It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Be Like Mike" Part 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:52 pm 

It's been suggested by a few that I'm sufferin' me a case of dreaded Mike North Disease. Let's dig into one of the reasons why a few have written or said that. I hope to get to more of 'em tomorrow morning, but it's a packed sked...especially grilling for 100 people right around the corner.

Qualifiers: For the record, I regard Mike as the single biggest factor in the Score's early success. Dig into previous sections and posts if you want more on that, but never let it be said I have not acknowledged Pappy's enormous influence on the Score and the way other stations programmed. I also believe Mike possesses many good qualities as a man, including being generous to those around him, being loyal to those who were willing to sweat for him (sometimes to a fault maybe), and how he is a "survivor" and made his own mark despite limited education, upbrining and experience. In short, I have been a Mike North fan in many ways....

...and there are things about Mike I dislike. They are professional criticisms of the man... and characteristics of what I believe to be the most bothersome "symptoms" of Mike North Disease. Here's one item on the list. I'll compare and contrast. Feel free to do that same because I will read them, digest them, and perhaps ACT on them. A perfect segue!

1) Taking criticism and making changes.

Some do and some don't. My presence here, and a littany of ideas suggested by CSFMBers that wound up actually being employed on the show, are reasons this conversation could be closed now. Northy was oblivious to suggestions and talked about what he wanted, interviewed who he wanted and listened to almost nobody who advised him with his best interests in mind.

Not only did Mike fail to embrace the technology that's available to connect with listeners in a forum like this, he didn't care about what you thought. The smartest ones... in any business... are the ones who don't have all the answers and try to keep growing. There is much to be said about being your own man... and standing up for himself was a big part of Mike's success story... but North became beyond reproach with his audience. In another thread, I just accepted an S.I.D. criticism of me as 100% valid (superfans nonsense) and that I would attempt to diminish that greatly when we're in Bears discussion. It is a crutch and it rarely adds anything.

You can assume much of what's been expressed for several years here about Mike was said to him by station management, colleagues, friends and sponsors. I don't mean small shit... I mean big picture problems like having the burning desire to talk about things about which he had no knowledge or credibility. Pappy on the Social Security Administration or Jesse Jackson? Please. In '99 when they split up the Monsters and the Heavy Fuel Crew, North was given the freedom to do what he wanted. That was a bad decision because we got a good dose of politics, dated entertainment stars and free pets.

Let's compare. While I don't act on every complaint, when I hear the same ones over and over, I think it would be really stupid to not consider that it has merit. I then have to decide whether it's better to keep doing it, modify it, or eliminate it completely. The audience has steered some of the programming I've done over the years. Co-hosts and producers have input. If I didn't at least consider commonly placed criticism, I'd be an idiot. I'm not. If I didn't listen to showmates, it would mean I'm a bigger idiot because those are the ones you SHOULD trust the most. Spiegel, Miska and Zawasky are free to slap me verbally more than you know. It also was true with Jurko, Terry, Adam Delevitt, Finji, Jeff Dickerson, Danny Zederman, Judd Sirott, Matt Fishman, Jonathon Hood, Lawrence Holmes, Mike Alzamora and almost EVERYONE who's produced my shows. You think I got overloaded by "take me with you" sentiments expressed this past January when I got fired because I told the producers they didn't have a thought worthy of my attention?

Producers and I didn't always agree and voices often were raised, but NOBODY I've worked with was made to feel like it was a dictatorship. North's crew was GIVEN its opinion more often than not. Jesus, when we were in Platteville one summer in the late '90s Jesse Rogers wouldn't burn one with me (after hours of course) because he didn't want Mike to find out. Mike's crew was Mike's crew because they were told they couldn't be or think anything else. If you were going to be on Mike's show, you were doing it his way or be shown the highway. I have veto power, but I rarely have exercized it. Finfer talked me out of firing Zederman last winter. In 2003, Finfer has given me as harsh an e-mail as I've ever received from a colleague. He earned my respect for doing so.

I'm a big believer in the "no asshole rule." We operate openly and without fear of repercussion. Told both Miska and Zawasky today that they should take me aside and slap me if I get sleepy late in the show as I did Tuesday. I meant literally, like Ed Farmer told the fleshy Herm Schneider to do when he felt he didn't have it warming up one night in the early '80s.

Your recent suggestions to back off the '70s pop culture has been noted. It is not totally absent... but I have tried to cut way back on it. Years back, I would have played Alice Cooper music all week because I'm going to see him Sunday night. Likely, I also would have asked for a Cooper interview. Stopped programming it for selfish reasons years ago. I quote old movies like Mike... but who in his late 40s speaks comedies of this decade (on the air) as deftly as I do? It has found a home for the younger audience in my audience. Won't play a million Slapshot or Cuckoo's Nest anymore. I get it. You've grown tired of it and I will try -- not always succeed -- to back off. I also am ready for a new opening song for the 9 and 11 opens. Not certain I'm gonna change it... and it's really almost not even worth discussing because the lyric is a whopping six seconds or so (2x a day)... but I am considering it and only because I've heard it more than a few times lately.

Here's another Northy nugget... When I quit the Score in Oct. of '00, he told Meatpants, who was his baseball expert, to discontinue being in a fantasy football league with me or discontinue appearing on the show. He told Shakey Siuntres to disassociate with me. What the fuck is that?

Next up.... "handpicking a staff".... is it a symptom of Mike North Disease from which I suffer? We'll compare the motivating factors on why our shows were/have been assembled. I'll do that as soon as I have completed the musical open ideas for my college roommate Frank Sartini's "Frankie's Night On The Town" segment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
This probably is a stupid question, but if you let your showmates "slap you verbally", what made harry different that you wouldn't let him do the same?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 pm 

Harry talked me into some programming and out of some programming. His opinion was heard and not "given" to him by the driver. Many Tiny ideas were dismissed, Often he kept hammering away at the same idea or a similar idea. Gotta hand it to him for being relentless. He'd wear on us... and if you remember the Michael Vick dogs "interview" in August of '07... as I predicted from Vermont reading about it here.... it was a result of him pressing all week. Jurk sometimes got to the point where he didn't feel like fighting it anymore and said "fuck it." Zederman and/or Finji admitted to me Tiny kind of guilted them into that because they'd employed few of his ideas earlier in the week. Harry is not a man who has heard "no" often in his life and, by default, I had to play the heavy more than anybody else. He often withdrew from meetings and was an incorrigible malcontent around the hallways. Ask the others and they'll tell you how cuddly Harry Teinowitz can be when he doesn't get his way. And by landslide "votes." I didn't ask for the role and I didn't get paid extra for doing it, but I often was last line of defense to preclude Tiny from putting "Harry And Spike Show" stench in the corner tavern. Moment of silence for what was a fun thing for four or five years.... thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Even though you and Mike have different approaches the end result is still the same...You do what you please even if it might not be in your best interests. Mike didn't listen to anybody, wouldn't even take the input. You seem to be taking some pretty valid criticisms and saying they are wrong and you know better. I think you have earned that right and good to do the things you want but don't be shocked when some people are turned off by it.

It really suprised me today when you could not differentiate "a guest" and Jay Cutler. He might say a thousand you knows in a minute but I think you could find questions to ask him. If he is terrible cut it short but it sounds more like you have no interest in it so you won't do it.

I think where most people are drawing a parallel for you and North is...you now have more control over your own show and the product is not as good as it should be and yet you keep on saying the we'll be fines, no it's good, or ptfb. Okay. As successful as North is/was look where he is now and look how he got that way.

Some people are saying you sound like you are "on" all the time, I'm calling it smarm but it's really the same thing. There is a sincerity, genuiness, or warmth that I feel is lacking. I hear a little of it on crosstalk but there is a little too much weirdness/odd group dynamic there for anything to be real on a consistent basis.

Even though there is no dictatorship or repercussions I think you underestimate how strong your personality is and how intimidating you can be. I wonder if Ben found it difficult to send that email to you. Whatever he said in that letter turned a light on for you, had that light not gone on how different would things have been?

I say all this hoping we are still operating under the no asshole rule. I have a ton of respect for you professionally and personally but don't always agree with you. I'm hoping this really is a matter of settling in and adjusting. These past 6 months have probably been stressful but you seem a little off-kilter. I'm really looking forward to hearing Friday's show and I shot my mouth off about so OPV better be really fucking good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Let it go Mac. Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hi Mac,
This is my 2001 post,so which one of us is HAL? Aww,shit,old reference, I won't do THAT in the future! I actually read your whole post,right now my son is explaining the big words to me. I really can't see how you make an attempt to edit your thought process. That can turn into a pretty big list. It is nice you take suggestions. Here is one,screw editing yourself! You make a living talking,so let it fly! If you want to quote an old movie,go ahead,your OLD! That's what old guys do! I enjoy your new show with Speigs. I might be the only one who thought this,but I never listened to your old show because I thought Harry & Jurko's voices sounded very similar. I never knew who said what. That's nice you take suggestions,but your not running a resturaunt and changing a menu! I can't see how you can remember NOT to mention a myriad of different things. I would think forcing yourself to do so will lead to a lesser show. Evenif it means talking about your purchase of a $13,000 boat in times like these! :wink:

Take Care,
JIM

Last edited by jimmypasta on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac

Quit worrying about what some idiots on a message board think. The show is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
312-332-6767 LIGHT EM UP! WHATS YOUR FAVORITE UTENSIL!!!!!!

While I agree Mike never took suggestions, when he did the Bookie Priest, people on the board, including me, liked it. Many people started posting "it's about time" or "1 in 500, not bad". Where else did Mike North get the immediate feedback then?

So much that within 1 day, he was recording commercials to run every 20 minutes on every other show and it became a joke in the first week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Caligula's Stuffed Sausage
one thing is for sure, it beats being the 2nd most popular sports figure in indiana right behind tommy williams.

justification, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Personally I would have liked an Alice Cooper interview.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:06 am 

Mac,
Good post...........I have always prefered you over all the other "talkers".The only reason i listened when you went down the dial was you not Jurko or Harry.It took a lot for me to listen to ass lick Harry for all those years.
I grew up on the East Side of Chicago not far from where you grew up and you know Im not blowing smoke here.
As far as North goes,I have NEVER been a fan of he's form day 1.I saw through his BS from the get go.I can honestly say i have listened to his show all toll for aabout an hour when you put the little snippets together.Always thought the man was full of shit and it was bad "shtick"..........Example .........if your "street tough" you dont keep talking about it you just "are", and North just couldnt stop talking about himself.
I like the new show Mac and i have no real issue with Matt.......My God people for all the differnt people that have been on the Score and the majority should not have been alowed near a microphone Matt will be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Wow. Great post Mac. I and many others appreciate the fact that you hang out here & post your thoughts.
Thanks.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mac wrote:
Harry is not a man who has heard "no" often in his life and, by default, I had to play the heavy more than anybody else. He often withdrew from meetings and was an incorrigible malcontent around the hallways. Ask the others and they'll tell you how cuddly Harry Teinowitz can be when he doesn't get his way.

Fatha!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pal Joeys in West Chicago
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I agree, as I will also be at the show Sunday night.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Anybody buy his last CD,Along Came a Spider? EXCELLENT,Classic Alice!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Drummin Don wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

I agree, as I will also be at the show Sunday night.

:D

Ha...yeah I was thinking the same thing. Alice Cooper is a pretty intersting and well spoken dude. Sometimes a celeb interview doesn't have to be radio death I remember an interesting interview that B&B did with Little Steven not too long ago.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pal Joeys in West Chicago
jimmypasta wrote:
Anybody buy his last CD,Along Came a Spider? EXCELLENT,Classic Alice!

bought it today to prepare for Sunday, as the new show "Theatre of Death" (debuted a week ago) is based on this album. Will listen tomorrow, and Sunday, on the way to SB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Mac wrote:
Here's another Northy nugget... When I quit the Score in Oct. of '00, he told Meatpants, who was his baseball expert, to discontinue being in a fantasy football league with me or discontinue appearing on the show.

Yes, I do remember that as we were in Computer boy Tom's league and I was still drinking back then as it took untill week 10 in the 2001 season until I realised Spieigs was not in our league any longer. :drunken:

I think we asked Fritzie and Knuckles to replace Spiegs that year but we never heard back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 am 

Mac wrote:
Here's another Northy nugget... When I quit the Score in Oct. of '00, he told Meatpants, who was his baseball expert, to discontinue being in a fantasy football league with me or discontinue appearing on the show. He told Shakey Siuntres to disassociate with me. What the fuck is that? .

I better never see you coming back here slinging the bullshit line that you and North are personal friends. I knew it was a lie when you wrote it. I wonder if you know it.

He is a professional asset to be used or discarded as needed. I understand keeping up appearances, but it would be better if you said nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 am 

romante5 wrote:
i still believe saying matt is a partner in the show doesn't seem like it when the show is "the mac show". to much like the mouse for me.

This is where I really agree. If he is a partner, then make him a partner with all of the benefits and detriments the position entails. Give him security and see where this thing goes.