It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549  Next
 Post subject: Re: Julie DiCaro!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Maybe they caved too. It's rampant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:27 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Lol, the NYT?????? Biased toward the GOP?

she's referring to 2 things i think: the onslaught of op eds telling biden to drop out of the presidential race; and, basically saying exactly what abigail shrier was saying in her "irreversible damage" book years ago (but making sure not to cite anything from her as to give her the actual credit), which of course the JDC's of the world think is "anti-trans".

it's just that "eating their own thing". i haven't respected the NYT for years but it is kind of amusing to see this happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
denisdman wrote:
Over the years, I’ve evolved from a free-speech absolutist (this was my default position on everything in law school) to believing that social media is largely unhealthy for us all and rueing the day it was created. Aside from the disinformation and intentional harassment (which is disproportionately aimed at marginalized groups), it’s just caused so many of us to forget how to talk to each other.

"I would be for free speech if it weren't for all those people speaking freely."

Quote:
If there’s one thing I learned while working for the second iteration of Deadspin, it’s that the general public has very little idea of how media outlets work. Too often, readers assumed that, because we work at the same outlet, my opinions were in lockstep with my colleagues. Or that we all agreed on what everyone’s take would be. That’s what an editorial board does, but not what individual columnists or reporters do.

Except Deadspin was known for forcing everyone into the same house style and approved opinions. The general public noticed that the bylines kept changing but the thoughts never did.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:38 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Dude, venture if you dare into the subreddit for NPR. They think that NPR has become a Nazi outlet because they're not withholding reporting on "we beat Medicare." I couldn't believe there were Joe Biden dead-enders but my god.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
RFDC wrote:
denis! Where ya been man?

Not posting much. All else the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
denisdman wrote:
“Because a few of you have asked, I have (maybe temporarily) deactivated my account on Bluesky. The constant harassment by a handful of people probably doesn’t seem like much when viewed from the outside, but I’ve been dealing with these same trolls for nearly 10 years, and frankly, I’m exhausted and my mental health is suffering. I understand why social media platforms embrace things like easy accessibility and transparency, but Bluesky simply hasn’t given users enough tools to combat harassment and remain safe yet. I hope they are able to do so soon. No one should be able to create hundreds of new accounts to get around being blocked.

Sadly, a few high visibility journalists, namely Jamelle Bouie from the NYT, have also deactivated for a similar reason, though he was obviously getting it on a much bigger scale than I was.
Over the years, I’ve evolved from a free-speech absolutist (this was my default position on everything in law school) to believing that social media is largely unhealthy for us all and rueing the day it was created. Aside from the disinformation and intentional harassment (which is disproportionately aimed at marginalized groups), it’s just caused so many of us to forget how to talk to each other. And we’ve created this weird world where people who spout racist, misogynist, and homo/transphobic nonsense have risen to the top of the pyramid while those who are doing their best to do the right thing are regularly attacked by their own side for not being pure or radical enough in their beliefs. The whole thing is insane.

I canceled my subscription to the NYT because of what I see as their biased coverage of the election and their continual platforming of anti-trans voices. While I decided that I didn’t want to monetarily contribute to their bottom line anymore, I certainly would never tell a journalist like Bouie, one of the few reliably progressive voices in their op-ed department, that he was wrong to take a paycheck from the outlet. Don’t we want people like Bouie in there pushing back against the status quo? Haven’t we just had a whole conversation about platforming more Black voices? And why is Bouie the one who is somehow responsible for things written by other opinion columnists? Go harass Brett Stephens off social media if people are looking for something to do.

If there’s one thing I learned while working for the second iteration of Deadspin, it’s that the general public has very little idea of how media outlets work. Too often, readers assumed that, because we work at the same outlet, my opinions were in lockstep with my colleagues. Or that we all agreed on what everyone’s take would be. That’s what an editorial board does, but not what individual columnists or reporters do. At least at the outlets where I’ve worked, columnists pitch their ideas individually to an editor, then work on the piece alone. One columnist generally has no idea what someone else is writing about until they see it in print. And we certainly don’t all agree with what everyone else writes. Asking journalists to denounce a colleague publicly is akin to asking them to resign. And there are already too few journalism jobs left.

I think the NYT’s coverage of the trans community has been dehumanizing, has relied on false information, and is written by biased columnists seeking to advance a particular viewpoint. The NYT deserves all the blowback and canceled subscriptions in the world for that. You know who doesn’t deserve it, though? Jamelle Bouie. One of the few prominent Black voices at America’s paper of record.”

Where did July post this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
denisdman wrote:
RFDC wrote:
denis! Where ya been man?

Not posting much. All else the same.

Hell yeah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Dude, venture if you dare into the subreddit for NPR. They think that NPR has become a Nazi outlet because they're not withholding reporting on "we beat Medicare." I couldn't believe there were Joe Biden dead-enders but my god.

reddit is full of the most insufferable too-much-time-on-your-hands troglodytes...it's a mild irritant that some posters here employ redditisms and language.

the xennial reddit page is pretty much the only thing keeping me there at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
W_Z wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

reddit is full of the most insufferable too-much-time-on-your-hands troglodytes...it's a mild irritant that some posters here employ redditisms and language.

the xennial reddit page is pretty much the only thing keeping me there at all.

In extreme redditism language: "This isn't the airport. You don't have to announce your departure."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
those who are doing their best to do the right thing

Of course

Quote:
I canceled my subscription to the NYT because of what I see as their biased coverage of the election

She is an extreme radical and completely off the rails. I don't think more than 5% of liberals (a few of them host on the Score) share similar opinions. Way, way gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Maybe they paid her. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Can you imagine the mountain of evidence they had that she was bad at her job?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:02 pm 

:lol: thats great

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
thats probably related to the social media dumping

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
BD wrote:

She is an extreme radical and completely off the rails. I don't think more than 5% of liberals (a few of them host on the Score) share similar opinions. Way, way gone.

It's well over half, at least. Most liberals can't say women don't have penises, that parents should be notified if kids change their gender at school, or that weird sex books shouldn't be in school. Julie's views are mainstream in the Democratic Party and the majority of them are in charge of our institutions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:57 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

my imagination isn't strong enough to have ever thought there was an NPR subreddit. Now I must log on and tell them about the tweed sport coat I bought while on vacation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

My FB feed of old friends that are long-standing Democrat apologists has been non-stop since the debate. I've said it many times and will say it again....I completely understand why people do not like Trump and will never vote for him. He has an long resume of being a very bad person. The Biden apologist trend over the last few weeks is just is odd and deranged as the Trump cult. I get supporting anyone but Trump, but to sit here and ignore what's been blatantly obvious about Biden's cognitive state is just sad.

As always, thank you for adding another entry to the Fake Band Names thread "Biden Dead-Enders" :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Keep july in your thoughts tonight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:16 am 

isn't thomas durkin brother to that meanie former head of the illinois republicans? Julie couldn't get a fair trial

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
isn't thomas durkin brother to that meanie former head of the illinois republicans? Julie couldn't get a fair trial

Meanie?

:lol:

Ran into him last week and we chatted for a bit.

He HATES Trump.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:32 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Meanie?

He HATES Trump.

i thought using the word meanie would indicate he's not mean. I think he was pretty well liked by everyone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Meanie?

He HATES Trump.

i thought using the word meanie would indicate he's not mean. I think he was pretty well liked by everyone

What's your read on DiCaro's case?

Can't that mean that they paid her something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:37 pm 

It tells me nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:41 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
“ There was a time when we were begging sports hosts to cover the WNBA and other women’s sports. “Treat them like the men!” we cried. “Don’t act like women’s sports don’t exist!” In hindsight, now that the men are talking about the WNBA, we were so, so wrong.

We’ve known for a while that Stephen A. Smith doesn’t seem to know much about the sports he supposedly watches these days. He’s not the first successful sports host this has happened to. Colin Cowherd and Mike Francesa have both had their share of gaffes, proving that they don’t follow sports quite as closely as they’d like us all to believe. When I hosted sports radio, I would get to the station hours early to start researching stats and preparing for my own show, and I saw guys walk in minutes before their show started, flip on the mic, and start pontificating.”

Lol ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
From the person who insisted Albert Almora was a star-in-waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Julie DiCaro wrote:
“There was a time when we were begging sports hosts to cover the WNBA and other women’s sports. “Treat them like the men!” we cried. “Don’t act like women’s sports don’t exist!” In hindsight, now that the men are talking about the WNBA, we were so, so wrong.

We’ve known for a while that Stephen A. Smith doesn’t seem to know much about the sports he supposedly watches these days. He’s not the first successful sports host this has happened to. Colin Cowherd and Mike Francesa have both had their share of gaffes, proving that they don’t follow sports quite as closely as they’d like us all to believe. When I hosted sports radio, I would get to the station hours early to start researching stats and preparing for my own show, and I saw guys walk in minutes before their show started, flip on the mic, and start pontificating.”

If there was anything Julie was known for during her time at WSCR, it was her work ethic and attention to detail. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
I don't understand her transition from begging men to talk women sports to radio/tv hosts being unprepared

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
billypootons wrote:
I don't understand her transition from begging men to talk women sports to radio/tv hosts being unprepared

It's not that. It's that (ugh) men don't cover it the way she wants it covered.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
“ There was a time when we were begging sports hosts to cover the WNBA and other women’s sports. “Treat them like the men!” we cried. “Don’t act like women’s sports don’t exist!” In hindsight, now that the men are talking about the WNBA, we were so, so wrong.

"talk more hockey, stop talking hockey" for the ladies

Quote:
When I hosted sports radio, I would get to the station hours early to start researching stats and preparing for my own show, and I saw guys walk in minutes before their show started, flip on the mic, and start pontificating.”

Shots fired at Senor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:
When I hosted sports radio, I would get to the station hours early to start researching stats and preparing for my own show, and I saw guys walk in minutes before their show started, flip on the mic, and start pontificating.”

Shots fired at Senor

There's something to be said for keeping thoughts at least sounding contemporaneous, I mean how many times have any of us heard Leery say something he thinks is mic drop worthy which he has clearly been rehearsing for hours? Carolla is the same way in that he refuses to prep because he doesn't want his thoughts to sound fucked out, but where it bites him in the ass is that his contemporaneous bits are just talking about going to the airport and confusing production staff because he changes his mind about what he wants.

Pre-planning every segment down to the thought is just boring, but hey, at least you'll hit all your breaks on time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547, 1548, 1549  Next