It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 75  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Brick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Brick wrote:
I don't think it's realistic to expect greatness from any pick. Of course it is the hope but outperforming Fields by a significant margin would justify moving on from him to Williams.

Caleb is on the very short list of best QB prospects in the history of the sport. He's going to a situation that's better than any situation for a number 1 pick in recent memory, maybe ever. If Odunze lives up to the caliber of prospect he is, Caleb has arguably the best WR group in the NFL. Stroud and Herbert are very recent examples of QBs who were great as rookies, Caleb is a better prospect than both with a better supporting cast than either had.

It's realistic and fair to expect Caleb to be great.

You are cherry picking players here. Herbert and Stroud weren't even the first qbs taken in their draft. We can look at them in hindsight and say they were great.

It's pretty random how a QB performs in year 1 and how it projects to being an elite QB. Lots of HOF QBs either didn't play or didn't play well in their rookie year. Other QBs were great as rookies and fell off.

In the context of "Should the Bears have moved on from Fields" then Williams even being a good quarterback would make it the right choice.

Fields was one of the worst QBs in the NFL, they didn't need to even take a QB in the first round to justify moving on from him.

I'm not saying Caleb needs to be great year 1, but he doesn't really have many excuses to not be. The expectation should be that he is good year 1 and great soon after. The bar should be set fairly high given his prospect profile and the relative strength of the roster he's walking in to.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I don't doubt there will likely be rookie struggles for Caleb, but the bar should be set high. There are some questions with the interior of his line, but he should be expected to play at a high level this season.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:25 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I'm not saying Caleb needs to be great year 1, but he doesn't really have many excuses to not be. The expectation should be that he is good year 1 and great soon after. The bar should be set fairly high given his prospect profile and the relative strength of the roster he's walking in to.
This is pretty different than what you initially said.

As for year 1, lots of great quarterbacks were average in year 1 and lots of quarterbacks that didn't pan out were good to great in year 1. Jordan Love, the 34th best player in the league, didn't even play and now he is only surpassed by 33 other NFL players.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:29 am 
100000 CLUB

The weapons around Caleb should make him good sooner than later. We should see flashes of brilliance sooner than later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:32 am 

Brick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
This is pretty different than what you initially said.

As for year 1, lots of great quarterbacks were average in year 1 and lots of quarterbacks that didn't pan out were good to great in year 1. Jordan Love, the 34th best player in the league, didn't even play and now he is only surpassed by 33 other NFL players.

It's not different from what I initially said. I just clarified about year 1. I don't really care all that much about his rookie season. It's ok if he's not great in his first year starting like Jordan Love was. But the realistic expectation should be that he becomes great by the end of year 3 when he's due to get paid, and probably sooner than that given how strong his entire offensive cast is outside of iOL.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:37 am 

I think the expectation should be more like a top 10 QB and the hope is that he is better than that. If he ends up being Jalen Hurts then that is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:38 am 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
I think the expectation should be more like a top 10 QB and the hope is that he is better than that. If he ends up being Jalen Hurts then that is fine.

It isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:14 am 

I get the feeling we’re going to enter into “he’s Brock Purdy” discussions if Williams is good. How could he not be?? Look at his receivers !!! he was thrown into a great situation !!! etc.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 10:52 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
I get the feeling we’re going to enter into “he’s Brock Purdy” discussions if Williams is good. How could he not be?? Look at his receivers !!! he was thrown into a great situation !!! etc.

the knock on Purdy is Jimmy was pretty successful in the same system and now we know he's a fringe backup type QB at best. Caleb's situation is the opposite, if he is good he will get all the credit.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:01 am 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

the knock on Purdy is Jimmy was pretty successful in the same system and now we know he's a fringe backup type QB at best. Caleb's situation is the opposite, if he is good he will get all the credit.

Solely because of draft position. It took Brady over a decade to gain respect. It took leaving Belichick for the masses to acknowledge that he was the one.

Excluding Caleb at the moment, I would take Purdy over every quarterback not named Mahomes or Burrow. I don't care about the physical gifts. I care most about the effectiveness and winning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:12 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nas wrote:
Brick wrote:

It isn't.

Oh hell no!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:15 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Nas wrote:
The weapons around Caleb should make him good sooner than later. We should see flashes of brilliance sooner than later.

Yup. There should be "wow" plays every game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Caleb Williams should be expected to be good the first year and very good the second year. After that he should be expected to be great. He wasn’t drafted #1 overall because the Bears sucked. He was drafted No.1 overall because Carolina did. If he's "that dude" then we will know the First year even if he doesn't play great consistently.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Purdy’s white and Caleb’s black, of course they’ll give Caleb credit!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Per the Steelers depth chart released yesterday, Russell Wilson is still QB1. Strange despite all the reports of a CPS Teacher and proclaimed NFL Insider telling us the contrary..does anyone else find that "weird"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:
Per the Steelers depth chart released yesterday, Russell Wilson is still QB1. Strange despite all the reports of a CPS Teacher and proclaimed NFL Insider telling us the contrary..does anyone else find that "weird"?

I guess I never realized just how MANY TO's Fields had.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ds-doesnt/

...At 35, some of Wilson’s physical gifts have diminished. But his football IQ remains sharp.

Wilson rushed for 38 first downs last year. On just 80 rushing attempts.

In tight situations, Wilson knows where the sticks are and what to do.

Wilson threw 20 touchdowns and just one interception in the red zone last season. He knows where the end zone is, too.

Wilson isn’t in his prime. But he’s no bum.

So far, Fields is a bum.

Fields won’t come to Pittsburgh from Chicago and turn it around. (Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sure didn’t.) Fields was a first-round flop with the Bears. A turnover machine. Thirty interceptions and 38 fumbles in 40 games.

His skill set lends itself to the occasional impressive moment, not least in practice.

But Fields doesn’t know how to play quarterback at the NFL level. He’s 25. What’s his learning curve at this point?

Kenny Pickett doesn’t know how to play quarterback at the NFL level, either. The Steelers replaced one first-round bust with another.

If Fields has to play, all will be revealed. Just like with Pickett.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:37 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

Oh man unprecedented for the starting QB to retain his job during training camp before a preseason game has actually been played.
Got anymore football "nuggets" that you which to Bestow upon the "class" Writer Bob"? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:42 pm 

Russell Wilson was NOT the starting QB of the Steelers last year. Nor are the Steelers paying him "starter" money this year. Just an FYI for the "Football Expert".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:54 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Russell Wilson was NOT the starting QB of the Steelers last year. Nor are the Steelers paying him "starter" money this year. Just an FYI for the "Football Expert".

I know that you were too busy "penning" the American Novel to notice this, but Mike Tomlin named Russell Wilson the Starter back in March.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... ke-tomlin/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:56 pm 

And updated his depth chart yesterday and guess what, a 1 legged Wilson is still deemed a better option than Fields

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:12 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
And updated his depth chart yesterday and guess what, a 1 legged Wilson is still deemed a better option than Fields

Oh now that's a real shocker to no one besides you apparently. Anymore "Football Nuggets" that you would like to Bestow on the class Writer Bob? Just Asking A Question

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:14 pm 

If there is anything worse than a "Fanboy" it's a "Fanboy" that obsesses over a player that isn't on his team anymore. Anyone else find that (looks for the word) "Weird"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:19 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
If there is anything worse than a "Fanboy" it's a "Fanboy" that obsesses over a player that isn't on his team anymore. Anyone else find that (looks for the word) "Weird"?

What's "weird" is that you are "obsessing" over me "Writer"Bob". Every post that you have made in this thread over the past 5 months has been about me. Don't you find that to be rather "Weird" to say the least?

As a renowned "Writer" :lol: :lol: Shouldn't you have more "subject" matter at your disposal? Just Asking Questions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Seacrest wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I guess I never realized just how MANY TO's Fields had.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ds-doesnt/

...At 35, some of Wilson’s physical gifts have diminished. But his football IQ remains sharp.

Wilson rushed for 38 first downs last year. On just 80 rushing attempts.

In tight situations, Wilson knows where the sticks are and what to do.

Wilson threw 20 touchdowns and just one interception in the red zone last season. He knows where the end zone is, too.

Wilson isn’t in his prime. But he’s no bum.

So far, Fields is a bum.

Fields won’t come to Pittsburgh from Chicago and turn it around. (Mitch (Pro Bowl QB) (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sure didn’t.) Fields was a first-round flop with the Bears. A turnover machine. Thirty interceptions and 38 fumbles in 40 games.

His skill set lends itself to the occasional impressive moment, not least in practice.

But Fields doesn’t know how to play quarterback at the NFL level. He’s 25. What’s his learning curve at this point?

Kenny Pickett doesn’t know how to play quarterback at the NFL level, either. The Steelers replaced one first-round bust with another.

If Fields has to play, all will be revealed. Just like with Pickett.

I'm out of town stupid too then, I thought Pickett could be good still. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:31 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

I find it (looks for the word) weird, weird.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:41 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I find it (looks for the word) weird, weird.

I find "Meatball" Fandom to be "weird" myself

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

It's kinda hard to be a casual fanatic. Fanaticism is meatballism. There are levels to all of it, but if you're a fan, you're a meatball.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:50 pm 

Nas wrote:
It's kinda hard to be a casual fanatic. Fanaticism is meatballism.

I root root root for the home team with the best of em. I also try and be realistic in my assessments. Meatballism really doesn't allow for that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:10 pm 

The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Nas wrote:

I root root root for the home team with the best of em. I also try and be realistic in my assessments. Meatballism really doesn't allow for that sort of thing.

Are you root root rooting for Caleb Williams? What is real is that Field's failed in Chicago and Caleb is the next man up.

I don't know if Caleb will be a Superstar, but I will sure have fun rooting for him to be one this season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:28 pm 

Juiced wrote:
The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Nas wrote:

Are you root root rooting for Caleb Williams? What is real is that Field's failed in Chicago and Caleb is the next man up.

I don't know if Caleb will be a Superstar, but I will sure have fun rooting for him to be one this season.

I'm a Bears fan first and foremost and have been since Armstrong was coaching the team, and before Writer Bob ever bitched and moaned about "DEI QB" Henry Burris being considered a "hot prospect"

There is no doubt in my mind that the best way for the Bears to succeed was to trade the #1 overall for a major haul and keep Fields
If they weren't going to do that then keep both and have them compete for the spot. May the Best guy win.

To give Fields away just to appease an untested, unproven Rookie made little sense to me. Particularly when your head coach needs it to work in order to save his job. And maybe yours as GM.

If I'm wrong about Caleb then I will own it. But I don't think that I will be. When I've watched him I just don't see "Generational talent". What I see is an undersized QB with an above average arm but hardly a cannon. I also see a guy that has good but not great speed.

When I watched Justin Fields play I easily saw the most talented and physically gifted QB to ever put on a Bears uniform.

The Bears went all in on this kid little do people know. If he flops given the investment in him, then the franchise will be set back for at least 5 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 75  Next