsdorf's request for a new stadium was a wet fart and he promptly pivoted to developing around the UC instead. It's really the only logical place for the Bears to build. I can imagine something akin to Seattle's stadium, where there's an overhang for the seats but the field is still exposed to the elements.

Isn’t that property actually owned by an Iraqi terrorist?

I thought Related is just the prospective developer but the actual owner is a guy who can’t legally enter the country. I don’t know how Ginny would feel about that.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Isn’t that property actually owned by an Iraqi terrorist?

I thought Related is just the prospective developer but the actual owner is a guy who can’t legally enter the country. I don’t know how Ginny would feel about that.

https://archive.ph/odjGM
Quote:
In 2005, Auchi’s attempts to enter the United States were blocked when the State Department refused him a visa as he was preparing to invest in the land, which was owned at the time by Tony Rezko, a political fixer for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Rezko later went to prison, convicted in a kickback scheme involving state deals, and Auchi bought out Rezko, who needed the money for his legal bills.

The State Department also rejected Auchi's later attempt at a visa in 2014. In both 2005 and 2014, the State Department cited unspecified "crimes of moral turpitude" as the reason for rejecting Auchi's visa requests, according to court records.

Federal officials never revealed why they rejected Auchi’s visa application, which happened after a French court convicted him of fraud in an oil scandal. He was fined and sentenced to prison for 15 months, though the sentence was suspended and he never did any time in that case.
Auchi did serve two years in prison after he and 76 others — including Saddam Hussein, at the time a young member of Iraq's Ba'ath Party — were convicted of attempting to assassinate Iraq’s prime minister in 1959. Hussein was sentenced to hang but fled the country. He was Iraq’s president from 1979 to 2003, when the United States and its allies invaded Iraq. Hussein was captured by U.S. troops and executed in 2006 in Iraq for crimes against humanity.

So he did some light terrorism. Who hasn't.

I dunno. Gotta do something with that land, and I don't sense any burning desire to subsidize another new stadium for the White Sox. Get the land out from under Saddam Hussein's co-conspirator, unload Arlington Park, and maybe the Bears can build a stadium within their means, even if it can't attract the mythical Final Fours that every new stadium says it's going to get.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next