It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: After one week,
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

what do the Mac fans think? I've only caught a few minutes a couple of times and wonder how everyone grades the show. I certainly can't grade it, I haven't heard much of it.

Post subject: Re: After one week,
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Score is doomed wrote:
what do the Mac fans think?

We all still think you're an asshole. :wink: :drunken:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

STU-GOTZ wrote:
Quote:
Score is doomed wrote:
what do the Mac fans think?

We all still think you're an asshole. :wink: :drunken:

No problem Stu, as you know-I don't really care. :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm 

I really like the show, it is great to have Mac back on the air.

Meatpants does tend to get a little over the top at times, but I think he will grow into his role as things progress.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I hope it does well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't like it or dislike it. It's a little blah. I don't know if I set my expectations too high or am kind of feeling this everybody is just happy to be here vibe but something is not clicking for me. I don't laugh and I'm not really into a lot of what they are saying. It's just there right now and it maybe a matter of time to develop. I do like that they are prepared and discuss sports for a good deal of time.

Matt says damn and hell a lot too and as others have stated the game show voice is weird.

I think this let it all hang out Tuesday or gloves off whatever is a little weird too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
The first week was a little uninspiring, but today's show was the first one that really flew by, and on a side note, I'm not impressed with the crosstalk, I wish they would cut that out...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I hope that this is a trial period with Spiegel...and that someone else will be paired with Mac, or they add a 3rd guy in the booth. Either way I think Jurko will bo on the air with Mac again soon. 2 meatballs, wow!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I'll be honest and preface my comment with the fact that I'm a friend and fan of Mac's, which makes me part of the Mac ALS (I guess). :roll:

That being said, I think that Mac and Matt's show has a different feel than The Afternoon Saloon. It's a bit weird to hear Mac in the morning time slot and it's taking me a little time to get adjusted to hearing him during that time (feels like a fish out of water). I'm sensing a bit of friendly tension in certain circumstances between Mac & Matt (which can be a good thing). Sometimes it seems like Spiegs is trying a bit to hard to catch up to Mac's energy level and it comes across as being a bit fake. Matt has an outstanding voice (speaking and singing) and his baseball knowledge is vast; I'd like to hear a little more of that. So far, I think they're working well together and I'll be tuned in as much as possible. It'll take a little time for them to gell and for the chemistry to come together, but I'm sure it won't take long. I also think that Mac needs to quit admitting that he almost called out the ESPN phone number as I think that one week is enough of a grace period for not calling out the right number. So those are my random thoughts on their show so far.

Oh, and still like the crosstalk if Terry is there. That's when I laugh the most. I agree with Spaulding about the Gloves Off Tuesday segment not lasting very long. Is that just for the Cubs/Sox series?

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm 

This is a tough one. For the most part I am enjoying hearing Mac on the air again. While I don't dislike Silvy & Waddle, they can be a bit vanilla at times (though I loved Silvy giving Bruce a smack down the other day) so I lean toward the "edgier" Mac. On the flip side, Matt is weighing the show down for me. As I've said elsewhere on this board, he needs to understand that it's the Danny Mac Show and that he's the second banana, which is not a bad thing - just ask Ed McMahon. So far it seems Mac isn't steering the show like he did down the dial with the two meatheads. It seems he has been willing to let Meatpants run wild at times and I think that's a mistake. After all, we didn't hear continual promo spots trumpeting the glorious return of Meatpants to the Score day after day did we? So, in short, I need a bit more Danny and much less Matt.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
First off, this show is a serious upgrade from Napoleon & The Stutterer show and the Mr. Mustache 5 lbs. in a 2 lbs. bag show. Could you imagine any of the former accomplishing the Coppock and Shear interviews from last week?

Enjoy that the open is replayed at 11 and the 10 o'clock rejoin repeats at noon. Love the bumper music. People still listening to 1975 music currently is like people in 1975 bumpin' around listening to the Glenn Miller Band. For the record I enjoy listening to the Drive and used to love listening to the old 104.3 when they played music from before 1963...

I'm glad Mac doesn't have the joke and the jock weighing down the program literally and figureitively. Harry needed to be kept on the shortest of leashes and Jurco needed a cattle prod to stay interested in a segment if it was beyond the realm of the pigskin.

Used to listen to Speigs when he was on SNR. So I'm a fan and indeed like the pairing.

What are the dislikes of the show? Don't like the clock. That short segment at the end of the hour. Yuck. Make it a Speigs only segment so Mac can enjoy that Cowboy Killer Light throughly. Or go to commercial after the update at the bottom of the hour. Something.Talk about kids? Keep it. But, a happy host makes a better show. Save it for February when radio hell freezes over and it will keep Mac off the NBA beat too.

Unfortunately, there will be more song parodies now that the worlds biggest songbird in riding in the sidecar. At least he has actual pipes and ability. Sounded like somebody pulling on cattails when the songs when on up the dial.

Sound drops. Where are my drops?? I'm petty and juvenile, but I know they will come when the four exec. producers :lol: get in the flow of things in the next couple of weeks. Stop with the pandering to the leftover H&H and Murph listeners. Don't remember Mac saying, " Hey HUGE listeners, both of you, we're the new afternoon show...". Let it go. Don't remember AC/DC starting or reminding during the show on the For Those About to Rock tour that Bon Scott is dead, here's the new guy. Maybe they did, I didn't go to any of those shows on that tour and wouldn't have rememered much from that era since I was four years old at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 am 

It's week one. This is not even close to the show it will become in six months and therefore not worthy of analysis.

MJH were unlistinable at the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
JohnKirk wrote:
I hope that this is a trial period with Spiegel...and that someone else will be paired with Mac, or they add a 3rd guy in the booth. Either way I think Jurko will bo on the air with Mac again soon. 2 meatballs, wow!

You have an issue with meatballs? but you enjoy the Mike North insight? and remember, just a matter of time before North ends up with Webio. the entity DH brought to him, but he just happen to have his wife buy the same domain name a year before he know about it, which is truely amazing. Who would have thunk it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
with the crosstalk, why can't it end in like 2 minutes if it's not flowing naturally? if the guys are going at it and it is entertaining, let it go for the full 15. play it by ear.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:37 am 

you need at least 3 months to grade a show

thus far on a scale of 1-10 I give it a Q

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
The show is a serious upgrade for the Score lineup. They will get a month to work out some kinks and you should get a real indication of its potential when they go to Bourbon-yeah next month for Bears talk.

So far the show has far exceeded my expectations for the early going. I haven't decided if I like Spiegel's voice or not but it is distinctive. At least you know who's talking when you hear it and that, I imagine, has to be good for anyone that makes their living using their pipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
bigfan wrote:
JohnKirk wrote:

You have an issue with meatballs? but you enjoy the Mike North insight? and remember, just a matter of time before North ends up with Webio. the entity DH brought to him, but he just happen to have his wife buy the same domain name a year before he know about it, which is truely amazing. Who would have thunk it?

I never said that I had a problem with meatballs.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
The show is a serious upgrade for the Score lineup. .

Yes. I guess if I was to grade anything it would be the totality of the changes that have been made. Absolutely love overnight local programming, don't like B and B ending at 5, like both Mac and Spiegel, don't like the choices for evening and overnight hosts. In short great moves with some questionable execution.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
JohnKirk wrote:
bigfan wrote:
JohnKirk wrote:

I never said that I had a problem with meatballs.

I do ... they're a distraction when I'm trying to eat pasta, because it's rather gauche to eat an entire one in a single bite, and since you have to therefore dissect it it, not only do you have to do so very Solomon-like so as not to short yourself on a given bite, you also risk cutting the pasta which just makes more problems eating it and the whole production ends up a huge mess. Just put meat in the gravy itself or go without, dammit.

Last edited by Don Tiny on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
B&B end at 6, not 5.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
And Holmes evening show was probably the biggest surprise of the week's programming to me last week. I was seeking out a radio to listen at times when I was working.

I knew Mac's show would be good but LH easing into that spot was an added benefit I had not expected. I hope he can keep the show quality up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i've been out of town for a few days, but it seems to me that meatpants has tried to tone down the radio voice a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
As someone who watched a ton of old game shows on USA as a kid, I'm not hearing the "game show" voice from Matt. He just sounds like a guy. I don't know.

I rather like this show so far, which bothers me, because now I'm listening to too much sports talk radio during my day.