It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
interesting...still sounds wrong.

It is tedious.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
This thread is tedious.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

It certainly are.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:15 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
I just sit here and laugh at you guys and your thoughts about a guy most of you don't know.

It's radio--a means of mass communication--and he's an entertainer of a mass audience. Knowing him personally is not part of the equation for most of his or any other radio host's listeners. Playing the I-know-him-and-he's-not-like-that card is not appropriate. If he comes across a certain way to his audience, regardless of what he's "really like," THAT'S relevant and that's what was being talked about here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm 

I think we are all missing the real point here...STU said Darkside has been to the Mc Neil estate.

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside said he's never been there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I was invited, but only if I wore a red sport coat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
STU-GOTZ wrote:
Using the pulpit of your show and telling people who you are to get free shit is douchebaggery in my book.

That describes Steve Dahl's radio career. Hell, the guy got a vascectomy on the air to save money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Pappy's Crappy wrote:
STU-GOTZ wrote:
I just sit here and laugh at you guys and your thoughts about a guy most of you don't know.

Playing the I-know-him-and-he's-not-like-that card is not appropriate. If he comes across a certain way to his audience, regardless of what he's "really like," THAT'S relevant and that's what was being talked about here.

So explain to me how it's inappropriate for me to have an opinion about something you know nothing about? Because I gave an opinion and it's not what you agree with than Im wrong?? Blow me !! I think you're a douchebag for what you post here but if I met you outside of the board I bet your a good guy right?

That way of thinking is closed minded Pappy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I wanna make a rule...Drink every time Midget types conspicious consumption. He is right about the is/are. Replace his conspicuous consumption with it and are would be the right word. The ubiquity and intensity of it are tedious.

Gloop you made a point with out sounding like a broken record or an asshole! It didn't hurt my eyes to read one of your posts. See you can bust on Mac and be somewhat interesting. Way to go!

I learn more about the people who do the talking about Mac than I do about Mac in these threads.

Congrats on your driveways/pools!I hope you enjoy them.

Lots of good things in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
So explain to me how it's inappropriate for me to have an opinion about something you know nothing about? Because I gave an opinion and it's not what you agree with than Im wrong?? Blow me !! I think you're a douchebag for what you post here but if I met you outside of the board I bet your a good guy right?

That way of thinking is closed minded Pappy.

What I'm saying is the way he treats you or comes across to you, a friend, in your personal encounters with him has no bearing on a discussion of how a certain aspect of his radio show (in this case, namely, his discussion of his material wealth) comes across to his listeners. It's broadcasting, not narrowcasting to his buddies who know him, and yes, we listeners ARE entitled to express opinions on his on-air persona even if we don't know him personally off-air.

All I know is this topic has come up so often, it sure seems like he really touches a nerve whenever he talks about his TVs or his boat or whatever, notwithstanding his enviable personal qualities that you're apparently familiar with. And let the record show I'm not even one of the hardliners saying he has to stop this. I'm saying he's done it long enough that you have to know it's what you're going to get if you sign up for the Mac package, so deal with it if you want to enjoy his show--which I am trying to do again, by the way, after drifting away from MJH years ago.

And, no, you don't know me personally, and although most people people actually do consider me a pretty good guy (even though I'm involved with FAR FEWER than 200 charities), you're fully entitled to rip my posts for their douchbaggedness (nice word, huh?) based on their content and how they come across to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
I wouldn't use the word "inappropriate", but I don't believe Mac's off-the-radio meetings with posters fits in a conversation about his on-air personality.
Bernstein battles and belittles callers on his show, and many posters call him a jerk for those actions. Is he actually one in real life? It doesn't seem to matter, because that's not part of the discussion. This thread is about Mac's perceived on-air personality -- that's it. Nothing else.

Last edited by Brian's Mojito on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's in Chicago
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
is tedious....

Best post in the thread. Tallest Midet is ignoring it.

You are both wrong. The subject of the sentence is plural (ubiquity and intensity), not the singular object of the preposition (conspicuous consumption).

For example, it is proper to say "the bag of apples is on the table" because "bag" is the subject of that clause.

If the subject were changed to "bag and box" or "bags," then the verb would also become plural: The bags of apples are on the table.

I teach middle school LA/Reading for a living, and TM is correct.

Last edited by WittyMoniker2 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I've heard from several people that B & B are a lot different than their radio personas....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 pm 

spmack wrote:
I've heard from several people that B & B are a lot different than their radio personas....

And that doesn't stop posters from assuming that both are complete asses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:21 pm 

Look, maybe Mac is the greatest guy in the history of earth, but if certain things he says on the air aren't coming across well and alienating a significant portion of his listenership, then it's an issue.

And I'm NOT saying he IS alienating a significant portion of his listenership, I'm saying IF. For all I know at this point, it's about 6 pantsless people here that don't like his talking about his multiple TVs, etc. It's a point for discussion, which is what we do here--supposedly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

YOU JAMOKES ARE MISSING MY POINT !!! I don't find Mac to be a tool on the air or off. Some of you misfits get that FEELING HE'S A POMPUS ASS on the air but I don't !! I've listened to the guy for almost 20 years and I've gotten the same thing from him year in and year out. He might of talked about his new 8 -track in his 1992 Vega or that his wife cut his hair with a Flowbee back in his younger days but he's always talked about off topic things ..OK WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE but reading is a skill many of you lack here. SO WE ALL UNDERSTAND , I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH WHAT dAN SAYS AND DOES ON HIS SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great 4th of July and try not to blow off any limbs over the weekend ....... :drunken:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:

SO 3 PEOPLE actually listen to their show and Im Happy for them . Terry plays the old crusty bunker guy good and unless you have a pair of tits he wants nothing to do with you. Bernstein is stand-offish and unless you have a degree from Duke he could give a flying fuck your at a remote to see him and I Summed them up in 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 pm 

STU-GOTZ wrote:
YOU JAMOKES ARE MISSING MY POINT !!! I don't find Mac to be a tool on the air or off. Some of you misfits get that FEELING HE'S A POMPUS ASS on the air but I don't !! I've listened to the guy for almost 20 years and I've gotten the same thing from him year in and year out. He might of talked about his new 8 -track in his 1992 Vega or that his wife cut his hair with a Flowbee back in his younger days but he's always talked about off topic things ..OK WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE but reading is a skill many of you lack here. SO WE ALL UNDERSTAND , I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH WHAT dAN SAYS AND DOES ON HIS SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great 4th of July and try not to blow off any limbs over the weekend ....... :drunken:

I know you have no problem with what he says on his show; the point is, apparently SOME PEOPLE DO!!!!! And I doubt that those who do are saying he shouldn't have as many cars, boats, TVs, and pools as he wants and can afford. They just seem to not want to hear about it so much on the air.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
STU-GOTZ wrote:

Hey Stu, reading IS a skill. We're talking about his show here. We're not talking about Dan's personal life. 99.999% will never meet him in personal life, so we're not talking about this. We're talking about the 4-5 hours a day where we sit in the tavern with the guy. And... generally speaking I love the guy. I reiterate that he is the best sports talker in town IMHO, and the guy who got me on sports talk radio in the first place.
And no one is calling the guy a tool. I'm sure not. I just agree with the first poster's opinion. And in spite of that it is still a very enjoyable product.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
STU-GOTZ wrote:

Hey Stu, reading IS a skill. We're talking about his show here. We're not talking about Dan's personal life. 99.999% will never meet him in personal life, so we're not talking about this. We're talking about the 4-5 hours a day where we sit in the tavern with the guy. And... generally speaking I love the guy. I reiterate that he is the best sports talker in town IMHO, and the guy who got me on sports talk radio in the first place.
And no one is calling the guy a tool. I'm sure not. I just agree with the first poster's opinion. And in spite of that it is still a very enjoyable product.

I understand that.Again, some think he does and some think he does not.Some call him a tool for it and those seem to be the guys who still live with his or her's parents
It 's a debate Im down with that but I just don't understand why people get a bug up their ass about it. Let's have Dan discuss and someone get an ask Mac segment and let him address it . I would bet he says it's all tonge and cheek and if it's not , I still find it funny. He's also playing on the fact Spiegs is a young guy with no money and it sets up great ball busting for the guy with nothing to bust the balls of a guy that has a lot.

I love the fact on the Saloon that Harry got his balls busted because he came from money and it made for great fodder. I was laughing today as Spiegs stated his Mackeyland consisted of a walkman and a 12 inch TV. to follow games. Funny stuff and it's all about ball busting . I hang with a dude who makes good coin and says nothing about it but we use it to bust his balls on a daily basis and it's funny to watch people get uncomfortable about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:51 pm 

...and now I get reports that a neighbor dog ran across the wet pavement followed by a kid chasing him.

...and the next door neighbor is complaining about something

...and the contractor is complaining that I did not give him full payment, even though he has a little clean up work to finish and the concrete has to cure.

Expect to see my name in the paper some time this weekend. If the temperature was higher I might go full out Summer of Sam on the whole block.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
you really are the everyman today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

STU-GOTZ wrote:
that his wife cut his hair with a Flowbee back in his younger days

Stu, you got to admit that looking at Mac's picture in the Suntimes, it looks like she's still using the old Flowbee! :lol: :lol:

Hope you aren't the one with the 5000 lbs of fireworks taken from DuPage County. Be safe and have a great holiday!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
It would be funnier if Mac now pays $100 for haircuts that are marginally better than Flowbee quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:17 pm 

Just because you don't have a problem with it Stu doesn't mean others should share the same opinion. Call us Jamokes, state that we live our parents. Whatever. It doesn't cover that fact that you believe you're right and you don't want to hear anything to the contrary.
BTW, judging by the CAPTIAL LETTERS and name-calling, it appears that you seem to have the insect up your rectum on this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 pm 

Even though I have mixed feelings about Danny Mac, I still tune in every day. I really like this show. I find it to be very entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I'll try to be objective as I can here. I've known Mac for awhile and have hung with him occasionally. He's quite generous most of the time and he's a guy that likes to go have fun and do stuff that guys do. He brings alot of himself to the show and therefore he's bound to talk about things that he is doing and stuff that he may have purchased. He's a "tell it like it is" guy and he doesn't back off or apologize for being himself.

That being said, I do think that it might be a good idea for him to ease off on the braggart stuff and stick to sports and entertainment. I like small doses of what is happening in his personal life on the air, but it seems like it's been too much on the new show. I think that Spiegal is being a good sport about Danny razzing him about his current financial situation, but I'd think after awhile that he might get a little sick of it. One thing that Mac likes to do is test people and push their buttons, sometimes just to see how far he can take it. That's just what he does and I think that's what keeps people listening...to see what next controversial thing is that he's going to say or do.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
I don't think I learned about Fritzy, Knuckles, Johnny "Quarters" Boyle, Steve Lombardo from Gibson's, Tino Antonacci from Basta Pasta, David Hernandez, the latest comped Vegas hotel, Tom Dreesen, Pete Rose, George Randazzo, Ronny from Roma's, Tommy Lasorda, Richie Daley, Ed Kelly and a host of others from any name dropping Danny Mac did.
I heard those names somewhere on the airwaves.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:10 pm 

i agree with DS on this one; it's one thing to mention how you're living, it's another thing to boast about it. boasting is not a good thing. it shows insecurity. you don't have to prove anything because of the expensive material things you own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next