It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Too comfy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why would you expect more when this is what Mac came up with during his time off? He coasted the last couple of years during MJH. I'm afraid this is it, all talk about great radio and no follow-up to making it great radio. Right now it is mundane and certainly not worth either hate or love for this show. It's boring and predictable with no spark. Basically, it's disappointing, nothing more or less.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm 

Football season has just arrived, TeeLander. All good things to those who wait. I love the use of "dusting off" Who Do You Love? That's solid. Here's what else is much different for college and pro football: rotating Bears "insiders." None of us (on 9-1 show) wanted the same voice every day as was the case at my last stop and on almost every show in the market. Our rotation of Jim Miller, Tom Thayer, Zaidman, Hub Arkush, Dan Hampton (hopefully Doug Buffone and Ed O'Bradovich) and a few others will be much less monotonous. We're doing a fantasy segment every Thursday for "those who do." Paul Charchian, a little flakey but informative and opinionated, will be "the insider." We're going to do more college football than I have in recent years. We'll have a handful of guys who contribute regularly from around the NFC North (like former Vikings linebacker Pete Bercich, who's local) and Mike Floria from profootballtalk.com.

Relax.... we'll get your football itch scratched. As always, thanks for the input and if you have a suggestion, I always listen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Mac, I love the football talk, by reading stuff, must be one of the few that likes the show. My thing on the rotating Bears guests, is why you have them on, is it for diffrent observations, some I understand like Thayer, Zaidman, and Arkush because they are around the Bears a lot, at least I think they are.

I like Jim Miller, he's a Spartan, but do we need him every Monday, probably signed a contract to do it, but on the upcoming Monday show, you and Spiegel will be really getting it going with the Bears-Packers talk and maybe other games building steam, then you will bring in Miller for his weekly appearance, and it will be like the show comes to a halt. I always thought that hurt your other show down the dial on a football Monday, when you would have Greg Blache, and the Sunday/Monday Night John.

In my opinoin, I would rather hear you guys talk about it and just take calls,texts, or e-mails from the listeners, instead of basically stopping the show to have to do an iterview.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:40 am 

Yes, the rotation is to avoid the same, predictable voice from Halas Hall everyday. Best to ge more opinions expressed and that's what we're gonna do. Similar to what we did with baseball, but more voices than Schuster, Kasper, Brenly, Farmer. The more voices, the less duplicity. I went to middle school with Les....

Once a week won't be too much for Jim Miller... especially with Cutler here. I agree with you that Blache was a tough one once a week because we had to pull sentences out of his mouth. Miller isn't like that. He's a broadcaster and wants a bigger profile than he has so I know he's willing to work at it and not just cash checks. There won't be any Sunday Night John fly-bys. "Phil Simms" may check in on occasion, but no "John."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Mac wrote:
Yes, the rotation is to avoid the same, predictable voice from Halas Hall everyday. Best to ge more opinions expressed and that's what we're gonna do. Similar to what we did with baseball, but more voices than Schuster, Kasper, Brenly, Farmer. The more voices, the less duplicity. I went to middle school with Les....

Once a week won't be too much for Jim Miller... especially with Cutler here. I agree with you that Blache was a tough one once a week because we had to pull sentences out of his mouth. Miller isn't like that. He's a broadcaster and wants a bigger profile than he has so I know he's willing to work at it and not just cash checks. There won't be any Sunday Night John fly-bys. "Phil Simms" may check in on occasion, but no "John."

Doesn't Jim Miller have a big role in Sparty radio broadcasts?

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:58 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Mac wrote:
We're going to do more college football than I have in recent years.

:cheers: I will begin a rededication to listening beginning at 9am today.

Please rake Ron Zook over the coals for me for that pathetic performance last Saturday.

I'm starting to think that Zook couldn't prepare the horseradish for a Bloody Mary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
reents wrote:

In my opinoin, I would rather hear you guys talk about it and just take calls,texts, or e-mails from the listeners, instead of basically stopping the show to have to do an iterview.

Ugh ... the last thing I want to hear on a Monday after a Bears game is some meathead fan from Alsip tell me that Ron Turner needs to be fired. I want to hear from guys who really understand the game, but are willing to be critical/honest. I think Florio is good at that and I think Our Jim Miller has the potential to deliver as well.

I'm willing to give this show another chance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i agree with mel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
If you're bringing in "experts", I think I've suggested it before but why not a daily segment at 11am or some time that brings in the local writer for the local college football schools. There are enough schools for each day -

Monday - ND
Tuesday - Northwestern
Wed - NIU
Thurs - Wisconsin
Fri - Illinois

Or even have one day be a conference, just some regularly scheduled college football talk. Giving a recap of what happened what's coming up. I think the interest is out there. I love the Bears but even I want to hear something else during the week about college ball.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
If you're bringing in "experts", I think I've suggested it before but why not a daily segment at 11am or some time that brings in the local writer for the local college football schools. There are enough schools for each day -

Monday - ND
Tuesday - Northwestern
Wed - NIU
Thurs - Wisconsin
Fri - Illinois

Or even have one day be a conference, just some regularly scheduled college football talk. Giving a recap of what happened what's coming up. I think the interest is out there. I love the Bears but even I want to hear something else during the week about college ball.

As an NIU grad, I don't know if there's enough interest for a segment or two of NIU football. I might even PTFB at that point.

Whether it's a segment, hour, or whatever, one day for the Big Ten and one day for all other college football programs would be nice to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Jim Miller is great on Sirius NFL radio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am 

Old Man River wrote:
As an NIU grad, I don't know if there's enough interest for a segment or two of NIU football. I might even PTFB at that point.

Whether it's a segment, hour, or whatever, one day for the Big Ten and one day for all other college football programs would be nice to hear.

I kind of agree with you but I was throwing out an olive branch to our NIU fans out there. I'd say replace it with Michigan, or better yet, do the other 4 schools and use the Friday segment to cover the biggest game of the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
I kind of agree with you but I was throwing out an olive branch to our NIU fans out there. I'd say replace it with Michigan, or better yet, do the other 4 schools and use the Friday segment to cover the biggest game of the weekend.

I appreciate the olive branch, doc. Here's a slight variation to your suggestion:

Mon - ND
Tues - Illini
Wed - NU
Thurs - Rest of the Big Ten/NIU/local schools
Fri - Big Weekend Games

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 pm 

Sounds good. I'll hang up my computer and listen for our answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

Monday - ND
Tuesday - Northwestern
Wed - NIU
Thurs - Wisconsin
Fri - Illinois

I prefer the idea of a conference correspondent. SEC one day, Big Ten on another. It might be interesting to hear some yokel from Mississippi with a real passion for college football breaking down the games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:37 pm 

Mac wrote:

THANK YOU MAC!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Mac wrote:

This "Phil Simms" sounds a bit like "Not John Clayton"...(but he won't admit it)

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
good dolphin wrote:

Monday - ND
Tuesday - Northwestern
Wed - NIU
Thurs - Wisconsin
Fri - Illinois

I prefer the idea of a conference correspondent. SEC one day, Big Ten on another. It might be interesting to hear some yokel from Mississippi with a real passion for college football breaking down the games.

I agree, but no one will ever do that. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 pm 

Did you try out Rivals Radio, IB?

It's a whole another dimension of detail compared to a 15 minute daily segment but I thought you might enjoy their national perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I haven't had a chance yet. I was going to give it a shot this week and then life got in the way. Plus, I needed a couple of college football-free days. I'm getting over that now.

I've yet to hear the good Dr's thoughts on the BORDER WAR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Paul Charchian, a little flakey but informative and opinionated, will be "the insider

I heard him on last week and I do have to say I thought he was funny as hell. He dropped two lines that I had to stop and say to myself,"Did he just say that"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:04 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
I've yet to hear the good Dr's thoughts on the BORDER WAR.

I been patiently waiting on these as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm 

I hate to disappoint you both but I didn't really watch it. I was having a party and had the game on since I wanted to know what was happening and I'd watch the DVR'd version after to enjoy every Juice Williams TD toss to Benn, Fayson and the boys.

Was thoroughly disappointed with what little I saw, was drunk by the end of the night, and deleted the DVR version to save myself the agony. I kind of regretted that the next day as I thought I should see what exactly went wrong but I'll live without having to watch that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Paul Charchian, a little flakey but informative and opinionated, will be "the insider

I heard him on last week and I do have to say I thought he was funny as hell. He dropped two lines that I had to stop and say to myself,"Did he just say that"

He and Simms were both good. lot's of good information and solid opinions expressed. I don't think I'm gonna miss Sunday night John. That segment was fun, but it got a bit stale.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
That segment was fun, but it got a bit stale.

So you can relate. Bummer.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.