It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking Calls
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
shirtless driver wrote:
Mac wrote:
i think the time of the day is a part, too. most are workin' 9-1. and even if you're a slacker... so much easier and time efficient to snap off an e-mail or a text (or a wrister).

This statement is completely disingenuous.
Seems as though the fanboys (and girls) that hang on your every word
and post are perfectly willing & capable of calling in whether they are working or not.
Both the Hampton/Holmes Show and the Murph show took PLENTY of calls. 9-1, 10-2. What's the difference?
I think that the real reason you don't take as many calls is that you're too busy
enjoying the sound of your own voice to come up for air and let someone else talk about how awesome you are.

Oh, that's right, that's what your parrot "Spiegs" is for.

I realize my opinion won't be popular with some of the posters I respect
on this board, but I can't continue to abide what I feel is a grab-assy,
self-congratulating shtick disguising itself as a 4 hour radio talk show.
While I was never a MJH fan, the few times over the years that I listened, I thought
the reasons why I wasn't a fan had mostly to do with your former co-hosts. Now while I can't stand your current co-host either,
I think YOU are the problem I have with your show. You don't always have to be ON. The CONSTANT back-slapping
nicknamey, or even worse, LASTNAMEY routine, i.e. SPIEGS, SCOTTY PODS, TINY ONE, GOOD KID shit just irritates the shit out of me.
Do you even realize how many times you utter the word "SPIEGEL" just between 11-1 which is when I've listened?
Have "The Unaffordable One" count tomorrow. It's insane. And very annoying. You know who constantly refers to
people by their last name or nick name? FRAT BRAH DOUCHEBAGS, that's who. Grown men don't talk like this.
But I understand it's all part of the Mackey package. I'm not sold. I gave it a shot, but I'm done.
Your show is the sound of all the air being sucked out of the room and listening is not a constructive use of my time.
I'll take FM until 1:30 from here on out.

I nominate this post as post of the year.
Shirtless driver...well done.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:14 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Hello Mac,
I'm coming from the otherside. Very seldom listened while you were on 'MVP,I do try to listen now,though. I do not like constant sports chatter. Too much of anything is not good. That is why I enjoy your show. Talking movies,TV & Pop culture is a good mix.

In regards to attacks on you & Mat,You know what Ricky Nelson said:

"Oh My GOD the fucking plane is going down!"

(NOTE to the younger crowd: If the above joke makes no sense,then you are not familiar with Rick's song Garden Party & the very famous line from that song.)

Yes...the fucking plane is going down allright.
Push Meatpants out of the plane & pull out of the tailspin!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 pm 

Hey Shirtless, are you going to Macs tailgate party Friday???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Coztansa wrote:
Be that as true as it may be IB, B&B still sucks.

Thus, the Score in no way, shape, or form gets better at 1:30 every day. It may not get worse, but certainly no better

What does this have to do with anything? Why drag B&B into this? :?:

I don't think this show is horrible but it's not as great as I think it could or should be either. IB and Shirtless aren't completely wrong. I'm hearing smarm and I can't figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Give me a freakin' break!!! How is anybody celebrating a "Stop Listening" post? :scratch:

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=34952

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Spaulding wrote:
Coztansa wrote:
Be that as true as it may be IB, B&B still sucks.

Thus, the Score in no way, shape, or form gets better at 1:30 every day. It may not get worse, but certainly no better

What does this have to do with anything? Why drag B&B into this? :?:

I don't think this show is horrible but it's not as great as I think it could or should be either. IB and Shirtless aren't completely wrong. I'm hearing smarm and I can't figure it out.

@ Frank -sigh. :(
@ Spaulding, if I'm not "completely" wrong, how wrong am I? :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Are you kidding? This section is the biggest congregation of ass-lickers ever assembled in one place, real or virtual. Even the fearless leader, who used to be receptive to honest criticism, has become thin-skinned as people point out the countless flaws with his current product. And every time he posts one of his "stop listening" posts, the groupies celebrate like clapping seals. Like the product itself, it's become unconsumable.

Yes but I think the number of "groupies" is shrinking, as many of the ALS'rs cant stand Spiegel either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Give me a freakin' break!!! How is anybody celebrating a "Stop Listening" post? :scratch:

:salut:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't think they are grab-assy or self-congratulating. I don't care if they use nicknames for people. I've liked what I have heard of Matt on other shows or the week Mac was on vacation. I loved MJH but didn't enjoy the last few years. I think Mac realizes what makes a good show and is capable of putting one on. He has a good sense of humor and the work and effort are there. It's not the people I'm not loving right now it's the pairing.

Maybe the people who have said it's too much of an employer/employee relationship or their styles are too different are right. Maybe it needs more time or maybe you hit on the You don't always have to be ON thing.

I think you are right in there is something amiss here but I don't think the reasons you listed are it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 am 

Well, I know I asked for your response, but I am way too sleepy now for a debate.
I disagree with almost everything you posted, but I respect your right to do so.
Good night everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
While I agree with the vast majority of Shirtless Driver's post, I find it a particularly ironic one coming from someone who is a charter member of the B&B ALS. Almost everything he said about Mac's show could be applied to B&B, especially its worn out self-congratulatory tone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Has Spiegel been asserting himself and challenging Mac much more over the course of the last two weeks? After the first week or so I didn't listen too much but I recently tuned back in and that's the impression I've gotten.

I like it *more than I did a few weeks ago.

*edit

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Irish Boy wrote:
Are you kidding? This section is the biggest congregation of ass-lickers ever assembled in one place, real or virtual. Even the fearless leader, who used to be receptive to honest criticism, has become thin-skinned as people point out the countless flaws with his current product. And every time he posts one of his "stop listening" posts, the groupies celebrate like clapping seals. Like the product itself, it's become unconsumable.

I love you man.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Tall Midget wrote:
While I agree with the vast majority of Shirtless Driver's post, I find it a particularly ironic one coming from someone who is a charter member of the B&B ALS. Almost everything he said about Mac's show could be applied to B&B, especially its worn out self-congratulatory tone.

That's because it's fun to be a hypocrite when noone is calling people out for it. Nice catch TM.

Listen, I know that Mac and Spiegs is not a listen for everyone - granted. As a charter member of the Mac ALS squad, I fully admit that I enjoyed the MJH show, minus the last year or so, more than I have enjoyed the pairing of Mac and Meatpants - but I also have an open mind to saying that it is still in it's infancy. I am withholding judgment until more than a couple of months have passed. I have compared the listening of Waddle and Silvy at the beginning to Waddle and Silvy now and as I have stated numerous times, it's definitively better and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

What we have here is a group of people that watch as someone is standing on the top of a tall building and instead of being horrified are yelling "Jump". The Gloopans, Shirtless Driver, SID, IB, John Kirk/Scorehead's of the board couldn't really care less who Mac was paired with. If Jesus himself came down to co-host the show with Mac, these guys would say that it's too high and mighty, Jesus sounds condescending like he died for all of us or something and that they really don't care what his background was his voice sounds too gameshowish.

It is what it is. I probably shouldn't even post to this thread because no amount of arguing or debating is going to get this group of people to change their minds (or the station for that matter) so every second of attention-whoreness that they receive is counterproductive.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Irish Boy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Guilty, I suppose.

What exactly makes somebody part of an ALS? Those parameters haven't been clearly established IMO.

I personally tune in to just about any of the sports radio shows (maybe my bar is too low), no matter what show it may be. I like some shows more than others and maybe I'm guilty of being part of Mac's ALS, but I don't really hate on other shows that much. The only show I can't stand is The Dan Patrick Show replay (thank God Grobber is back), or any replay show for that matter. If I want to hear a replay of a show, I'll go check out a podcast.

So as far as being part of Mac's ALS, whatever...sure. I've liked his shows since he started with Boers back in '92. I had the pleasure of interning for the HFC back in '96 and I easily devolped a friendship with Mr. McNeil :eye:, since we both like some of the same music and we lived fairly close in NWI. We've kept in touch over the years and hang out once in awhile, so naturally I'm going to be very interested in his show and probably have somewhat of a bias towards his shows. SO BE IT, JEDI.

I think that it's easy for people to naturally gravitate towards Mac because he is a fun guy and let's face it, we all need a little fun in our lives away from the daily grind of our ho-hum regular lives. Mac & Spiegs provide that for us...and most of the other shows do as well.

I personally don't understand the mis-guided hatred that spews out of some people's brains here on the board. I think constructive criticism is great and all, but some of it borders on psychopathic jealousy. Hide your bunny rabbits everybody. :wink:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 am 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Guilty, I suppose.

What exactly makes somebody part of an ALS? Those parameters haven't been clearly established IMO.

I personally tune in to just about any of the sports radio shows (maybe my bar is too low), no matter what show it may be. I like some shows more than others and maybe I'm guilty of being part of Mac's ALS, but I don't really hate on other shows that much. The only show I can't stand is The Dan Patrick Show replay (thank God Grobber is back), or any replay show for that matter. If I want to hear a replay of a show, I'll go check out a podcast.

So as far as being part of Mac's ALS, whatever...sure. I've liked his shows since he started with Boers back in '92. I had the pleasure of interning for the HFC back in '96 and I easily devolped a friendship with Mr. McNeil :eye:, since we both like some of the same music and we lived fairly close in NWI. We've kept in touch over the years and hang out once in awhile, so naturally I'm going to be very interested in his show and probably have somewhat of a bias towards his shows. SO BE IT, JEDI.

I think that it's easy for people to naturally gravitate towards Mac because he is a fun guy and let's face it, we all need a little fun in our lives away from the daily grind of our ho-hum regular lives. Mac & Spiegs provide that for us...and most of the other shows do as well.

I personally don't understand the mis-guided hatred that spews out of some people's brains here on the board. I think constructive criticism is great and all, but some of it borders on psychopathic jealousy. Hide your bunny rabbits everybody. :wink:

Excellent post Eaglo Jeff - spot on.

I can't stand Mully and Hanley - I would rather listen to crickets mating. But if you counted the over 1400 posts I have made, I bet you can't find more than one where I talk about my dislike of their show because you know why? I DON'T LISTEN! If I don't like something, why would I torture myself by listening to it? That is the thing I don't understand with these guys.

Ok, you don't like the show - trust me we ALL GET IT. But why do you have to start thread after thread after thread of telling us exactly why you don't like it when you are continuing to listen to it?

Which leads to my conclusion - it's all just to fuck with Dan or B & B or whatever show it is that they don't like - instead of just walking away they stay more updated than the hard core fans ever do on the show.

I just have to scratch my head...

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:23 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

Shirtless Driver Wrote In A Different Thread 10 Hours Ago:
When I think "Dan McNeil", I think "real, unrehearsed, ball-busting hilarity". :roll: :oops: :roll:
When I think "Dan Bernstein", I can at least expect real, whether he's being a douche or not, he's still real.
WSCR has one Dan too many.
WSCR also has one Matt too many.
Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
This statement is completely disingenuous.
Seems as though the fanboys (and girls) that hang on your every word
and post are perfectly willing & capable of calling in whether they are working or not.
Both the Hampton/Holmes Show and the Murph show took PLENTY of calls. 9-1, 10-2. What's the difference?
I think that the real reason you don't take as many calls is that you're too busy
enjoying the sound of your own voice to come up for air and let someone else talk about how awesome you are.

Oh, that's right, that's what your parrot "Spiegs" is for.

I realize my opinion won't be popular with some of the posters I respect
on this board, but I can't continue to abide what I feel is a grab-assy,
self-congratulating shtick disguising itself as a 4 hour radio talk show.
While I was never a MJH fan, the few times over the years that I listened, I thought
the reasons why I wasn't a fan had mostly to do with your former co-hosts. Now while I can't stand your current co-host either,
I think YOU are the problem I have with your show. You don't always have to be ON. The CONSTANT back-slapping
nicknamey, or even worse, LASTNAMEY routine, i.e. SPIEGS, SCOTTY PODS, TINY ONE, GOOD KID shit just irritates the shit out of me.
Do you even realize how many times you utter the word "SPIEGEL" just between 11-1 which is when I've listened?
Have "The Unaffordable One" count tomorrow. It's insane. And very annoying. You know who constantly refers to
people by their last name or nick name? FRAT BRAH DOUCHEBAGS, that's who. Grown men don't talk like this.
But I understand it's all part of the Mackey package. I'm not sold. I gave it a shot, but I'm done.
Your show is the sound of all the air being sucked out of the room and listening is not a constructive use of my time.

:salut: :salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 am 

shirtless driver wrote:

So Shirtless - are you going to be a man of your word? Does that mean that starting today we can expect no more threads or comments about how you dislike this show?

If so, you will be the first one of the haters ever to live up to your word.

I'm counting on you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

So Shirtless - are you going to be a man of your word? Does that mean that starting today we can expect no more threads or comments about how you dislike this show?

If so, you will be the first one of the haters ever to live up to your word.

I'm counting on you...

Dave if Shirtless decides to listen for a few minutes here and there and wants to comment I think thats fine.

You take Mac criticism worse than MAC does. Who cares?
Not everyone is gonna like MAC...some are gonna hate him.

It puzzles me why you care or think you can change this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Dave if Shirtless decides to listen for a few minutes here and there and wants to comment I think thats fine.

+1

There are bound to be posts/comments that everyone gets tired of reading, but it's a freakin' discussion board. Just like nobody is making people listen to a particular show nobody is making you read a particular post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:59 am 

You are missing the point RPB.

The point is that all the haters say, "I'm done with this show", whichever show it may be - but have a much greater knowledge of the day to day show highlights than the ALS'rs of ANY show - not just Macs.

I was just wondering if Shirtless was going to truly not listen and not comment - I am betting against it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06 am 

As for defending Mac or being more upset about it than Mac, I disagree.

I think that over the past couple of months I have greatly toned down my defense of all things Mac and have even been close to critical about his article style writing in a post or two. The whole thing with Shakes actually had very little to do with his like or dislike of the show; it was the personal nature to which he took to respond that set me off.

Just a few posts ago I said that I do not enjoy Mac/Meat as much as I did the first few years of MJH - at least, not yet - but I am willing to give it a shot.

My comment to shirtless was more of a generic comment to his "I don't listen" comment - I have heard and seen this many many times about whatever show - Mac, B&B, Mully Hanley, afternoon saloon, etc. - but then find a score more comments from said person after he/she said that they no longer listen.

I was just wondering if shirtless was going to truly not listen.

No vitriole, no anger - just a question.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: ***
DegenerateDave wrote:
That's because it's fun to be a hypocrite when noone is calling people out for it. Nice catch TM.

Listen, I know that Mac and Spiegs is not a listen for everyone - granted. As a charter member of the Mac ALS squad, I fully admit that I enjoyed the MJH show, minus the last year or so, more than I have enjoyed the pairing of Mac and Meatpants - but I also have an open mind to saying that it is still in it's infancy. I am withholding judgment until more than a couple of months have passed. I have compared the listening of Waddle and Silvy at the beginning to Waddle and Silvy now and as I have stated numerous times, it's definitively better and I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

What we have here is a group of people that watch as someone is standing on the top of a tall building and instead of being horrified are yelling "Jump". The Gloopans, Shirtless Driver, SID, IB, John Kirk/Scorehead's of the board couldn't really care less who Mac was paired with. If Jesus himself came down to co-host the show with Mac, these guys would say that it's too high and mighty, Jesus sounds condescending like he died for all of us or something and that they really don't care what his background was his voice sounds too gameshowish.

It is what it is. I probably shouldn't even post to this thread because no amount of arguing or debating is going to get this group of people to change their minds (or the station for that matter) so every second of attention-whoreness that they receive is counterproductive.

This is a board that, at least nominally, is for talking about sports radio. Why does every post have to be "go team win go!" for you to approve? Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate Mac. But I do think his brand has grown lazy and stale, and I also think that the comparisons that TM and others have made to Mike North are more accurate than a lot of you care to admit.

But since you're accusing me of disingenuity, allow me to retort:

Quote:
I am withholding judgment until more than a couple of months have passed.

First off, no you're not. You're among the first to jump down people's throats when someone suggests that The Danny Mac Show (Featuring Danny Mac with Matt Spiegel and Danny Mac) isn't the crown pinnacle of human achievement. You're not withholding judgment at all. You're just the anti-Gloopan.

Second... a couple of months? Jeez, how long does it take for two guys talking about sports to "gel"? We get frustrated with rookies playing professional sports when it takes a few months to adjust. How long does it take for two guys pontificating about the state of Chicago sports to manage listenability? 6 months? A year? Funny, I don't remember anyone giving Holmes and Hampton the chance to "gel" for that long before (rightfully) ridiculing the show. And I don't remember your posts defending that show with suggestions that if we don't like it, we shouldn't listen.

I'll repeat again, just so the point isn't lost: I don't hate Mac. I don't even dislike him. I don't troll on this board, waiting for my chance to jump in and take potshots at him. But frankly, the knee-jerk defenders make me more likely, not less, to make negative comments. And I'll continue to do so- just like for any other show- when it is warranted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 am 

IB - We will agree to disagree with your comments as to my staunch defending of the Mac and Meat show - I think I have been pretty clear that I do not like it, as of yet, as much as I did MJH.

Secondly, I probably should not have lumped you into the group of Gloopan like commenters - that was an oversight on my part.

Thirdly - yes I think it takes more than a couple of months for a show to hit their stride. If management of radio stations didn't feel the same way, Waddle and Silvy wouldn't even have a show right now.

Lastly - as I have stated a couple of times in this thread, my comments were more about the windsock like behaviors of people that say that they aren't going to listen or won't anymore, but stay more informed than the fans of the show. This wasn't a staunch defense of Mac solely; I find this same line of commentating with other shows as well.

Additionally - Tad made a point about people commenting about shows having the right to do so because it's a message board - if that is the case, then why am I the one that is always being singled out or attacked (verbally) for defending the fans of the show?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am 

Im done discussing whether shows are good or bad. From now on Im just going to challenge people I disagree with to a fight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I got flamed for switching to S&W when Mac was on vacation, partly because I said it was too soon to leave the show for a week.
After the Cutler appearance on S&W yesterday, I switched over to TDMS. Speigs was "hoping" to talk to "One of cutler's People" about getting him on the show to take a Cuter Maturity Test. Danny then referred to it as garbage hour. I switched back to 1k and awaited the switch to B&B later.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Im done discussing whether shows are good or bad. From now on Im just going to challenge people I disagree with to a fight.

Let me know how that works out for you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 am 

Darkside wrote:
I got flamed for switching to S&W when Mac was on vacation, partly because I said it was too soon to leave the show for a week.
After the Cutler appearance on S&W yesterday, I switched over to TDMS. Speigs was "hoping" to talk to "One of cutler's People" about getting him on the show to take a Cuter Maturity Test. Danny then referred to it as garbage hour. I switched back to 1k and awaited the switch to B&B later.

I wasn't one of the ones that flamed you though, was I darkie? I don't think I did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
DegenerateDave wrote:
I wasn't one of the ones that flamed you though, was I darkie? I don't think I did.

No. Not at all.
I'm just taking a shot at the show for wanting to talk to Cutler's people at the same time that S&W were actually interviewing Cutler. Good Times!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next