It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:28 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
My brother in law took up the game recently and we teed it up yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day to be out, and that was the best thing I can say about it. He shot a VERY friendly 157. He had 7 holes where he’d pick up and I’d give him a 10, at least he had the sense to do that. I know he had fun and was excited to be on his first “real” course. I played 36 yesterday which I haven’t done since late last year. Feel ok this morning and ready to play the next 3 mornings in a row. Had it going on the morning back nine but kind of choked away what would have been a superb round. I shot 40 on the front but fought back and was -3 on the back headed to 17. I managed to put it to 4 feet for birdie but missed a really tricky putt. Hit just in front of the green on 18 and decided to putt but left it 3 feet short and of course missed that one. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Booked an appointment at sub 70 with Kevin this Friday. Not to say you guys didn't all convince me already that it seems like the right option, but the VP at my client also sang their praises. I'm not sure if you guys get anything or a referral, but DM with your real name if so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Kevin just qualified for the Senior PGA

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Took a month off after my trip and getting the shanks. Played over the weekend at Mt Prospect. A little rusty and was 10 over on the front despite striking it pretty good. Got it going on the back and was 4 over on the back going into the last 2 holes and then doubled #17. Had a great drive on 18 and was 120 out. Simple 8 iron....SHANK. Ruined my entire round and day.

Got home, put the clubs away and will take another month off...try again in August.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Been struggling a bunch with that dreaded S word myself lately. I feel your pain, shakes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Went out for just 9 holes Saturday morning with near zero scoring expectations. I just wanted to hit the ball decently. Even with this low bar it was a disappointment. Shot a 53 at a fairly benign 2700 yard muni track.

Oh well. Still want to try and get out this weekend. I might bring some beer with me with a 'fuck it' type attitude and see what happens.
Did just this on Saturday afternoon. Couple Busch Lights and Begyle Blonde Ales were the beverages of choice. Went back to the same course aiming for a bit of redemption. A 9 on the par 5 sixth and a 6 on the par 4 seventh killed the score card (46), but I did hit some nice shots otherwise. No three puts and only 14 total putts which is pretty good. Highlight of the round started as a lowlight. Drive faded and rolled OB. Dropped from about 180 out, put a 5iron to about 15'. Two putted for a terrific bogey. Only 1 shank, hit 3 GIR. Both vast improvements from the last few times out. It was great to get some confidence back in my game. Most importantly, fun was had!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:15 pm 

Eagled a par 5 today that’s the most gettable at my course at 491. Hit a really nice approach and had 18 feet. Managed a 74 and we finished at 8:20am thankfully. It was starting to get really steamy, tomorrow supposed to be warmer and stickier. Hope somebody else is getting out there this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:01 am 

Got out this morning and made the turn. By the time we got to the 10th green it was dark as hell out. My buddy asked if we should go in and I said hell yeah. By the time I got my clubs in the car the sky opened up and it poured. I had 1.5 inches in my rain gauge at home. Once the sun comes out today it’s gonna be miserable sucking all that moisture up. I’m watching the Scottish for a while

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:35 pm 

Made it out today. 4pm tee time. Think i lost 5lbs of sweat by 5pm.

Hit the ball great, especially off the tee, but continued my sketchy putting. 15 GIR, 34 putts, for 74(+2). Actually 1 putted all 3 greens I missed. 31 putts on 15 GIR holes………

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
casual fan wrote:
Made it out today. 4pm tee time. Think i lost 5lbs of sweat by 5pm.

Hit the ball great, especially off the tee, but continued my sketchy putting. 15 GIR, 34 putts, for 74(+2). Actually 1 putted all 3 greens I missed. 31 putts on 15 GIR holes………

It makes sense that you would 1 putt greens you missed if you are going to have any 1 putts. Think about it, if you are missing the GIR that means you are most likely very close to the green and therefore have a much shorter shot than any of the shots that gave you a GIR. Obviously you have a much greater chance to get it close to the pin from a green side chip as opposed to 100+ yards out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:52 am 

My usual group wasn’t able to make it today so went out on my own and got around in 80 minutes. Haven’t done that in a while. Much more fun to play with at least one other person to slow things down a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
T-Bone wrote:
My usual group wasn’t able to make it today so went out on my own and got around in 80 minutes. Haven’t done that in a while. Much more fun to play with at least one other person to slow things down a bit.

18?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:00 pm 

Played Bowes Creek in Elgin today. Fun layout to play, and have to think a little off the tee. Has some nice par 3’s, especially if you are playing the black or blue tees. That said, don’t think it’s worth the slightly over $100 greens fee. Of course, i tend to think that about most courses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:42 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

18?

Yeah 18 in a cart.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

18?

Yeah 18 in a cart.

Less than 5 minutes per hole is an insane pace. Were you playing par threes in under a minute?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:40 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

18?

Yeah 18 in a cart.

Less than 5 minutes per hole is an insane pace. Were you playing par threes in under a minute?

No, probably 3 minutes or so. I hit three of the four greens in regulation so it was simply driving up there and putting. I was playing fairly well so I didn’t have to hit the ball too many times. My course has two 18 hole courses and I’ve played each literally hundreds of times. I pretty much know what club I’m going to need off every tee and the carts have GPS so once I pull up to the ball I know the right distance. I think I hit 12 greens so that speeds things along.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Ended up at sub 70 on Friday. Had a lesson with Kevin, seemed like a great guy. Cost was a little higher than I expected. For a driver, 2 hybrids, 5 irons, pitching wedge, and putter, $1,400. I doubt I'd need the other four irons for a while. What you guys think, should I go with it or see if I can haggle down/try somewhere else?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Ended up at sub 70 on Friday. Had a lesson with Kevin, seemed like a great guy. Cost was a little higher than I expected. For a driver, 2 hybrids, 5 irons, pitching wedge, and putter, $1,400. I doubt I'd need the other four irons for a while. What you guys think, should I go with it or see if I can haggle down/try somewhere else?

You can always find something cheaper - but you get what you pay for. I guess it depends on how much you think you will play and serious you think you will get about golf.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:04 am 

My adjustable slope putting mat finally arrived months after pre-ordering. I'd have to say it is pretty cool and can see myself using this quite a bit to work on breaking putts from 8 feet and in. Well made and almost unlimited variables will be fun to monkey with. Sitting at 40 full rounds this year and playing ok overall, I have a long business trip coming up and miss a couple of weekends so that is always a bummer every year. I'll try to play a day before leaving and a day when I get back. Appear to be about 5-6 rounds ahead of last years pace when I finished with 55 total rounds, but also pretty much hung it up in early October. Haven't taken time off during the week to play like I had planned. Thought it would be fun to play before work but find that it actually isn't very relaxing to play knowing that I have to get into the office and found myself looking for e-mails on my phone during the round. A little warm and humid this weekend but should be able to avoid most of that teeing off early. Hope you guys are getting out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:08 am 

Got out yesterday and played the first weekday round of the season. Playing in a 36 hole tournament this weekend, and wanted a practice round before. Haven't played a "competitive" round of golf in 20+ years. Just slightly below PGA Tour level event..... but still looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:37 am 

casual fan wrote:
Got out yesterday and played the first weekday round of the season. Playing in a 36 hole tournament this weekend, and wanted a practice round before. Haven't played a "competitive" round of golf in 20+ years. Just slightly below PGA Tour level event..... but still looking forward to it.

Good luck cf. I haven't played in a competitive tournament on my own ball in a very long time. Put way too much pressure on myself and really can't stand the waiting and standing around between shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:43 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
My adjustable slope putting mat finally arrived months after pre-ordering. I'd have to say it is pretty cool and can see myself using this quite a bit to work on breaking putts from 8 feet and in. Well made and almost unlimited variables will be fun to monkey with. Sitting at 40 full rounds this year and playing ok overall, I have a long business trip coming up and miss a couple of weekends so that is always a bummer every year. I'll try to play a day before leaving and a day when I get back. Appear to be about 5-6 rounds ahead of last years pace when I finished with 55 total rounds, but also pretty much hung it up in early October. Haven't taken time off during the week to play like I had planned. Thought it would be fun to play before work but find that it actually isn't very relaxing to play knowing that I have to get into the office and found myself looking for e-mails on my phone during the round. A little warm and humid this weekend but should be able to avoid most of that teeing off early. Hope you guys are getting out.

Did you get the airbreak?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:45 pm 

Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yeah, I pre-ordered it back in May for my birthday. Super easy set up and was pretty impressed with the quality. Should be a lot of fun especially in the offseason. I miss way too many putts that are makeable within 8 feet and more times than not they have some break involved.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:31 am 

Best round of the year this morning. I was -4 going into 18 and pulled a drive left. Couldn’t go for the green so left myself 50 yards and couldn’t get up and down for par. Hit 15 greens and had 4 birdies with really no stress on par putts. I was starting to tense up on about hole 13 as I had two holes that I need to cut the ball off the tee and that has been a tough shot for me this season. Best round on that course that I can remember. It’s 6900 from the tips so I was really thrilled. Hope casual played well today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:55 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Brick wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yeah, I pre-ordered it back in May for my birthday. Super easy set up and was pretty impressed with the quality. Should be a lot of fun especially in the offseason. I miss way too many putts that are makeable within 8 feet and more times than not they have some break involved.

Thanks. Almost ordered it before but didn't want to chance that it was just an expensive balloon with fake grass.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:06 pm 

It’s not cheap but you can literally create almost any putt inside 8 feet. I think it’s one of the coolest golf aids I’ve seen. Just gets you more comfortable looking at breaking putts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:42 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Best round of the year this morning. I was -4 going into 18 and pulled a drive left. Couldn’t go for the green so left myself 50 yards and couldn’t get up and down for par. Hit 15 greens and had 4 birdies with really no stress on par putts. I was starting to tense up on about hole 13 as I had two holes that I need to cut the ball off the tee and that has been a tough shot for me this season. Best round on that course that I can remember. It’s 6900 from the tips so I was really thrilled. Hope casual played well today.

Nice round.

I had a strange one. Score was a respectable 73 (+2), but was a rollercoaster. Four 3-putts, unplayable lie penalty, and a tee shot into a pond. Positive side, had 4 birdies, and some nice saves. Hitting the ball really well, but my lag putting is a disaster right now. Tomorrow’s another chance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:42 am 

casual fan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Nice round.

I had a strange one. Score was a respectable 73 (+2), but was a rollercoaster. Four 3-putts, unplayable lie penalty, and a tee shot into a pond. Positive side, had 4 birdies, and some nice saves. Hitting the ball really well, but my lag putting is a disaster right now. Tomorrow’s another chance.

Sounds like you pulled together a nice round all things considered. Go get‘em today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:49 am 

casual how did you finish up on Sunday? I played the other course at my facility and birdied the first hole. Then I promptly went to hook a drive into the water on the next hole and doubled #6 with a lost ball. It almost never fails to have something happen :lol: Managed to pull it together after that for a 39-36-75.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
casual how did you finish up on Sunday? I played the other course at my facility and birdied the first hole. Then I promptly went to hook a drive into the water on the next hole and doubled #6 with a lost ball. It almost never fails to have something happen :lol: Managed to pull it together after that for a 39-36-75.

Similar to Saturday. Bogey 1 with 3-putt, bogey 2 with an unplayable lie, and +3 after 8 holes. 8 pars and 2 birdies to finish for a 73 (+1).

For the weekend 73-73 (+3), with 7 birdies, six 3-putts, 4 penalty strokes, and a partridge in a pear tree...
I feel like I should be upset with the amount of "unforced errors", but overall, happy that I held it together. Finished 2nd in the "old man" 50+ group. Winner shot 67 yesterday, so 'tip the cap'.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:32 pm 

casual fan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Similar to Saturday. Bogey 1 with 3-putt, bogey 2 with an unplayable lie, and +3 after 8 holes. 8 pars and 2 birdies to finish for a 73 (+1).

For the weekend 73-73 (+3), with 7 birdies, six 3-putts, 4 penalty strokes, and a partridge in a pear tree...
I feel like I should be upset with the amount of "unforced errors", but overall, happy that I held it together. Finished 2nd in the "old man" 50+ group. Winner shot 67 yesterday, so 'tip the cap'.

Very nice shooting, especially for an "old guy". :lol: I'm 48 and my body definitely feels like I should be in that category.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next