It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 pm 

I will be in Mac's area for a fantasy football draft this weekend. I hate to be an ugly American so I want to familiarize myself with some of the local customs. I understand that leaving a loaf in the toilet is seen as a high complement. Is there anything else I should be prepared for when drafting in Indiana.

I might be up for a pre draft drink at on Calumet if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Talk as loud as you possibly can.

Wear something skin tight or something 3 sizes too large....nothing in between

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:33 pm 

Knock out your front teeth before leaving for Indiana just so you fit in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
ZUBAZ!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm 

Study these before you go.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Have sex with your mom before crossing the border so you can get a feel for what the texture of daily life is like there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:55 pm 

Don't shower for a week then rub dirt all over your face.

Get a bad haircut

Get a "Traditions" trucker hat.

Brag about how Langels Pizza is as good as any downtown

Know your shit about trailers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
smokes and more smokes

did I mention smokes? oh....fireworks too. :roll:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I will be in Mac's area for a fantasy football draft this weekend. I hate to be an ugly American so I want to familiarize myself with some of the local customs. I understand that leaving a loaf in the toilet is seen as a high complement. Is there anything else I should be prepared for when drafting in Indiana.

Johnny's Tap in Munster seems like it'd be your type of hangout.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Kenny May's might be more entertaining though.

All your Indiana stereotypes tied up in a nice little bow and if you have a few extra quid, perhaps a toothless BJ might be in your future! :lol:

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Pizzeria Due great!
Pizzeria Uno not so good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

First have some cocktails and a smoke out by the pool and overrated gazebo. You start the food with 5 xl pizzas for every 8 guys. Get yourself about 20 lbs of fried chicken. A few dozen hotwings. A German Chocolate and a dozen cupcakes sit very well after all that. Plenty of beer, wine, and liquor. Have a cigar or other smoke. Make up as many parody songs relating to player's names as you can(e.g. "Ebony and Avery").
That's the way to roll in IN.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Voice your displeasure of "those people" from the South Side migrating to the area.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
DegenerateDave wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Kenny May's might be more entertaining though.

All your Indiana stereotypes tied up in a nice little bow and if you have a few extra quid, perhaps a toothless BJ might be in your future! :lol:

Go see a dentist, Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:28 pm 

While I'm originally from south Florida I moved to Hoosierland some 20 years ago, moved to Illinois for 4 years and just recently moved to Indiana. I got tired of living in a state that looks just like Indiana, where the people talk just like they do in Indiana and where the weather is the same as in Indiana all while paying outrageous property taxes, gas taxes and utility bills. Then there's the wonderful corruption and graft from the likes of George Ryan, Blago, Daley and Little Stroger to be so proud of. The only thing the state really had going for it was the cost of license plates but I hear Quinn is about to ruin that too pretty soon.

Make fun of Indiana all you want guys. You can pay for the privilege of living there. I'll take my 35 mile move eastward and enjoy the savings here in Illinois carbon-copy, next door neighbor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
StreetDoc67 wrote:
While I'm originally from south Florida I moved to Hoosierland some 20 years ago, moved to Illinois for 4 years and just recently moved to Indiana. I got tired of living in a state that looks just like Indiana, where the people talk just like they do in Indiana and where the weather is the same as in Indiana all while paying outrageous property taxes, gas taxes and utility bills. Then there's the wonderful corruption and graft from the likes of George Ryan, Blago, Daley and Little Stroger to be so proud of. The only thing the state really had going for it was the cost of license plates but I hear Quinn is about to ruin that too pretty soon.

Make fun of Indiana all you want guys. You can pay for the privilege of living there. I'll take my 35 mile move eastward and enjoy the savings here in Illinois carbon-copy, next door neighbor.

Are you a fan of MAC football by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:33 pm 

StreetDoc67 wrote:

Ah, we (at least I) are just having some fun with a thread that started with a reference to a turd in Mac's toilet. I think some of your points certainly ring true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 pm 

StreetDoc67 wrote:

Lake County Indiana is more corrupt than anyplace in Illinois. And after the property tax recalculation, it's no cheaper either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:36 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Lake County Indiana is more corrupt than anyplace in Illinois. And after the property tax recalculation, it's no cheaper either.

More evidence for....you know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
StreetDoc67 wrote:

Are you a fan of MAC football by any chance?

No more than any other conference. I pay attention to them but have no rooting interests. Got my degree from Valpo During the Bryce Drew Years so I have soft spot for the basket ball program there but have been a Gator fan since I was a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

More evidence for....you know.

I agree. Lake county should have been annexed by Illinois years ago.

That evidence is why I don't live in Lake County either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

Prepare for:

Stoners born in the early 1960s
Rehabbers bringing cases of Red Bull and 20 pounds of fried chicken

And also, you may want to pick up a dictionary to read while you're leaving your high 'complement' in the toilet. The dictionary would probably complement your draft day magazines nicely.

Compliments from Grid on your draft in Mac's neighborhood. Button #48 btw.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 pm 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Prepare for:

Stoners born in the early 1960s.

Or 50's for that matter!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

scorehead # 84 wrote:
The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Prepare for:

Stoners born in the early 1960s.

Or 50's for that matter!

Early 50s? Was the Elder hooka-in' it up from the shrubbery?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:09 am 

StreetDoc67 wrote:

I've heard all these arguments in the past and probably will hear them again this weekend. One of the key components in the value of property is location...and you don't have it. There is a reason Indiana is a cheaper existence than Chicago, and I assure you that it is not because it is a carbon copy.

Now if you would like to argue that NWI is the equivalent of some of the bland, mid 20th century vintage, middle middle class suburbs, I'd agree with you...but living in those locales is close to equal in cost as NWI.

I have had this discussion with Dan and others on this site before. There is nothing wrong with NWI, but don't tell me it's the same as living in Chicago, because that is simply not true.

And the people do not look the same...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am 

good dolphin wrote:
StreetDoc67 wrote:

I've heard all these arguments in the past and probably will hear them again this weekend. One of the key components in the value of property is location...and you don't have it. There is a reason Indiana is a cheaper existence than Chicago, and I assure you that it is not because it is a carbon copy.

Now if you would like to argue that NWI is the equivalent of some of the bland, mid 20th century vintage, middle middle class suburbs, I'd agree with you...but living in those locales is close to equal in cost as NWI.

I have had this discussion with Dan and others on this site before. There is nothing wrong with NWI, but don't tell me it's the same as living in Chicago, because that is simply not true.

There are honestly parts of NW Indiana that even people from NW Indiana are embarassed about: Black Oak area, Cedar Lake, South Haven and to certain extents Lake Station certainly promulgate the "trailer trash" image that we get labeled with. Then there are areas like St. John, Munster, certain areas of Dyer, certain areas of Valparaiso and Chesterton among others that are as high class and ritzy as any I have seen in the affluent suburbs of Illinois.

Indiana is a mixing pot of the well to do and trailer trash all within a 20 minute drive in any direction. I blame WALMART.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
DegenerateDave wrote:
Indiana is a mixing pot of the well to do and trailer trash all within a 20 minute drive in any direction.

Don't forget the toilet bowls called East Chicago and Gary.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:24 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
StreetDoc67 wrote:

There are honestly parts of NW Indiana that even people from NW Indiana are embarassed about: Black Oak area, Cedar Lake, South Haven and to certain extents Lake Station certainly promulgate the "trailer trash" image that we get labeled with. Then there are areas like St. John, Munster, certain areas of Dyer, certain areas of Valparaiso and Chesterton among others that are as high class and ritzy as any I have seen in the affluent suburbs of Illinois.

Indiana is a mixing pot of the well to do and trailer trash all within a 20 minute drive in any direction. I blame WALMART.

I never said the people are trailer trash, but NWI does not have a single municipality that is the equivalent to Lake Forest, Kenilworth, Glencoe etc.

My first hand observations are that it is the equivlanet of places like Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village and Buffalo Grove. There is nothing wrong with that, but they are not priced so differently that it would send me running for the state line.

As far as city living, I really don't think you could argue that any of the places you mentioned is the same as living in a Chicago neighborhood, for better or worse. Chicago may not be better, but it is not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I never said the people are trailer trash, but NWI does not have a single municipality that is the equivalent to Lake Forest, Kenilworth, Glencoe etc.

My first hand observations are that it is the equivlanet of places like Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village and Buffalo Grove. There is nothing wrong with that, but they are not priced so differently that it would send me running for the state line.

As far as city living, I really don't think you could argue that any of the places you mentioned is the same as living in a Chicago neighborhood, for better or worse. Chicago may not be better, but it is not the same.

GD - wasn't arguing your point, just stating that there are a handful of areas that certainly promote it moreso than others.

Indiana is a weird state and NW Indiana is even more bizarre than the state itself. I have lived here all my life and still see shit every day that makes me shake my head and realize that is why we are looked at so strangely from our neighbors to the west...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 am 

good dolphin wrote:
StreetDoc67 wrote:

Our Wal-Marts and Cracker Barrels are superior to yours, so go fuck yourself Mr. Dazzling Urbanite!! :lol:

the victory cry of low achievers