It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Uncle Jerry
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
An editorial in today's Trib addresses the topic:

https://digitaledition.chicagotribune.c ... d5b46b0b73

Quote:
We see the benefits to the families of this 6,000-seat music theater, which will give them a venue that offers far more seats than typical traditional theaters (the outdated Arie Crown Theatre, as a point of comparison, has 4,188 seats, Madison Square Garden Entertainment’s busy Chicago Theater has 3,600 seats and the struggling Auditorium Theatre has 3,875 spots) and thus allows for higher grosses. This new venue will be attractive to figures such as John Oliver, who don’t want to play impersonal arenas, but who did a “double” at the Chicago Theater last year and could make as much money in the new place by telling his jokes only once. It might also be possible for Chicago to fight back against the growing number of Las Vegas “residences” of stars such as Adele or Katy Perry. Why should Sin City have all of that business?

But there is no question that this new venue will pull business from the historic theaters in the Loop, vital to that still struggling neighborhood and surrounded by restaurants and other pieces of infrastructure. The Brandon Johnson administration also should remember it has done next to nothing about the gorgeous and historic Uptown Theatre, a potential catalyst for that diverse but economically uneven neighborhood but that still sits unrestored. That has to get done.

Also true: The venue will put more pressure on the city’s smaller arenas, such as the Wintrust Arena and the Credit Union 1 Arena at the University of Illinois Chicago. There is only so much high-demand product to go around, although competition is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you see this development as adding to the overall economic pie rather than slicing it in a different way. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
$7bn.

Spent by the Reinsdorf and wirtz families.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
I think that and the Park West are the last two big venues I haven't really been to. Took a pass on LCD Soundsystem last May. People don't speak warmly of the acoustics. But yeah, I wasn't counting the Aragon or Radius because they're not really auditoriums per se.

I think I've only purposely searched out shows at the Park West about two times in my life, so this is not an observation that has a lot of empirical data behind it, but the Park West seems to have fallen out of the rotation. In the 90's, it seemed like it was comparable to Metro in terms of the number, and quality of acts, that would come through. Now, I never hear it mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
a retard wrote:
Quote:
The Brandon Johnson administration also should remember it has done next to nothing about the gorgeous and historic Uptown Theatre, a potential catalyst for that diverse but economically uneven neighborhood but that still sits unrestored. That has to get done.

Why does the editorial board think Brandon Johnson would do something about the giant blighted concert venue just sitting there? He has a black wife and black kids.

But that's a good point about the UIC Pavilion. Wintrust Arena is a stiff competitor for arena dates that would have gone there. Speaking of venues that are out of the rotation, I feel like that's another one we don't hear as much about.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm 

Sounds like Chicago has too many theaters that suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:36 pm 

Brick wrote:
Sounds like Chicago has too many theaters that suck.

Hardly think that's the case. And I'm not sure how much business this would pull from the theaters in the Loop that are fully committed to Broadway and such. The Palace and the Oriental (excuse me, the Nederlander) aren't really in the same conversation with the Chicago Theater.

If it's a threat to anyone, I would say the Salt Shed, which fits about 4,000 and is also brand-new. But like the Aragon, that's not really a traditional auditorium, either. It's one little scoop of stadium seating, a mezzanine, and a big floor. But a lot of money went into it, whereas I don't think there's much getting pumped into the Riv.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:28 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I think that and the Park West are the last two big venues I haven't really been to. Took a pass on LCD Soundsystem last May. People don't speak warmly of the acoustics. But yeah, I wasn't counting the Aragon or Radius because they're not really auditoriums per se.

I think I've only purposely searched out shows at the Park West about two times in my life, so this is not an observation that has a lot of empirical data behind it, but the Park West seems to have fallen out of the rotation. In the 90's, it seemed like it was comparable to Metro in terms of the number, and quality of acts, that would come through. Now, I never hear it mentioned.

The Park West is a horrible venue. I never understood how it has survived over time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Something fishy about this.

I think Jerry's friends are asking him to be the front man. His friends are flipping the bill for it. For their self interests. Not for the greater good of the community. That might happen. Not why they're doing it. Bunch of investors of putting in billions hoping to double it over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:20 am 

No one thinks they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They saw what the Rickettses were able to do with a captured neighborhood and they want to do the same. And fish profile picture dads are apoplectic because they're afraid of losing parking lots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Douchebag wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The Park West is a horrible venue. I never understood how it has survived over time.

I dunno. I've seen a bunch of shows there and haven't found it to be worse than the Riviera.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:09 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
$7bn.

Spent by the Reinsdorf and wirtz families.

This, I can guarantee you, is not true.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Tall Midget wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I dunno. I've seen a bunch of shows there and haven't found it to be worse than the Riviera.

I've heard good things about the Salt Shed but have not been there. The Riviera has the crowded foyers / concourses you'd expect for an old building, but in terms of it's size, still a great room for bands. It's been over 20 years since I've stepped foot in the Metro, but my memory is it feeling very similar to the Riviera.

The Aragon is still a National Treasure and I wish more bands played there. Slayer 2013 was my last visit tot he Brawlroom.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:18 am 

The Vic, Metro, and Riviera all have a similar "been around forever under twenty coats of paint" feel, but the Riviera is twice the size of the other two. I was surprised by how small the Metro felt when I saw the Afghan Whigs there.

The indoor side of the Salt Shed is a cool building, very nice lobby, but it's a long, flat floor, and if you were way in the back but not in the risers, I don't think you'd have a good time. I was like six rows back, give or take, for Belle & Sebastian, and that worked out well, except for egress, where I almost missed my train, but that's my fault for having a stay-till-house-lights policy. Overall, always had a good experience with the Shed/Thalia/Space family, and speaking of them, I wonder if they and JAM have something to say about this concert hall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
the Riv is an absolute dump. I went to something at the Aragon last fall for the first time in years, and it actually seemed in better overall shape than the Riv.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:47 pm 

I don't know what the bathroom situation is there, but I can't imagine it's remotely good.

I was there like three times in a month last year (Wilco, M83, Caroline Polachek) and didn't really have any issues. I feel like it would really suck in the winter, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:05 pm 

i'm basically at the point were venue is a big consideration for me
i'll go to pretty much anything at Empty Bottle or Thalia.
It's got to be something reasonably special to get me to go to Riv, Aragon, Vic or any of those Jam shitholes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:16 am 

A successful (well, eventually) project undaunted by "but where will people park?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:27 pm 

Has anyone been to Outset yet? I'm going there later this month to see Why?, was supposed to go for Julia Holter in May but they had to move it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:58 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Has anyone been to Outset yet? I'm going there later this month to see Why?, was supposed to go for Julia Holter in May but they had to move it.

yea i'm going in November for the Slaps, haven't been yet either .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:48 am 

Bagels wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

yea i'm going in November for the Slaps, haven't been yet either .

Well, I made it there last night for the Why? concert/Ella Emhoff lookalike contest, and I thought it was a pretty cool place. Five-minute walk from the Clybourn junction, which is perfect for me. The pre-show courtyard is a neat idea that I kinda wish more venues had the real estate for. Prepare for security to get a big handful of your balls on the way in; I presume that's SOP and not my own personal charm at work.

Inside, it's basically Lincoln Hall but with a bigger balcony that comes closer to the stage and I want to say a shallower floor, but I'm really bad at eyeballing measurements. The bars all have that all vaguely strip-clubby look of red-LED accent lighting. The sound system, though, was terrific. Doesn't have the charm of Thalia Hall or even Lincoln Hall, but since it's only an hour doorstep to doorstep for me, I hope I have more occasions to go there. Can't make Avalon Emerson on Friday, sadly.

Kind of annoyed that Why? only played 65 minutes of mostly new stuff after coming on at 9:55. I thought all these acts from 2007-2008 that I keep seeing know we're here to hear the hits, but they barely did anything off Elephant Eyelash and Alopecia, and when they did play "Fatalist Palmistry" for the encore, it was as an acoustic. Ah well, they can't all be Wilco noodling for 2+ hours.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:42 am 

sounds cool. I will say the fact they are Ticketmaster is annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:01 am 

Bagels wrote:

Yeah, that surprised me, because Radius is AXS and everyone hates Ticketmaster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:10 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Yeah, that surprised me, because Radius is AXS and everyone hates Ticketmaster.

well the Slaps are a local band, i wouldn't say super popular, their last show was as Hideout- so i'm like i have to go through Ticketmaster for this ???

i obv prefer the Lincoln Hall/Schubas/Empty Bottle approach where it's just all will call. Just show your ID that's it. Nothing to download or apps to install or any other bullshit.