All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Puppies for Sale
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Yes, the Boxers have a short tight coat and only need occasional
brushing. They still shed but it just isn't as noticeable with
shorter hair. Very good with kids but can play kind of rough so
maybe not best with real little ones. Lots of good dogs out there
but if you do your research you will find one that works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
German Shepards are also big, but very loyal and good with kids.

My dog is 65 pounds, Husky Shepard mix. We adopted her from the Animal Welfare as a 3 month old puppy. She's the friendliest animal I've ever known. I believe her temperment is so good because we adopted her so young, for the most part, somebody was always home with her early on, and she had a ton of toys, so there was no reason for her to chew up shoes or anything that wasn't hers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
The bichons typically range from about 4 to 8 pounds in females and 6 to 12 pounds in males. They are actually herding dogs, which I found hard to believe.

They are extremely loyal and good with kids though.

But I think I have all three sold - the male for sure...

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
hmmm...i want a dog.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:25 pm 

Nas wrote:
NSJ wrote:
Labs are usually big.

I may have been thinking of another dog but I didn't know they got that big. Really I'm up for suggestions. Since I know I'm going to be the one doing the heavy lifting I would prefer not to have a dog that makes me look gay walking around the neighborhood or the park. No offense to any guy here that owns a small dog.

Nas,
We got our Beagle/golden(?) mix as a 6 week old puppy through petfinder.com & Aurora Rover Rescue. Fully grown he's about 45lb's, super friendly and loves kids.

It's a great site that allows you to search by breed/age/size & location.

http://www.petfinder.com/search/search. ... cago%2C+il

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:34 pm 

My sister has a beagle and that thing is fuckin nuts. He'll be a lazy piece of crap one minute then if he smells food or sees the mailman he acts like he's possessed by satan. He's really good with the kids but far too sheddy and crappy for my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
I'd highly recommend a lab mix or a purebred - great disposition, loyal, and pretty damn smart for a dog (or a pantsless internet cretin). Go the route of adoption from a shelter to save one of those sorry bastards' lives...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
A friend's lab/something mix dog stayed with us for a while when they were out of town. Perfect behavior. Super friendly and smart. The downsides are the stinky breath which gets a little dusgusting when you first get back after an extended walk or run and shedding.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
You really have to do your research. There are plusses and minuses to every breed, and many have genetic problems that manifest themselves later in life that you need to be aware of. Some breeds (especially the bigger ones) need lots of exercise. Some need lots of grooming.

If you go purebred make sure it is from a legit breeder and not a puppymill. Puppymill dogs can be more prone to health problems.

Since you have a kid, make sure the breed you select is good with kids. You don't want a high-strung dog that is going to freak out if a little kid puts his hand in the dog's dish while it is eating. You may teach your kid not to but he may have a friend over that does not know how to act around dogs.

I don't like cleaning up big piles of sh*t, I don't like a lot of dog hair, and I don't live on a farm. So I prefer smaller dogs. We had a Boston Terrier. He was good with our kids and he did not make me look gay. In fact women often came up and talked to me when I was walking him. Normally women ignore me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 pm 

For what it's worth, IMO, big dogs often are more even-tempered. Labs and Golden retrievers are highly recommended "family dogs". Very smart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 pm 
Keyser Soze wrote:
My sister has a beagle and that thing is fuckin nuts. He'll be a lazy piece of crap one minute then if he smells food or sees the mailman he acts like he's possessed by satan. He's really good with the kids but far too sheddy and crappy for my liking.

That's because your sister's beagle didn't drink from the Calder Cup like mine did :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
man of few opinions wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
a spaniel or beagle always works.

I have some experience with a couple beagles in the past, and have a friend with one now, and without sounding like i am putting down an entire breed of dog, I'd be careful with them. They can be pretty noisy and jumpy and wild. Thats not to say they can't be trained to behave very well, i am sure there are some great beagles out there, but I am here to say that they are not naturally the easiest dog to dive in with.

As most of you know, my heart belongs to, and has been broken by, beagles. BUT they are very stubborn and hard to train. But once they win your heart...that's it. It's over. True love. And when they disappear....well, I'm still not over that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm 
Houston Homer wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
a spaniel or beagle always works.

I have some experience with a couple beagles in the past, and have a friend with one now, and without sounding like i am putting down an entire breed of dog, I'd be careful with them. They can be pretty noisy and jumpy and wild. Thats not to say they can't be trained to behave very well, i am sure there are some great beagles out there, but I am here to say that they are not naturally the easiest dog to dive in with.

As most of you know, my heart belongs to, and has been broken by, beagles. BUT they are very stubborn and hard to train. But once they win your heart...that's it. It's over. True love. And when they disappear....well, I'm still not over that.

+1