It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "20-Year-Old" Kid
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Exclamation Moint wrote:
If this were a Red Wings player would you be so quick to reserve judgment? Be honest Blackhawks fans.

yes, but i'm an NHL fan, not just a blackhawk fan :twisted:

Edit: unless it's pronger... that piece of shit is always guilty...

Last edited by crosscheck on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:28 pm 
I'm in a 'rush' to defend Kane from emotional reactions without all the facts of the case being released. It seems every few hours we get a new bit of information that makes the situation murkier.

I don't understand why a lot of people are so quick to want Kane out of town or destroy this kid when the incident is far from resolved or clear

If it turns out the story is true and Kane is 100% culpable, then I can't imagine anyone could defend him outside of the everyone makes a mistake and deserves a 2nd chance angle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Excellent point, Exclamation Moint. Everyone gets into a couple dust-ups in their teenage years - beyond that, you need to man the fuck up and keep your fists down unless it's truly warranted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
suckers playground wrote:
Excellent point, Exclamation Moint. Everyone gets into a couple dust-ups in their teenage years - beyond that, you need to man the fuck up and keep your fists down unless it's truly warranted.

Have you ever been to a bar on a weekend? I would venture to say that we as the male species tend to mature much later than our female counterparts.

I'm not dismissing what Kane did or didn't do - until all the facts are out, I will withhold my opinion - but I will say this - I sure as hell would have hated to have all the stupid shit I did in my late teens and early twenties put in the paper.

I understand Moint's point (ha) but also have to ask - if this wasn't a famous hockey player, would it even be news worthy? Of course not. I am betting you could peruse the local police blotter and find this kind of behavior on a weekly basis by kids either younger or older than Kane - but since they aren't famous, they don't garner any attention.

I also disagree with Moint's assertion that Kane could have deeper issues or problems based on this behavior. I think it's far far too early to predict what Kane is going to be like in life. Hell, if I turned out half as douchey as I was when I was 18, 19 or 20 I would have never gotten married or had kids or find anyone that could remotely tolerate me. There is something to be said for life's experiences Moint and maybe this will be the point in Kane's life where he gains perspective and realizes that this type of behavior and attitude could in actuality permeate the rest of his life.

As I have told my 18 year old nephew too many times to count - he is at the crossroads now and he needs to decide what type of person he is going to be. I would say the same thing to Kane - if this story is true.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
I'm not dismissing what Kane did or didn't do.

Um... actually, you are.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

Um... actually, you are.

I think there's a difference between "dismissing" and "understanding the stupidness of youth" Mike.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:52 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

Um... actually, you are.

I think there's a difference between "dismissing" and "understanding the stupidness of youth" Mike.

Of course there's a difference, because they're completely separate...one has nothing to do with the other. You can dismiss one's actions while understanding their stupidity, you can NOT dismiss one's actions while still understanding their stupidity, you can dismiss one's actions while not understanding their stupidity, you can NOT dismiss one's actions while still not understanding their stupidity. You simply chose the first option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 pm 

Semantics be damned Mike - I'll clarify my position then.

If he is guilty of what he is said to be guilty of, I think he should pay the reasonable penalty for what someone similarly has for similar offenses. If that be jail time, probation, whatever the case is - he deserves it.

However, whatever penalty he pays, it will not shape my opinion of him as a whole because I will think to myself, "Yeah, that's what stupid kids do until they grow up". My point being was that the person we are at 20 isn't often the person that we turn out to be. Life's lessons have a way of shaping the adult we turn out to be - either good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:45 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:

If he is guilty of what he is said to be guilty of, I think he should pay the reasonable penalty for what someone similarly has for similar offenses. If that be jail time, probation, whatever the case is - he deserves it.

However, whatever penalty he pays, it will not shape my opinion of him as a whole because I will think to myself, "Yeah, that's what stupid kids do until they grow up". My point being was that the person we are at 20 isn't often the person that we turn out to be. Life's lessons have a way of shaping the adult we turn out to be - either good or bad.

It was clear the first time you said it Dave... you're dismissing Kane's actions as "boys will be boys". The problem with your logic is that it's so case specific that when you start applying it to other similar scenarios you end up be hypocritical.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Many former 20 year olds, myself included, were able to make it through those ages without beating on a cab driver (if that is indeed what happened). I don't get why so many people are quick to talk about how everyone was so damn stupid as a "kid". I'm not saying I wasn't stupid, but as someone said, attacking a cab driver (again, if that's truly what happened), isn't something you should just blow off as youthful indiscretion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:55 pm 

The funny thing about this whole situation is that Kane actually did the right thing by having someone else drive his drunk ass around. Most drunken athlete stories/crimes involve drunk driving. He chose to take a cab. Too bad someone decided to give the cabbie a beatdown.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
KDdidit wrote:
Many former 20 year olds, myself included, were able to make it through those ages without beating on a cab driver (if that is indeed what happened). I don't get why so many people are quick to talk about how everyone was so damn stupid as a "kid". I'm not saying I wasn't stupid, but as someone said, attacking a cab driver (again, if that's truly what happened), isn't something you should just blow off as youthful indiscretion.

I still punch my own cabby from time to time ... :(

Last edited by Don Tiny on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i don't think i've punched someone since I was in grade school.

Is "I made a mistake" the most overused phrase in sports?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Let's face it , Kane is not just a normal 20 year old kid .......He is the face of one of the hottest teams in Chicago and the NHL and has fame and fortune and women hounding him at the age of 20 and despite the cabbie being a tool and locking the kid in his cab and demanding money before he let's them out he had to know he's screwed for doing what he did. If he has another dust up of some sort then the Hawks will have to make a decsion to move him or let him sign with another team next year as he becomes a free agent.

Money makes all this go away and when they drop the puck in October it's all forgotten. I've had pissing matches with cabbies before as I pulled up with my luggage after a flight at O'hare and put my bags in the trunk of a cab and said drive me to Rosemont only to have the cabbie say "NO" , and made me take my bags out as he wanted a better fare to the city as he said 'i've sat here for 20 minutes and Im not going to make a $2 tip to drive you 5 miles . It took everything in me to not knock the fucking guy out. I've had buddies get into verbal fights with cabbies so I'll cut the kid some slack and call it his first mistake as I was not there to see what really went on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:06 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

It was clear the first time you said it Dave... you're dismissing Kane's actions as "boys will be boys". The problem with your logic is that it's so case specific that when you start applying it to other similar scenarios you end up be hypocritical.

I don't see how I am saying "Boys will be boys" when I agree that he should get whatever is coming to him if he is guilty of it. All I am saying is that this is not shocking behavior to me from a 20 year old kid - famous or not. If he was 35 or 40 and did this, well yes, I would be a bit more shocked. I don't really care what happens to him one way or the other as I don't have a horse in the race so to speak - I like the Hawks but am not a huge fan of Kane as of yet.

I think you can see similar behavior at your local watering hole around 2 AM - maybe not robbery but you can certainly catch any number of fights or assaults or what have you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

I knew that punching people in the head was wrong when I was 5 or 6 years old....
Being 20, 30, or 40 years old doesn't make it less idiotic or more shocking to punch an old man in the head when his back is turned..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:10 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

Kdidit - agreed. I have never punched a cabbie either. But I have been in a fight at a bar past the age of 20 - albeit, not much past the age of 20, but this is my point - not to say that specifically what he did wasn't wrong or easily excused or dismissed if he is guilty - he should have to pay whatever is necessary - but not all that shocking to me.

A 20 year old got drunk and got into a fight? The only shocking thing to me is it was with a cabbie over 1.20 or whatever it was.

I think he will be held to a higher standard because of who he is - and whether or not he is mature enough to handle that liability is a whole other question.

Last edited by DegenerateDave on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:12 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I knew that punching people in the head was wrong when I was 5 or 6 years old....
Being 20, 30, or 40 years old doesn't make it less idiotic or more shocking to punch an old man in the head when his back is turned..

I don't think anyone is arguing the age of culpability Doug - at least I'm not. I am not in the least saying that he isn't responsible for his actions or that his actions are excusable. Just not suprising.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

It is not surprising for you that a 20 year old punched a 60 year old over 20 cents?

o.k.
I learn something new everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:17 pm 

It is not surprising for you that a 20 year old punched a 60 year old over 20 cents?

o.k.
I learn something new everyday.

Read what I wrote again - I said it's not surprising that a 20 year old got drunk and got into a fight - what WAS surprising is that it was with a 60 year old cabbie over a 1.20.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

well, it is surprising to me that a 20 year old got drunk and got into a fight. but, that's just me...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:22 pm 

well, it is surprising to me that a 20 year old got drunk and got into a fight. but, that's just me...

Well I need to start going to the bars you go to on the weekends then because when my wife and I go to a bar out by us on the weekend, it seems every other night that two or three 21 or 22 year old alpha males are throwing down. lol.

But it could be just us crazy damn hoosiers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:33 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
I don't see how I am saying "Boys will be boys" when I agree that he should get whatever is coming to him if he is guilty of it. All I am saying is that this is not shocking behavior to me from a 20 year old kid - famous or not. If he was 35 or 40 and did this, well yes, I would be a bit more shocked. I don't really care what happens to him one way or the other as I don't have a horse in the race so to speak - I like the Hawks but am not a huge fan of Kane as of yet.

I think you can see similar behavior at your local watering hole around 2 AM - maybe not robbery but you can certainly catch any number of fights or assaults or what have you.

I can't help it that you don't see how "Yeah, that's what stupid kids do until they grow up" = "boys will be boys". Men are boys until they grow up, and you're saying that Kane hasn't grown up yet... do you see it now?
And yeah, I've seen plenty of fights at bars. However, while I'm watching them getting tossed out of the bar after smashing bottles over each others' heads I don't say to myself "those guys are gonna be fine people when they grow up some day, I hope society will look past this"...maybe sarcastically I do. But comparing a bar fight to assaulting a 62 year cab driver seems like a bit of a stretch...and by that I mean nothing at all alike.
But I don't want to talk in circle with you...I just logged in to tell you that I'm right and you're wrong. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:52 pm 

WestmontMike wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:

I can't help it that you don't see how "Yeah, that's what stupid kids do until they grow up" = "boys will be boys". Men are boys until they grow up, and you're saying that Kane hasn't grown up yet... do you see it now?
And yeah, I've seen plenty of fights at bars. However, while I'm watching them getting tossed out of the bar after smashing bottles over each others' heads I don't say to myself "those guys are gonna be fine people when they grow up some day, I hope society will look past this"...maybe sarcastically I do. But comparing a bar fight to assaulting a 62 year cab driver seems like a bit of a stretch...and by that I mean nothing at all alike.
But I don't want to talk in circle with you...I just logged in to tell you that I'm right and you're wrong. :wink:

Mike - it won't be the first time I'm wrong nor the last time you are right!

:drunken:

PS - I have not been a participant in any of those fights nor have I asked any of them if they think this is a f'n game...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

DegenerateDave wrote:
But it could be just us crazy damn hoosiers.

DING!

:P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Exclamation Moint wrote:
How much money will it take to make it go away next time? Because there will be a next time. This is not a mistake that well-adjusted people make.

I don't think you know enough about the guy to make that sort of statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:23 am 
1000 CLUB

Exclamation Moint wrote:
How much money will it take to make it go away next time? Because there will be a next time. This is not a mistake that well-adjusted people make.

SlapShotEd, the cabbie in your example didnt do anything wrong unless you had put a ridiculous amount of bags you put in the trunk. Hes just trying to make the most money he can and you couldve asked him first. Why would punching him even be an option you would consider.

The cabbie had rules to follow by his company and the policy O'hare had set for the cabs who wait to pick up passengers. The guys who even route the cabs and direct the cabs were pissed at the guy and not to mention the guy got out of his cab and removed my luggage as I was yelling at him.To the credit of the people who direct the cabs they made the guy go back and wait to be called which pissed him off even more and I handed the guy who did that $30 bucks to make sure this clown wouldn't get a fare that night. You don't throw people out of cabs because you're only going 5 miles and the city of Chicago has rules in place with cab companies to make sure they live by those rules.

Why should I ask a cabbie if it's ok to take me 5 miles? Dumb question because that's what he's paid to do. I believe in karma so punching him was not an option and seeing I have only been in 1 fight my whole life and got sued for it so I thought better of it as Im a lover not a fighter anyway. :wink:

Funny thing is I over tip everyone in the service industry as I waited tables in my youth and it sucked!! So I make sure I let the folks know I appreciate what they do. I make it a point at Sox games to tip all the vendors a couple bucks everytime they stop by for beers or food. It's nice to see people's smiles when you do it anyway and I hope in some small way I can make their day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:25 am 

Slap Shot ED wrote:
Let's face it , Kane is not just a normal 20 year old kid .......He is the face of one of the hottest teams in Chicago and the NHL and has fame and fortune and women hounding him at the age of 20 and despite the cabbie being a tool and locking the kid in his cab and demanding money before he let's them out he had to know he's screwed for doing what he did. If he has another dust up of some sort then the Hawks will have to make a decsion to move him or let him sign with another team next year as he becomes a free agent.

Money makes all this go away and when they drop the puck in October it's all forgotten. I've had pissing matches with cabbies before as I pulled up with my luggage after a flight at O'hare and put my bags in the trunk of a cab and said drive me to Rosemont only to have the cabbie say "NO" , and made me take my bags out as he wanted a better fare to the city as he said 'i've sat here for 20 minutes and Im not going to make a $2 tip to drive you 5 miles . It took everything in me to not knock the fucking guy out. I've had buddies get into verbal fights with cabbies so I'll cut the kid some slack and call it his first mistake as I was not there to see what really went on.

I've done shorties out of Ohare. The cabbie can get a "short fare ticket" that let's him get back in line but not in the back of the line.