It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 am 
1000 CLUB

Just think, they had LT, Michael Turner and Sproles on that team last year.

Sproles was 10 pounds when he was born. That's been beaten into my head by Al Michaels.

The dude is incredibly fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Any chance Garrett Wolfe becomes anything like Sproles?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 am 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:

Hell no, they've got totally different builds. Sproles legs are like thick pistons, churning for every extra yard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Oven Grinders
Good game plan by Rivera. Good for him. I'm curious to see how he does this week. But it certainly looks like Rivera is making a difference so far. My beef with him his is playoff performance so hopefully he can continue to keep teams under 20 points.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Rivera's stock is on the rise again. He's turned around a brutal defense and shut down the league MVP, who was playing on the hottest team going into the playoffs.

I find it hard to believe the Chargers will make much more noise in the playoffs. A warm weather team in Pittsburgh without LT doesn't strike me as a team with much of a chance.

Sproles is having a helluva 'contract run' the past month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm 

spmack wrote:

Well Sproles was 10 lbs when he was born, and Wolfe probably reached 10 lbs by the time he was 5 years old, so maybe in five years or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Great thoughts from Mike Mulligan on this today:

The Bears (Grid's correction: actually LOVIE SMITH) replaced Rivera when they were having success and now won't do the same with Babich despite not having success. Where is the accountability? Babich is a close friend of coach Lovie Smith and the only coach Smith brought with him from St. Louis in 2004. Babich has received two promotions, first adding the assistant head coach title to his job as linebackers coach, then to defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. He has received a bump in pay with each promotion and is believed to be the highest-paid assistant on Smith's staff.

The Bears have built their program on continuity in the starting lineup, losing only wide receiver Bernard Berrian during Smith's tenure in terms of starters they wanted to bring back. Pity they haven't been able to do the same with their coaching staff. Smith now will look for his fourth defensive line coach, presumably Rod Marinelli, and is looking for his fourth defensive backs coach.

Don't forget Rivera wanted to bring Leslie Frazier to Chicago, but the move was rejected by Smith. Frazier, another former Bears player, is now the defensive coordinator in Minnesota and will be interviewing for head-coaching jobs.

Face it: Lovie wants to be the D-Coordinator still. He's laughably pissing down his pants leg since he got his new contract. The above paragraphs from Mulligan say it all. Lovie Smith's worst nightmare was Rivera turning around that San Diego defense and shutting down Manning and the Colts. Meanwhile Bob Babich remains employed. Hey Lovie - WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I agree Grid, but honestly who gives a shit right now?

The Bears aren't in the playoffs, and if they were the games would not have been near as entertaining as this past weekends' were. Lovie's permenantly dumbfounded look and 2 yard runs up the middle pale in comparison to the excitement that were the 2 Saturday games. Lovie is fucking up this team almost as bad as Wanstedt did and he is right where he deserves to be for the 2nd year in a row during the playoffs; sitting on his ass watching the games on TV.

Fuck the Bears. When do pitchers and catchers report?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 pm 

NFL is year round my friend. The drama is playing out right now. Then it's off to the combine and draft... Football season never ends :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 am 

... and after 6 playoff games at DC Rivera still averages 24 points allowed per game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 am 
1000 CLUB

While the Chargers defense didn't play well yesterday, let's also keep in mind:

A) They lost by 11 points on the road and if it weren't for a special teams TD and a punt bouncing off a special teamers head - the score would have been MUCH tighter.

B) After Sproles has a momentum changing return - Philip Rivers throws the ball away on the first play (that was the end of the game as far as I was concerned)

C) 12 carries for 15 yards

D) Rivers under durress most of the game - being sacked 4 times

With that said - Ron Rivera's departure from the Bears was a turning point for this defense - they haven't been the same since. ...and the same can be said for the Chargers defense in 2008 - without Chico's promotion - they don't make the playoffs and we're not even having this conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:04 pm 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
While the Chargers defense didn't play well yesterday, let's also keep in mind:

A) They lost by 11 points on the road and if it weren't for a special teams TD and a punt bouncing off a special teamers head - the score would have been MUCH tighter.

B) After Sproles has a momentum changing return - Philip Rivers throws the ball away on the first play (that was the end of the game as far as I was concerned)

C) 12 carries for 15 yards

D) Rivers under durress most of the game - being sacked 4 times

With that said - Ron Rivera's departure from the Bears was a turning point for this defense - they haven't been the same since. ...and the same can be said for the Chargers defense in 2008 - without Chico's promotion - they don't make the playoffs and we're not even having this conversation.

Yeah thats it its rivera...not that losing Shawne Merriman threw em off for the first couple weeks and they learned to play without him

No I like your rivera theory.

Change your moniker...its embarassing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm 

Oh look Rivera's defense gives up 35 points and the next day he's being considered for a head coaching job. I just don't get it.

Give me Rex Ryan any day of the week. He's the real deal when it comes to DC's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
A) They lost by 11 points on the road

The game was nowhere near as close as that final score would indicate.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thug wrote:
Oh look Rivera's defense gives up 35 points and the next day he's being considered for a head coaching job. I just don't get it.

Actually Rivera's defense gave up 28 points - but if you guys want to continue to trot out your jibberish - have at it.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:31 pm 

Thug wrote:

I was just looking over this thread when I realized how I called this prior to Ryan getting the HC gig.

2009 playffs Jets 17 SD 14. ROTF.... Rivera couldn't stop the force known as rookie Mark Sanchez.