It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac really needs to stop people to turn off the show for a few minutes, ptfb, or anything like that. I can't remember him ever doing it on MJH or before that like he is now. It's really defeatist and doesn't fit with what his goal should be. Instead of telling non-hockey fans to turn the show off for awhile while they talk hockey, why not promise them that YOU and your show will MAKE IT INTERESTING for even them if they stick with the show. Tell me why I shouldn't punch the button. Make me think I missed something great if I did turn the show off for a bit. I used to think that with MJH when I'd miss something and it made me stay listening. B&B do this now when I see a post here about something funny I missed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
Frontman wrote:
Before you all get your panties in a bunch; it wasn't a slam on the Jewish faith by a long shot. However; many practicing Jews honor what their faith says, and quite a few holidays they are either required or its suggested they do not work. No more, no less.

But for those who asked for what days; I don't have the full schedule into 2010 handy; but I did find a listing for 2009 (and figure that would also have corresponding days in 2010, unless its a floating holiday that changes):

Purim (Nightfall of March 9 through nightfall of March 10)
Work should be avoided.
Consult a Rabbi if this is not possible.

Passover
No work permitted on April 9-11, 15-16. Work is permitted only on April 12-14 with certain restrictions.

Shavuot (Sunset of May 28 through nightfall of May 30)
No work is permitted

Tish'a B'Av (Sunset of July 29 through nightfall of July 30)
Work should be avoided. Consult a Rabbi if this is not possible.

Rosh Hashanah (Sunset of September 18 through nightfall of September 20)
No work is permitted.

Yom Kippur (Sunset of September 27 through nightfall of September 28)
No work is permitted.

Sukkot
No work permitted on Oct. 3-4. Work is permitted on Oct. 5-9 with certain restrictions.

Hoshanah Rabbah (October 9)
Work permitted with certain restrictions.

Shemini Atzeret (Sunset of October 9 through nightfall of October 10)
No work is permitted.

Simchat Torah (Nightfall of October 10 through nightfall of October 11)
No work is permitted.

Chanukah (Sunset of December 11 through December 19)

That's a lot of days off. Now, Spiegs might not honor all of them, or it might be a traditional orthodox thing, I don't know; and I have no idea what "certain restrictions" would apply; but sheesh gang. Don't find conspiracies every where you look.

Add on top of it taking off for his band? Maybe he's not the best fit for an on air show that's looking to build a following; if he'll be taking off. No more, no less than that.

I have good friends who are Jews who got what I meant. If anyone took offense; I sincerely did not mean it as an insult.

I have worked with many, many Jewish people over the years and they have NEVER taken off ANY of these days you mention except for Rosh Hashanah (and sometimes for that, just leaving a little early to make a family dinner) and Yom Kippur.

I work with a guy who takes many of these off, but he isn't even Jewish...I'm not sure what you call it, but he basically is "whatever the bible says, goes"...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Darkside wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Wow, insulting all the hockey fans that listened to your show probably didn't help.
Speigs, most listeners don't like you as it is. Why be rude?

What did he say? I chose Pandora today and sounds like it was a good call

Hockey fans are monosyllabic
Hockey fans do not own a car made in this century (coming from the crew that's stuck musically in 1982 and quotes movies all day from the 70's)
Hockey fans cannot use two verbs in a sentence.
Basically, hockey fans are dumb.

I'll defend Spiegs on the second count, because I think he's pretty up to speed on music, but I can't defend the rest of that, if he did indeed say that. Come on, Matt (I'll address you by name here in case you're reading), what does bashing hockey fans accomplish? Don't you do a show with two of them? If Blackhawks fans are stupid grunting morons driving shit cars, it's not unique to one group of Chicago sports fans.