It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I think there are a few people here that are or know people with insurance knowledge. I have a question about my now ex-wife.

We were divorced recently and she is on my health insurance at work. I talked to the insurance company and asked if there was a grace period, they said no. As soon as I apprise my employer about the divorce (I haven't yet and this is a very small company) she's off of it.

I thought either through COBRA or some other means, if you are divorced you have a some grace period. Not sure if there is a cost associated with it or not. Her insurance at her current job is pretty bad (hence being on my coverage) so I'd like to try and help her out if she can stay on mine for awhile it'd be optimal (no we're not trying to kill each other it's a peaceful split so trying to be nice)

If anyone would have any insight, let me know I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 am 

Can I get her number?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 am 

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
If by "grace period" you are referring to the allotted time to place other non-COBRA insurance and still not be considered to have a break in coverage, then there of course is such time - but I'm stupid and am not sure exactly how long it is. Gun to my head, my guess would be 63 days.

If I'm completely not understanding, my apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Don Tiny wrote:
If by "grace period" you are referring to the allotted time to place other non-COBRA insurance and still not be considered to have a break in coverage, then there of course is such time - but I'm stupid and am not sure exactly how long it is. Gun to my head, my guess would be 63 days.

If I'm completely not understanding, my apologies.

I was recently told by a friend it was 61 days for COBRA. I have no idea if this applies to divorces.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Insurance is paid at the beginning of the month, so you're employer already paid for her.
However, it seems that they legally should not have done so. You need to tell them today...
I am pretty certain you can only have someone on your insurance policy if they are your spouse or kids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:52 pm 

Thanks for the info, all. Yes i'm trying to tell my boss and of course he's out today. I haven't been purposefully not telling him, just slipped under the radar at first- neither of us were really thinking about it, and my ex has been reminding me about asking the past few days but I just remembered today and of course boss isn't in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:05 pm 

Taken from a government site....it appears in the case of divorce, COBRA is available. But be warned, the costs are normally astronomical and may be taken from your check.

Qualifying Events - Qualifying events are certain events that would cause an individual to lose health coverage. The type of qualifying event will determine who the qualified beneficiaries are and the amount of time that a plan must offer the health coverage to them under COBRA. A plan, at its discretion, may provide longer periods of continuation coverage.

Qualifying Events for Spouses:
Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct
Divorce or legal separation of the covered employee
Death of the covered employee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Bagels,with all due respect,did you have a divorce lawyer?
I would think this subject should have been brought up then,maybe I'm wrong.
Despite our disagreements (can't remember for what),I am sorry about your break-up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Bagels,with all due respect,did you have a divorce lawyer?
I would think this subject should have been brought up then,maybe I'm wrong.
Despite our disagreements (can't remember for what),I am sorry about your break-up.

It's all good jimmypasta

No, we didn't use lawyers as this was a rather amicable split and we agreed on how things would be split so we felt no need. of course this was one major item that was missed....not a big deal for me of course but for her, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I have been married for eons,but I think every married man (and woman) thinks what it would be like to live their own lifes without having to run things by your partner. If I want a stuffed pizza 2 nights in a row,I could order it. If I want to trade my car in just for the heck of it,I could do it. I'm sure both sides have their advantages....grass is always greener,I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Can I get her number?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
First, notify your employer as soon as you can (you should provide them her contact info). How long has it been since the divorce was finalized? A month shouldn't be a huge deal as there are time frames for the steps in the process.

She is eligible for your insurance under COBRA. Usually it would be available for 18 months, but for a divorce, she'd be able to have it for three years, from the date of the divorce. Also, as mentioned, she will be paying the full premium for it monthly (your cost plus your employer's cost). You may want to check the price as it may be too expensive. It might be more cost-effective for her to get an individual plan, depending on her health situation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
jimmypasta wrote:
....grass is always greener,I guess.

wrong. it's the same color.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Killer V wrote:
She is eligible for your insurance under COBRA. Usually it would be available for 18 months, but for a divorce, she'd be able to have it for three years, from the date of the divorce. Also, as mentioned, she will be paying the full premium for it monthly (your cost plus your employer's cost). You may want to check the price as it may be too expensive. It might be more cost-effective for her to get an individual plan, depending on her health situation.

I used to work in medical benefits administration.

You ex would be given 60 days to elect to take the coverage from the date of notification. The cost is 102% of the premium (100% is your + your employers cost and a 2% administration fee)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Didn't the Hope & Change machine just make COBRA insurance a fistload cheaper to the consumer than it used to be?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Don Tiny wrote:
Didn't the Hope & Change machine just make COBRA insurance a fistload cheaper to the consumer than it used to be?

There is a 9 month discount for laid off workers.