It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bears: Hard Knocks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:55 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Nas wrote:
Poles gets another coach if Flus collapses. He’s safe.

I'm not sure he wants another. He's all in on Eberflus. I'm buying what he's selling too.

He may be the only man in history who’s actually changed public perception with a beard.

This is a long term marriage.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... e-imagined

I'm all in on Poles. Three years is NOT a faster rebuild than anyone imagined in the NFL. That's a fairly common time line. BEARSSSSSS!

It's been 2 years for a complete gut. You're wrong.

Yeah, no.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Can you point me to organizations that completely overhauled their roster, got out of cap hell, got out of no draft picks hell, and had the pieces in place for long term success by the start of Year 3? Since this is common, I imagine the list will be long.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:22 am 

Nas wrote:
Can you point me to organizations that completely overhauled their roster, got out of cap hell, got out of no draft picks hell, and had the pieces in place for long term success by the start of Year 3? Since this is common, I imagine the list will be long.

Sounds like something the Packers recently did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:44 am 

Nas wrote:

Yes. Let me plug all of your parameters into the computer and see what it spits out.

1/3 of rosters overturn every year for almost every team. If it was not turned around by year 3, I, and most fans, would be calling for his head. Even Ryan Pace had a 12 win team by year 4, and he's held in low esteem by everyone around here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:44 am 
100000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
Nas wrote:

No,you've had the same coach and GM for about a decade. Your quarterback has been around for 5 seasons. The Bears have 3 active players who were around before this regime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:48 am 

Nas wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Nas wrote:

No,you've had the same coach and GM for about a decade. Your quarterback has been around for 5 seasons. The Bears have 3 active players who were around before this regime.

Not close to a decade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:58 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yes. Let me plug all of your parameters into the computer and see what it spits out.

1/3 of rosters overturn every year for almost every team. If it was not turned around by year 3, I, and most fans, would be calling for his head. Even Ryan Pace had a 12 win team by year 4, and he's held in low esteem by everyone around here.

So what you are saying is you can't identify one. Shocking!

Pace didn't reside over a gut rebuild. He mortgaged the future via the cap and draft for that popup season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:59 am 
100000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
Nas wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Nas wrote:

Not close to a decade.

Year 6?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They still had Rodgers and were in a shitty division. Quite the miracle turnaround.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:54 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

So what you are saying is you can't identify one. Shocking!

Pace didn't reside over a gut rebuild. He mortgaged the future via the cap and draft for that popup season.

How about the Texans?

Gut rebuild...what does that even mean? The only constant for teams is a great QB. The Patriots constantly turned over their roster, with no sentimentality. Even the historically young Packers got younger in the off season.

Poles' work doesn't even fit the some of the parameters you lay out. He's done a good job so far. Everyone expects wins by year 3 of any GMs work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:37 am 
100000 CLUB

The Texans are a great comp, even though they had more holdovers at the beginning of Year 3. Last year, Nick Caserio wasn't going to be on the hot seat if the Texans sucked. In fact, there were no expectations for them to play well or make the playoffs. They surprised the league by winning a shit division with a rookie quarterback and head coach. MANY would consider this season a failure if the Bears didn't make the playoffs in a great division.

You know what a gut rebuild is. Poles inherited a shit roster that didn't have a first round pick and was in absolute cap hell. Turning the Bears around wasn't as simple as churning 1/3 of the roster like every team does nearly every year. Also, unlike the Texans, he didn't have an asset that could net 3 first round picks when he walked in the door. Poles got rid of virtually everything. Only Kmet, Johnson, and Jenkins remain from the Pace era. He fixed the cap, and next year the Bears will have their first round pick for three consecutive years for the first time in nearly a decade. This turnaround isn't common.

What area doesn't fit? Your Texans comp is proof that wins aren't expected by Year 3 of a GM's work when he's doing more than remodeling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:17 pm 

Nas wrote:
The Texans are a great comp, even though they had more holdovers at the beginning of Year 3. Last year, Nick Caserio wasn't going to be on the hot seat if the Texans sucked. In fact, there were no expectations for them to play well or make the playoffs. They surprised the league by winning a shit division with a rookie quarterback and head coach. MANY would consider this season a failure if the Bears didn't make the playoffs in a great division.

You know what a gut rebuild is. Poles inherited a shit roster that didn't have a first round pick and was in absolute cap hell. Turning the Bears around wasn't as simple as churning 1/3 of the roster like every team does nearly every year. Also, unlike the Texans, he didn't have an asset that could net 3 first round picks when he walked in the door. Poles got rid of virtually everything. Only Kmet, Johnson, and Jenkins remain from the Pace era. He fixed the cap, and next year the Bears will have their first round pick for three consecutive years for the first time in nearly a decade. This turnaround isn't common.

What area doesn't fit? Your Texans comp is proof that wins aren't expected by Year 3 of a GM's work when he's doing more than remodeling.

This is why I didn't go through a long winded analysis. You ask to name teams. I name one. You acknowledge it is comparable. Then you argue it isn't comparable. Of course, you are correct, because these are unique items where there is no 1:1 comparison.

He didn't get out of no draft picks hell. In fact, he has been notably aggressive in trading multiple high draft picks in his time. He would have traded once again this year with Judon but was saved from the mistake. I don't believe he has ever drafted with the full set of picks to which he was originally entitled and won't next year because of Booker.

Again, I like his work. I would have expected wins by year 3 at the time of his hiring. Maybe we should look at what everyone thought on the day he was hired for some perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

You picked a GM that wasn't expected to win in Year 3 of a gut rebuild. Nick Casario could have made it to next year before he felt any fire.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Warren: What would Papa Bear do?

Fire this motherfucker right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Nas wrote:

:lol: Yeah, he would.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Poles crying when he cuts a guy reminds me of his uncontrollable sobbing during his intro conference…which reminds me he’s probably been more lucky than good…which makes me extremely concerned he’s running roster moves by Lyle Lanley, Esq…which makes me spiral into concern on opening day eve eve.

Don’t like it.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:49 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:

:lol: Yeah, he would.

If Mama Bear hasn’t allowed swearing on Hard Knocks, no way is that what Papa Bear would say. That generation always respected the wives.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:56 pm 

The Lions Hard Knocks season made me go all-in on Ben Johnson. They spent half the series filming Duce Staley ranting like a lunatic, making it appear like he was running the offense. I’m not sure Johnson made an appearance beyond sitting in the background. It’s like he intentionally allowed Staley to attract all the attention so that he could do his job.

I got similar vibes from Ian Cunningham in this episode. Poles is no Staley but I’m starting to think every intentional decision that worked out was Cunningham. The lucky stuff I’ll give to Poles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Lions Hard Knocks season made me go all-in on Ben Johnson. They spent half the series filming Duce Staley ranting like a lunatic, making it appear like he was running the offense. I’m not sure Johnson made an appearance beyond sitting in the background. It’s like he intentionally allowed Staley to attract all the attention so that he could do his job.

I got similar vibes from Ian Cunningham in this episode. Poles is no Staley but I’m starting to think every intentional decision that worked out was Cunningham. The lucky stuff I’ll give to Poles.

Cunningham doesn't do well speaking publicly and no one wants to hire him. I've suspected Poles and the Bears are trying to get Cunningham a GM job. They get a couple of 3rd round picks if he's hired. If Poles was incompetent, a scout or someone else would have leaked it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I didn't necessarily find this compelling TV but do feel that the Bears seemed to get out of it without looking completely inept and as a fan I don't feel embarrassed about the organization the way they spun it. We will see what the product on the field looks like. With any luck at all they shouldn't have to be asked to do this show for many, many years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:40 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I didn't necessarily find this compelling TV but do feel that the Bears seemed to get out of it without looking completely inept and as a fan I don't feel embarrassed about the organization the way they spun it. We will see what the product on the field looks like. With any luck at all they shouldn't have to be asked to do this show for many, many years.

I think that was what the Mc Caskeys always feared and it wasn't realized

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Nas wrote:

Especially with the MANY neat 6" stacks of papers arranged carefully on his desk. Surely one of his minions could find a file cabinet in which to store them? No way he is going to read them all so they must be staged to make him look busy and important.

As opposed to Poles' desk, which looks every bit like a proper desk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Adrian Colbert has accumulated over 5 million in career earnings during his journeyman career. The crying is a bit much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Caller Bob wrote:
Adrian Colbert has accumulated over 5 million in career earnings during his journeyman career. The crying is a bit much.

Source please? I can only verify $3.5M

https://overthecap.com/player/adrian-colbert/5815
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/earn ... an-colbert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:17 am 

a retard wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Fine 3.5M. My point stands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
a genius wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Football is an emotional sport. It shows that Poles cares. That's good for recruiting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Began to find the show to be almost insulting, it started out poorly and devolved into a poorly edited reality show.

The show really, really, really, tried to portray Eberflus as a sympathetic figure, but no matter how much they edited the show and how much screen time they gave to him and his family he still comes across as a cliche riddled goof.

Poles seems to be the guy running the show, but again, they tried so hard to portray him as an emotive caring GM that it was insulting, notice they did not show any of the cuts where they called the guys in and said, you suck and can't play in this league.

Kevin Warren dresses really nice, but appears to be earning a large salary for doing absolutely nothing for 99% of the day.

Wish we could move past the COVID era strategy of having PR staff select and place books and pictures in the background that make people look like they really care about things, because George Halas would fire half the excessive staff in the building to save money. The guy that was notorious for "throwing nickles around like they were manhole covers", would bitch slap George for having the team president waste money printing up stacks of paper to put on his desk just to make him look connected on TV.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:26 am 

Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
a genius wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Football is an emotional sport. It shows that Poles cares. That's good for recruiting.

Is it cry worthy? 3.5 million (figure 1.2-1.5 million thanks to the taxes in all those Demo-RATIC cities he played in) is a nice starting point. Not enough to retire, but hopefully he's managed his money well and hopefully has his mortgage at least paid off. He had a full ride to Texas (degree and no student loans)so if football is done, maybe he can carve out a decent career in coaching or business.

There's been players in much worse circumstances. If it's that emotional they could have kept him over Simone Biles' husband.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:28 am 

The montage of Williams throwing it all over the field was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:38 am 
100000 CLUB

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
a genius wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Is it cry worthy? 3.5 million (figure 1.2-1.5 million thanks to the taxes in all those Demo-RATIC cities he played in) is a nice starting point. Not enough to retire, but hopefully he's managed his money well and hopefully has his mortgage at least paid off. He had a full ride to Texas (degree and no student loans)so if football is done, maybe he can carve out a decent career in coaching or business.

There's been players in much worse circumstances. If it's that emotional they could have kept him over Simone Biles' husband.

He has a cool story about resilience. He was almost killed by a biological woman driver as a kid and he has been grinding for an opportunity to stick. People root for guys like that.

He talked about going into coaching. At 27, that may be best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next